• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back injury 4 weeks out

Tammom

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2023
Advice please.
I was in a car wreck 2 months before my Portuguese Camino. Back pain stoped my training. I went into physical therapy. Now, at 3 weeks before I leave, I’m trying to decide whether to postpone.

I walked 1.5 miles with 4.5 kg of total pack weight today with some pain. I’m planning to slowly increase each day. hopefully the pain won’t worsen.

I know I can transport my pack, but I am not sure that will be enough. I have a doctors appointment, but am hoping to also hear thoughts from some pilgrims.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Getting our opinions will not do you any good. Only your physician is in a good place to judge your current physical ability and risk for further injury. That said - if you are in pain after walking 1.5 miles with 4.5kg on your back with only 3 weeks left to departure - I tend to think you are better off postponing. Even if you do luggage transport every day - your body will be under a lot of stress while walking which could aggravate your injuries. But who knows - your doctor may say otherwise. If your doctor says to postpone - do what it takes to get fully healed and plan again. I know experiencing delays is heartbreaking- but doing further damage must be avoided. Your body will thank you for listening to it and your doctor now. The Camino will still be there when you are physically ready.

I am not a doctor. If I were a doctor I would decline to give you an opinion without a face to face consultation.

I really sympathise, but only your doctor can advise you.

As for postponing, the camino has been there for getting on for twelve centuries. It won't run away. We have a very good friend and member of our local camino supporters group. He is about to begin his first camino. He is 85 (and he is very, very excited).

I think you need to be able to do at least 5 miles comfortably with no pain that day or the next. Otherwise it’s just going to be a misery. There are legs where you will have to walk at least that to get to the next stop. And if your body breaks down half way, then you will likely inconvenience others too. Relax and heal. The Camino will wait for you.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My suggestion to you Tammom is to intentionally reframe your thinking about this Camino. Put these thoughts into your decision making:

I will be walking the Camino.
I will do it when I and my doctor are both reasonably certain that I can complete it without pain or further injury.
I’m going to let go of the present timeline so I can fully use this time to heal.
I’m going to maintain fitness as is reasonable during this time keeping the focus on healing.
I will remind myself that a Camino rescheduled isn’t a catastrophe or failure. Life has unexpected twists and turns and one of the lessons is to accept reality and make adjustments—just as we all do as we walk the Camino.
The accident and your injuries are not an interruption to your Camino plans. That accident is now a part of your unique Camino story.

Advice please.
I was in a car wreck 2 months before my Portuguese Camino. Back pain stoped my training. I went into physical therapy. Now, at 3 weeks before I leave, I’m trying to decide whether to postpone.

I walked 1.5 miles with 4.5 kg of total pack weight today with some pain. I’m planning to slowly increase each day. hopefully the pain won’t worsen.My suggestion

I know I can transport my pack, but I am not sure that will be enough. I have a doctors appointment, but am hoping to also hear thoughts from some pilgrims.

Last edited:
Train without backpack until you can walk 5-8 miles with no back pain. If you can do that in the next week or two, showing continuous improvement, you might be ready. Listen to your body.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Advice please.

I walked 1.5 miles with 4.5 kg of total pack weight today with some pain. I’m planning to slowly increase each day. hopefully the pain won’t worsen.

Don’t push it - you could really hurt yourself. Fully recover and then go. The Camino is not going anywhere!

Welcome to the Forum @Tammom !

Where were you going to start the Camino Portuguese?

Some good thoughts above, and to add in my two cents: overexertion can be an enemy of healing, and if you think you’ll be overdoing it right now in training as well as in three weeks when you’re on the Camino, I’d say to just focus on recovering and getting to 100% right now before you take on the pilgrimage (later). If you’re fully recovered before you walk, you’ll have more confidence in what you’re doing and in managing the “normal” aches and pains that come with the Camino, plus you’ll be able to deal better with the normal things that can come, like long stretches without access to food and water, dehydration, heat, steep hills, cobblestones, sleeping on dodgy mattresses, etc. Even the nicest hotels can have bad mattresses, unfortunately, as I’ve learned the hard way!

The other option would be to come and try it in three weeks as planned, but have a solid exit strategy in case it’s just too much for your healing back: I.e. going to the seaside and relaxing or visiting other parts of Europe.

Get well soon!

First, my sympathies. You and your physician must review your condition prior to making a decision.
That being said, after suffering an acute injury to my lower spine at the beginning of a once in a lifetime trip I discovered crutches relieved pressure on nerves allowing me to walk quite well, including several days of trail hiking in mountains. The down side was I had to be cautious not to cause overuse injury to my shoulders. Feel free to try it out, but you don't want to compound your problems so discuss with your physician before committing to a long trip.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You would be walking on uneven surfaces, sleeping on mattresses of varying qualities and conditions, standing or sitting a majority of the day, traveling in a cramped airline seat, and be far away from your personal healthcare system. I’m sure that another time may be the better time.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.