• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

back pack choice

Maverick

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2017)
Hello all, firstly, thank you , this is an absolutely fabulous resource for information for the likes of me, a first time novice. I am scheduled to start Camino Frances at SJdPP, third week in September. So am getting really excited! I have now read most of what people have written. So, I've got the weight down to 5.5kg as I am about 55kgs and 5'7" tall of slim build. The first pack I got I realised was too big and too heavy empty, so it went back and I exchanged it for a Millet UBIC30LD. It fitted me in the shop and felt ok. I took it home loaded it up with my load, about 5.5kgs went for a 10kgs hike on a sunny afternoon along roads and up and down stony rough tracks. I was also 'breaking in' my new shoes, Salomon X-Ultra. Both items are expensive, I know, but being aware of other people's experiences, I thought it better than suffering pain and associated expenses or failure! And they both fitted well and felt good when I bought them. When I got home after my hoke, I felt really good, no aches, sores, rubs, so I thought I had it sorted. ...... then I read an article advising against buying, carrying a back pack designed for mountain climbing/ walking whilst walking the Camino, which I think this Millet one is! So, calling on members experience and knowledge, have I made a bad choice? The trouble is, out of all the bags I tried it was the only one that felt good and fitted. And what would be the problem with it?
Many thanks for your thoughts. I am really looking forward to meeting fellow Caminos.
A little quote I thought up 'Travel light so your spirit and soul can fly free'
Buen Camino to all!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The only main difference I can think of between most mountain rucksacks and more general purpose ones is that those made specifically for mountaineering often lack external pockets which can be useful for easy access to bits and pieces during the day. They may also have less sophisticated airflow systems to reduce sweating on the back. If you have tried the rucksack out and found it works well for you then I would not worry about anything else :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for such a fast response. Yes you are right, there are loops to carry poles, ice ace, snow shoes, skis and mattress, tent! I should only need walking poles! That's reassuring then, thanks.
I have a lot of backpacks. About the only difference between a mountain climbing backpack and the rest of them might be an ice axe loop! Separate marketing from the backpack; if it fits and is lightweight, use it.:)

On it's website, Millet describes this rucksack as perfect for "ALL USES...."

See the link:

http://www.millet-mountain.com/ubic-30-ld-red-women-hiking-backpack.html

Many of us use rucksacks designed for multiple purposes. As long as it is fitted properly, fits well, is comfortable when loaded and does not cause you discomfort...it is the right pack for you.

Nice rucksack by the way... It should do you just fine...

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello all, firstly, thank you , this is an absolutely fabulous resource for information for the likes of me, a first time novice. I am scheduled to start Camino Frances at SJdPP, third week in September. So am getting really excited! I have now read most of what people have written. So, I've got the weight down to 5.5kg as I am about 55kgs and 5'7" tall of slim build. The first pack I got I realised was too big and too heavy empty, so it went back and I exchanged it for a Millet UBIC30LD. It fitted me in the shop and felt ok. I took it home loaded it up with my load, about 5.5kgs went for a 10kgs hike on a sunny afternoon along roads and up and down stony rough tracks. I was also 'breaking in' my new shoes, Salomon X-Ultra. Both items are expensive, I know, but being aware of other people's experiences, I thought it better than suffering pain and associated expenses or failure! And they both fitted well and felt good when I bought them. When I got home after my hoke, I felt really good, no aches, sores, rubs, so I thought I had it sorted. ...... then I read an article advising against buying, carrying a back pack designed for mountain climbing/ walking whilst walking the Camino, which I think this Millet one is! So, calling on members experience and knowledge, have I made a bad choice? The trouble is, out of all the bags I tried it was the only one that felt good and fitted. And what would be the problem with it?
Many thanks for your thoughts. I am really looking forward to meeting fellow Caminos.
Buen Camino to all!
Repurposing a phrase from Duke Ellington, if it feels good it is good. Don't worry about it. Go with what feels good.

I've lots of rucksacks. A dozen at least. I have this barmy idea that if I could just find the perfect bag all my problems would disappear.** Which is crazy as I don't actually have any problems.

Anyway. Climbing sacks tend to be designed taller and narrower. 1 you can access stuff off your harness without your elbows catching. 2 keep the weight higher which helps on slabs and steeper stuff. 3 has compression straps to reduce shifting weight while balancing on ledges etc. 4 they tend not to have a frame because frames add weight and a flexible structure is less likely to catch if you are hauling it behind you. 5 a substantial strap to hang it safely while bivouacking on routes.

I've even had one fastened to my ankle on overhanging crags. We will try anything to avoid falling off. Being proper wusses.

Basically nothing much to put you off, - possibly price.

**I feel about rucksacks like some women do about the perfect outfit. :)

Hi @Maverick

Its hard getting the perfect drink. So I keep on trying for the perfect cranberry juice.

And, like you, I have done the same with my pack. I started training early 2012 and took three years until I found what I needed.

Sounds as though you done it quite quickly. Well done.

Keep up the training for a few more days and then relax.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buen Camino to all!

Your backpack is fine..... it is the author of the article who is flawed :) The only real BIG thing that determines the fitness of a backpack is the load weight it is designed to carry, as that involves the type of frame (or no frame), the amount of padding on straps, and whether some things, like a waist belt, are part of the design. So, if the backpack felt good while carrying it at distance under your expected load, then it is going to work just fine for you.

Beyond the above, it is about options with colors, pockets, whether it is a top loader or unzips the length of the bag, a seperate sleeping bag compartment, an internal sleeve to hold a water reservoir/bladder, outside mesh pocket, pockets on the waist belt, etc. ad infinitum.

The only main difference I can think of between most mountain rucksacks and more general purpose ones is that those made specifically for mountaineering often lack external pockets which can be useful for easy access to bits and pieces during the day. They may also have less sophisticated airflow systems to reduce sweating on the back. If you have tried the rucksack out and found it works well for you then I would not worry about anything else :)
Yes, I see what you mean now, when compared to other backpacks. As there is a big mesh pocket on one side, a long zipped pocket on the other and a smaller zipped pocket on the back, that's enough for me. Thanks for your reassurance.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On it's website, Millet describes this rucksack as perfect for "ALL USES...."

See the link:

http://www.millet-mountain.com/ubic-30-ld-red-women-hiking-backpack.html

Many of us use rucksacks designed for multiple purposes. As long as it is fitted properly, fits well, is comfortable when loaded and does not cause you discomfort...it is the right pack for you.

Nice rucksack by the way... It should do you just fine...

I hope this helps.
I had not seen that, thank you. Yes you, and others are absolutely right, if it fits, feels good and does what is expected without causing pain or injury, it is the right one. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you are right. Thank you for your reply. I feel really confident about it now. Getting quietly excited about my adventures along the camino! Looking forward to meeting some of you amazing people too!
Your backpack is fine..... it is the author of the article who is flawed :) The only real BIG thing that determines the fitness of a backpack is the load weight it is designed to carry, as that involves the type of frame (or no frame), the amount of padding on straps, and whether some things, like a waist belt, are part of the design. So, if the backpack felt good while carrying it at distance under your expected load, then it is going to work just fine for you.

Beyond the above, it is about options with colors, pockets, whether it is a top loader or unzips the length of the bag, a seperate sleeping bag compartment, an internal sleeve to hold a water reservoir/bladder, outside mesh pocket, pockets on the waist belt, etc. ad infinitum.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the info. Hopefully, I will not be hanging off too many ledges, in the physical realm anyway! I've always believed there is no such thing as perfect, nor, normal. As from one day to the next, ourselves and our lives, change. And everything is the way its meant to be, perfect! Thanks for replying.
I've lots of rucksacks. A dozen at least. I have this barmy idea that if I could just find the perfect bag all my problems would disappear.** Which is crazy as I don't actually have any problems.

Anyway. Climbing sacks tend to be designed taller and narrower. 1 you can access stuff off your harness without your elbows catching. 2 keep the weight higher which helps on slabs and steeper stuff. 3 has compression straps to reduce shifting weight while balancing on ledges etc. 4 they tend not to have a frame because frames add weight and a flexible structure is less likely to catch if you are hauling it behind you. 5 a substantial strap to hang it safely while bivouacking on routes.

I've even had one fastened to my ankle on overhanging crags. We will try anything to avoid falling off. Being proper wusses.

Basically nothing much to put you off, - possibly price.

**I feel about rucksacks like some women do about the perfect outfit. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @Maverick

Its hard getting the perfect drink. So I keep on trying for the perfect cranberry juice.

And, like you, I have done the same with my pack. I started training early 2012 and took three years until I found what I needed.

Hi @Maverick

Yes, but I believe, there is no such thing as perfect. Life is constantly changing. One day I drink champagne, the next day, water, both are perfect, at the time! I've actually been ' in training', (i just didn't know it at the time!), for the last 16 or so years. Which was the first time I read about the Camino, back then I said I was going to do it. But the Universe had other plans for me......., until last month, when I was reminded of it and the opportunity arose, perfect timing! to do it this year!

Couldnt agree more with earlier posts if it fits you and you forget your wearing it thats the one .
Only problem will be when you come to replace it they probably wont be making it by then .
I by chance purchased a golite race pack for no other reason then it was v light and in the sale used it every trip 3 years best pack ever on paper completely unsuited for what i was using it for .
You seem to better prepared then i was good luck and buen camino

Any pack that fits comfortably is definitely NO problem at all. It's a treasure.
Buen camino, Maverick!
Yes, I am sure you are right. It was just a lack of confidence, after what I read, me being a first time novice! I am really looking forward to getting going now! Thank you for your reply.

Couldnt agree more with earlier posts if it fits you and you forget your wearing it thats the one .
Only problem will be when you come to replace it they probably wont be making it by then .
I by chance purchased a golite race pack for no other reason then it was v light and in the sale used it every trip 3 years best pack ever on paper completely unsuited for what i was using it for .
You seem to better prepared then i was good luck and buen camino
Thank you for your good wishes. The proof of my preparation will be in the walking!
I feel confidently pack is the right one now! Yes! I had not thought that far ahead! I hope to do several camino trips before it gets retired. Like my new footwear too. Items which are right, mould to and become a part of your body, almost. Like a ring worn constantly over many years, if you take it off for some reason or loose it, you feel it 'missing' . Even though you didn't feel it there before, if you know what I mean.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The pack I used on my Camino Primitivo in May is the same one I just used this weekend for hiking on a glacier. My ice axe and tools have their own attachment loops as do my poles which I used to hike into the glacier. The Osprey Kyte 46. My husband used the Kestrel 48. That article is nonsense. If you can have a pack with multiple uses, all the better. As long as it's comfortable and doesn't weigh a ton.

Attachments

• IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1228.JPG
    IMG_1228.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
Forget conflicting accounts. You know what works for you. You know it is comfortable. That is what is important.

Reading accounts here is acquiring knowledge, true, but it is all theory until it becomes experience. Be open to new experience, some good, some bad, maybe.

But know also, as you are surrounded with many willing to help, so too, on the Camino, it shall be the same there too.

Forget conflicting accounts. You know what works for you. You know it is comfortable. That is what is important.

Reading accounts here is acquiring knowledge, true, but it is all theory until it becomes experience. Be open to new experience, some good, some bad, maybe.

But know also, as you are surrounded with many willing to help, so too, on the Camino, it shall be the same there too.
Thank you. Yes you are right too. I always tell my children there is no such thing as a bad experience, nor a good experience. There is just 'experience'. Don't judge, label it, just accept it. And, as you say, be open to it. And as you say, there are many amazing fellow travellers, meeting them all will be 'experience' ! Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Choose the lightest back pack and less than 40 litres capacity. You can save half a kilo between a heavy duty backpack designed for travel and a lightweight pack designed for walking.

Comfortable fit is the first priority. If that means a larger capacity you don't have to fill it!
@Maverick - It sounds as though you have found the right pack for you.
Buen Camino

Choose the lightest back pack and less than 40 litres capacity. You can save half a kilo between a heavy duty backpack designed for travel and a lightweight pack designed for walking.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, you are right. The one I have is 30 ltr. Big enough to farthestI need. Although it is a bit heavier (empty) than I would have liked, or could have bought, it fits and feels good on my back, when loaded up with my gear, 10% and a bit, of my body weight. I tried lighter ones, but when loaded up they did not feel comfortable on. So, it's most important that it feels good, I think. Just have to take 500gms . less stuff!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Comfortable fit is the first priority. If that means a larger capacity you don't have to fill it!
@Maverick - It sounds as though you have found the right pack for you.
Buen Camino
Yes, absolutely, I agree, you are right! Thank you for your confidence boost. Ultreia!

Whoops! Predictive text .... big enough for what I need . ....
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, you are right. The one I have is 30 ltr. Big enough to farthestI need. Although it is a bit heavier (empty) than I would have liked, or could have bought, it fits and feels good on my back, when loaded up with my gear, 10% and a bit, of my body weight. I tried lighter ones, but when loaded up they did not feel comfortable on. So, it's most important that it feels good, I think. Just have to take 500gms . less stuff!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.