• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back Pack as hand luggage

Wobbits

Hi all

Flying out from Dublin to Santiago in May.
Only heading out for a week so travelling light.
Anybody got any advice on back pack size that will pass hand luggage requirements of Aer Lingus.

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Aer Lingus cabin baggage limit for short haul flights is 44 liters, 10 kg, longest dimension 22 inches. For regional flights it is 36 liters, 7 kg, longest dimension 19 inches. I'm not sure which category your itinerary falls into. In any event, even if you have a 44 liter pack, you are not likely to have it filled to bursting, so that will be less.

Also remember, you can take a "purse" in addition to the bag. One of the small collapsible (into a package the size of an egg) packs works well for this, and any surplus can go in that.

Hi

It's always awkward with backpacks due to their irregular shape. The maximum dimensions are 20 x 40 x 55cm, and as Kitsambler says 10kg weight. If the basic frame of your backpack goes beyond those dimensions I'd check it in as hold baggage. If not, you can always wear the bulkiest clothes (jacket, fleece etc) while you're checking in so that your pack is only partially filled and can be manipulated into the required shape and size! :)

Buen Camino! Keith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have twice booked a 35L rucksack into the Easyjet hold only to have the desk staff say, you can carry that on board.

I'm doing that this next trip but have a slight knot in the tummy along the lines of, sorry sir, that has to go in the hold and it is going to cost you....

I may yet pay the charge on line to avoid the last minute hassle. It will cost more than at the original point of booking the ticket but cheaper than at the airport.

Wearing the bulky clothes is a great idea. In Sapin you can get your rucksack selephone wrapped so that all the straps ate tightly bound to the rucksack and then there is no problem about it being hand luggage.

As far as I am aware there is no UK airport that does that.

If you are still reading this, if in doubt pay and put it into the hold.
I have used straps around the rucksack to make it physically look smaller and that seems to help.

Will you be bringing momentos of your trip back with you which might take you beyond the cabin weight limit? You might not know but it is worth thinking about ahead of time.

ps your airline's web page will also have up to date details as to what they classify as hand baggage.

Most airlines limit hand luggage to 7 kg. I usually take a 34 or so ltr backpack with no problems, I wear my boots and bulky things and put a few items into a plastic sack, which acts as my "handbag". Never had a problem. The only annoying thing is that one has to check in the walking poles and then has to hang around at the arrival point waiting for them to come out.

I have regularly carried a Kathmandu Cane Toad (~35li) as hand baggage. Only once was I asked to reduce its weight to conform to the cabin baggage rules, and it was then allowed on. The external dimensions are close to the Aer Lingus maximum (but not their regional maximum).

If you do decide to carry on your back pack to avoid checking baggage, there are a number of items that would not be allowed in cabin baggage. Things that I normally carry walking that wouldn't be allowed include the scissors from my first aid kit, a pocket knive, trekking poles, and possibly my nail clipper kit with its little file. I've spoken to people who did what you are proposing, and they either didn't carry these or purchased them after arrival.

Regards,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Wobbits,

I am flying out from Dublin in September to do the Ingles and am at that stage of that size of bag do I need to buy. Like you, my friend and I are carrying our bags onto the plane but I reckon from what I've read on my thread 'First time peregrinos doin the Camino Ingles' weight shouldn't come into it and the only issue will be with bulk.

Anyway I'd love to hear how you get on in May so please keep me posted...in fact anything you want to share feel free to post on my thread...ALL advice gratefully accepted.

Buen Camino,

Neil.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back