• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back From Camino

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

It's strange being back home. It feels like part of me is here, and a part of me is still in Spain on Camino.

I'm one week home, but I still have dreams every night of walking Camino. Or being at an alburgue. Or eating at a bar -- either bocadillos or tapas. Oh, and Kas... orange Kas. And constantly mispronouncing 'naranja' and the sweet helpfulness of the server to get my pronounciation right. And the cathedrals and villages and fields and....

Yup, I'll be going back, and picking up where my son, Caleb, and I left off in Burgos. Caleb will also be coming back, too. In fact, he is one of the reasons that I left Camino early. As I wrote in an email home two days before departing Burgos:
"....an important aspect of the Camino has become the fellowship, helpfulness, and loving kindness of Caleb. I don't know when it happened, but what my Camino now means to me, includes doing the Way with Caleb."

It seemed like if I continued to Santiago alone as planned, that there would be an empty spot in my heart and soul without Caleb along. It was the Camino which did this. It was an evolution of personal expectations, hopes, and priorities which mentally and spiritually added my son to those things which were making Camino so very meaningful. This was not a matter of concern of being alone... if there can be such a thing on Frances. I've done thousands of miles of solo wilderness backpacking and am quite content with myself as my sole company. No, what was occuring on Camino with Caleb was very different than the need for social interaction.

As I said, Caleb was ONE of the reasons for my earlier-than-planned departure. The other reason was a growing concern with the inguinal hernia which had developed several weeks prior to leaving home and heading to the start of my Camino in St Jean Pied de Port. My surgeon felt that with the proper support belt, that I would be able to safely do Camino as long as I was aware of the danger signs of the condition, and had an adequate medical backup plan in case of emergency. Well, I had met both conditions and felt ok to continue on.

We comfortably made it to Burgos in 10 days with nary a blister or other injury. About three days out from Burgos, however, it felt as though the abdominal 'lump' was getting larger, and the achiness in the groin was becoming more pronounced, despite using the support belt. We tried artificially slowing our pace, but the rate of our pace didn't seem to affect the hernia's symptoms at all. After a time of back and forth email to home, it seemed the wisest course of action -- and a decision that was greatly underscored by my wife -- was to leave Camino at Burgos, with Caleb, and head to Madrid to catch a flight to Paris and then my flight back home. Boy, if any of you have ever tried to change a flight reservation ticket schedule through a third-party booking company from which you had made the original flight reservations, then you know how much fun I had in doing the same thing. It got done, though at a bit of a price premium for the change.

We had a full afternoon and evening in Burgos after we got settled into our room and relaxed a bit and got cleaned up. I loved Burgos; it is an amazing city. But for me, the highlight was touring the Cathedral. Words fail to develop enough adjectives to describe how profoundly grand and beautiful that church is. Even more special for me was being able to sit and pray in quiet within one of the cathedral chapels, and have a chance to remember the birthday of my oldest son, Joshua David, who died two hours after he was born. To have the time to contemplate this, within such a grand expression of God-inspired architectual design and artistry, was a definite spiritual profundity for me.

So now, I am not he only one enthusiastic to get back to Burgos. Caleb has said that he totally underestimated the impact of the Camino on him. He is now in the process of getting his next year's vacation time lined up, and is very much looking forward to returning with me.

In the meantime, I'll get the surgery done, get back into shape after recovery, and do my best to be as healthy as possible for our trip back.

At least by starting again in Burgos, I won't have to go over and down (definitely the down part, the up was just fine) those beautifully, majestic Pyreenes. Damn downhill, knee and foot pounding endurance test. :) Caleb and I made it from St Jean to Roncesvalles in about 7 hours and 45 minutes at a comfortable uphill pace. But the downhill -- the path was advised against for the last 3 kilometers by the Pilgrim Office, so we took the broken asphalt narrow road down into Roncesvalles. Originally, we were going to spend the first night in Viscarret-Guerendiain, but my feet were too sore to want to go on. So, we eventually joined a line of over 100 other pilgrims to get a bed for the night. I'm glad we stayed there. By morning, my feet were over being sore. Actually, they felt pretty good, though toward the end the day, a bit of the soreness did return. By day three, though, no more soreness. :)

Thank you all for your encouragement, concern, and positive thoughts. Although my plan to go all the way to Santiago was temporarily interrupted, I'm OK with it. After all, I have you guys to keep me focused and enthused.

---Dave

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Great to hear how it all went Dave.
And that you had such a great experience.
Now you've both got the Bug! :D

It's hard to explain the Camino to others who have never walked one isn't it?
It really has nothing to do with walking......:rolleyes:

Great to hear how it all went Dave.
And that you had such a great experience.
Now you've both got the Bug! :D

It's hard to explain the Camino to others who have never walked one isn't it?
It really has nothing to do with walking......:rolleyes:

Amen and ditto to that!!;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's strange being back home. It feels like part of me is here, and a part of me is still in Spain on Camino.

Welcome home, back to the familiar PNW. I remember feeling just the way you do.....some part of me also remains in Spain. For many, I expect this feeling lasts the rest of your life, and a part will ALWAYS be there. Too bad about the belly, but now you know what the Camino is really about. And you know that you will be back. And you also know that it will still be there when you do, waiting patiently for pilgrims who feel the soul of the Way.

Welcome home, back to the familiar PNW. I remember feeling just the way you do.....some part of me also remains in Spain. For many, I expect this feeling lasts the rest of your life, and a part will ALWAYS be there. Too bad about the belly, but now you know what the Camino is really about. And you know that you will be back. And you also know that it will still be there when you do, waiting patiently for pilgrims who feel the soul of the Way.

Thanks... I appreciate it.

Since 2015 I have walked a Camino every spring, two of them with my adult son and a third one with both of my sons and daughter in law. It was a blessing and joy to be able to share the experience with them and I treasure the memories. Next June I will be setting out on the LePuy route with two Camino girlfriends and I know the experience will be entirely different this time. I am excited, but have a small sad place in my heart that my "boys" will not be with me....I definately know how you feel about walking with your son, Caleb.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
... But for me, the highlight was touring the Cathedral. Words fail to develop enough adjectives to describe how profoundly grand and beautiful that church is...

Thanks for your posting...
It is good to hear that an earlier-than-planned departure can be a relatively positive experience... with pleasant anticipation for continuing next time.

And for my notes (what I want to see): Burgos - Cathedral

You had a great time! I think it must be great to walk with the own child...
Get well soon!
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Ah, Dave, I was wondering if you'd come to Santiago! Good to get an update and yes, it's always good to take the wiser course of action even if it means stopping early; and now you don't have to walk on to Santiago with the shadow of your hernia hanging over you every day. Next time, once you're healed up, you can walk in freedom!

That's great that you and Caleb had such a good journey together. Take care of yourself and keep us all posted.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Since 2015 I have walked a Camino every spring, two of them with my adult son and a third one with both of my sons and daughter in law. It was a blessing and joy to be able to share the experience with them and I treasure the memories. Next June I will be setting out on the LePuy route with two Camino girlfriends and I know the experience will be entirely different this time. I am excited, but have a small sad place in my heart that my "boys" will not be with me....I definately know how you feel about walking with your son, Caleb.

<Nodding in agreement> :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ah, Dave, I was wondering if you'd come to Santiago! Good to get an update and yes, it's always good to take the wiser course of action even if it means stopping early; and now you don't have to walk on to Santiago with the shadow of your hernia hanging over you every day. Next time, once you're healed up, you can walk in freedom!

That's great that you and Caleb had such a good journey together. Take care of yourself and keep us all posted.

Thanks, natefaith, you are so right. :)

Thanks for your posting...
It is good to hear that an earlier-than-planned departure can be a relatively positive experience... with pleasant anticipation for continuing next time.

And for my notes (what I want to see): Burgos - Cathedral

You had a great time! I think it must be great to walk with the own child...
Get well soon!
Buen Camino!

Thank you. Burgos was definitely a highlight.

I understand exactly what you are talking about mate. When I got back from the Camino I kept asking myself 'So what do I do now??'

I'm still trying to work it all out.... take care and keep smiling,

Brendan.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for such a happy post. I am sorry about your need for surgery but yay for both you and Caleb having such a wonderful experience on the camino. Burgos is one of my favourites too. Another pair of addicts to add to the list!

Thank you for such a happy post. I am sorry about your need for surgery but yay for both you and Caleb having such a wonderful experience on the camino. Burgos is one of my favourites too. Another pair of addicts to add to the list!
:D:D:D:D

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back