• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back home again

IngridF

Intrepid Peregrina
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2015 ,2017, 2019
Back home again. 11 weeks of a journey with twists and turns. Each Camino has its moment when you ask yourself "why am I doing this" . Then you find yourself in a place physically or mentally when you have the answer. This journey started in Ireland with visits to Dublin, Donegal and Galway. In Dublin I had the pleasure of visiting with the Irish Pilgrim Community, in Donegal I walked the Slieve League and in Galway, I enjoyed the company of 11 Americans during a 1 week
celtic/contempletive retreat. I also attempted to walk the 5 Irish/Celtic Pilgrim mounts and very quickly realized that without a car this was not going to happen. So, somewhat dejected I left earlier than planned and flew to Santiago.

I originally wanted to visit Seville/Granada/Cordoba, but by that time the heatwave hit and I decided to change my plans and went to Porto and walked the Camino P. Coastal, with mostly all German pilgrims. Luckily, I speak the language and had tons of fun. 2 days of this route I was not happy as I walked almost always on cobbled streets and asphalt, but the rest was great. Whilst on the homestretch, I got a text that they needed a relief hospitalera in Sahagun and so off I went to serve for 2 weeks at the Albergue Monasterio Santa Cruz with the Marist brothers and the Benedectine nuns. I loved it there and being hospitalera is in my blood.

Decision time... do I go to Leon and walk the San Salvador? Heatwave still on, and reports of not many walking and so I passed on this for the second time. Instead I went to Ponferrada and walked to Sarria, a stretch I was not able to complete walking in 2012 on my first Camino due to a serious injury. I walked all the variations available to me, including the Pradela route - upsolutely amazing and I even stayed with Jesus in Villafranca de Bierzo and picked up some little hitchhikers of the bloodsucking kind. I should have known better - lol I steamed up O'Cebreiro and continued on to Fonfria and truly was questioning my sanity for doing this in 38 degrees. I survived. Walking into Sarria was surreal this time, it was the end of my 2012 Camino - finally and boy did it feel good. Took train to Santiago , stayed with friends for a spell and went back down on the Camino Portuguese to walk the alternative from Pontevedra called Espiritual - oh my what a wonderful and magical route, especially the portion of Stone and Water - I was there early morning, and had that part all to myself. The boat ride was a hoot and I met the most wonderful pilgrims along this way, so happy I went back to do this portion.

Time spend in Santiago for the Fiesta days, hanging out with Tom and other Pilgrim Office new and old friends, hanging out with my Australian friend studying Spanish in Santiago and making new friends at Nate and Faith Pilgrim House. Always welcoming this Boomerang pilgrim, as Sybille Yates now calls me. I also met up with pilgrims that have been my friends since I started in 2012 and were walking the same time, different routes and we met up. Such joyful reunions. Hanging out at a new bar in Santiago, called Conga 7 on Rua Conga, attending different church services, meeting up with pilgrims who had been my charges in Sahagun or I walked with from Ponferrada to Sarria. I also spend some time in Muxia.

The last month was unsettling, after the Feast days, I really wanted to be home but had signed up to a workshop (which was wonderful) near Astorga, at Flores del Camino exploring the mysteries and stories and geometric designs of the Santiago Rose, Templar Rose and Bright Morning Star. What an intense week of learning new concepts and drawing geometrical designs (I hadn't touched a compass since hightschool), the last 2 days we went on a sightseeing tour, to compliment what we had learned and visited Burgos Cathedral, Torres del Rio, Eunate and Ucero. That day when we were dropped off at the airport in Madrid. .. I bought a ticket home earlier than originally planned.

So, I never got to visit Seville/Granada/Cordoba or walked the San Salvador nor Primitivo nor the celtic paths in Ireland... I found myself in places not always of my own choosing. There is a facebook group discussion going on about how you walk your camino, is it My Camino, Your Camino, Our Camino etc... you know the drill.

Well this time, the Camino WALKED ME!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This morning as I am reading the forum, your picture appeared and I thought to myself, I know that lady! I first met you in Sahagun where you were one of the hospitaleras. Loved that place! And, then, in Fonfria where you insisted to share one of "those" aperetifs! It did me in! So glad that you had such a marvelous trip and I am envious. Because I don't have a picture in my avatar, you might remember me as I was the oldest one there. Hope our paths cross again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This morning as I am reading the forum, your picture appeared and I thought to myself, I know that lady! I first met you in Sahagun where you were one of the hospitaleras. Loved that place! And, then, in Fonfria where you insisted to share one of "those" aperetifs! It did me in! So glad that you had such a marvelous trip and I am envious. Because I don't have a picture in my avatar, you might remember me as I was the oldest one there. Hope our paths cross again.
Oh yes I remember you lol sorry about the Orujo...NOT!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Back home again. 11 weeks of a journey with twists and turns. Each Camino has its moment when you ask yourself "why am I doing this" . Then you find yourself in a place physically or mentally when you have the answer. This journey started in Ireland with visits to Dublin, Donegal and Galway. In Dublin I had the pleasure of visiting with the Irish Pilgrim Community, in Donegal I walked the Slieve League and in Galway, I enjoyed the company of 11 Americans during a 1 week
celtic/contempletive retreat. I also attempted to walk the 5 Irish/Celtic Pilgrim mounts and very quickly realized that without a car this was not going to happen. So, somewhat dejected I left earlier than planned and flew to Santiago.

I originally wanted to visit Seville/Granada/Cordoba, but by that time the heatwave hit and I decided to change my plans and went to Porto and walked the Camino P. Coastal, with mostly all German pilgrims. Luckily, I speak the language and had tons of fun. 2 days of this route I was not happy as I walked almost always on cobbled streets and asphalt, but the rest was great. Whilst on the homestretch, I got a text that they needed a relief hospitalera in Sahagun and so off I went to serve for 2 weeks at the Albergue Monasterio Santa Cruz with the Marist brothers and the Benedectine nuns. I loved it there and being hospitalera is in my blood.

Decision time... do I go to Leon and walk the San Salvador? Heatwave still on, and reports of not many walking and so I passed on this for the second time. Instead I went to Ponferrada and walked to Sarria, a stretch I was not able to complete walking in 2012 on my first Camino due to a serious injury. I walked all the variations available to me, including the Pradela route - upsolutely amazing and I even stayed with Jesus in Villafranca de Bierzo and picked up some little hitchhikers of the bloodsucking kind. I should have known better - lol I steamed up O'Cebreiro and continued on to Fonfria and truly was questioning my sanity for doing this in 38 degrees. I survived. Walking into Sarria was surreal this time, it was the end of my 2012 Camino - finally and boy did it feel good. Took train to Santiago , stayed with friends for a spell and went back down on the Camino Portuguese to walk the alternative from Pontevedra called Espiritual - oh my what a wonderful and magical route, especially the portion of Stone and Water - I was there early morning, and had that part all to myself. The boat ride was a hoot and I met the most wonderful pilgrims along this way, so happy I went back to do this portion.

Time spend in Santiago for the Fiesta days, hanging out with Tom and other Pilgrim Office new and old friends, hanging out with my Australian friend studying Spanish in Santiago and making new friends at Nate and Faith Pilgrim House. Always welcoming this Boomerang pilgrim, as Sybille Yates now calls me. I also met up with pilgrims that have been my friends since I started in 2012 and were walking the same time, different routes and we met up. Such joyful reunions. Hanging out at a new bar in Santiago, called Conga 7 on Rua Conga, attending different church services, meeting up with pilgrims who had been my charges in Sahagun or I walked with from Ponferrada to Sarria. I also spend some time in Muxia.

The last month was unsettling, after the Feast days, I really wanted to be home but had signed up to a workshop (which was wonderful) near Astorga, at Flores del Camino exploring the mysteries and stories and geometric designs of the Santiago Rose, Templar Rose and Bright Morning Star. What an intense week of learning new concepts and drawing geometrical designs (I hadn't touched a compass since hightschool), the last 2 days we went on a sightseeing tour, to compliment what we had learned and visited Burgos Cathedral, Torres del Rio, Eunate and Ucero. That day when we were dropped off at the airport in Madrid. .. I bought a ticket home earlier than originally planned.

So, I never got to visit Seville/Granada/Cordoba or walked the San Salvador nor Primitivo nor the celtic paths in Ireland... I found myself in places not always of my own choosing. There is a facebook group discussion going on about how you walk your camino, is it My Camino, Your Camino, Our Camino etc... you know the drill.

Great story! Now I am curious to learn how one finds out about such workshops--is there a particular resource?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Glad to see that you have landed safely, Ingrid, with lots of different experiences under your belt. You got what was meant for you. This time!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Gosh I was dizzy reading your fantastic post! You sure did pack alot into your camino! Huge admiration and respect,Well done.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back