• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back on the way :-))))) so happy!!!

angeliki louk

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2014 camino Frances.
June 2015 Camino north
Camino primitivo
Hallo everyone! Hope you are all well!!
I just wanted to share my happiness since we are booked to visit my husband’s family in Portugal and this time starting our walk from Porto to Santiago , with our little almost 2 year old Santiago .....this time going to Santiago to thank him for everything that he provided me while walking two times the way :))))
I have a question can anyone suggest where could be spend a night in Porto that is close to where the way starts? Take care, smile and bom caminho:)))))

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I wish you well on your journey.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I stayed in Moov Hotel Centro before starting my camino. It may cost more than albergues, but we got a special that made the rooms almost hostel prices, so it was quite amazing. It is located beside a lovely church where they can stamp your credential, and walking distance (duh, as if anywhere was out of walking distance for us...) from the Se cathedral.

While the city is amazing and I highly recommend 2-3 days there to enjoy, the way out of Porto is a bit 'meh' though. Consider taking the train to Maia or somewhere else so you skip the industrial area, if ou dont mind skipping a little bit.

Do not miss the chance to visit the wineries on the other side of the bridge, in Gaia. Drink Port wine in Porto is amazing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I stayed in Moov Hotel Centro before starting my camino. It may cost more than albergues, but we got a special that made the rooms almost hostel prices, so it was quite amazing. It is located beside a lovely church where they can stamp your credential, and walking distance (duh, as if anywhere was out of walking distance for us...) from the Se cathedral.

While the city is amazing and I highly recommend 2-3 days there to enjoy, the way out of Porto is a bit 'meh' though. Consider taking the train to Maia or somewhere else so you skip the industrial area, if ou dont mind skipping a little bit.

Do not miss the chance to visit the wineries on the other side of the bridge, in Gaia. Drink Port wine in Porto is amazing.
Yes I have to endorse this. The first 2-3 days is extremely hard underfoot if you choose to walk due north out of the city. And quite dull too. Maybe consider taking the coastal route for a day or three and then cutting eastwards to rejoin the route.

Thank so much for the information:)

I just wanted to share my happiness since we are booked to visit my husband’s family in Portugal and this time starting our walk from Porto to Santiago , with our little almost 2 year old Santiago .....this time going to Santiago to thank him for everything that he provided me while walking two times the way :))))
I have a question can anyone suggest where could be spend a night in Porto that is close to where the way starts? Take care, smile and bom caminho:)))))
I got a really good rate, though it was about five years ago, in http://grande-hotel-de-paris-porto.hotel-ds.com/en/. It is quaint, decor wise. Excellent buffet breakfasts. Bom caminho, and then, buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Airporto Hostel is ten minutes walk from the airport , is next to the Metro and is run by two cousins. Apparently clean , friendly and affordable , 12 to 14 euros. I have not been there but am going to spend my first night there soon.

We started from Porto today and spent last night at the delightful Porto Alburgue, which I highly recommend for their hospitality and a wonderful rooftop garden.

BlueSocks Hostel is Great! Right on the river in a wonderful part of town. You might consider taking the metro out of town towards Matosinhos to avoid a long, not so pleasant walk out of town. Also consider the Variente Espiritual once you reach Pontevedra in Spain- very very nice. Be well!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Airporto Hostel is ten minutes walk from the airport , is next to the Metro and is run by two cousins. Apparently clean , friendly and affordable , 12 to 14 euros. I have not been there but am going to spend my first night there soon.
I was there in September and can recommend it. They even provided me a packed breakfast as I had a very early flight.

We started from Porto today and spent last night at the delightful Porto Alburgue, which I highly recommend for their hospitality and a wonderful rooftop garden.
Thank you for the reply:/) the problem is that we will have a two year old with us so we need to stay in a separate room , some albergues provide separate rooms. Did the one that you suggested have?

We are going by train from Lisbon to Porto. Do they have private rooms at the hostel?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When we got to Porto we took a “rest” day. We stayed in a hotel that was only about 1 block off the Camino... called the Clip Hotel. And it offered breakfast.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back