• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back on the Camino: Geneva on the 25th March ...

futurefjp

Camino enthusiast.
Time of past OR future Camino
So ... I got a cheap flight from Leeds to Geneva and I have 28 days to go as far south east as I can in those days - no rest days ... I've decided to stop the resting (life's too short). But, obviously I am quite frightened about the possible 'expense' of Switzerland - is there anywhere 'cheap' to stay local? Hostel, Backpackers, Gites, etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think that in every blog I've read so far the switzerland is described as 'ridiculously expensive'. lots of people camp. there are some pilgrim accommodations at least from martigny onwards, in range of chf 25-30 per night.
two pdf from the official site: https://www.viefrancigene.org/static/uploads/liste_des_hebergements_pour_aevf_new.pdf and https://www.viefrancigene.org/static/uploads/valais_accommodation_-_foglio3.pdf.
I wonder how easy it's to hitch to France and start from there? Or perhaps I write to the persons in Geneva offering accommodation?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So ... I got a cheap flight from Leeds to Geneva and I have 28 days to go as far south east as I can in those days - no rest days ... I've decided to stop the resting (life's too short). But, obviously I am quite frightened about the possible 'expense' of Switzerland - is there anywhere 'cheap' to stay local? Hostel, Backpackers, Gites, etc.
Last year it took us 23 days with an average of 16km per day to walk from Geneva to Le Puy-en-Velay. So it looks like you will definitely get past Le Puy in 28 days.
Geneva is the only place in Switzerland, so the only spot where it might be more expensive. There are backpacker places. Once you go past the border, you're in France, and on the GR65 which starts in Geneva, you'll have choices.
We stayed mostly in chambres d'hôtes, and averaged 35€ per person including breakfast and dinner. There are plenty of alternatives for lower costs.
Buen Camino
Andrew

You will be in France a couple hours after leaving the cathedral, so Swiss prices are not a concern at all. Be sure you stock up your groceries before leaving Geneva, however. Since Easter comes so late this year, and since most pilgrim lodgings are only open Easter-AllSaints, you will find lodgings scarce. So get the Amis book, and have your arrangements worked out a day in advance. Your lodging host will be happy to call ahead for you. Make sure you have a bed (and a meal) waiting for you.

For the first week, you are likely to still see snow on the ground; be sure to keep an eye on a local weather app and on local trail conditions. Get the trail map app.

There is no Postale transport, no bus transport, very few towns with train connections on this route. Many towns listed in the Amis guide as having transport connection don't actually have them. Make sure you have the transit and SNCF apps.

Don't underestimate your challenge - bon chemin!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last year it took us 23 days with an average of 16km per day to walk from Geneva to Le Puy-en-Velay. So it looks like you will definitely get past Le Puy in 28 days.
Geneva is the only place in Switzerland, so the only spot where it might be more expensive. There are backpacker places. Once you go past the border, you're in France, and on the GR65 which starts in Geneva, you'll have choices.
We stayed mostly in chambres d'hôtes, and averaged 35€ per person including breakfast and dinner. There are plenty of alternatives for lower costs.
Buen Camino
Andrew
In Geneva, there is a youth hostel. There is also a donativo pilgrim place opposite the cathedral I hear, you should get the little yellow guidebook, order on line from Association des Amis de St Jacques Rhone d'Alpes. In it there are accommodation lists including private donativo hosts.
I spent Euro 45 all up daily average when I walked Geneva Le Puy in 18 days in 2016 and lived very well. The gite communale network is pretty good and you pay 12 Euros for a bed. There is usually plenty of space.
You cross the border into France on day one.
So no walking in Switzerland after that.

In Geneva, there is a youth hostel. There is also a donativo pilgrim place opposite the cathedral I hear, you should get the little yellow guidebook, order on line from Association des Amis de St Jacques Rhone d'Alpes. In it there are accommodation lists including private donativo hosts.
I spent Euro 45 all up daily average when I walked Geneva Le Puy in 18 days in 2016 and lived very well. The gite communale network is pretty good and you pay 12 Euros for a bed. There is usually plenty of space.
You cross the border into France on day one.
So no walking in Switzerland after that.
Do you know the address of the Donativo?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@futurefjp , the Swiss Friends of St James have a file with contact details. It's in French, but pretty easy to understand. The file covers Fribourg ( my home state in Switzerland) to Geneva, so you only need the last two pages.
The important columns in your case, are the ones with the heading Catégorie, and Prix (price).
In the Catégorie column, look for ACUE, which Stands for accueil jacquaire. This is a private home, owned by a member of the Friends of St James, willing to provide accommodation on a donativo basis. The column Prix is then going to read: Contribution libre, which means donativo.
You will need a credential for this type of accommodation. If you haven't got one, buy it on this website https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...passport-from-the-pilgrims-office-in-santiago
The only other accommodation type is the ones with an A in the Prix column: the price in this case is up to CHF30.
Please let me know if you need any other explanation.
Hope this helps.
Bon Chemin!
Andrew

Attachments

• lh E Fribourg - Lausanne - Geneve.pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 15
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Seems I only have until the 18th April. Can I get as far as Le Puy from 26th ... 24 days ... 23 I guess with one to fly back. Possible I am sure if 16kms was 23days ...

Seems I only have until the 18th April. Can I get as far as Le Puy from 26th ... 24 days ... 23 I guess with one to fly back. Possible I am sure if 16kms was 23days ...
@futurefjp , you should have no problems walking from Geneva to Le Puy on less than 23 days if your average is more than 16km per day.
The only thing that could slow you down is the weather.
Bon Chemin
Andrew

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@futurefjp , the Swiss Friends of St James have a file with contact details. It's in French, but pretty easy to understand. The file covers Fribourg ( my home state in Switzerland) to Geneva, so you only need the last two pages.
The important columns in your case, are the ones with the heading Catégorie, and Prix (price).
In the Catégorie column, look for ACUE, which Stands for accueil jacquaire. This is a private home, owned by a member of the Friends of St James, willing to provide accommodation on a donativo basis. The column Prix is then going to read: Contribution libre, which means donativo.
You will need a credential for this type of accommodation. If you haven't got one, buy it on this website https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...passport-from-the-pilgrims-office-in-santiago
The only other accommodation type is the ones with an A in the Prix column: the price in this case is up to CHF30.
Please let me know if you need any other explanation.
Hope this helps.
Bon Chemin!
Andrew
This was very helpful ... Donativo in a suburb of Geneva. We all need a good night's sleep before we join The Way?

I wonder how easy it's to hitch to France and start from there? Or perhaps I write to the persons in Geneva offering accommodation?
it's perhaps easier to find a route with public transport? trains are very reliable in switzerland. though not especially cheap.

and I just realised that the OP is talking about geneva not lausanne, so he/she'll be out of switzerland and on the french soil in a day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Do you have the yellow guide book? It has all that kind of info and your current host will probably be happy to call ahead for you. But we found most accueils still closed in May.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
ok. I was just reading my blog. We did not go down into Seyssel but it seems they was an place to stay in a small village on the path. We walked from Frangy to Serrièes-en-Chautagne and stayed at an auberge(hotel) but I think there is also a camp ground not sure if it is open. Our daily walks seems to be a bit longer than your days, so sorry I don't think I will be much help. It is a beautiful walk.

I've the yellow guide, but it doesn't appear there is one in Seyssel.
My yellow guide book dates from 2017, and shows Christine Hottlet, accueil jacquaire, 04 50 56 13 32 or 06 07 57 37 60. Impasse des Capucins, rue Lieutenant Bovagne.
Otherwise you can try the camping, 15 rue de Genève.
As Seyssel is off the GR65, we didn't go through there, we went to Pont sur le Fier, to the Auberge, but that may be closed, as the owners wanted to retire.
If that doesn't work, stop at Les Côtes, before Seyssel, accueil jacquaire Annie et Philippe Gaillard, 06 46 41 65 47 or 06 77 07 50 12, Prairod 845 route de Praz.
Hope this reaches you in time...
Bon Chemin

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My yellow guide book dates from 2017, and shows Christine Hottlet, accueil jacquaire, 04 50 56 13 32 or 06 07 57 37 60. Impasse des Capucins, rue Lieutenant Bovagne.
Otherwise you can try the camping, 15 rue de Genève.
As Seyssel is off the GR65, we didn't go through there, we went to Pont sur le Fier, to the Auberge, but that may be closed, as the owners wanted to retire.
If that doesn't work, stop at Les Côtes, before Seyssel, accueil jacquaire Annie et Philippe Gaillard, 06 46 41 65 47 or 06 77 07 50 12, Prairod 845 route de Praz.
Hope this reaches you in time...
Bon Chemin
I just kept on walking to Accueil Jacquaire in Chanaz. Much more real. And great sausages!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Day Six. Don't know where I am heading today. Yesterday I walked from seven until 5:45pm. However my pack feels lighter, even with much more than usual inside.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think I have seven-ish days ahead of me. It's not a race.

The family I stayed with last night were fabulous. Great food, huge St Bernard, cats galore and lovely Beaujolais Morgon to wash it down. But I am awake at the crack in the dawn and want away again. Christ, why is the Way so addictive?

Because it's a pleasure all the way: ups and downs it's always a revelation.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Saturday’s photo is so much nicer! Maybe that is of no importance to you? I have really been interested in your blog. Sorry to see it is finished. Your last post gave me such a good laugh. Just what I need to move me away from my perch and get something done in the house. Safe trip home. I do look forward to discovering another thread of yours, whenever.

Saturday’s photo is so much nicer! Maybe that is of no importance to you? I have really been interested in your blog. Sorry to see it is finished. Your last post gave me such a good laugh. Just what I need to move me away from my perch and get something done in the house. Safe trip home. I do look forward to discovering another thread of yours, whenever.
I always have writing burnout after I've walked the Camino. Drinking wine doesn't help either. I've a quiet weekend in Kirk Deighton with the dogs to bring back my sanity and writing potential?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back