Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back from my 'Mini' Invierno

Charrito

Veteran Member
I only had time to get from Ponferrada to Monforte de Lemos before heading back home to Salamanca, but - as ever - it was marvellous.

A few comments (Peregrina2000, for your next revision of the Invierno Guide?):

It's the second time I've left Ponferrada early on Sunday morning, and there is absolutely nothing open until you get to Las Médulas. I couldn't get the landlady out in Café Bar Ronda in Santalla, and there was nothing doing in Borrenes (they open later). Therefore, stock up well. It was great to stagger into the garden in the Bar Tapería O Camiño for a well-deserved and a much-needed Estrella Galicia! Wonderful bowl of Caldo Berciano and excellent cheese with a mixture of different jams.

I stayed in the Hotel Medulio. In my view, probably too expensive for what it offers, and probably not even worth two stars.

As I mentioned last year, just before you get to the outskirts of Puente de Domingo Flórez, Hostal La Torre have a big sign pointing to a shortcut, which cuts out the town completely. You may remember what I said about the strange detour that the official camino makes you do, but I walked along Calle El Toral and had a coffee at Bar El Cruce (still very pilgrim-friendly).

As you cross over into Galicia, there's another place to stop, 100 yards or so to the right just after you've walked under the railway bridge: Bar Estanco, just opposite Quereño railway station. Pretty dead, but cold drinks are available.

Someone has put a couple of signs up in that dead two-house village (is it Noqueiras?) after Pumares. "Bienvenidos a Tu Casa" or something like that. There's also a new shrine to the Virgin up a twenty-yard slate path.

In Sobradelo, the first Cafetería (Pontenova Centro Social) has had a great uplift. They now have a lovely dining area out the back, and daily menus (different each day) for 8 euros, as well as excellent free pinchos. Bar Mar now has its covered side terrace finished. Both places are very pilgrim friendly. I didn't walk down to Meson Museu, as it was too early.

Bar Martillo in Éntoma is closed on Mondays, but they do plenty of platos combinados.

I stayed in Hostal Mayo in O Barco. Basic, but clean and cheap. Of the three places I have stayed there I still prefer La Gran Tortuga to this place or Pensión do Lar.

Plenty of eateries and drinking establishments in O Barco, but many were closed on the Monday.

On the way to A Rúa, Cafetería El Castillo has just reopened in Villamartín. It's a hundred yards off the camino, under the road bridge to the right before you walk along the tree-lined area by the river. Nice place with a great outside covered terrace/garden.

More to come tomorrow.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks Charrito for your updates. I plan to do that segment in December.

Just to add info for future summer (Jul/Aug) walkers about Villamartin. If you don't need to stock up or visit the town there is a bar opened maybe 20 meters from Camino at the swimming pool. Easy to spot it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just to add info for future summer (Jul/Aug) walkers about Villamartin. If you don't need to stock up or visit the town there is a bar opened maybe 20 meters from Camino at the swimming pool. Easy to spot it.
As I posted above, KinkyOne, on the way to A Rúa, Cafetería El Castillo has just reopened in Villamartín. It's a hundred yards off the camino, under the road bridge to the right before you walk along the tree-lined area by the river. Nice place with a great outside covered terrace/garden.

The place at the swimming pool has never been open for me, but that's because I've always been there in early June or late September!

Sorry about the delay in posting the second part, but I’ve been extremely busy.

Anyway, I decided to treat myself in A Rúa, and I stayed at the Casa Rural Pacio do Sil. It’s about a kilometre and a half before you get into town, but it really is fantastic, with marvellous owners. Here’s the link:

http://www.paciodosil.es/

I walked into town and had a meal at A Lareira. Pretty decent menu del día for 10 euros, but no stamp available.

I walked on to Montefurado with my stomach full, in the baking afternoon heat, and then caught the train back to A Rúa around 18.00. Why? Simply because the owner of the Casa Rural was going to drive me to Montefurado on the Wednesday morning so I could start there. O Barco to A Rúa is so short that this makes sense, and Laurie has it as an alternative in the Invierno Guide.

The train back to A Rúa was 40 minutes late, but I was in no hurry. The station in A Rúa is right down the bottom of the pedestrian street where Hostal Niza and three or four bars are situated. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to go up to the albergue to say hello to Asún.

Excellent breakfast in the Casa Rural, with home-made everything and loads to take away! Setting off from Montefurado around 08.20 meant that I could take my time and enjoy the incredible scenery, but knowing that I would get to Quiroga in time for a meal at Casa Aroza!

Kinky’s bar/chiringuito in Soldón was – as ever – closed, but it did seem that they were going to open in the afternoon.

Wednesday is market day in Quiroga, but after I had checked in at the Hostal Quiper they were on the point of packing everything up. I had a great welcome from the owners in Casa Aroza, but I had to wait until nearly 3 o’clock before there was a table available. No problems, as I was supplied with glass after glass of the local wine (at 50 cents a glass!).

Later in the afternoon I walked down to the Playa Fluvial in San Clodio. There’s a lovely walk along the opposite bank of the river, and a really nice cafeteria/restaurant to stop off at.

I also called in at Hotel Remansiño to have a look around. Warning: do NOT consider staying here! It is like something out of a Bram Stoker novel, and definitely not worth considering, even though it’s on the way out of Quiroga and would save you around 20 m¡nutes’ walking the following day.

Leaving Quiroga, I prefer to walk around through San Clodio. It’s only about 50 metres longer, and you don’t need to walk along the road past the Hotel Remansiño. As you get to the first bridge, the wayposts do actually send you through San Clodio, where there are plenty of bars open early in the morning, three of them just past the railway station.

I saw my first peregrino coming out of San Clodio: a Portuguese guy with a dog!

As I remember all too well, it’s a bit of an uphill slog at first, but once you get off the road and into the woods it’s pleasant. The fountain at O Carballo de Lor is a great place to have a break before setting off downhill towards the bridge at Barxa de Lor and around to Casa Pacita for a welcome beer!

Pensión As Viñas in A Pobra do Brollón is the same as ever. Nice welcome, great room, excellent food, lovely garden, long chat with the son, Bruno . . . They still pick up weary pilgrims from Casa Pacita if necessary.

From A Pobra to Monforte is the same as ever, with just a short uphill stretch and that horrible waterlogged area later on.

I went straight to the station in Monforte, caught the 12.08 train back to Ponferrada, picked up my car and drove home to Salamanca.

I’ll be back!

Last edited:
Sorry about the delay in posting the second part, but I’ve been extremely busy.
Kinky’s bar/chiringuito in Soldón was – as ever – closed, but it did seem that they were going to open in the afternoon.

Hi, Charrito, any signs of life or signs for the Molino, which supposedly has pilgrim accommodation in Soldon?

This is what the guide says, but I have never heard from anyone who actually stayed there.

The owner of the tourist apartments El Molino de Soldón now offers lodging to pilgrims. 40€ for two with towels, sheets, and breakfast. Additional pilgrim 15 €. Tel.: 679-455-126. More info on their blog: http://apartamentosmolinosoldon.blogspot.com/

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, Charrito, any signs of life or signs for the Molino, which supposedly has pilgrim accommodation in Soldon?

This is what the guide says, but I have never heard from anyone who actually stayed there.

The owner of the tourist apartments El Molino de Soldón now offers lodging to pilgrims. 40€ for two with towels, sheets, and breakfast. Additional pilgrim 15 €. Tel.: 679-455-126. More info on their blog: http://apartamentosmolinosoldon.blogspot.com/
Yes, they are DEFINITELY open. I thought seriously about walking from O Barco to Soldón, but the big problem that I see is that there is nothing else in the hamlet, unless Kinky's chiringuito under the bridge is open (summer only), not even a shop to buy things. You would need to stock up on food in A Rúa and transport it.

Anyway, I decided to treat myself in A Rúa, and I stayed at the Casa Rural Pacio do Sil. It’s about a kilometre and a half before you get into town, but it really is fantastic, with marvellous owners. Here’s the link:

I’ll be back!
Hi, Charrito, thanks for all the info. I am now going through it carefully for the updates. I have a question about Pacio do Sil. It's in the existing guide and described on Xestral 33, near Asún's home. But that would not be 1.5 km from town, so I am confused. The website you've linked to makes this place look much more rural than what the place I'm describing is, because it is right in town. Are there two places? If so, they both can't be named Pacio do Sil, and I am stumped. Thanks! L.

I’ll be back!
Hi, Charrito, thanks for all the info. I am now going through it carefully for the updates. I have a qestion about Pacio do Sil. It's in the existing guide and described on Xestral 33, near Asún's home. But that would not be 1.5 km from town, so I am confused. The website you've linked to makes this place look much more rural than what the place I'm describing is, because it is right in town. Are there two places? If so, they both can't be named Pacio do Sil, and I am stumped. Thanks! L.

It's definitely outside town, Laurie. You should be able to see it on this Wikiloc map: you just need to cross the N 120 (pedestrian bridge), and walk up a bit.

https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-sender...go-camino-de-invierno-sobradelo-a-rua-9109212

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's definitely outside town, Laurie. You should be able to see it on this Wikiloc map: you just need to cross the N 120 (pedestrian bridge), and walk up a bit.

https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-sender...go-camino-de-invierno-sobradelo-a-rua-9109212
Thanks. So then the mystery is, what is the place that I've been referring to as Pacio do Sil? Could it possibly be O Pillabán? The place I am referring to is a small hotel very close to the church that people think is by Gaudi but isn't (Nuestra Señora de Fátima) and very close to Asún's albergue also.

So, Charrito, for anyone else who wants to stay there, could you give directions as you are coming into town? Do you remember how to get there in relatio to the place where the signs split -- right for Camino and Asún's house, and straight for town?

Thanks. So then the mystery is, what is the place that I've been referring to as Pacio do Sil? Could it possibly be O Pillabán? The place I am referring to is a small hotel very close to the church that people think is by Gaudi but isn't (Nuestra Señora de Fátima) and very close to Asún's albergue also.

So, Charrito, for anyone else who wants to stay there, could you give directions as you are coming into town? Do you remember how to get there in relatio to the place where the signs split -- right for Camino and Asún's house, and straight for town?
Right: You stay on the Camino, turning right off the main drag (OU-536) onto Rua Fondareas. Continue past the church (Igrexa de San Estevo) and up Rua San Esteban y O Bouzo. Just where the camino swings off to the left down Rua Vilela, come off the camino and cross over the N-120 by a pedestrian bridge. Walk up another 100 yards or so and you'll find the Casa Rural Pacio do Sil right in front of you. There are two entrances, but it's probably better to go round to the back, where the garden is. They'll open for you on both sides, though.

Right: You stay on the Camino, turning right off the main drag (OU-536) onto Rua Fondareas. Continue past the church (Igrexa de San Estevo) and up Rua San Esteban y O Bouzo. Just where the camino swings off to the left down Rua Vilela, come off the camino and cross over the N-120 by a pedestrian bridge. Walk up another 100 yards or so and you'll find the Casa Rural Pacio do Sil right in front of you. There are two entrances, but it's probably better to go round to the back, where the garden is. They'll open for you on both sides, though.

Perfect! So, can I add these few words to the start of your directions --

At the outskirts of A Rúa, you will come to a split. The markings point you right for the albergue and the camino, left (or is it straight???) for the town itself. If you are going to Pacio de Sil, stay on the camino.....

And btw, I am pretty sure that the Pillabán is the place I had confused with Pacio de Sil. I know a pilgrim has stayed in Pillabán this year, and liked it very much, so I need to go back to my notes and try to find him or her for confirmation. Thanks again, Charrito.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Perfect! So, can I add these few words to the start of your directions --

At the outskirts of A Rúa, you will come to a split. The markings point you right for the albergue and the camino, left (or is it straight???) for the town itself. If you are going to Pacio de Sil, stay on the camino.....

And btw, I am pretty sure that the Pillabán is the place I had confused with Pacio de Sil. I know a pilgrim has stayed in Pillabán this year, and liked it very much, so I need to go back to my notes and try to find him or her for confirmation. Thanks again, Charrito.
Where the camino branches off to the right, you carry straight on down the main drag (OU-536) if you're heading for the town. It's just before you get to the Peyma Café/Cake Shop (which is on the left as you walk down the main road).

O Pillabán is a restaurant in the old town of A Rúa, with some rooms above. It's very close to the church just before you get to Asún's albergue.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back