• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back from Camino and thinking of Appalachian Trial

nalod

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2011, Finnesterre 2011,Le Puy to SJPDP 2011& 2012,Via de la Plata,Sambrasa 2012, Mozarabe 2013, Portugees 2013.PartNorde 2011, VDPL 2014,St-Guilhem 2014.Espalion-Roncesvalles 2014.Levante2015
Just back on Sat 7th May after waling from St Jean Pied de Port to Santagio and on to Finnesterre , stated St Jean 7th April arrived in Finisterre on 5th May. Wonderful and very moving experience. First Camino but wont be my last.
Now my thoughts are on mabey tacking the Appalachian Trial, has any other Camino people felt this way or has anyone done it. Hard to settle after 29 days of hard walking and a lot of thinking.
I live in Ireland.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The "AT," as it is known, is 2,175 miles long. Typically, hikers start in the spring in Georgia, often in the snow, and hike north. By the time they reach Maine, fall and even winter weather sets in, and the weather is a major safety factor. Most would say it is too late to start this year if doing the entire thing is your objective. It is all camping; no albergues , restaurants, or hotels on the route, and few resupply places. You can walk laterally from the trail and find grocery stores, but many hikers mail dried food to themselves for various stages. The rules, which are enforced by the National Park Service, require camping only in campsites, and fires must be in designated fire pits, so take a camp stove. I have done week-long portions in 'Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. The path is along the crest of the mountain ranges, so it is either up or down; almost no flat. In the summer, expect mosquitoes, though they are not as bad as the Pacific Crest Trail, where most hikers wear almost full-body mosquito netting.

Read Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods for a humorous account.

Cheers Falcon it is next year that I would be thinking off. I have just ordered 3 books from US on the topic, it is something for me to aim towards, whether I do it or not is another thing, but up to last September I had never heard of the Camino. Dreams are an important part of my reality.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
nalod said:
Cheers Falcon it is next year that I would be thinking off. I have just ordered 3 books from US on the topic, it is something for me to aim towards, whether I do it or not is another thing, but up to last September I had never heard of the Camino. Dreams are an important part of my reality.

Damn, that's really good -- "Dreams are an important part of my reality."

Hi Nalod, I could have written this post last year. Like you when I returned from my Camino I was not ready to finish walking and the Appalachian Trail seems like a great journey. Time has tempered these thoughts however. I read the book by Bill Bryson and highly recommend it, it gives a great humorous view of preparing for the trail and the joys and pitfalls that can occur. One thing that stands out in my mind regarding the Camino and the App. Trail is the solitude each one brings. That is on the Camino one can have the solitude if one desires it and the comradery that is always there when it is desired. Whereas with the App. Trail and having to camp out each night, be self sufficient for the most part, if one travels alone they will probably remain alone, on the Camino as we know that's not the case. One thing for sure they are both great adventures but totally different in the realm of what they provide to those who do them. A great hike on the west coast of North America is "The West Coast Trail". It is on the southwestern corner of Vancouver Island in Canada. It is very remote and takes a week to do, it is 75 km, sometimes walking in the forest and other times on the beach, each day brings different types of topography. It can be started on either the north or south entrances, I recommend the south and going north, and one must attend an orientation by Parks Canada before starting, also a permit must be in hand since they only allow a certain number of people to start each day. This was originally a trail designed to rescue people from ships that ran aground over a hundred years ago, then later a telegraph line. It would be interesting to read a blog or review by someone that has walked both the Camino and the App Trail though.
Altreya,
Barry

I'm looking at doing the West Coast Trail in Canada next summer....the AT, I am definitely not ready for yet....although the East Coast definition of "mountains" is akin to "hills" where I'm from. :) I had some friends attempt the PCT two years ago and both had to quit due to tendinitis and other health issues. Isn't there also another trail that goes down the middle of the US, near the Rockies?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
here's a second for Bryson's book. I almost killed his friend who threw away all their food because it weighed too much. :roll:

note that Bryson tackled the AT in stages. While he did walk the whole thing, he did different stages at different times.

Kelly

Isn't there a nice flat trail through the middle of the U.S. away from hills and mountains? :wink:

Thats what we need...1000 miles (1620 km) of flat country with albergues every 15 miles (24 km)

Actually, Bryson did not finish.

One day he pretty much woke up, noted that doing the AT was completely optional, and went home!

There is a lot of quit in that boy!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola...or, Hi Ya'all!

I thru-hiked the AT in 96',,,beginning at Springer GA on 1 March and finishing at Mt. K at Baxter SP. Maine on 5 August. Many begin fewer still finish a thru-hike. Finishing the CF you have one major elevation change...on the AT many...especially in the first major legs GA to Mt. Rogers in Virginia.
As with the Camino...less weight is best. That said, there are several legs where it's just not convenient to go into a town...so figure about 2.5 lbs of food on average per day x 5 days.
I planned well at the beginning...food, new socks, bag balm, trail mix mailed ahead to Post Offices.

Food consisted of PopTarts and crunchy peanut butter for breakfast and a variety of instant potatoes or rice for supper. I'd buy a squeeze bottle of margarine to add to the supper meal, or, if I passed thru a town close by...I'd get a package of hot dogs to add to the mix. Speaking of the mix...I dumped the trail mix. Too heavy and just tasted like gunk after the first two weeks.

Managed to stay in shelters the majority of the time and on occasion, a motel or lodge near a major town to "really" wash up, eat a steak...Shoney's buffett for breakfast..."It's all you can eat"...they lose $$$ on thru hikers.

The shelters are rather full in the beginning and/or near a close bye parking area. Weekenders carry a lot of stuff the mile or so, stay Fri thru Sun noon. They don't want to carry the "stuff back out" So, timing is essential Plan NOT to stay in these areas on a weekend, but DO plan to pass thru early Sunday afternoon. The "stuff" they leave behind is great!!! Cans of meat, fish, veggies. Boxes of wine, beer and soda. And, since they are gone...plan to stay the night and really pig out.

I had the habit of carrying a six pack of Coors with me. Hikers behind me (I usually started rather early) knew that if they approached a fast flowing stream that didn't have a man made surface to cross to the other side...they should face up stream ...walk about six paces in that direction and look back to the trail. If they were lucky...there...in the ice cold stream would be a cold beer.

Unlike the Camino...as you get into May thru July...there are many nights you will be totally alone in the shelter. Very restful and serene.

Buen "Maybe the AT next" Camino

Arn

renegadepilgrim said:
I'm looking at doing the West Coast Trail in Canada next summer....the AT, I am definitely not ready for yet....although the East Coast definition of "mountains" is akin to "hills" where I'm from. :) I had some friends attempt the PCT two years ago and both had to quit due to tendinitis and other health issues. Isn't there also another trail that goes down the middle of the US, near the Rockies?

Yes, there is a trail, but it is not flat at all. It is called the Contintental Divide Trail...People start in New Mexico at Columbus on the Mexican border and finish in Glacier National park at the the Canadian border. Last year I was camping when I met two woman who were hiking it. They both had previously had done the PCT and the AT!!! According to them the Contintental is the most difficult...major snow issues late into summer in the high Rockies...Grizzlies...mountain lions...difficult water sources in New Meixco

http://www.cdtrail.org

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are definately some historic and challenging walks/hikes in the U.S. but it is unlikely we will ever see a 'Camino' like trail supported by Hostels.

Ultreya
Joe

Those less ambitious, but who can handle themselves in French, might want to look at http://www.chemindessanctuaires.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=53 the Chemin des Sanctuaires, which takes you 375km from Montréal to Sainte Anne de Beaupré. Registration is C$60 and a donativo of C$10 per day; accommodation is in clergy residences, convents, senior citizens' residences and private homes. They provide support for only 4 persons per day over the 18 days, so you will need to register in advance.

There seem to be several other alternatives as well.

I've been on the internet looking because I want to do more hut to hut hiking. It seems there is an organization (the 10th Mountain Division ..?) that has a group of mountain huts in the Colorado Rockies that one can walk between. The 10th Mountain Division trained in this area during the second world war I believe. Other hut to hut hiking can be found in some of the eastern european countries and in the Pyrenees.

Of course this kind of supported hiking does seem to be largely in the hills or mountains rather than flatter terrain but there are some interesting alternatives out there.

John

ps The West Coast Trail is spectacular

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have read several books on the AT and it sounds tough! Bill Bryson's book is hilarious, but the underlying message is "it's tough!". Not sure I'd be too keen on climbing mountains in snow and rain.

for those of you who might like a "softer" trail you could try our "Bibbulmun Track" in Western Australia. Starts in Perth and goes for 1000kms to the South Coast of WA - Albany. Takes about 2 months end to end and starting in Perth in spring is probably best before it gets too hot. There are wooden sleep shelters every 15kms or so with water tanks, fire pits, toilets, etc. Fire bans are NOT to be ignored in Australia so do carry a stove. The entire track is through the bush, ups and downs but no mountains as most of the world understand them (even if some of the hills may be called "Mt this that and the other"). It is VERY well marked and could be done without a map and compass. I met one Scot who had walked mostly at night because of the heat (he chose Summer when it can be 40C) and he said the blazes are all luminous and light up for 100's of metres ahead with your torch. There are no bears or man eating creatures though we do have our fair share of the worlds deadliest snakes but to be honest, after 22 years in Australia and living in the bush for 7 of those, I have only seen perhaps 4 and they slithered away fast!. Lots of Kangaroos and magnificent bird life, none a threat to you.

The trail can be done in stages too which suits the locals (and is where I am doing my training for the Camino) but if you are visiting I guess you'd want to get the whole thing over and done in one go. Anyway, just a thought for those who want to keep walking :)

After I walked the Camino 23 years ago, I, too, thought I'd become an inveterate through-hiker around the world- but a wife, kids and mortgage have a way of tempering those wild oat daydreams.

Anyway, I'm on sabbatical from my job this summer and I'm planning on solo hiking the Colorado Trail in August- 500 miles from Denver to Durango, mostly along the North American Continental Divide. Although the length is about the same as the Camino Frances, it'll be very different: the trail doesn't go through any towns, there are no huts or structures (as on the AT) and it gets very isolated spending much of your time above 10,000 feet altitude. At the same time, I think my Camino experience very much influenced me to spend part of my precious sabbatical in this solitary, meditative and ambulatory manner.

I'll probably purchase a satellite beacon (my wife's idea) just to let people know once a day I'm OK (no cell service on most of the route). When I set it up, I'll share the web site with this group if you want to follow me along the spine of the Rocky Mountains. Ultreya to Steamworks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just an update (I started thread), thanks for all the response so far. I have now read Bill Brysons book a walk in the woods great read and entertaining, but overall light and he did not do a thru trial. I have now three more books Walking the Appalachian Trial by Larry Luxenberg, AWOL ON the Appalachian Trial by David Miller and How to hike the AT by Michelle Ray (all of which I had to order direct from the US (i live in Ireland).

Settling back from Camino is still hard so at the end of July I intend to do from Le Puy to SJPDP, mabey then things will be clearer, might meet some AP people on my travels.

I went to college in Maine, and our Outing Club maintained a long section of the AT. I have not done a through hike on it, but have done pieces of it from end to end.

I hate to be negative, but a trip on the AT would be a low priority for me. It is a long, muddy, eroded trail with bad weather, limited views, and not much variety. While it is a tremendous resource to the millions who live near it, it is not a trail I would travel to do. A trip on the AT could be a good experience,but I just think the same time, money and effort could be better spent elsewhere.

I've been on many of the trails mentioned in this thread---The Continental Divide, the Bibulmum Track, the Colorado Trail, several Caminos and Chemins and a number of French GR routes. I would recommend them all over the AT.

I'd throw in the Trans Canada Trail, the Pacific Crest Trail, and some of the wonderful marked trails through the Czech Republic as ideas.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
[Settling back from Camino is still hard so at the end of July I intend to do from Le Puy to SJPDP, mabey then things will be clearer, might meet some AP people on my travels.[/quote]

That is exactly what I am struggling with and what I am planning to do as well, but I can only take time off again next year. I think someone mentioned earlier that this is a fairly common reaction - i.e. difficulty in adjusting to every day life and wanting to be off walking again. Perhaps we need a special section for 'Coping with life after the Camino'?.

Hop off the App Trail somewhere near Southwest VA and have a chili burger and some sweet tea! Looked for Pals on the Camino but didn't find any.
pals01.jpg

Haven't been on AT myself but i do gather from the replies it's a very hard and tough trail,lost in the wilderness and with some difficulties in finding shelter and food....quite a change from the 'tamed' walk along the Camino....
For more confortable hut-to-hut hicking i would certainly recommend the Alpes , where France,Italy,Switzerland and Austria offer to reasonably fit hickers some of the most beautiful mountain scenery in the world (tour of Mont Blanc, the Dolomites,etc) ,with the confort of some of the greatest huttes you can think of (quite a few well over 3000 meters of altitude and some spectacular ones above 4000)
Good walk wherever you decide..
Giorgio

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In my case, I walked the Appalachian Trail first, then The Camino-the first being the Frances, then the VdlP.

Bryson's book was written as a spoof of the Appalachian Trail, to be entertaining and to sell books rather than to be informative. It only remotely resembles an AT through-hike and most readers who are familiar with one read the book with a certain amount of disdain. But it is good "humor", though, so long as one reads it in that light.

If you wish to find appropriate info on the AT, look to the forums on the 'net, just like you do here. When I walked the Appalachian Trail years ago there was a fantastic forum called whiteblaze.net that, I just discovered, seems to no longer exist. (If you find it, I am listed as 'highway' there, a name I was given many years ago). But, when I Googled "Appalachian Trail Forum" I did find this one which may have taken its place:

http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/forum.html

I am sure there are more. These forums are full of like-minded souls who have "walked the walk", just like here, on this forum for The Camino, and are more than willing to supply you with any information about the AT that you desire. Just PM me and I will be only to happy to oblige as well.

Anyway, It is quite hard to compare the AT with the Camino as both are so vastly different with the only common denominator being that on both one walks along each, generally with a pack upon one's back. But, the AT is four times longer in distance, is many, many times harder to walk, is much less "comfortable", takes 5 or 6 times as much time to finish and forces one to generally carry about twice the pack weight, of 35-40 pounds or so, or better. There is in deed a vast difference between snuggling up inside one's sleeping bag upon the Camino on top of a soft cot with mattress, inside a heated albergue in a village somewhere along The Camino, after the luxury of a warm shower, than shivering along the AT, curled up inside that same sleeping bag, dirty, laying upon a thin backpacker's mat, upon a rough-hewn plank floor in a three-sided hut upon a mountain top in sub freezing weather with wind blown snowflakes piling up on top of you, all the while you are praying for dawn and the weak, warming rays of the sun to appear somewhere out of the east. Yep, there is a big difference between the two. But there are similarities as well.

The sense of family is just as strong along the AT as it is along the various Caminos. The friendships you develop along each remains just as strong until the finish and, oftentimes, for years thereafter. But there is a difference here as well. Only a tiny fraction of those who actually start the AT are successful in finishing it. It really is that brutal a trail. If you wish to finish, before starting, pile all your 'stuff' into three piles. The first pile has all your luxury items. The second pile has all your 'nice to have' items. The last pile has all your 'necessity' items. Then, toss out all of pile number one, all of pile number two and about one half of pile number three. Get your pack to about 30-35 pounds and you just might finish it at Mount Katahdin, if you go NOBO- or Springer if SOBO!

The same would apply to the Camino, too. Here, though, the pack weight is a paltry 20 pounds or less. keep it below 10 kilos and it will be immensely easier for you.

Ultreia e suseia

I echo John's comments comparing (or not) the Camino to the AT. I have hiked the AT--again before I did the Camino Frances--from Springer Mountain to Harper's Ferry and then sections north. There is almost no comparison other than the community that forms around heading in the same direction, ending up in the same places at night and sharing food and stories. I was surprised though by the number of Europeans I met on the AT--including an English couple who carried cans of beer and soup! Other than trailheads (and the Shenadoah's where there is a coffee shop at every crossing), you will not find shops or other places to replenish/refresh. Nor will you find water that you don't have to treat (although I allowed myself the risk of drinking from piped springs). The weight you carry on the AT is much more due to food and water, and the terrain is far more demanding--but very little on pavement.

To follow the Camino with the AT would be an interesting experience but not the same. I will be returning in September to walk the Caminho Portuguese.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks again for all the replies. It is now almost three months since I posted my initial thread. I realize the Major differences between the Caminos and the AT and thats what appeals to me. It is a comfort zone that I want to get away from. I have now read quite a bit about the AT in books, forums and even you tube.
I walk every day for at least 2 hours and about 6 hours every Sat, Sun.(Hill walking)also attending Physio for problems with my Glutes and Iliotibial band in my right leg. I am off on the Le Puy section of the camino on 24 Aug and will walk for 4 weeks, starting in Cahors and going to mabey Burgos.. When I come back to Ireland in late September I will do some wilderness camping with an experienced camper. Hopefully then it will be clearer whether I am physically capable for AT, I would tend to trust my mental endurance capabilities. Any comments appreciated.

Many years ago I hiked the AT section in Pennsylvania. I made it to NY and got a bus home. It was the snakes that got to me most... they seemed to be everywhere, and they were timber rattlers and copperheads, not just little garden snakes!

And not getting a shower for several days is very, well... disheartening. I am not cut out for the Grizzley lifestyle, I guess.

Come on Reb...a few snakes!

I remember the PA section and nary a snake was seen. I didn't appreciate the sharp rocks though and moving down into the Delaware Water Gap was exhilarating. There's a pie shop there that makes the best pies. I stopped there and bought the largest strawberry-rhubarb pie they had and ate the entire thing right there on the curb...emmmmmmmmmmm, emmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Arn and pies are one!

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back