• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back pack question

MARISEL

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
I will have my luggage transferred from hotel to Hotel . Can anyone recommend a light and confortable backpack for just the essentials I may need on the daily walk ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will have my luggage transferred from hotel to Hotel . Can anyone recommend a light and confortable backpack for just the essentials I may need on the daily walk ?
Only you will know what is comfortable for your body. Go to your local hiking store and just try some on. Tell them you need a day pack and make sure it has room for water.

My wife used a small Amazon day pack - folds in on itself, has an interior pocket for valuables, two mesh pockets on the outside for water bottles, and only costs about $17 US.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
backpack for just the essentials
If you go to a hiking store, take a couple of bottles that you can fill with water at the store, so that you can see how each pack feels with a couple of Kg in it. When you're trying day packs, you'll see everything from 5 litres up to around 20 litres. What you consider "essentials" is up to you, but I think you can fit most of your daily needs in a bag toward the lower end of this range:
  • Water
  • A snack
  • Extra layer of clothing (depends on season)
  • Rainwear (e.g. poncho)
  • Basic care items (sun cream, medications, small first aid kit)
  • Passport / important documents
Each individual may have other things that they want to add to this - electronics, spare phone battery, etc. But less is better and sometimes it helps to have a small pack to force those decisions.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you go to a hiking store, take a couple of bottles that you can fill with water at the store, so that you can see how each pack feels with a couple of Kg in it. When you're trying day packs, you'll see everything from 5 litres up to around 20 litres. What you consider "essentials" is up to you, but I think you can fit most of your daily needs in a bag toward the lower end of this range:
  • Water
  • A snack
  • Extra layer of clothing (depends on season)
  • Rainwear (e.g. poncho)
  • Basic care items (sun cream, medications, small first aid kit)
  • Passport / important documents
Each individual may have other things that they want to add to this - electronics, spare phone battery, etc. But less is better and sometimes it helps to have a small pack to force those decisions.
Those are the essentials I was thinking of plus wipes or toilet paper 😄. Thank you

You might want to consider the smallest back pack that still has a padded hip belt. Carrying any weight on shoulders all day can get old, while if the weight is carried on your hips you will find it much easier. Last year I shipped a small back pack stuffed with as much weight as possible on several occasions, but used my Osprey back pack while walking on the camino, partly because I wanted the water bladder. Carried too much water, you can refill often along the way rather than lug 5 or 6 pounds (1 pound per pint!). Leaving bladder behind this coming fall, but still will walk with 35L Osprey, with maybe only 8 to 10 pounds and ship another 8 to 10 pounds daily (this time I'm taking my 4 pound CPAP breathing machine so fellow pilgrims will be spared my sleep apnea snoring). One issue with shipping, is you have to tell them where to ship it to, which takes away any option of detouring or stopping early or at another albergue.

You might want to consider the smallest back pack that still has a padded hip belt. Carrying any weight on shoulders all day can get old, while if the weight is carried on your hips you will find it much easier. Last year I shipped a small back pack stuffed with as much weight as possible on several occasions, but used my Osprey back pack while walking on the camino, partly because I wanted the water bladder. Carried too much water, you can refill often along the way rather than lug 5 or 6 pounds (1 pound per pint!). Leaving bladder behind this coming fall, but still will walk with 35L Osprey, with maybe only 8 to 10 pounds and ship another 8 to 10 pounds daily (this time I'm taking my 4 pound CPAP breathing machine so fellow pilgrims will be spared my sleep apnea snoring). One issue with shipping, is you have to tell them where to ship it to, which takes away any option of detouring or stopping early or at another albergue.
I would definitely carry a well fitted backpack with hip belt and send heavy items ahead in something like this lightweight packable duffel bag

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UFOETIA/?tag=casaivar02-20

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for the great tip . Im doing with the help of an agency so the lodging is pre-booked so my walking is rigid . That’s why I want a confortsble backpack . Will look into your choices . Regards

If you ship your things ahead you will need a day pack no bigger than 20-25 liters in size, no need for a frame in it, most come with a belt of some sort and at most it should weigh about 3 kilos with your water, snacks, poncho etc in it.
Depending on the time of year you walk, some days it will be immediately apparent whether you need to bring a fleece or poncho in your day pack and you can send them ahead with everything else.
One day I shipped everything ahead just to see what it felt like walking with no pack after about two weeks of walking with one. I had no day pack, so I carried my water and snacks (it was warm and sunny so no need for fleece or poncho) in a bigger plastic bag like you get at a grocer's market. Just walked with it in my hand. I have to say, it was quite liberating not having that pack on my back. Felt almost naked in a sense. Was wonderful. Fully convinced me that the less stuff one brings, the lighter the pack, the happier the Camino.

If you ship your things ahead you will need a day pack no bigger than 20-25 liters in size, no need for a frame in it, most come with a belt of some sort and at most it should weigh about 3 kilos with your water, snacks, poncho etc in it.
Depending on the time of year you walk, some days it will be immediately apparent whether you need to bring a fleece or poncho in your day pack and you can send them ahead with everything else.
One day I shipped everything ahead just to see what it felt like walking with no pack after about two weeks of walking with one. I had no day pack, so I carried my water and snacks (it was warm and sunny so no need for fleece or poncho) in a bigger plastic bag like you get at a grocer's market. Just walked with it in my hand. I have to say, it was quite liberating not having that pack on my back. Felt almost naked in a sense. Was wonderful. Fully convinced me that the less stuff one brings, the lighter the pack, the happier the Camino.
That’s exactly what Im thinking, the less, the better . Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For a day pack I hike with a Gregory Miwok 18. I could get away with the 12 if I was sending material ahead or it was a short hike. This the ´mens' model. If your back is shorter, the Gregory Maya comes in 10, 16 and 22L. I clearly love Gregory as I hiked both caminos with a zulu30. The miwok is not as well built, but lighter and has most features I want: hip belt with pockets, clam shell opening, hydration bladder between bag & back (do not need to unpack to refill). Have fun shopping!

For a day pack I hike with a Gregory Miwok 18. I could get away with the 12 if I was sending material ahead or it was a short hike. This the ´mens' model. If your back is shorter, the Gregory Maya comes in 10, 16 and 22L. I clearly love Gregory as I hiked both caminos with a zulu30. The miwok is not as well built, but lighter and has most features I want: hip belt with pockets, clam shell opening, hydration bladder between bag & back (do not need to unpack to refill). Have fun shopping!
Thank you I will look inyo that brsnd for my size 5’3”

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.