• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back from Camino Levante - loved it.

Mareng

Time of past OR future Camino
Started with C Portugues 2012 - and continuing…
First of all I will thank Jean-Luc and the lovely ladies at the Amigos Office in Valencia for helping me my first day of the Levante.
I am back, having walked end of April-end of May, contemplating my experieces. I walked by myself most days, in four weeks I met 10 other peregrinos, but never felt alone, loved the solitary walking in beautiful varied landscapes. Some days I had company walking and eating together at night. I stayed in small albergues some nights or in easily found single rooms for 20E. Had perfect walkingweather - no rain, not too hot. The only thing that stressed me a bit was having difficulty finding the camino as relied on physical signs and the map I got att the Amigos Office. Mostly it worked out well by asking people (speaking very little spanish), looking at the map and using common sense. Once I really got lost on my way toToledo. I was a very happy walker in the green rolling fields out of Bourguillos towards Cobisa. I so enjoyedwalking that time I missed a right turn and ended up i Layous, several km west of my destination. Problem solved by friendly bar owner calling a taxi for Toledo for me. After that my confidece in finding my was was a bit hurt - but I made it to Zamora. The choc of counting to 17 pairs of booths in the albergue i Zamora made my realise it had been a very solitaty, but not lonely, camino. To summarize my experience - I loved the Levante.
Still deaming at night of walking. Which camino next year.......Madrid, Lana, Mozarabe???

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Based on your feedback I think you will like Mozarabe. Meridá instead of Zamora. Start a bit earlier (April instead of May).

Still deaming at night of walking. Which camino next year.......Madrid, Lana, Mozarabe???

Hi, Mareng, I loved the Levante too. I only met two others between Valencia and Zamora, so that means there has been a 500% increase in the years since I walked!
The Lana is very high on my list, too, I think it would be great. Some other options -- This year, I walked the Mozárabe from Almería to Salamaca. More elevation than the Levante, lots of snow covered mountains in the distance, but the same wild crazy abundance of wildflowers and castles. The Mozarabe tracks the Christian-Moorish frontier during several centuries, and is chock full of great castles to climb around. Lots of info here on the forum, and the Amigos ASsoc. has a great on-line guide.

Other choices would be the Ebro (starting at the Delta in the Mediterranean), joining with the Castellano-Aragonés in Gallur. A particular favorite, expecially through the provinces of Soria and Burgos.

If you want more mountains, the Olvidado is gaining in popularity and accommodations. It goes from Pamplona to near Ponferrada, where you can continue on the Invierno to Santiago without getting on the FRancés.

I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that jump to mind most quickly.. In the signature beneath this post, you can find links to little blogs I had of these routes. Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sounds great Mareng! I hope to do the Levante as my next Camino. Like peregrina2000, I walked the Mozarabe this April and can recommend it.

Thank you Laurie and p_mci for your suggestions. I have started to read about those caminos on the forum. Mozarabe and Olividado sounds fantastic - must be on my must walk list, maybe too many steep decents for my knees right now, but that might change .C Ebro I have never looked at until today, a good option.
Laurie, your bloggs and threads on the forum are so interesting to read, I have and will continue to follow you.
But first of all - I must learn how to use gps until I start my next camino.....

First of all I will thank Jean-Luc and the lovely ladies at the Amigos Office in Valencia for helping me my first day of the Levante.
I am back, having walked end of April-end of May, contemplating my experieces. I walked by myself most days, in four weeks I met 10 other peregrinos, but never felt alone, loved the solitary walking in beautiful varied landscapes. Some days I had company walking and eating together at night. I stayed in small albergues some nights or in easily found single rooms for 20E. Had perfect walkingweather - no rain, not too hot. The only thing that stressed me a bit was having difficulty finding the camino as relied on physical signs and the map I got att the Amigos Office. Mostly it worked out well by asking people (speaking very little spanish), looking at the map and using common sense. Once I really got lost on my way toToledo. I was a very happy walker in the green rolling fields out of Bourguillos towards Cobisa. I so enjoyedwalking that time I missed a right turn and ended up i Layous, several km west of my destination. Problem solved by friendly bar owner calling a taxi for Toledo for me. After that my confidece in finding my was was a bit hurt - but I made it to Zamora. The choc of counting to 17 pairs of booths in the albergue i Zamora made my realise it had been a very solitaty, but not lonely, camino. To summarize my experience - I loved the Levante.
Great reading about your trip. I will also walk Levante but i will walk the Camino Requena from Valencia to Utiel and then join the Levante at Albercete. I cant wait to get started on my first Camino. Tanks for your comments, any last good tips?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back