• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back from short Winter Camino

LTfit

Veteran Member
Hi fellow pilgrims,

Back home after 2 weeks on the Camino Francés (Burgos - Sarria).

This is a short report about walking the Francés in the winter (from a "summer peregrina") and some suggestions for those heading out soon.

First if all, we were very lucky with the weather, many days I didn't even wear gloves although I normally always have cold fingers. The temperatures ranged from -3c (leaving O Cebreiro in the morning) to 15c in Astorga! Many days felt like spring and with a blue sky even on cold days, the walking was a dream. I especially appreciated the blue skies as The Netherlands is very grey and humid this time of year. We only hit snow on O Cebreiro but since then there has been snowfall around Rabanal and Foncebadón so be prepared!

I picked Burgos as a starting point as I could catch a bus from Barajas T4 within and hour of landing and in two hours I was at the Cathedral! I was surprised when in the evening there were 10 pilgrims at the municipal! I had no idea what to expect. In the ensuing 2 weeks there was an average of about 8-12 pilgrims on the Camino, maybe a bit more in León where some stayed 2 nights. Perfect in my book.

As others have mentioned, use www.aprinca.com as a guideline but always call ahead just in case. As an example an Italian and I wanted to stay in Molinaseca at the municipal albergue which was listed as open. I called twice from Foncebadón and once from El Acebo and no one answered. As it was closed when we walked by we continued on to Ponferrada making it a 45 km day (started from Santa Catalina de Somosa). Luckily we are strong walkers but take care not to get stuck!

Heating was on in all the albergues, in fact, many if not all kept the heating on all night! I was never cold and only had a +15c sleeping bag.

We also found that there were hostales and even municipal albergues open that were not on the list. This was the case in Pereje after Villafranca. Via via we were told that it was open and that we had to pick up the key at the bar. A lovely young guy runs the bar/restaurant and was happy to have customers this time of year. We gave him the email address of Lourdes so that she could add to the list. All in all we had no problems finding a place to stay and 95% of the time it was in municipal albergues. The only exception was in Moratinos where we stayed with Reb at the Peaceable (many thanks @Rebekah Scott) and in Albergue Oribio in Tricastela as we were warned not to stay in the Xunta albergue from several who had stayed there the previous days.

Suggestions? Take a thermos! I know that I will if I ever walk in the winter again. The Italian I walked with for about 10 days had one which he filled with hot water or tea. We still stopped at café's but it was nice to have that as well.

It was a bit strange to stop in Sarria but I knew from the outset that I had only two weeks to walk. It was also a convenient place to catch the train back to Madrid.

All in all it was a good experience. Although I have been back on the Francés on several occasions volunteering in albergues and walking a day or two, it has been 7 years since I walked the Francés from St. Jean to Finisterre. Should I do it again, it will definitely be in late fall or in the winter!

Here are a few pictures. Stay warm to those on the Camino and happy planning for those leaving shortly.

Ultreia!

Attachments

• DSC_0040.JPG
    DSC_0040.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 250
  • DSC_0049.JPG
    DSC_0049.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0068.JPG
    DSC_0068.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
  • DSC_0085-EFFECTS.jpg
    DSC_0085-EFFECTS.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 106
  • DSC_0094.JPG
    DSC_0094.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 97
  • DSC_0113.JPG
    DSC_0113.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0134.JPG
    DSC_0134.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0143.JPG
    DSC_0143.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 96
  • DSC_0164.JPG
    DSC_0164.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 97
  • DSC_0191.JPG
    DSC_0191.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 85
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for the write up, I'm not planning on a winter journey although you never know what the future holds.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi fellow pilgrims,

Back home after 2 weeks on the Camino Francés (Burgos - Sarria).

This is a short report about walking the Francés in the winter (from a "summer peregrina") and some suggestions for those heading out soon.

First if all, we were very lucky with the weather, many days I didn't even wear gloves although I normally always have cold fingers. The temperatures ranged from -3c (leaving O Cebreiro in the morning) to 15c in Astorga! Many days felt like spring and with a blue sky even on cold days, the walking was a dream. I especially appreciated the blue skies as The Netherlands is very grey and humid this time of year. We only hit snow on O Cebreiro but since then there has been snowfall around Rabanal and Foncebadón so be prepared!

I picked Burgos as a starting point as I could catch a bus from Barajas T4 within and hour of landing and in two hours I was at the Cathedral! I was surprised when in the evening there were 10 pilgrims at the municipal! I had no idea what to expect. In the ensuing 2 weeks there was an average of about 8-12 pilgrims on the Camino, maybe a bit more in León where some stayed 2 nights. Perfect in my book.

As others have mentioned, use www.aprinca.com as a guideline but always call ahead just in case. As an example an Italian and I wanted to stay in Molinaseca at the municipal albergue which was listed as open. I called twice from Foncebadón and once from El Acebo and no one answered. As it was closed when we walked by we continued on to Ponferrada making it a 45 km day (started from Santa Catalina de Somosa). Luckily we are strong walkers but take care not to get stuck!

Heating was on in all the albergues, in fact, many if not all kept the heating on all night! I was never cold and only had a +15c sleeping bag.

We also found that there were hostales and even municipal albergues open that were not on the list. This was the case in Pereje after Villafranca. Via via we were told that it was open and that we had to pick up the key at the bar. A lovely young guy runs the bar/restaurant and was happy to have customers this time of year. We gave him the email address of Lourdes so that she could add to the list. All in all we had no problems finding a place to stay and 95% of the time it was in municipal albergues. The only exception was in Moratinos where we stayed with Reb at the Peaceable (many thanks @Rebekah Scott) and in Albergue Oribio in Tricastela as we were warned not to stay in the Xunta albergue from several who had stayed there the previous days.

Suggestions? Take a thermos! I know that I will if I ever walk in the winter again. The Italian I walked with for about 10 days had one which he filled with hot water or tea. We still stopped at café's but it was nice to have that as well.

It was a bit strange to stop in Sarria but I knew from the outset that I had only two weeks to walk. It was also a convenient place to catch the train back to Madrid.

All in all it was a good experience. Although I have been back on the Francés on several occasions volunteering in albergues and walking a day or two, it has been 7 years since I walked the Francés from St. Jean to Finisterre. Should I do it again, it will definitely be in late fall or in the winter!

Here are a few pictures. Stay warm to those on the Camino and happy planning for those leaving shortly.

Ultreia!
Thankyou for sharing your info and photos and inspiring me to do a winter camino next year. What time in winter is best set out?
We leave in May for the del Norte, so a winter CF would be a nice plan to have in the background. Cheers!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your walk. It will be ever so helpful to those who want to walk in winter and it seems those numbers are growing.

Thankyou for sharing your info and photos and inspiring me to do a winter camino next year. What time in winter is best set out?
We leave in May for the del Norte, so a winter CF would be a nice plan to have in the background. Cheers!

Hi @Loretta O'Sullivan
Giving advice about when to start is tricky, especially in the winter! A week before I started out (December 27th) there was quite a bit of snow around Rabanal/Foncebadón but when we made the climb the sun came out and it was dry. That was a blessing as the downhill to El Acebo and Molinaseca is never ending.

Overall we were told that it is normally much colder, for example in El Burgo Ranero it is usually around -3c and it was "only" 6c and dry. The wind was something to contend with along the Meseta, especially from Burgos to Castrojeriz but I live in windy Holland and so am kind of used to this. I never wears hats at home, even in the winter, but I kept my cap on at all times to protect my ears and keep my head warm.

The day I left Sarria it was raining but the previous 2 weeks were dry except for the occasional lovizna or drizzle which didn't even require a poncho. The forecast was more rain.

So...I haven't really answered your question as the weather is just too fickle to predict. I would assume that January-February would be colder with more snow than December but one never knows.

The Norte should be lovely in May. I've walked it in the early summer and fall and had beter weather in October than in June. Go figure.

Ultreia.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi @Loretta O'Sullivan
Giving advice about when to start is tricky, especially in the winter! A week before I started out (December 27th) there was quite a bit of snow around Rabanal/Foncebadón but when we made the climb the sun came out and it was dry. That was a blessing as the downhill to El Acebo and Molinaseca is never ending.

Overall we were told that it is normally much colder, for example in El Burgo Ranero it is usually around -3c and it was "only" 6c and dry. The wind was something to contend with along the Meseta, especially from Burgos to Castrojeriz but I live in windy Holland and so am kind of used to this. I never wears hats at home, even in the winter, but I kept my cap on at all times to protect my ears and keep my head warm.

The day I left Sarria it was raining but the previous 2 weeks were dry except for the occasional lovizna or drizzle which didn't even require a poncho. The forecast was more rain.

So...I haven't really answered your question as the weather is just too fickle to predict. I would assume that January-February would be colder with more snow than December but one never knows.

The Norte should be lovely in May. I've walked it in the early summer and fall and had beter weather in October than in June. Go figure.

Ultreia.
Thankyou for your weather forecast/thoughts and yes it's very hard to predict even here in sunny Perth! So looking forward to the Norte and what it will bring but will keep the winter camino on the back burner. Happy New Year!

Thank you for description and pictures! I have really been wondering what a winter camino is like.

Congratulations on a extra meaningful experience!

Did you wear trail shoes/trainers or boots? I'm thinking of going in February, think I'll get on better with shoes/trainers than boots, but if the weather is really bad, I'm wondering if that will be a good decision.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is a REALLY late response to your post. For some reason I missed it!

I wore Salomon Goretex low trail shoes, have yet to wear boots on the Camino but that is my personal choice. I brought along gaitors in case of snow and mud but only used them a few days.

Still planning on a February Camino?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back