• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back pack for Male or Female

GBAyr

Time of past OR future Camino
Not yet
I've yet to do a Camino. Just researching at the moment. Regarding my purchase of backpack, as a woman, does it matter if I use one specified for men?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for the prompt response. I suspected as much. Had to check though. All advise to ensure a comfortable stomp is welcomed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When you do choose one spend time at home with it just like you might new boots. You can test packing it and wearing it at home and spend some time wearing it. I measured a medium and bought a medium but it seemed too long in the back. I then bought a small and took time to compare the fit and feel then was able to return the medium because the small size was definitely better for me.

There will be lots of threads about equipment so it's worth using the search facility here. Lots of people love discussing kit so always ask too. Good luck.

Hi GBAyr
I have nothing much to add to the advice already given. Just thought I’d say hello to a fellow Ayrshire person. For what it’s worth I have a women specific pack but it’s really about what is comfortable for you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have used two different women specific packs - I tried the men's version of the first one because I liked the color better, but the shoulder straps were not comfortable.
Last year I used a unisex backpack that was also quite comfortable.

I have used two different women specific packs - I tried the men's version of the first one because I liked the color better, but the shoulder straps were not comfortable.
Last year I used a unisex backpack that was also quite comfortable.
Thank you for your reply. The cost of having to buy to try concerns me, as I think, from most posts on here and other forums, the consensus is that you discover if it's suitable once you're into the journey and end up buying another, and so on.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gender specific backpacks are the manufacturers method of designating sizing. They work with the assumption that women have shorter backs, wider hips and narrower shoulders than men. If you are purchasing a backpack ensure it fits you, not your gender. Reputable vendors will assist.
Please, please follow TInca's advice. If you live in the United States go to REI. There are experts there that can help to fit you properly. In Europe I am sure that Decathlon would be the store to go to. What fits is the best one for you. Remember the bigger you buy the heavier it will weigh because first time pilgrims will almost always carry to much. Get the return policy on the pack too as you should listen to Carol's advice and pack it and walk with it. I would expand the walking to taking hikes with it. Listen to David Tallan and read the advice about packs on this forum but remember the only advice that will really matter is how it feels. Finally I would also check out packing lists and especially pay attention to people who are traveling light. The lighter is definitely better. Remember you are not walking the Sahara, you can always buy what you find that you need and did not bring in Spain. Final rule of thumb only take what you think you will absolutely need.

Hi GBAyr
I have nothing much to add to the advice already given. Just thought I’d say hello to a fellow Ayrshire person. For what it’s worth I have a women specific pack but it’s really about what is comfortable for you.
Hello to you too :) Thanks for commenting. I guess we are all shapes and sizes so the gender based product isn't really worth it's label. I'm very broad in the shoulder, long in the back, and have no waist, so I probably would be best suited to a pack for a man....In theory! I see you'd a June 2020 walk planned. Did you have to cancel?

When you do choose one spend time at home with it just like you might new boots. You can test packing it and wearing it at home and spend some time wearing it. I measured a medium and bought a medium but it seemed too long in the back. I then bought a small and took time to compare the fit and feel then was able to return the medium because the small size was definitely better for me.

There will be lots of threads about equipment so it's worth using the search facility here. Lots of people love discussing kit so always ask too. Good luck.
Thank you Carol. I noticed the size on the charts I looked at show that an over lap in back sizes covers small and medium so it can only be a gamble if your size is right in the middle of the two. I found a Small/Medium 36L pack - Osprey Sirrus. It seems to have good reviews on here. I have to order my pack, rather than go and get one fitted, as I'm too far from any outdoor shop and working during the same hours as them. So I'm hoping to gather as much useful info as possible to gamble a purchase that will at least see me ok for my first long hike. I will probably be alone too so it'd be good to gather up the best advise on here first, to reduce the niggles, aches and pains on the way.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is what I have boiled my research down to....so far. Osprey Sirrus 36 Women's Ventilated. It says its for Small and Medium women. Opinions welcomed. I appreciated back size and body shape are an important aspect. Just curious to hear personal reviews. Thank you

Attachments

• 61FUcIh7Y2L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    61FUcIh7Y2L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 14
Hello to you too :) Thanks for commenting. I guess we are all shapes and sizes so the gender based product isn't really worth it's label. I'm very broad in the shoulder, long in the back, and have no waist, so I probably would be best suited to a pack for a man....In theory! I see you'd a June 2020 walk planned. Did you have to cancel?

I did have to cancel my plans for June and rebooked flights for end of August hoping the virus would have settled by then. I am starting from Saint Jean in just over a week on 30th August. Nervous and excited at the same time. If the virus situation in Spain deteriorates then I think I’ll detour to Portugal as it’s now on the safe list.

I did have to cancel my plans for June and rebooked flights for end of August hoping the virus would have settled by then. I am starting from Saint Jean in just over a week on 30th August. Nervous and excited at the same time. If the virus situation in Spain deteriorates then I think I’ll detour to Portugal as it’s now on the safe list.
Do you walk alone? I'm just wondering how daunting it is and if you ever feel unsafe. The pandemic has really upset everyone's lives. Even being on a plane with other people puts me off just now. But I'm sure there's little chance of catching it whilst out walking all day. Perhaps a tent is the best option, if you can.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've yet to do a Camino. Just researching at the moment. Regarding my purchase of backpack, as a woman, does it matter if I use one specified for men?
Make sure to visit more than one sporting good store. No one store carries all brands. My experience with packs, shoes, etc is that the smaller stores carry brands that are time tested by the store. Small stores can't afford returns or unhappy customers so they tend to carry what works.

Thank you Carol. I noticed the size on the charts I looked at show that an over lap in back sizes covers small and medium so it can only be a gamble if your size is right in the middle of the two. I found a Small/Medium 36L pack - Osprey Sirrus. It seems to have good reviews on here. I have to order my pack, rather than go and get one fitted, as I'm too far from any outdoor shop and working during the same hours as them. So I'm hoping to gather as much useful info as possible to gamble a purchase that will at least see me ok for my first long hike. I will probably be alone too so it'd be good to gather up the best advise on here first, to reduce the niggles, aches and pains on the way.

I am also in the UK and I have not found anywhere that would allow using a pack outdoors then returning it. That is why I suggest playing with one you choose inside your home as much as possible. REI does some good videos including how to fit a pack to your body. Osprey is a very popular make with pilgrims but there are lots of brands out there.

I chose an Osprey Eja 38l (the male version is the Exos). I particularly wanted a light pack as I was nervous of my ability to carry a backpack. The Eja seemed the best combination of lightness and comfortable straps for me. The top section (brain) is removable which saved weight, my pack is 900g like this. If you can keep your weight to a minimum it will make a huge difference. I had stacks of room in my pack but it cinched in and was very comfortable to carry and easy to adjust. I also liked that I could easily access my water bottle myself, without taking my pack off.

I also used a Lowe Alpine belt pack for my cash, phone, guidebook, passport and credential. Easy to access these things and also to take them with me to the shower or out in the evening etc.

Good luck

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is what I have boiled my research down to....so far. Osprey Sirrus 36 Women's Ventilated. It says its for Small and Medium women. Opinions welcomed. I appreciated back size and body shape are an important aspect. Just curious to hear personal reviews. Thank you
I have the osprey Stratos 34, mens version of the Sirrus. I am 5'8" and find it is perfect. If you are small lady the Sirrus will be fine otherwise go for the stratos. Great packs.

The outdoor stores I visited when searching for a pack had weights I could put in the pack to test its feel and comfort. I was able to walk around the store with the weighted pack for as long as I wanted ... (unless someone else needed the weights). When I finally purchased my pack I was fairly confident I had the right one.

I have the Osprey Sirrus 34L and love it. I’m about 5’4” and purchased the small size but realized it didn’t fit correctly so returned it for a medium. I love the fit and the trampoline back as well as all the pockets.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have the Osprey Sirrus 34L and love it. I’m about 5’4” and purchased the small size but realized it didn’t fit correctly so returned it for a medium. I love the fit and the trampoline back as well as all the pockets.
That's very helpful, thanks. I'm 5'5" so the medium will be a better choice for me then.

Do you walk alone? I'm just wondering how daunting it is and if you ever feel unsafe. The pandemic has really upset everyone's lives. Even being on a plane with other people puts me off just now. But I'm sure there's little chance of catching it whilst out walking all day. Perhaps a tent is the best option, if you can.
I will be walking alone but the Camino seems to be pretty safe. I’ve done the last 100 km 2 years ago with a friend and stayed in hotels but this time I’m on my own and staying in albergues. I’m a wee bit nervous but I’m sure I’ll be fine once I start walking. There is a Facebook group especially for women called Camigas which has lots of useful information and allows you to connect with other women who will be walking at the same time.

That's very helpful, thanks. I'm 5'5" so the medium will be a better choice for me then.
It's not your overall height but your torso length that's important for backpack sizing.
Two people can be the same height but have different torso sizes, depending on whether their height is in their legs or body.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's not your overall height but your torso length that's important for backpack sizing.
Two people can be the same height but have different torso sizes, depending on whether their height is in their legs or body.
Thank you. Yes, I'm quite long in the back so I believe the medium will be best. I've ordered that to test it out at home. I see you've clocked quite a few Caminos now! I'm hoping it becomes my addiction too. What time of year do you prefer to go?

I really think it’s best to get fitted, that being said, when my sister and I got fitted, a men’s worked better for her, and she’s 5’3” and short waisted.

Thank you. Yes, I'm quite long in the back so I believe the medium will be best. I've ordered that to test it out at home. I see you've clocked quite a few Caminos now! I'm hoping it becomes my addiction too. What time of year do you prefer to go?
I've done all of my Caminos between May and September. There are pros and cons to each season. The long days of summer are fantastic, the heat not so much. It was fantastic seeing the Meseta in the Spring last year when everything was green and there were wildflowers everywhere.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you can find someone who will help you measure your exact torso length, then you can order accordingly. I carry an Osprey Sirius 36liter in a women's XS/S. I first tried a small/medium but found it too long and no amount of adjustment made it work. The XS/S was perfect without further adjustment.

Most important is your torso length. Your backpack will (obviously) ride on your shoulders. The trick is to make sure it fits correctly on your hips. It is not about your height... it is your torso length.

On my 4th Camino my Wife backed out (death in Family), so I bribed my Son to come.
Being younger, he was very amenable to using my Wife backpack (at no cost but, didn't fit him).
You guessed it... the pack became uncomfortable to walk with.

Let me now interject with a Camino strategy for Couples walking the Camino.
I am the reason we walk the Camino. My Wife enjoys it, but is not as committed.
SO.... I use a 36Litre Pack and my Wife uses a 55Litre Pack.

Two things...
Don't over pack the larger Pack.
2nd... for 80% of the walk my Wife sends her (my Sons) backpack ahead (with A LOT of my stuff in it)

Her larger pack can also fit most of my stuff.
I still wear my pack to walk, but with minimal weight (a 5 lbs backpack = pleasure).

So... Walking by yourself. 36 Litre Pack.
If it doesn't fit in your 36L pack.... leave it behind! Their are no end of Store on the Camino.
If you discover you REALLY needed it.... buy it on the trail.

If Walking with someone.... The second Pack should be bigger, and send it ahead.

You are walking the Camino to enjoy it.... Not to see who can suffer the most.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.