• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back from Camino Portugues

ajones

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese - April 2015
Hi all,

I am back from the Camino Portugues. I left on April 5th and returned home on April 22nd, which was a week earlier than I had originally planned. I visited Lisbon and Porto and started my walk in Valença. Despite walking very slowly because I had a lot of pain on my left foot, everything went really well. I had two very sunny days and two very raining days, which were my favorite days. I walked mostly alone but the few people I met were really nice. I found so much kindness along the way that I felt really blessed during the walk. As faith would have it, the message at the Pilgrim's mass I attended was about generosity and how different the world could be if people were kind and more understanding.

Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations. I don't think I followed any of it but reading the forum/blogs did help me plan my very unplanned Camino. I am updating a blog I started during the walk with photos and albergues/hotels list. I also have a recommendation about the place I stayed in Redondela because it was very a special stay.

Buen Camino to all and I'll be back with the updates very soon.

Aida.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looking forward to hearing more, Aida. We start in Porto at the end of next month.
Jacki.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all,

I am back from the Camino Portugues. I left on April 5th and returned home on April 22nd, which was a week earlier than I had originally planned. I visited Lisbon and Porto and started my walk in Valença. Despite walking very slowly because I had a lot of pain on my left foot, everything went really well. I had two very sunny days and two very raining days, which were my favorite days. I walked mostly alone but the few people I met were really nice. I found so much kindness along the way that I felt really blessed during the walk. As faith would have it, the message at the Pilgrim's mass I attended was about generosity and how different the world could be if people were kind and more understanding.

Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations. I don't think I followed any of it but reading the forum/blogs did help me plan my very unplanned Camino. I am updating a blog I started during the walk with photos and albergues/hotels list. I also have a recommendation about the place I stayed in Redondela because it was very a special stay.

Aida.
Hi Aida,

I am leaving today for Lisbon. I look forward to reading about your experiences. Maybe I can incorporate some of your "unplanned" experiences into my planned experiences!
Restless

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hope to hear about your Camino, Aida. I start from Porto on Wednesday. I however, have planned where to stay for each day.
Johan, I will be walking behind you, I suppose.

I'll be in Lisbon from 3 to 5 May and in Porto from 5 to 7 May. Maybe we'll meet each other?

Oops! I will be ahead of you then. I will get to Porto on the 5th and start walking the following day. First stop: Vila do Conde. Hopefully our paths will cross. Bom Caminho!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all,

Aida.
Hi Aida,

I would be very interested to read your blog as I starting from Porto on 29 June.

Any tips/advice welcome :)

Hi all,

Aida.
Aida, do you know if the camino portugues go by Fatima? If so, how for from Fatima to Santiago Compostela? If I get done early from the el Camino Norte I may walk backward to Fatima?

El Camino Portugues does not go by Fatima. You can follow the trail to Fatima from Santarem or from Tomar and then return to EL CAminode Santiago or you can take a bus from either city to Fatima and return to el Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi all,

Aida.
Hi Aida,

Also finished the Caminho Português two weeks ago.
It was my first one and it was great!
Looking forward to reading your blog! Is it finished already? Would you like to share the link?

Thanks and bom caminho to all others!
Marius

Fr. Scott,

I just finished Porto to SdC. On the Caminho Portugues, there are blue arrows directly opposite every yellow arrow. It leads to Fatima from Santiago.

Fr. Scott,

I just finished Porto to SdC. On the Caminho Portugues, there are blue arrows directly opposite every yellow arrow. It leads to Fatima from Santiago.
That is fantastic. I plan to finish a little early so I will head down there., that is, if I still have the strength to do so after walking Norte and the primitivo. 11 days and counting and I will be heading for Irun. Thank you for the information.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back