• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back on the road again

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Many in the past and, God willing; more to come
As loyal readers may recall I amuse myself and bore everyone senseless by documenting my travels (and travails) on Camino.

Following last year’s debacle when my second-best-knee decided to fail; followed shortly by what was previously my best knee; my ambitions this time are modest.

After 12 months of my diary being filled with various -ologists and more than one therapist, and armed with a big bag of anti-inflammatories, a knee-support and a corkscrew; I’m pleased to be back.

Flying in via Porto, then heading up to Barcelos for the massive weekly market, and on to Tui. I’m starting walking (after a short taxi ride) about 15k before Tui (having stashed my bag there so as to have an easy day); then onwards to Santiago.

Usual disclaimer: if you’re looking for tales of frugality and extreme exercise; look elsewhere. My content almost universally concentrates on food and drink. (Drink mainly) and my jaundiced observations on daily life en-route.

I’m starting March 1st; so you’ve plenty of time to get a few bottles in if you want to follow along.

I think this will be my ninth or tenth time on a Camino of various duration.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
European Dogs. You think you can climb in your crate, throw a shipping sticker on it, make those puppy-dog eyes to the customs man, and take off for Portugal without so much as a bark or a howl. I hope every fire hydrant in Porto is lined up around the block......

All jealousy aside though, Bom Caminho!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Usual disclaimer: if you’re looking for tales of frugality and extreme exercise; look elsewhere. My content almost universally concentrates on food and drink. (Drink mainly) and my jaundiced observations on daily life en-route.

Sounds more interesting than tales of blisters and bed bugs. I'm looking forward to following you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As loyal readers may recall I amuse myself and bore everyone senseless by documenting my travels (and travails) on Camino.

Following last year’s debacle when my second-best-knee decided to fail; followed shortly by what was previously my best knee; my ambitions this time are modest.

After 12 months of my diary being filled with various -ologists and more than one therapist, and armed with a big bag of anti-inflammatories, a knee-support and a corkscrew; I’m pleased to be back.

Flying in via Porto, then heading up to Barcelos for the massive weekly market, and on to Tui. I’m starting walking (after a short taxi ride) about 15k before Tui (having stashed my bag there so as to have an easy day); then onwards to Santiago.

I’m starting March 1st; so you’ve plenty of time to get a few bottles in if you want to follow along.

Can’t wait to walk along with you.

Bom Caminho.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hooray !!

Bom Caminho, though I'd say from experience, that a pair of knee braces is better for balance than just the one. That's what I found anyway during the year's training and prep for my 2014, regardless that visiting the Grotto at Lourdes at the start of that Camino removed my need for them and not used them since.

I hope you took notes about beverages and pain management from my own thread !!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Looking forward to reading your account of the many adventures that lie in wait.
Bom and Buen Camino.

Last edited:

Well, you know the old saying…”If, at first you don’t succeed, lower your expectations and you won’t be disappointed!” The balky knees will need oiling and Of course, you have many fine choices for the vino. I completely agree about dining well. Life is meant to be lived well, if possible

The day has finally arrived and, on recommendation from @Kanga, amongst others, I’m going to give ‘find penguins’ a whirl. If there’s anything meaningful to contribute I’ll post it on the forum later.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Episodes 2 and 3 are hot off the press (although in reverse order for some reason) featuring the usual cliffhanger ending. Even I usually manage 24 incident-free hours.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I enjoyed reading your first two posts on Find Penguins and appreciate that you are posting the links here as it is easier to keep up.
I could only eat a "portion" of my gigantic Francesinha when I was in Portugal. I hate wasting food and am normally a "clean plate" kind of gal, so what does that tell you about the goopy sandwich and my opinion of it.🙄

Is this timely, or what? it is now one hour later on the Continent where you are than here is sunny Dublin. I was footering around before having to do some needed accounts and came across your post. May you swing along safely. Am I speaking to the actual dog, or the dog's side-kick? it's ok, I know, and just let me say I will be looking out for your posts. now back to my desk. Muy buen camino.

The day has finally arrived and, on recommendation from @Kanga, amongst others, I’m going to give ‘find penguins’ a whirl. If there’s anything meaningful to contribute I’ll post it on the forum later.

Excuse me, if there is anything meaningful to contribute? Since when the modesty? 😈

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have three different versions of Francesinha I can taste very near home.

I started with the most basic, and cheapest, a francesinha poveira -- which is the grilled meats and cheese simple toasted sandwich version, and quite tasty.

Washed down with Super Bock.

If you see that on offer and need nothing more than a snack, go for it !! It's what to get in Portugal if you feel like a quick bacon sarnie, small hamburger, croque-monsieur, or anything similar -- but can't get one.

The two others on offer here are the usual Porto version Francesinha Especial, much like the one in your photo ; and the Lisbon version, which is a bit different.

I'll try one or the other next week, probably Lisbon version first -- it seems more interesting.

There is actually another place with a fourth version, not sure which type of Especial, but I'll only attempt that one if the next two go well.

Super Bock all the way in any case -- as sadly, there's not that much Sagres on offer.

Last edited:
I see from your Penguins' post that you've been hit by a rail strike, trying to get to Barcelos.

Usually there's at least some service happening; it just may not be exactly what/when is your preference.

Here's the update from the CP website:

And it sounds like the café cars will be having problems...updates on that, as well!

In that civilized Portuguese fashion,

"CP apologises for the inconvenience caused, and while this situation persists, bottles of water will be provided to all passengers. We thank you for your understanding."

Bom caminho and good luck with the trains!

I see from your Penguins' post that you've been hit by a rail strike, trying to get to Barcelos.

Usually there's at least some service happening; it just may not be exactly what/when is your preference.

Here's the update from the CP website:

And it sounds like the café cars will be having problems...updates on that, as well!

In that civilized Portuguese fashion,

"CP apologises for the inconvenience caused, and while this situation persists, bottles of water will be provided to all passengers. We thank you for your understanding."

Bom caminho and good luck with the trains!
Many thanks! I much prefer trains over the bus, but for certainty that’s what I’m using tomorrow. Your help much appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
re: francesinha poveira

If you see that on offer and need nothing more than a snack, go for it !! It's what to get in Portugal if you feel like a quick bacon sarnie, small hamburger, croque-monsieur, or anything similar -- but can't get one.
That may be common near Porto (never heard of it in Barquinha), but country-wide, you can also ask for a "tosta mixta" (pronounced "Toashta Meeshta") which is grilled ham and cheese on toasted country bread. Usually huge, by non-Portuguese standards (enough for 2), and always good. Can be made in virtually any café/bar in the country. Virtually always made from scratch, when ordered.

Simpler versions are a "tosta de queijo" (toashta duh keejou")--just cheese; and "tosta de fiambre" ("toashta duh feeombruh") which is just ham--the cheap, sandwich-ham type. Some bars may also have "tosta de presunto" which is much better ham.

These typically cost you 1.5 to 2 euros; cheap though not particularly heart-healthy.

Oh--and if you don't like the somewhat greasy though yummy "tosta," they will also make it with just a fresh bun, not grilled. Ask for "pao mixta" or "pao con queijo" or "pao con fiambre." These are typically even cheaper; in most bars in the small towns, about a euro. And the bread is always really good, and fresh that morning.

I've been to the weekly Barcelos market, and though it's nice, it isn't earth-shatteringly better than any of the other weekly markets in mid-sized-town Portugal. (Entroncamento has one on Saturdays that we often go to, and Tomar's is, I believe, on Fridays).

So I checked out Tui to see if there might be one there that you could attend. Sadly, theirs, like Barcelos's, is on Wednesdays.

BUT there is one across the border in Tui on Thursdays--you might be in time to check that out!

Boa sorte!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That may be common near Porto (never heard of it in Barquinha)
It's a Lisbon invention, and likely to be more urban than rural in any case, as it was created as a fast food takeaway version that you can eat with your hands.

Well, I’m getting there.

Ok, so what's a dulche? And speaking of convent baking, your qualifications, sir? 😁 check your pm for mine.

Attachments

• 1677776900468.jpeg
    1677776900468.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 18
Ok, so what's a dulche? And speaking of convent baking, your qualifications, sir? 😁 check your pm for mine.
My spelling could be completely up the spout; but if my failing memory serves the sisters needed egg whites to ‘starch’ their white garments and - being left with a surplus of yolks developed a sideline in confectionary. Usually almond based.

Closed orders sell them through a form of turntable a ‘torno’ or lazy Susan (like liquor shops in high-crime parts of the US - in so many ways). In my experience that leaves the unwitting customer with an unsatisfactory bag of high-priced unremarkable biscuits and no means of remonstrating with the vendor. They’ve given it some thought these sisters.

My spelling could be completely up the spout; but if my failing memory serves the sisters needed egg whites to ‘starch’ their white garments and - being left with a surplus of yolks developed a sideline in confectionary. Usually almond based.

Closed orders sell them through a form of turntable a ‘torno’ or lazy Susan (like liquor shops in high-crime parts of the US - in so many ways). In my experience that leaves the unwitting customer with an unsatisfactory bag of high-priced unremarkable biscuits and no means of remonstrating with the vendor. They’ve given it some thought these sisters.
Sorry, I should have thought twice - dulces. Imagine walking around in egg white starched stuff!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Purely for research purposes I’ve been canvassing local opinion on the goods on offer. (It’s the poor Clare’s on the supply-side; apparantly they’re short-handed and knocking on a bit so by the time they hear the bell and get to the point of sale most folk have given up). I am taking advice whilst Barca are playing Real Madrid and the multiple screens are on full volume; but the concensus seems to be ‘don’t bother’. €10 for a handful of fish-shaped biscuits is not seen locally as fair exchange. If they’re open I’ll drop a contribution in the box when passing tomorrow.

I’m embarrassingly uninformed on the various orders. I’ll do something about that in due course.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well this all needed resolving:

David, I always appreciate your input, which is both knowledgeable, opinionated, but mixed with a big dose of humor. Meeting you in person would be a barrel of laughs I'm sure. 😃
We have a Poor Clare monastery a mere 15 miles from where I live. This particular order of nuns take a vow of silence, which is very intriguing in this modern day. I do wonder if they can communicate by texting to each other, family and friends as they do have a website.
I like the photo of the biscuits; it reminds me of the Biblical "loaves and fishes" all rolled into one.😅

David, I always appreciate your input, which is both knowledgeable, opinionated, but mixed with a big dose of humor. Meeting you in person would be a barrel of laughs I'm sure. 😃
We have a Poor Clare monastery a mere 15 miles from where I live. This particular order of nuns take a vow of silence, which is very intriguing in this modern day. I do wonder if they can communicate by texting to each other, family and friends as they do have a website.
I like the photo of the biscuits; it reminds me of the Biblical "loaves and fishes" all rolled into one.😅
Thanks for that! ❤️

In Mrs HtD’s expert opinion, I’m better kept at a distance. She has often opined that had she made that decision 31 years ago her life would have been orderly.

https://findpenguins.com/2tti05gog45fv/footprint/6401f1991b4544-67398335

I've actually met a few cloistered nuns, which is rather unusual.

I'm not talking just about those in larger convents that may have one nun who is tasked with their dealings with the outside world, shopping and so on, or with hospitality, sitting in the monastic shop, and so on.

But I have met some cloistered nuns out of the convent on retreat ; and most fun, two nuns who had a temporary dispensation from their cloister to walk the Way of Saint James !!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Monks and nuns with a vow of silence can use speech if and when it is practically necessary.

And yes, they can communicate by writing, which would include e-mails, texting, and so on.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In response to your observation re distance plaques - I did see these Way Markers on the Portuguese route in their natural habitat in 2018.

Im glad you confirmed they have been put to use. I have been concerned they had been forgotten about. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2103 (1).JPG
    IMG_2103 (1).JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 14
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In response to your observation re distance plaques - I did see these Way Markers on the Portuguese route in their natural habitat in 2018.

Im glad you confirmed they have been put to use. I have been concerned they had been forgotten about. :)
Is that a herd? Perhaps they huddle together in the winter for warmth, or move when nobody’s watching?

Like the egg-pudding stone? (You’ll never get a more local reference than that on here Chris. )

2018 was about when the Portuguese governments (national, regional, local) finally realized that maybe, just maybe, there might be some value in actually acknowledging that there was a Portuguese caminho.

@henrythedog, David, I will look forward to reading your updates. I'm sure they will be filled with interesting details and embellished with "stories"🥴 along the way, most likely mixed in with a big dose of your dry humor!
Yep, the goin's been good, @henrythedog, just like I thought. I'm enjoying every lick of your writing! 😃

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I didn't find the blog until you are almost done. How do you like the Finding Penguins thing? I usually sign up for something and then forget my password so it is useless when I need to use it so I am concerned that this might be the case for me with Finding Penguins. Hope your last day on the road is a dry one with plenty of food and drink available.

I’m finding FP really rather useful. Much as I love posting on here the comments and reactions sometimes make it difficult to keep the narrative flow. I’ve tried to compromise by posting a daily link.

I doubt it will assist anyone’s navigation; but if it entertains it’s worth it!

And that (really) is all folks.

Sorry to hear Mrs HTD is ill and I hope her case will be light one. Best wishes and glad to read about this year's Camino albeit a rainy one.

Well, I was wondering what Mrs HtD had caught. Why does it not surprise me that Henry has the best of comfort - except, he has to sleep under the table?
Pity you didn't try the welcome centre in the Pilgrim office - there, tea galore. Irish tea. Actually, today I will meet again Sr Catherine, one of the sisters who offer the welcome space there. She is addressing volunteers and friends in the Camino centre in Dublin. I hope to persuade her to pack a box of the best tea in the world In her luggage on her return. In case anyone wants to tackle me on the veracity of my opinion in the previous sentence: it is a joke. Just a joke, okay? 😇
May your return not be delayed by snow and ice.
And that (really) is all folks.

Sorry that I didn't follow this one as well as I wanted -- but my glasses are still broken, and not fixed 'til tomorrow, so that even on my lovely 5K2K monitor, it's just a smidgeon too much effort.

I have difficulty with these talk forums in general, at least until tomorrow, and getting my specs back !!

They have been broken since the last few dozen K into Santiago BTW, and it's just my crazy walking back plans that prevented any earlier fix.

Oh dear, late again … 🙄😴

Just read your missives in (on?) FP. Couldn’t put it down, as they say. I’m a slow reader - I like to ‘live’ in what’s written as long as it‘s worth the ride and yours certainly was worth the lingering.

Best wishes for Mrs HtD’s recovery and hope Henry is deliriously happy to be sharing his bed with you.

Btw, I have taken a screenshot of the Casa das Crechas photograph. 😉

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back