• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back Pack Rain Cover AND Rain Poncho?

LoriLosch

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy to SJPP (Sept 2018)
Hi Camino Friends!

Just finishing my packing list for my solo Le Puy to SJPP Camino starting Aug 24th. Yay!

Question ... my Osprey has a rain cover of course. But it's actually quite heavy. I am bringing a poncho that covers my pack, so I'm thinking I won't bring the back pack rain cover. Bad call or good call? Might bring an umbrella (jerry rigged to my pack) for sun protection, so seems the pack cover is redundant. But still unsure on the umbrella. Obvi pros and cons to that call.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

Edit: Rats ... just saw another similar question on this forum and some good advice, but I don't know how to delete this post. Sorry for the redundancy. Seems I can only edit.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, you could put in a link to that thread you've just found :D. Than others and I who're interested too of the answer won't need to search for it ;-).

Well, you could put in a link to that thread you've just found :D. Than others and I who're interested too of the answer won't need to search for it ;-).

Great idea! But I should have been more clear. It was not really one specific thread. I just did a couple searches under Rain Gear and Poncho and Pack Cover, etc. There were many differing opinions, so it seems (like most things) :) it is really a personal preference. :)

My personal conclusion is that I will bring the pack cover. One post made the most sense to me ... if it's only drizzling and I don't want to done the entire poncho, I'll just cover the pack. I like that. Still unsure on the umbrella.

Hugs everyone! Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Camino Friends!

Just finishing my packing list for my solo Le Puy to SJPP Camino starting Aug 24th. Yay!

Question ... my Osprey has a rain cover of course. But it's actually quite heavy. I am bringing a poncho that covers my pack, so I'm thinking I won't bring the back pack rain cover. Bad call or good call? Might bring an umbrella (jerry rigged to my pack) for sun protection, so seems the pack cover is redundant. But still unsure on the umbrella. Obvi pros and cons to that call.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

Edit: Rats ... just saw another similar question on this forum and some good advice, but I don't know how to delete this post. Sorry for the redundancy. Seems I can only edit.

Had rain gear ... just as wet inside as outside from perspiration ; had rain cover attached to backpack (Osprey) the part against the back got soaked .... finally we bought ponchos that covered the back back and when not in use snapped closed leaving it looking like a normal poncho (bought in SJPP) Hands down the ponchos were the best ! Frances 2016, 2017

Last edited:
I got a cheap light cover from Decathlon for my Osprey backpack. I walk with both this and my poncho. I use the backpack cover if it is drizzly or if rain looks likely but I don't want to put the poncho on until I need to. I also use the backpack cover to help protect the straps if I put the backpack in the hold with my poles. Having said this I might just take the poncho if the cover was bulky or heavy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Take the umbrella which would be beneficial with the sun as well. And the poncho which could double up for a pack cover and your shoulders. An umbrella only doesn’t cover the lower part of the pack, as we have discovered

I found the pack cover to be handy when it was only raining a bit or off and on so that a poncho wasn't really needed but I still wanted to keep my pack dry and when it was raining but the weather was warm and I didn't want to wear the poncho, but still wanted my pack to stay dry.

Edited to add that there were days of significant rain where the pack cover AND poncho together came in handy to try to keep stuff dry, especially with rain coming in sideways and wind blowing the poncho around.

I found an umbrella to be of more use for shade than rain protection. The rain rarely seemed to fall straight down- usually at an angle which limited its usefulness.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Camino Friends!

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

One decent poncho, and save the weight of carrying two. (I found that it also doubles up as a cover for two on a wet seat).
Also if you are going in August it will be hot, I went in September it was very hot, and I only had 1 and a half days of rain. It rained during the nights a few times, but I had pretty dry walking across two caminos. When it did rain the poncho allowed a bit of air flow, which was welcome.

I just bought a backpack that came with the rain cover for it. However, I bought a nice Duluth Trading company raincoat months ago. It's very lightweight and very breathable for being a raincoat and figure, if need be, it will work as a light jacket or windbreaker. Can't imagine trying to rig up an umbrella...think it would just get in my way!

So, no raincoat? I have already read that the raincoat plus the pack raincover doesn’t cover the pack straps. But raincoat seems so much better than a poncho. What tells us the voice of experience?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I bought a super poncho jacket in Saint Jean large enough to fit me and my pack...best thing I could have done and well worth the 60 euros since it rained every day for 2 weeks straight. It rains on and off so I would pull my arms out of the sleeves leaving it over my pack, tie my rain jacket sleeves under my arms around my chest so as to let it dry out until the next down pour...rain stops and started through the day so it was easier to do that than roll it up pack it away and unpack it again. Used the pack cover on non rain days to give visibility to my pack. I never used my northface rain/wind jacket except as a light jacket after walking.

So, no raincoat? I have already read that the raincoat plus the pack raincover doesn’t cover the pack straps. But raincoat seems so much better than a poncho. What tells us the voice of experience?
You will get wet/damp from condensation in most rain jackets and a ponchos so it's a personal preference, and yes your pack straps and belt will get wet when you wear a jacket. The straps on your pack won't allow very good air circulation inside a rain jacket. I'll be walking Arles to Santiago this fall and I plan to take my Altus poncho and some super light gortex rain pants on heavy rain days that I purchased and used last year on the 88 Temple walk in Japan. They didn't form any condensation, even in the heat and kept the water out of my boots!
I sort of do a poncho on, poncho off thing between rain showers keeping it on my pack when I shed it between showers so it dries and acts like a rain cover for my pack. It's worked very well for me on many rainy days. In this way you don't have to stop and take off your pack to put your jacket on and off. You can do it as you walk. I will have a very light gortex jacket for apre-walking on those wet nights when I'm out and about. Hope this helps!

The poncho Jacket I bought in Saint Jean covers you and your pack and straps completely but you may not want to spend so much as it is costly poncho . It’s a Ferrino trekker rain cape, it zips and Velcro closes. I would leave it un zipped and just use the Velcro to keep it closed giving me more aircirciulation . Yes you will have some condensation my wool pullover was damp but my pack dry. Looks like this https://www.ferrino.it/en/shop-en/apparel/women/rainwear/78122vblxl-poncho-trekker-ripstop-lxl.html

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I bought a couple of cheap ponchos, including one for 22 euros in Astorga. Even the 22 euros one only lasted a couple of wears.
I have read some other post here on the forum who swear by their IKEA poncho.
My first 2 weeks was nothing but rain. I had rain gear in the form of a northface rain jacket and rain pants. The pants were a pain , they would not stay up and the constant putting on taking off was just too much. As far as my jacket it was just not long enough and was heavy. I wore running tights so and I had gore Tex trail runners so my feet never got wet. In this case was willing to sacrifice 60 euros ....love love my poncho jacket great quality and will last a long time sometimes cheaper, at least for me, is not always better you end up spending more money in replacement cost in the long run.

I bought a couple of cheap ponchos, including one for 22 euros in Astorga. Even the 22 euros one only lasted a couple of wears.

Yes they vary a bit. I was very disappointed with my first purchase. I felt bad throwing it away because it cost so much. It was my own fault because I didn't try it out first.
My cheap one however lasted another whole Camino, and I've used it heaps at home too.
Its a bit like the Goldilocks story. Too hard, too soft, just right - try them out first.

Yes they vary a bit. I was very disappointed with my first purchase. I felt bad throwing it away because it cost so much. It was my own fault because I didn't try it out first.
My cheap one however lasted another whole Camino, and I've used it heaps at home too.
Its a bit like the Goldilocks story. Too hard, too soft, just right - try them out first.
It can't be your fault for not trying it out. The test is using it in the rain. A couple I had just ripped at the seams, and I'm not sure how you can tell if it will rip or not. My 22 euro poncho also ripped at the back the first day. I don't know if it got caught on anything but the material was very thick so I surprised to see the rip. It was also quite bulky and I needed to keep the weight down in my pack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have read some other post here on the forum who swear by their IKEA poncho.
My first 2 weeks was nothing but rain. I had rain gear in the form of a northface rain jacket and rain pants. The pants were a pain , they would not stay up and the constant putting on taking off was just too much. As far as my jacket it was just not long enough and was heavy. I wore running tights so and I had gore Tex trail runners so my feet never got wet. In this case was willing to sacrifice 60 euros ....love love my poncho jacket great quality and will last a long time sometimes cheaper, at least for me, is not always better you end up spending more money in replacement cost in the long run.
agree it's worth spending money for something that lasts, especially if it is something that you will use again and again. I plan on walking another camino, so it would have been worthwhile if I had, for example, purchased an Altus.

Unfortunately, I bought this on clearance. But if you are tiny (only xs left) and in the US, I really recommend this jacket. I HATE rain jackets and ponchos. I'm a huge sweater and we all know most of these things don't breathe at all and feel like being wrapped in a plastic bag. This jacket is lightweight and has lots of "vents." I wore it on a Paris trip where it was especially useful for when it isn't true rain but just heavy depressing drizzle. It also was longish to go over the waist. and stops just above midthigh. Other than that, all my other clothing is quick dry and moisture wicking. Like I said I sweat. So I'm ALL about that. This jacket also just feels like a regular jacket so will be my backup for windy conditions or a thin second layer.

Duluth is NOT cheap by any stretch. It does make very functional and tough clothing. It's a company that provides the type of clothes most men are used to finding if they need it but their women's line is just something of beauty. All the same tough wearing styles designed for our body types. Their underwear is AMAZING. And pockets!! ALL THE POCKETS! Even for women!!! So yeah, pricey but I plan on keeping a lot of these clothes for years ahead.
https://www.duluthtrading.com/women...#start=18&cgid=womens-outerwear-jackets-coats

I got a cheap light cover from Decathlon for my Osprey backpack. I walk with both this and my poncho. I use the backpack cover if it is drizzly or if rain looks likely but I don't want to put the poncho on until I need to. I also use the backpack cover to help protect the straps if I put the backpack in the hold with my poles. Having said this I might just take the poncho if the cover was bulky or heavy
Perfect. Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I always use Ponchos. They're the best. :) And I normally take my pack cover also, but all my other treks have involved sherpas or porters, so I've never been as focused on the extra milligrams of weight. This will be my first walk where I carry everything on my back. I'm wishing myself luck and fun! :)

Keep it light and cheap with a Poncho. Yes you will sweat in the poncho but it will keep your backpack dry. Believe me you WILL sweat a lot! When it is just raining a little , don't zip up your poncho. If it stops raining you can take it off and stick it somewhere to hang on your pack without having to take off your pack and put it away. If it is raining a lot you will become very good at this technique. Another good thing is if it is a little chilly and windy because it is rainy up in the hills and mountains of the Le Puy Camino you can use the poncho to keep you warm so you don't have to stop again and take out a fleece or whatever extra layer you may need.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Keep it light and cheap with a Poncho. Yes you will sweat in the poncho but it will keep your backpack dry. Believe me you WILL sweat a lot! When it is just raining a little , don't zip up your poncho. If it stops raining you can take it off and stick it somewhere to hang on your pack without having to take off your pack and put it away. If it is raining a lot you will become very good at this technique. Another good thing is if it is a little chilly and windy because it is rainy up in the hills and mountains of the Le Puy Camino you can use the poncho to keep you warm so you don't have to stop again and take out a fleece or whatever extra layer you may need.
Perfect tips. Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As ever, each one has a different story... mine is: the pack cover is useful for a few drops of rain, the mac in a sac likewise, and the poncho covers all. When the rain stops, throw the poncho back over your head and enjoy a respite. And don’t forget the 30 litre drysack inside the rucksack. Wear the shorts of your zip off trousers. As has been noted elsewhere, our skin is fairly waterproof...and sing along as you go, especially if you feel miserable.

Sweet. I have a Ferrino. Love it. :) The Packa looks great too!
Did a training walk today knowing that rain was in the forecast. The Packa worked perfectly. The backpack pouch portion of the jacket stayed on my pack as I walked with my arms in or out of the sleeves. Whenever it started to rain, I just put my arms in the sleeves, pulled the hood up over my hat, and zipped the jacket as much as needed. As soon as the rain stopped, I pulled my arms out of the sleeves, pushed the hood off of my hat, and continued without ever slowing down or stopping. Terrific invention. Highly functional.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Did a training walk today knowing that rain was in the forecast. The Packa worked perfectly. The backpack pouch portion of the jacket stayed on my pack as I walked with my arms in or out of the sleeves. Whenever it started to rain, I just put my arms in the sleeves, pulled the hood up over my hat, and zipped the jacket as much as needed. As soon as the rain stopped, I pulled my arms out of the sleeves, pushed the hood off of my hat, and continued without ever slowing down or stopping. Terrific invention. Highly functional.
About the Packa... Did you use the light weight, medium weight or heavier option? I am hoping that the lightest weight will work for the Camino! Thanks!

About the Packa... Did you use the light weight, medium weight or heavier option? I am hoping that the lightest weight will work for the Camino! Thanks!
Not sure. Bought months ago. Can think of no reason why I would have purchased anything other than the lightest option available. The one I purchased was only available in one color option; olive green(ish). It is lightweight. I bought a small. It covers me (5' 4") and my 60L Osprey pack. I was concerned that the garment might blow off when my arms were not in the sleeves. It was windy as I walked and it never did move. The top "corners" of the pouch went around the top corners of my pack. I believe that is what held the pouch and garment in place. When I came home and took off my pack I had to lift the pouch portion of the garment up and off of my pack. The pouch portion of the garment is made with a different fabric than the jacket. That portion of the garment is extremely light weight. So far, I am extremely pleased with The Packa. I called the fellow who invented The Packa. I made my purchase based on his recommendation.

In May of 2017, I too brought an Osprey pack with rain cover, but only a jacket, no poncho. What I found is that in driving rain, water seeps between the pack and your back and gets to the inside of your backpack. I didn't realize this flaw until after I left. Solution was to alter a poncho just to cover my head, shoulders and my pack. Works great with a superlight rain jacket.

I strongly recommend going out now each time it rains heavily with all your gear to determine any flaws that might exist in your planning and execution.

[QUOTE

Any thoughts or advice?
.[/QUOTE]

I did my Camino Sept - Oct 2015. I took a poncho that I left in Pamplona, as the thing just turned into a sail if there was any wind. A light pack cover and lightweight rainsuit were better for me. Parasol? Possibly, but a good wide-brimmed hat will serve you better.

David (in Nova Scotia)

€149,-
Hi Camino Friends!

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

The one thing I wish I had brought on our Camino was an umbrella. We had some days early on the Norte in excess of 90 F. With the sun beating down and hot asphalt it was a killer. Led my daughter to dub those days as shit walking days. I have since bought a hiking umbrella and easyily tie it to my Osprey pack strap with 2 stretch cords and locks.

We packed everything on the inside of our packs inside of a multitude of slider food storage bags. Sleeping bag has its own bag, shirts, extra pants, undies, etc. Press out all of the air before sealing. Everything slides in and out easily, still malleable enough to adjust shape for the perfect fit inside your backpack. With everything on the inside watertight, our pack covers were mostly intended to keep the packs from becoming saturated with water and getting even heavier.
I wore a Gore-Tex type rain jacket and my regular hiking pants.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Camino Friends!

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

I used my Osprey rain cover to wrap my backpack as a carry-on. Worked perfect. I also had a poncho in my 13-lb pack, which I used twice in Galicia. Buen Camino

I hiked last time in March 2018 and was grateful for the Osprey backpack cover AND a poncho AND a light rain jacket and pants (which were my only second pants). I was very judicious with weight, coming in at about 11 lbs max. But that was March and I had days of driving wind, rain, and sleet. In August? The pack cover and a light rain jacket/windbreaker should be fine. It's very unlikely you'll encounter more than light rain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It depends on when you're hiking and what the weather is like. If I had only a poncho on those blustery, rainy, cold (40s with sleet and gale-force winds) days, I and my pack would have been soaked and I would have been freezing. And I'm from Maine! I'm used to cold weather. Ponchos love to whip around and expose areas in unexpected ways. Ay least that's been my experience. So......IMHO it completely depends on the time of year and what you can tolerate. When I did the Camino in the summer, all I took was a light water-resistant windbreaker and the pack cover. And even then I did have one day of rain that stopped me early. But that was it. My pack stayed dry. (I would also like to sing the praises of wool as a base layer in rain and/or cold. It breathes and stays warm no matter what. Thin, multi-layers are key.) I am a small woman and I did March with 11 lbs total. And that was less on cold days when I wore everything :)

It depends on when you're hiking and what the weather is like. If I had only a poncho on those blustery, rainy, cold (40s with sleet and gale-force winds) days, I and my pack would have been soaked and I would have been freezing. And I'm from Maine! I'm used to cold weather. Ponchos love to whip around and expose areas in unexpected ways. Ay least that's been my experience. So......IMHO it completely depends on the time of year and what you can tolerate. When I did the Camino in the summer, all I took was a light water-resistant windbreaker and the pack cover. And even then I did have one day of rain that stopped me early. But that was it. My pack stayed dry. (I would also like to sing the praises of wool as a base layer in rain and/or cold. It breathes and stays warm no matter what. Thin, multi-layers are key.) I am a small woman and I did March with 11 lbs total. And that was less on cold days when I wore everything :)

There are techniques in using a poncho which will keep that which you describe from occuring. In all of the thousands of miles backpacking I have done, including 5.5 months on the Pacific Crest Trail, all I used was a poncho for a foul weather outer layer. I never had any real problems.

Whatever works for you! Different strokes......

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Whatever works for you! Different strokes......

:) Let me clarify a bit. There are different preferences, and folks do not have to justify those. That wasn't, however, what I was referring to.

The Packa is a great rain coat/poncho/pack cover, but it is spendy. I made myself a "parcho", which is similar from a kit from Quest Outfitters. You customize it to your size and your pack size. Mine weighs just 7.2 ounces.

Hi Camino Friends!

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

I threw away my poncho 6000 km ago and bought an umbrella. Keep me and my pack drier and keeps off the sun. No regrets.

Thank you everyone! Chose to bring the ponco and cover. Used each once for about 20 mins. Just finished Le Puy to SJPP. Was absolute epicness!! Have 3 days before my flight leaves from Paris. Considering walking to Bayonne. Feels too weird to not get to walk a long distance tomorrow. By the looks of things, it’s just a 2 day walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.