• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back Pack weight...how much should a person carry?

Pattii

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
I am wondering how much a person should be carrying in the backpack. Not sure if there is a thread for this, but how much on average should I be expecting my backpack to weigh with and without the backpack? The backpack of course has not been chosen and that would have to be taken into consideration I'm sure.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A general rule of thumb is not more 10% of your body weight, I don't know where this comes from but it is a reasonable guide, which I might add I never seem able to achieve. I weigh ninety two kilos generally but my full pack always came in at 10 - 11 kilos. Best bet try and carry what you feel comfortable with and less if possible.

One perspective that I have found useful is consider how little I need anything. You will generally be where you can buy anything you would like in very little time - you will never be "alone" devoid of all retail outlets one could desire. The lighter your backpack the easier the walk.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is one of the more interesting questions. As @wayfarer says, there is a 'rule' used that has no traceable provenance. The one time I thought I was getting close to finding where it might have originated, the source I had tracked down had changed their advice, and was no longer recommending it! That said, like many magic numbers, it lives on.

That does not mean that the advice itself isn't sound in a very limited range of circumstances. The 10% guideline is useful if you are walking in summer, are prepared to be a little uncomfortable and carry the minimum necessary, and the guide is for the bare pack, ie without any consumables. Some people can even go under that, but it is not clear to me that they aren't relying on other pilgrims being prepared to support them by those other pilgrims 'sharing' things they themselves were not prepared to carry.

A better guide is to use a from the skin out measure, when everything that is worn and carried is accounted for, and this doesn't vary from season to season. A FSO target of 20% of your ideal walking weight is a good, and traceable, goal. I can achieve that in spring, including slightly heavier rain gear and a sleeping bag, and still carry a reasonable amount of water and snacks.

There is a saying that to travel far, carry less. It is good advice. As @MichaelB10398 suggests, the lighter the backpack the better. But be careful about relying on being able to get things along the way. It is overly optimistic to suggest that you will find tiendas and farmacias in the places and at the times that you are going to need them. I suggest you should carry enough to deal with any minor issues, especially blisters, for a day or so. It is the same with chocolate!

Last edited:
At the end of the day you will make personal decisions regarding what you feel you must take with you. Put that all in the bag and weigh it. That is the weight you have decided to carry. The learning curve lies in all those many decisions.

@Pattii, I think I saw elsewhere that you are planning to carry a tent. This will make a FSO=20% target difficult to achieve. A more complete statement of the FSO guidance is that there is minimal impact on walking speed up to FSO=20%, and loads above FSO=30% should be avoided.

I know when I have carried heavier loads, my walking speed has dropped by as much as 30% as the load has got closer to FSO=30%.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've located a tent that is quite light and I'm still looking. My situations with meds etc require that I send things ahead occasionally and I will only carry the tent when I plan on using it. I'm hoping that when its all said and done that it won't make as much difference as I thought it would at first. I will also be using my walking poles as tent poles so I won't be carrying anything like that. I plan on skimming some weight off by some specific containers for water and other liquids I found that are basically glorified plastic bags. Things like my shampoo/body soap will be in those which will skim weight in bottles. Im doing my best to skim once by once...even gram by gram other things as well. I will be for instance downloading my guide onto an ap on my iPod (which will be my camera and my communication device. (still deciding about a phone...not convinced yet that I need it) I am not bringing a very heavy sleeping bag and instead have decided to take double duty clothing that I can wear instead of needing a heavy bag. So in the end it may work out equal to what it would have been if I had not taken one. I know my bag will be heavier than some anyway...but at the end of the day I have decided to not walk 25km per section. Im going to take it a bit slower so carrying the weight might be bit easier if its not as long during the day. I am not a really small person. I stand over 5'7" and Im built strong like bull twice good looking and I do weight truanting so Im fairly strong so have given myself a few extra lbs because of that. It's all such a tetris game a puzzle.... Honestly one of the annoying extra weight is going to be coming from are my meds. I can't leave less than a month in my pack just incase something happens and I can't get at the extra's They weigh more than we think. Anyway I really appreciate the input!

... Things like my shampoo/body soap will be in those which will skim weight in bottles. Im doing my best to skim once by once...even gram by gram ...
Consider a solid bar soap that is sutable for Hair/Body & Clothes washing. Carrying liquid soap is simply carrying diluted solid soap that is mostly water. Look for a nice glycerine soap or Dr Bronners bar soaps.

As far as your meds, that is an issue we are working on now witih our daughter, she is a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic. If her insulin pump works, she needs very few supplies, but if it fail she needs a lot of supplies. When we travel we always travel with supplies assuming failure. As of yet the only answer I have is a bigger pack to accomidate the supplies.

I w
Consider a solid bar soap that is sutable for Hair/Body & Clothes washing. Carrying liquid soap is simply carrying diluted solid soap that is mostly water. Look for a nice glycerine soap or Dr Bronners bar soaps.

As far as your meds, that is an issue we are working on now witih our daughter, she is a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic. If her insulin pump works, she needs very few supplies, but if it fail she needs a lot of supplies. When we travel we always travel with supplies assuming failure. As of yet the only answer I have is a bigger pack to accomidate the supplies.
I have very very dry skin. Most soaps dry me out so bad that it triggers severe skin chafing on my face and legs which get very sore and uncomfortable. SO unless there is something out there that will work as well as a cleansing cream then I'm pretty much stuck. Hair is not so bad but its fine and I understand about carrying liquids but It would literally break and fall out if I didn't use a high density moisture product. So I am open to suggestions??...I mean I can literally put coconut oil on my face and body and it soaks completely in within 30 mins...just so so dry.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know this may sound odd, but you can dehydrate you liquid soap.

I come to this forum with a background in wilderness backpacking. To save weight and space, wilderness backpakers have figured out how to dehydrate everything from food to toothpaste.

So pick your favorite moisturizing liquid soap and dehydrate it. To use it just add water. It will weigh a lot less without the water.

10% of your body weight in summer and 15% in winter, all FSO including food and water is my personal rule of thumb also.

I've located a tent that is quite light ---!

You do not need a tent on the CF, nor is wild/stealth camping allowed in most parts of Spain. On the CF you find albergues every 5km or so, apart of very few stretches where they are 15km apart, so there is no need to carry a tent imo.

Buen Camino, SY

I come to this forum with a background in wilderness backpacking. To save weight and space, wilderness backpakers have figured out how to dehydrate everything from food to toothpaste.

So pick your favorite moisturizing liquid soap and dehydrate it. To use it just add water. It will weigh a lot less without the water.
My face cleanser is not a soap so I'm not sure how that would go. Body soap is ok but again I fight with dry dry skin so I don't want to be chaffed and uncomfortable. Im looking now into something in a bar that would be ok for my body...but I don't think I mind carrying the extra weight of the liquid cleanser. I found a great collapsing bottle container...which I will transfer it into... so that will save some weight. Any ideas for body soap that is hugely moisturizing. I can't see my body being ok with a cleanser for clothes although I am ok washing clothes with soap I use for my body if you know what I mean... I'm not a princess..lol...it just really hurts ...much like eczema so it cracks and bleeds if I am not careful. Especially in the sun.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
10% of your body weight in summer and 15% in winter, all FSO including food and water is my personal rule of thumb also.

You do not need a tent on the CF, nor is wild/stealth camping allowed in most parts of Spain. On the CF you find albergues every 5km or so, apart of very few stretches where they are 15km apart, so there is no need to carry a tent imo.

Buen Camino, SY
I know most people thing I don't need a tent but I can't deal with being in a room full of people when I sleep. I have heard of many people camping the Camino...and a back yard is fine with me. I can't afford to sleep in a private room every night so thats right out for me. A tent is a good alternative...its not about where I camp...its about being around so many people when I sleep. I am sure I can find alburges that allow me to pitch my tent in a back yard. And I'm not afraid of asking people if I can use their land if I need to...don't even mind paying them a little something to use it. I have sleep issues...and a medical condition which makes it essential I get rest. So yeah I will be tenting sometimes but Im not necessarily looking to be away from everything and everyone...its mostly about sleeping. AND BEDBUGS. OMG I just can't.

The other thing...and I am noticing this as a recurring theme through out...is the idea of fellowship and camino spirit. The idea for me at least during part of my journey is to remove myself from the social part of things. I am always having to deal with a lot of people in my career as an entertainer. I tend to be very very social. I want to walk part of my journey in silence and its pretty hard to do that in a room full of people talking to me. So for me the tent is very important.

Last edited:
Pattii, not sure if you purchased your backpack yet, or if you owned on previously, but packs are rated by the amount of weight they can comfortably carry.

Since you plan on taking a tent & sleeping bag my recommendation would be for you to buy all your GEAR with the exception of the pack. Weigh it. Add the weight of a liter of water. Once you know the TOTAL weight of the items you have, then look for a backpack that will carry that amount of WEIGHT within its comfort zone.

The type and construction of the suspension system will determine the weight the pack can carry. If you have 30# that you are going to carry, find a pack that can carry at least 35, or better yet, 40#. You never want to carry equal to the maximum comfortable carry weight of the pack.

Pattii, not sure if you purchased your backpack yet, or if you owned on previously, but packs are rated by the amount of weight they can comfortably carry.

Since you plan on taking a tent & sleeping bag my recommendation would be for you to buy all your GEAR with the exception of the pack. Weigh it. Add the weight of a liter of water. Once you know the TOTAL weight of the items you have, then look for a backpack that will carry that amount of WEIGHT within its comfort zone.

The type and construction of the suspension system will determine the weight the pack can carry. If you have 30# that you are going to carry, find a pack that can carry at least 35, or better yet, 40#. You never want to carry equal to the maximum comfortable carry weight of the pack.
Thats a very good idea...thanks. I had been thinking about that. I have a list of things in order of importance for me to take. Lol most of you will laugh but that even includes a tiny bottle of perfume (not sure if i will bring one or buy one). I would rather carry a few more lbs and go a little slower than not have what I need. That is very annoying. That being said...I am not over packing. I'm able to get by with very little...there are just some specifics that I need to have including a nice scent, a good moisturizer and some mascara and lipgloss. I do plan on staying the weekends settled somewhere for a day or two and want to feel like I can go out occasionally without looking like I am a complete mess. So I have planned for these things and yes will make sure I weigh everything before I pack.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
God I was just thinking how odd that sounds. I want to camp a lot of the time but I need my lipgloss. lmao I am odd and Im ok with that...lol
We each have to follow our own path in life and what it takes to make one person happy may not be the same as what it takes for another to barely crack a smile. You only need to travel the path that makes you happy and if that is taking a bit of lip gloss then so be it.

But honeslty if you are walking the Camino and taking some time in some of the cities to see some sights and spend a bit of extra time, then what you are proposing is not at all unreasonable. The spartans among us will repeat the 10% of body weight rule, but never forget that wilderness backpackers will carry 25%, 30% or more of their body weight or more through untamed lands and up mountain sides. So if you are willing to take more time and end up with a pack that is 15%+ of your body weight, then I say go for it. BUT CHOOSE A PACK that will easily support the weight of the load you plan to carry.

FWIW, I am flying to the UK this week to hike the Hadrian's Wall trail next week, my pack is rated up to 20kg, but I will carry about 10kg. I would much rather carry 10kg (22#) in a pack rated for 20kg, than in a pack rated for 10kg because the suspension system will more efficiently carry & transfer the weight, making it far more comfortable to carry.

This is such valuable info and support I sure appreciate it. I hope you have a good hike and I would love to hear all about it. Any suggestions for packs...ie brands?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is such valuable info and support I sure appreciate it. I hope you have a good hike and I would love to hear all about it. Any suggestions for packs...ie brands?
Honestly NO.

I've owned several different brands and used more than I've owned. I think that packs are a really personal choice.
  • First off, it has to properly fit you (please go to the local Moosejaw, REI or similar outdoor store to be properly fitted by someone who know how to fit a pack)
  • Secondly, it must carry the WEIGHT of the load you are going to carry, hopefully with at least 20% to spare (pack makers acutally rate their packs carrying capacity, you want your maximum load to be under the maximum weight/load capacity of the pack)
  • Third, the pack must carry the VOLUME of the load you will be carrying. This is the easy goal to achieve.
There are features that you may want, and those may create trade offs on some of the above points. For example the packs with "trampoline" style back panels that have mesh suspension to keep your back cool tend to have lower weight carrying capacities, they also tend to push the load away from your back. While wonderful for carrying light to modest loads, they are miserable for carrying heavy loads. Fortunately you won't be carrying a heavy load. But that doesn't mean one of these packs is your ideal pack. Others use articulated hipbelts and wire frame suspensions that allow the packs to move with your stride, these are not necessarly going to allow as much airflow on your back but will much more easily handle a load suitable for a sherpa. LIGHTER WEIGHT packs tend to forgo some features, they often have fewer pockets, less padding, lower weight carrying capacity, fewer lash points, etc. These are all features you may be able to live without and never miss.

FWIW, the pack I will use next week will be a Mammut Creon Light (45Liter size, <20kg weight limit), while my wife will use a Lowe Alpine 30L non-adjustable Women's Air Zone Trek 30 and my daughter will use a Lowe Alpine 35L men's adjustable Air Zone Trek (both have a carry capacity <15kg). Why is my daughter carrying a men's pack? It fits!!! She had back surgery, now has a steel rod clamped to her spine, the pack works for her, so that is what she chose.

The US military has done studies. 1# on your feet = 6# on your back. So if you need to carry a little more than the pilgrim walking next to you, consider wearing lighter footwear. Wearing a pair of lightweight LaSportiva trail runners instead of Keen Targheel hiking boots may be a better choice than trying to shave 1# from your pack.

As always, my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. Use your brain, ask a lot of questions, make informed decisions that are suitable for what YOU plan to do. Oh, and enjoy.

Last edited:
If I need to carry a full pack - tent, cooking kit, sleeping bag etc. - I always aim at less then 30 lb. On top of this their is water and food at about 0.5 kg/day. But halving this weight I can double the distance travelled. I do this by ditching the tent, sleeping bag, cooking etc. On the Camino this is easily achievable, in my experience their seems to be no reason to camp - unless you really enjoy it that is. In addition you get no feet, leg or back problems making it much more enjoyable - worthy of consideration!

@Pattii, if you want
On top of this their is water and food at about 0.5 kg/day.
I would be interested to know what foods give you sufficient calorific value and are that light. My most recent multi-day food weight budget was 800gm/day, and I planned on starting out with 2 li of water. I know there might be some weight effects, but I didn't think they were that significant.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am not sure you are asking me but I am gonna take a crack at answering. I think one of the best things to carry are beans and legumes. It does take some time to cook them if they are dry but even if in the last town you pass you can pick up a can or two...the weight for a couple hours (or less if you can get them where you are going) makes it worth the while. You can partially pre soak the night before tho, and you can carry soaked beans for much less weight than a can of beans (talking fava or black beans). But even drained and patted dry does not hurt them and they can be later put into broth or used with veg and meat. Also...just from my experience boiled eggs and dried meats and fish are excellent as is powdered milk, although I have no clue if one can acquire powdered milk along the Camino. The Jamaican dish of rice and "peas" which are essentially beans is almost a perfect protein and an exceptional carb to protein ratio. My fave are fava for their nutritional value... in one cup canned or cooked for instance: 32g complex carbs, 14g protein, 9g fibre and 14 % iron with only 1 gram of fat. And that is just the beans. You add the grain and you are set. I use them all the time in cooking. I use other grains like quinoa sometimes instead of rice which ups the nutritional value. I lived in Jamaica for some time and you learn a different way of cooking. You would be surprised at what you can come up with with some dried fish and a cup of dried rice and beans and a few veg. I have done this before for hiking trips..the hikes were not long but we were away from stores for almost a week in more of a wilderness area. I assume these things can be found along the Camino which is why I intend to cook a lot for myself...budget and quality of food are both important to me. And I am not a picky eater which makes a huge difference. This does not mean I will not eat out on the Camino. But as I said I do plan on cooking a lot of the time.

Reply to Doug:
On the Camino I don't carry any water at all, plenty of bars and watering places along the way. Maybe if it gets really hot the I would change my mind and I do carry a empty bottle just in case . I weighed my pack today and it was under 5 kg, that's for a months walk.
The weight of 0.5 kg (1 lb)/ day is just for food only and would be a rough check before I set out for a long trek in the wilderness - so 14 days nominal would be around 7.5 kg (14 lb). Under these sort of conditions (outback/wild) I would only carry 1 days worth of water - 1 litre. But everyone is different, I like to travel light and maybe a bit risky - but I am still here :)

If I need to carry a full pack - tent, cooking kit, sleeping bag etc. - I always aim at less then 30 lb. On top of this their is water and food at about 0.5 kg/day. But halving this weight I can double the distance travelled. I do this by ditching the tent, sleeping bag, cooking etc. On the Camino this is easily achievable, in my experience their seems to be no reason to camp - unless you really enjoy it that is. In addition you get no feet, leg or back problems making it much more enjoyable - worthy of consideration!

Every Camino is different because every person is different. I am very self aware and I know best what is best for me. There are several reasons I have mentioned in this thread and others that I will be camping some of the time. I do not find it uncomfortable...a bad mattress can wreck my back faster than the ground will. I was talking to someone and they mentioned being a loner which is why they like to camp and camped the Camino successfully. I am not everyone else. I am not going on the Camino for everyone else. I am walking it for me. I don't enjoy sleeping in the same room as a doz other people and in my mind that is the last option I would consider. This is not to say I don't want to get to know people but really think about it...are you getting to know people on the camino when you sleep? No. You are getting recycled air and perhaps flue and cold germs and some very annoying sleepless nights, smells, and other things that for the most part PERSONALLY I would just rather avoid. I will be social during the evening and try to get to know people along the way which is what everyone seems to be referring to as the Camino Spirit so I don't think I will be missing out on that. I also really feel called to walk some of the Camino in complete silence. This is NOT attainable in an albergue full of people. AND I love to camp. I am a Canadian...we camp a lot...I camp a lot... and I find it very good for my mind and soul. I have a sleeping issue...and a mental illness that although is quite thoroughly managed can be triggered with severe consequences if I do not sleep properly. I am not afraid of animals and snakes etc. although spiders are a phobia...but I feel I can manage a smaller space/area regarding the spiders than if I were in an albergue. I mean really do you want me up in your albergue having a complete panic attack, screaming and crying and almost peeing my pants because a spider just walked across the floor in front of me when I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. How many friends would I make that way. Snoring really bothers me too. And people up and about...once one person is up I am up and I can't sleep again.
Anyway... for most of you camping seems stupid. That's fine but it is a great option and I know there are several people who have camped successfully along the Camino and enjoyed their walk much more so because of it. I know I will carry some extra weight but I am the one carrying the pack and I am ok with that too. I can't explain more than this. I really don't know if I need to. But please don't judge me for camping just cause it seems like a stupid idea to you...not saying you especially... but sometimes I feel that is what happens on this forum. If someone doesn't do the regular thing people pipe up and make them feel like there is something wrong with them. It is very inappropriate to think that I haven't thot this through. I am highly intelligent and I have a very logical mind...I DO KNOW that there are many many albergues along the path...and know what?? If I find an empty one or one with a private room for very cheap I would stay there. But camping is my choice and it is my Camino and I am the only one that has to live with that decision. But thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Reply to Doug:
On the Camino I don't carry any water at all, plenty of bars and watering places along the way. Maybe if it gets really hot the I would change my mind and I do carry a empty bottle just in case . I weighed my pack today and it was under 5 kg, that's for a months walk.
The weight of 0.5 kg (1 lb)/ day is just for food only and would be a rough check before I set out for a long trek in the wilderness - so 14 days nominal would be around 7.5 kg (14 lb). Under these sort of conditions (outback/wild) I would only carry 1 days worth of water - 1 litre. But everyone is different, I like to travel light and maybe a bit risky - but I am still here :)
Yes I have been told water is very plentiful along the Camino and with the amount of towns one walks through, unless specific days, I would think that you could carry less water than what you would if you were in wilderness...and even then, in Canada...water is plentiful. Drinking water while you are by it is a good way to go. One should not wait to drink water when their mouth is dry as that is a sign dehydration is already setting in, but should drink at regular intervals. I will drink my fill and take a litre of water for when I am in between towns if I need it.

I am wondering how much a person should be carrying in the backpack. Not sure if there is a thread for this, but how much on average should I be expecting my backpack to weigh with and without the backpack? The backpack of course has not been chosen and that would have to be taken into consideration I'm sure.
I should just reiterate the pack I have carried so far was not meant for this distance so I didn't worry so much about the weight of it. I normally just take an older pack I have. I 've never travelled this great of a distance which is why I initially asked. I've not bought a new pack in years and I will for this trip along with a new tent and bag.

Every Camino is different because every person is different. . .

As is said on the AT: Hike your own hike.

Translated to Camino talk: Walk your own walk :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Water - how much do you carry? To me 1 litre is only an hour's worth during summer conditions. I freak when I hear about people carrying so little on the VDLP where there are stages with few bars and water sources.

Water - how much do you carry? To me 1 litre is only an hour's worth during summer conditions. I freak when I hear about people carrying so little on the VDLP where there are stages with few bars and water sources.
I think one has to gauge where and when you can fill up. You hear about there being stages where water is not easily found but there are other stages where it is found every few hours or so...sometimes more than that. A person must know their needs and judge accordingly. There is no right or wrong answer for some of these details imho.

I did the Bibbulmun Track (Ausie outback) over two months carrying around a litre a day - only got caught out the once and then in desperation had to drink some revolting saline water - didn't do me any lasting harm though. I would carry a few water purification tablets so if desperate then you can always use dubious drinking sources. I can't recall anywhere along the stretch I did between Leon and Santiago not having a bar/fountain of more then a hours gap.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did the Bibbulmun Track (Ausie outback) over two months carrying around a litre a day - only got caught out the once and then in desperation had to drink some revolting saline water - didn't do me any lasting harm though. I would carry a few water purification tablets so if desperate then you can always use dubious drinking sources. I can't recall anywhere along the stretch I did between Leon and Santiago not having a bar/fountain of more then a hours gap.
Do you think its a good idea to carry the water purification tabs even on the Camino? I have wondered about that. I know many people drink the water from the fountains and taps but honestly is it always safe? I have thot about bringing some.

Three points:
  • Bibbulmum Track is hardly 'Aussie outback' as you put it. It might be long, and tough, but it is completely in a temperate climate zone. The track itself is designed to feel isolated, but it is far from remote.
  • It should also be made clear that the Bibbulman Track Foundation essential equipment list for overnight walking is to carry 2 litres of water. Ignoring that advice is a testament to stupidity not to sensible water hygiene.
  • In relation to the time to walk between towns from Leon to Santiago, I did some checking on this last year, and the post is here. Based on walking at 5kph, over 30% of towns between Leon and Santiago are over an hours walking from the previous town.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I do, and will continue to do so. They don't weigh much, and give you an option should you find that you have to rely on a non-potable or non-purified source

perhaps there might be a shortage of a potable water at some parts of Camino, but I never encountered a deficit of wine ...

perhaps there might be a shortage of a potable water at some parts of Camino, but I never encountered a deficit of wine ...
I wouldn't characterise it as a shortage, but when the font is marked non-purificado, and your bottle or water bladder is empty, it is nice to have the option. It has only happened to me a couple of times in Spain, more frequently elsewhere.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On the Camino I don't carry any water at all, plenty of bars and watering places along the way.
Well, everyone is different, but, in my opinion, if you don't carry any water on the Meseta, you may die. Don't take dehydration lightly; it kills. I carried 2 liters on the Meseta and needed every drop.

... On the Camino I don't carry any water at all, plenty of bars and watering places along the way. ...

Be thankful that you survived in good health! You were lucky! SY

Three points:
  • Bibbulmum Track is hardly 'Aussie outback' as you put it. It might be long, and tough, but it is completely in a temperate climate zone. The track itself is designed to feel isolated, but it is far from remote.
  • It should also be made clear that the Bibbulman Track Foundation essential equipment list for overnight walking is to carry 2 litres of water. Ignoring that advice is a testament to stupidity not to sensible water hygiene.
  • In relation to the time to walk between towns from Leon to Santiago, I did some checking on this last year, and the post is here. Based on walking at 5kph, over 30% of towns between Leon and Santiago are over an hours walking from the previous town.
* Doug - As an example its a 2 week walk from Perth to the next town, where you can re stock on food. In that distance you cross one road which has a café. In the peak season i walked five days in this section without seeing a solitary person - not sure what the definition of remote or outback is but .......as anywhere on the mainland it can be hot/cold/wet regardless.
* Water - as in life if you carried/did everything that's recommended - but I do know that in this case if I did then I simply would not be able to carry my pack with two weeks of food. At the end of the day the ultimate responsibility really does lie with you.
* Town/Café/Font I cant remember water ever being an issue. If 70% of the towns are within an hour of each other then my hour between water stops seems a pretty good estimate - but as I said above it is your responsibility.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you think its a good idea to carry the water purification tabs even on the Camino? I have wondered about that. I know many people drink the water from the fountains and taps but honestly is it always safe? I have thot about bringing some.

Hi you have the choice of Iodine (cant buy in the EEC now) Chlorine or a filter. I prefer the chlorine as it tastes better, the only drawback is one pill only does a litre only - but in the context of the Camino that's adequate . Ten pills probably take as much room as a credit card. So in my view worth taking - remember you need a cloth (clean handkerchief to strain of the big stuff .

... - remember you need a cloth (clean handkerchief to strain of the big stuff .

Come on, that is absolutely unrealistic for the Camino in Spain! If you are suspicious of a fountain, sigh, ok, through a tablet in and wait the prescribed time for it to work but unless you are planing to drink water out of puddles there is no 'big stuff' to be filtered out! SY

PS Unless a fountain is marked 'no potable' the water is fine to drink, sometimes a bit heavy on chlorine, but perfectly safe!

Be thankful that you survived in good health! You were lucky! SY
I have walked (a lot of them on my lonesome and having medical problems) the GR1o - med to the Atlantic via the Pyrenees, Annapurna circuit at the height of the civil war, North Vietnam - hill villages, Tibet up in the hills, walked up Aconcagua, various long walks in Tasmania, various long walks in NZ, West highland way, Stevenson walk in central France, travelled all over China, lots of climbing in Wales, Virginia -Appalachian Trail, tribal area in Orissa India plus a few others. Apart from a few tumbles and staring down the barrel of a gun once I haven't got a scratch - I must have one of the most overworked guardian angels on the planet :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hehehe, I know what you mean! My two are starting to tremble whenever I start to plan the next walkie ;-) SY

ROFL! You live in Milton Keynes? We used to live in Finmere! Small world indeed! SY

* Doug - As an example its a 2 week walk from Perth to the next town, where you can re stock on food. In that distance you cross one road which has a café. In the peak season i walked five days in this section without seeing a solitary person - not sure what the definition of remote or outback is but .......as anywhere on the mainland it can be hot/cold/wet regardless.
@Patch, this is one section of the Bibbulman that I have walked, and my recollection is completely different. Perhaps we have a different perception, but my recollection is that on the leg from Kalamunda to Dwellingup (about 210 km) over half of the track is within a few kilometres of a major road, either the Albany or Brookton Highways. More, you cross both of these major roads and a number of minor ones as well, and I was pretty sure that there was another cafe:). If I discount the access points you might pass on the first day, there are 11 other access points on that leg, and 16 campsites.

I haven't done an end-to-end, but my recollection from looking at this in the past is that there are a number of places where one could not get to a point where a food drop could be arranged for a few days, and one might need to carry up to four days of food for these. But there is nowhere where you are more than about 10 km from a campsite or access point, and well over 50% of the trail is within 5 km of a campsite or access point. The idea that you would have needed to carry 14 days food surprises me, and appears completely unnecessary unless you were not prepared and did not put in place the necessary logistical arrangements beforehand.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So going back to the original thread. I am wondering if there is a rule of thumb FOR THE CAMINO for percentages of weight. i.e.. backpack weight, sleeping bag weight, food weight, clothing weight. Maybe I am odd...I'm sure there are some that think I am ...but I am curious what is actually in a persons backpack...what becomes priority... we know for some it is water and food and definitely not a tent...but in what order of priority do you distribute the weight say in a 40lb (edit 40 liter) pack. Or do you even use one that size. What brand names should one stay away from and which backpacks do you all have for this journey?

Last edited by a moderator:
Usual pyramid of human needs, the things you can't survive without:

Water
Food
Warmth/Clothing
Shelter

All else is luxury and depends on your ability to carry it. SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Really, who cares about rules. Bring as little as you need and call it a day. Does the average man who weighs more than the average woman need any more "stuff" that his fellow female pilgrim? No. So why should he pack it? Or should a heavier woman need more junk than a thinner one and bring it? No. Bring the essential, and if it's too much, well, all is a Camino danger and dump it along the way.

there is no such thing how much a person should be carrying in the backpack, rather how much one can afford
to carry. as said before, these matters are individual, but one scenario finding out the answers might be as follows:
1. if you currently own a pack (any kind of, if no perhaps you can borrow one), load it with some 6-8 kg old newspapers or something and go for a walk let say 10km.
2. if you can not make it, consider fitness trainings, or sending your pack ahead when on camino.
3. if you feel OK add some 2-4kg more and walk again.
4. still fine? you are ready to visit an equipment store and choose your favourite backpack. if no, then a little more training might be required.
5. when in store, ask for advice, describing expected activity. you do not necessary need the lightest pack, but the best fitting for sure. perhaps about 40l or so. again it should be fitted when loaded at least with 10kg.
6. for summer activities I really like Airspeed suspension equipped Osprey packs, but there are many other options. most importantly - take the one which you feel most comfortable.
7. congratulations! now you have your pack and can proceed with packing list. many good suggestions on this forum elsewhere.
good luck!

One perspective that I have found useful is consider how little I need anything. You will generally be where you can buy anything you would like in very little time - you will never be "alone" devoid of all retail outlets one could desire. The lighter your backpack the easier the walk.
On the Camino Francés that would be true. Less so on - for example - the Plata or the Primitivo. I'm not sure complete minimalism is sensible, though psychologically "travelling light" is probably what we should all aim for. I find pack weight often reflects the baggage people carry inside themselves!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yikes. Is that a typo? I know you asked about percentages for various categories, but I can't imagine there being a rule of thumb for the camino that would apply to this weight.
I meant 40L yes it was a typo...lol GOD never would I carry that much. Im not a masochist.

On the Camino Francés that would be true. Less so on - for example - the Plata or the Primitivo. I'm not sure complete minimalism is sensible, though psychologically "travelling light" is probably what we should all aim for. I find pack weight often reflects the baggage people carry inside themselves!
Some people have more items that can't be left at home i.e. meds or special shoes or what ever. Not sure that is baggage. However I am more concerned about lists. I know that there are specific things that need to be taken and each thing needs to be weighed and considered. I'm not quite that blond...lol. I am thinking more along the lines of what is too heavy for a sleeping bag for example. Is it really necessary to get the lightest weight bag in the market and spend a tonne more than getting something say 10oz heavier, save some money and still be ok with carrying it. I am aware of what the rule of thumb is and I am aware of what I will need but does it make so much of a difference? I suppose it doesn't I maybe should look at lists of what people carry. My walk if I decide to go is a while away. Sometimes it is good to have something as a reference. I have a hard time getting a solid out of people here. I am a list person. When I shop I have lists. I may not find what I need the day I go but if I have my list perhaps another day I will see something that I need at a good price and then think...oh ya thats on my list...I should consider buying that while I see it on sale or while I am thinking about it. Maybe someone just needs to point me to a thread that someone has typed a list. Because I have other things I can't leave behind ...as I said meds which I have to take...I am trying to adjust for that. I really don't want to have to send my things on for various reasons. Yeah so I guess I just need a list...and approximate weights that I should be looking at for said items.
And I think totally backwards from the idea that start with 4 lbs then add. I have specifics as I mentioned that I need to carry. I am more the type of person that says ...ok I need to carry 15 to 17 lbs...get fit enough to do it.

ROFL! You live in Milton Keynes? We used to live in Finmere! Small world indeed! SY
Milton Keynes - lovely place with a great cycle network (Finmere is nice place as well). Used to take my children out on them all the time and expanded it to cycling tours of the UK and then across Europe with them - lovely times. Best trip I ever did cycling was to Turin (just me and wife then) in the year 2000, followed the great rivers through France and up and over the Alps, it was magical and didn't do any planning just slowly wandered along day by day for 6 long weeks.
Took up walking as it suits my idea of a holiday even more as you don't need any real organising or equipment and you get to places of great beauty and solitude, I just throw together a pack, choose a place and follow my nose. The Camino fits my temperament well as it has some beautiful places, really easy to organise, good weather and lovely people - I just book the flight out and pack a small bag (that's it, don't even bother booking the return flight :) ).

€46,-
Some people have more items that can't be left at home i.e. meds or special shoes or what ever. Not sure that is baggage. However I am more concerned about lists. I know that there are specific things that need to be taken and each thing needs to be weighed and considered. I'm not quite that blond...lol. I am thinking more along the lines of what is too heavy for a sleeping bag for example. Is it really necessary to get the lightest weight bag in the market and spend a tonne more than getting something say 10oz heavier, save some money and still be ok with carrying it. I am aware of what the rule of thumb is and I am aware of what I will need but does it make so much of a difference? I suppose it doesn't I maybe should look at lists of what people carry. My walk if I decide to go is a while away. Sometimes it is good to have something as a reference. I have a hard time getting a solid out of people here. I am a list person. When I shop I have lists. I may not find what I need the day I go but if I have my list perhaps another day I will see something that I need at a good price and then think...oh ya thats on my list...I should consider buying that while I see it on sale or while I am thinking about it. Maybe someone just needs to point me to a thread that someone has typed a list. Because I have other things I can't leave behind ...as I said meds which I have to take...I am trying to adjust for that. I really don't want to have to send my things on for various reasons. Yeah so I guess I just need a list...and approximate weights that I should be looking at for said items.
And I think totally backwards from the idea that start with 4 lbs then add. I have specifics as I mentioned that I need to carry. I am more the type of person that says ...ok I need to carry 15 to 17 lbs...get fit enough to do it.

Patti,
As a neighbour of yours (Calgary) and a long-time mountain backpacker, I can say that gear selection is a very personal thing. The first item that I ever bought for backpacking (in Edmonton, about 42 years ago) was a pair of heavy Italian mountain boots, which I was at pains to break in over a number of months and wore for many years (20 or so). I have moved on in choice of gear over the past 42 years, but several things remain. My footwear, in my case boots, comes first - carefully chosen and worn in. Pack and sleeping bag are both important. I bought a new sleeping bag for the Camino. It is not down, so not really ultra-light. But I am allergic to down. I have two down bags which I use on trips to the mountains of two weeks or less- all that I can carry supplies for. But they do affect my breathing, so a 980 g artificial fill bag will do for the camino and cost about $100. For a pack, I bought a 40l Gregory Z40 on sale from Mountain Equipment C00p. It is the right size for me and weighs 1.3 k. I generally also consider price, as my budget is limited, and I do not shop online by preference, as that can get complicated, especially with imports or return policy. Why not play around at MEC? The boots that I bought last summer were too big and I lost two toenails on a hike before I returned them to MEC for a complete refund. Choose what you feel you need and try it out, changing as needed. It can be lots of fun. By the way, I have been trying to get my mountain backpacking gear and clothing down to about 20 k., but with food for 10 days or more it is still a challenge. Camino packing is much easier.

Patti,
As a neighbour of yours (Calgary) and a long-time mountain backpacker, I can say that gear selection is a very personal thing. The first item that I ever bought for backpacking (in Edmonton, about 42 years ago) was a pair of heavy Italian mountain boots, which I was at pains to break in over a number of months and wore for many years (20 or so). I have moved on in choice of gear over the past 42 years, but several things remain. My footwear, in my case boots, comes first - carefully chosen and worn in. Pack and sleeping bag are both important. I bought a new sleeping bag for the Camino. It is not down, so not really ultra-light. But I am allergic to down. I have two down bags which I use on trips to the mountains of two weeks or less- all that I can carry supplies for. But they do affect my breathing, so a 980 g artificial fill bag will do for the camino and cost about $100. For a pack, I bought a 40l Gregory Z40 on sale from Mountain Equipment C00p. It is the right size for me and weighs 1.3 k. I generally also consider price, as my budget is limited, and I do not shop online by preference, as that can get complicated, especially with imports or return policy. Why not play around at MEC? The boots that I bought last summer were too big and I lost two toenails on a hike before I returned them to MEC for a complete refund. Choose what you feel you need and try it out, changing as needed. It can be lots of fun. By the way, I have been trying to get my mountain backpacking gear and clothing down to about 20 k., but with food for 10 days or more it is still a challenge. Camino packing is much easier.
Thank you so much that was very helpful. It's really nice to have a neighbour! If you don't mind I would like to call on you for help from time to time... Again great reply and thanks!

Thank you so much that was very helpful. It's really nice to have a neighbour! If you don't mind I would like to call on you for help from time to time... Again great reply and thanks!

You're most welcome. Send me a private message if you like. I am on the forum most days.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Hi @Melensdad,

How does one dehydrate liquid soap and toothpaste? Just by using an ordinary food dehydrator? I have a food dehydrator. I have not used it for a while and I hope it still works. I am very interested in this because we've been trying out shampoo/conditioner and soap bars... I'm OK with it but my wife is not happy. If these things can easily be dehydrated, then this might be the easier solution.

Anyway - so assuming an ordinary food dehydrator can be used, how does one go about doing this? I remember my food dehydrator can not hold liquid, so I assume we need to put the liquid in some container such that it is spread thin. So the question is: what container is safe to use? Also, how long does it take to dehydrate the typical shampoo and conditioner? We have about a month before we fly to Paris, and I just want to know what is the realistic volume I can expect to dehydrate.

Thanks in advance.

If you have the sheets for the trays of your dehydrator that are used to make fruit leathers, just squirt out dollops of toothpaste and dry. Use the same sheets for liquid soap. NOT at the same time.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.