• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back from GR 65.3

ranthr

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
Hello!
Just returned from a walk on the GR 65 and the GR65.3 from Oloron St. Marie to Puente la Reina.
Started from Oloron 20.05. The day before a heavy rain started that continued for 4 days. Stayed the first night in Lurbe St.Christau at a place called Au Bon Coin. The next three days was a combination og walking and busstages. The paths were really bad and walking on the N-134 was really bad in the rain. There was in my opinion a lot of heavy traffic, big trailers, often several in a row.
Stayed the second night at the Permayou in Accous and the next in Urdos at the Voyageur. At the turist office in Bedous they warned about the path and said either road or bus. Since I did not want more time on the N-134 I decided to take the bus from Urdos to Somport the next morning. Luckily the weather was excellent in the morning, so after four days in the dark I had a splendid view at Somport and on the walk down to Canfranc Estacion and for the walking through Aragon the coming days.
Not many peregrinos on the camino. On the French side I met 8-10 people, at the albergue in Ruesta we were 12.
Before I started from Oloron I spent two days in Lourdes and was a bit shocked about the hordes of people, the big business and touristimpression. As a peregrino I met in Accous said: There were hundreds of souvenirshop, but I never found a food shop.
To me it was a bit like coming to Conques after some quiet days from Le Puy. The lots of people were overwhelming.
The camino through Aragon was very well marked. A lot of work had been done the last years to improve the camino. Many places there were walkingbridges. I had worried about some crossings on steppingstones, but there seemed to be bridges where my old guidebook said I had to cross streams on stones.

Randi

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In October I met just two pilgrims in the stretch from Oloron to Puenta la Reina! All the traffic seems to be in July and August.

It is even quieter on the Vezelay route. We were the first Americans ever at Argenton-sur-Creuse, and the first for over a month of all pilgrims, also in October! It was a fantastic gite, if a bit dusty in the corners!

Hi, I guess this question could apply to you if have walked the Camino Aragones. How many day of walking is there from Orolon to Puenta la Reina not counting any rest days if you took any? Thanks as I plan to walk from Lourdes this Oct I'm trying to calculate an approximated time frame.

Thanks
Zo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Zo.
6 days from Somport with 3days of 30km. 3 days from Oloron to Somport. I started from Oloron at midday and only went to Lurbe the forst day and to Canfranc Estacion the forth day.
So I had a shorter day to jaca.

Thank you so much for this information. I'm planning to walk this route next year and there is not a lot of information about this stretch. If you have the info, could you tell me where you stayed.

Envoyé depuis mon HTC Panache avec Tapatalk

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Ranthr for the info, I greatly appreciated now I just have to figure out all the logistics. :D

Thanks
Zo

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back