• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

back pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zita

Time of past OR future Camino
future Oct 2017
Not sure if anyone has experienced this or not. I am travelling from Canada and will only be bring a back pack which I will use as my carry on. My walking poles do not close down small enough to fit in my back pack so I will either have to attach them to the side of have them pop out of the back pack... will this go through customs ?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not sure if anyone has experienced this or not. I am travelling from Canada and will only be bring a back pack which I will use as my carry on. My walking poles do not close down small enough to fit in my back pack so I will either have to attach them to the side of have them pop out of the back pack... will this go through customs ?
The primary concern is your airport security screening. Most airports will not allow trekking poles to be carried on board an aircraft. They will require them to be checked luggage. This applies regardless of the poles ability to be collapsed or not.

Yes they will, in the hold not a problem, in the cabin most probably. Montreal allows them on planes. Ask the airport you are flying out of. It's the security people that work for all the airlines, the ones than scan you and tour carry ons that call the shot. Once you pass through them, items are yours to keep on board.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Nobody can tell you this except your airlines.
Check with them.
Generally, from the USA, you CAN carry them on.
However, we have had poles confiscated going BACK home from Santiago and Madrid.
I usually pack mine up in a postal tube and check them.

Nobody can tell you this except your airlines.
That is not correct. The regulations about carriage of poles on aircraft are made by the national air safety regulators, not by the airlines. They are banned as cabin baggage around the world in the national legislation or regulations of the US, EU, Canada, Australia, etc, etc, etc, so you are breaking the law to carry them on as cabin baggage. However, this seems to be a bit like speeding or taking small amounts of illegal recreational drugs, and some forum members have a cavalier attitude to compliance - if you don't get caught, don't worry.

So by all means, join the scofflaws and attempt to carry them on as cabin baggage. The evidence here is that this will work from most places in the US. If you leave from Santiago airport, the security staff have a reputation for requiring strict compliance with the regulations, and won't let them on as cabin baggage.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I use Pacer Poles that have wider hand grips, so won't fit in a pack or a shipping tube. I just wrapped them in bubble wrap and put them in a cheap yoga pad duffle bag. And threw in my favorite Swiss Army knife (with scissors and wine bottle opener), which I also couldn't carry on board. It's fairly rare to lose checked luggage and it wasn't a huge hassle to send them or bring them home this way.

That is not correct. The regulations about carriage of poles on aircraft are made by the national air safety regulators, not by the airlines. They are banned as cabin baggage around the world in the national legislation or regulations of the US, EU, Canada, Australia, etc, etc, etc, so you are breaking the law to carry them on as cabin baggage. However, this seems to be a bit like speeding or taking small amounts of illegal recreational drugs, and some forum members have a cavalier attitude to compliance - if you don't get caught, don't worry.

So by all means, join the scofflaws and attempt to carry them on as cabin baggage. The evidence here is that this will work from most places in the US. If you leave from Santiago airport, the security staff have a reputation for requiring strict compliance with the regulations, and won't let them on as cabin baggage.

Well, whatever.
What I do know is that some airlines allow them on and others do not, by my own experience.
So personally, I'd ask the airlines what their policy is.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Also, remember that if you must check your poles, you can/should put them in a separate disposable container or package, and still carry on your backpack. That way, if your checked bag (only the poles) gets lost or delayed, you are not in such a predicament.
I, too, am having the same problem. I'm considering not taking poles at all, since my camino is short, from Sarria to Santiago. This is my first camino, so I'm not sure - Are poles that helpful to your walk?

I, too, am having the same problem. I'm considering not taking poles at all, since my camino is short, from Sarria to Santiago. This is my first camino, so I'm not sure - Are poles that helpful to your walk?
They are helpful, and they are available all along the camino (not sure about Sarria, sorry). We brought one set from US checked in a mailing tube inside a duffle bag and bought another on the camino (Leon). If you are picky about the kind you want, I would shop at REI or the equivalent before leaving. I would be lost without mine, specially on he downhill bits (knee issues) but I've seen plenty of pilgrims without them.

As others have suggested, it's probably best to pack them in a shipping tube and check them, otherwise leave them home and buy a cheap pair when you get to your starting point. Those can be left in the donation bin at your final albergue when you complete your Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I use Pacer Poles that have wider hand grips, so won't fit in a pack or a shipping tube. I just wrapped them in bubble wrap and put them in a cheap yoga pad duffle bag. And threw in my favorite Swiss Army knife (with scissors and wine bottle opener), which I also couldn't carry on board. It's fairly rare to lose checked luggage and it wasn't a huge hassle to send them or bring them home this way.
I agree with this 100%. I'd even take it further by saying I always check my bags (and poles if I'm going trekking somewhere) and only take off my back pack lid with my camera, passport and such for a carry-on. In 15 years of work travel I've only had my bag not show up 1 time (it did arrive later that day on the next flight). I use a lockable airporter bag which helps with outside of the pack items like poles but am ready to upgrade to the Z Poles so they fit in the pack too. Why go through the hassle of fighting for overhead storage space with everyone else who is trying to jam all their suitcases up there? :confused:

Doug,

1) The Peregrino is from Canada and I am also from Canada

2) I used trekking poles with rubber tips, kind of like the bottom of a running shoe with heavy treads.

3) I was always asked if I needed them to walk.

4) I always answered yes, or Oui, or Si, and I was allowed on 5 planes last Summer and was always permitted to use them to board and deplane.

However, they did have an issue with my tent pegs. They were metal and had a chamfer on the tip, though blunted. So, I have since changed them out for plastic pegs with rounded tips.

Easy peasy.

Doug,

1) The Peregrino is from Canada and I am also from Canada

2) I used trekking poles with rubber tips, kind of like the bottom of a running shoe with heavy treads.

3) I was always asked if I needed them to walk.

4) I always answered yes, or Oui, or Si, and I was allowed on 5 planes last Summer and was always permitted to use them to board and deplane.

However, they did have an issue with my tent pegs. They were metal and had a chamfer on the tip, though blunted. So, I have since changed them out for plastic pegs with rounded tips.

Easy peasy.
So you are claiming your poles are an essential medical aid needed to walk down the aisle of the plane when you are on your way to undertake your pilgrimage? I don't think I would want to start my pilgrimage with a lie, but if you think that's okay ...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So you are claiming your poles are an essential medical aid needed to walk down the aisle of the plane when you are on your way to undertake your pilgrimage? I don't think I would want to start my pilgrimage with a lie, but if you think that's okay ...

Doug,

Please do not lie, ever. I believe your parents did a good job in that area.

"Do I need the poles to get from the cab to the plane?" That was all TSA asked of me.

At the time, I was 243 lb and yes, I did need them to walk, everywhere, especially with the added weight of the backpack. But specifically on the plane, the seat backs are the best walking aid up and down the aisles, once boarded. No lies were told or inferred. I needed them even more when I blew out the IT band on my left leg 3 days into the Camino and 7 km from Zubiri. This occurred due to the 18 - 20 lb on my back as well as the 80 lb that I should have lost before going on the trip. Back then, I was not educated on a few weight management issues but now I am learning and losing every day. This is also a benefit from walking the Camino, better health and enjoyment of life.

No I doubt it ! I travelled from Canada in May of this year and attempted to take poles on board in a sealed separate cardboard poster tube and they were turned back going through security. This wasn't a problem as they just went into the hold. So I think a good way is to handle things is to take pack on board going and check in poles in a sealed cardboard poster tube, throw away tube on arrival and send everything back in hold on leaving Santiago. I use the service to wrap everything pack and poles together at Santiago airport. It is inexpensive and protects both pack and poles. Good luck.

I would not like to start my pilgrimage thinking the worst about others...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree with this 100%. I'd even take it further by saying I always check my bags (and poles if I'm going trekking somewhere) and only take off my back pack lid with my camera, passport and such for a carry-on. In 15 years of work travel I've only had my bag not show up 1 time (it did arrive later that day on the next flight). I use a lockable airporter bag which helps with outside of the pack items like poles but am ready to upgrade to the Z Poles so they fit in the pack too. Why go through the hassle of fighting for overhead storage space with everyone else who is trying to jam all their suitcases up there? :confused:

Well, one reason is to not have happen what happened to me. My pack, with all my equipment plus first week's food supplies, for a thru-hike of the Colorado Trail, never arrived in Denver from my flight from East Wenatchee, WA. Having scheduled to depart the next day, I was delayed by two days while replacement gear and supplies were gathered; an unexpected expense of over $700.00, with some of the replacements not being of the same lightness and quality of those that were stolen/lost. Previous to that, I've had things stolen out of my checked bags on several occasions (camera gear, IPad tablet, shaving kit with medications inside)... and yes, the bags were locked with TSA approved locks.

My backpacking gear will never fly as checked baggage again. :)

Doug,

Please do not lie, ever. I believe your parents did a good job in that area.

"Do I need the poles to get from the cab to the plane?" That was all TSA asked of me.

At the time, I was 243 lb and yes, I did need them to walk, everywhere, especially with the added weight of the backpack. But specifically on the plane, the seat backs are the best walking aid up and down the aisles, once boarded. No lies were told or inferred. I needed them even more when I blew out the IT band on my left leg 3 days into the Camino and 7 km from Zubiri. This occurred due to the 18 - 20 lb on my back as well as the 80 lb that I should have lost before going on the trip. Back then, I was not educated on a few weight management issues but now I am learning and losing every day. This is also a benefit from walking the Camino, better health and enjoyment of life.
I am not sure that I understand now what you intended with your earlier post. In the circumstances where you didn't suggest that there was a genuine medical reason to be using the poles, it is reasonable to infer that, at least for Canadians, you are suggesting the use of this as a gambit to get past the security checkpoint and take the poles into the cabin. Are you now saying that this was not the intent of your first post?

As I inferred earlier, I wouldn't use this as a gambit, and I would be concerned that anyone would recommend it as one. Which, without the information you supplied in your later post, is what you appear to have done.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
At @Kanga (the sage)'s suggestion, we bought the cheapest largest $2 shop zipped carry bags with handles and put our stuff/packs in them and checked them in, taking the front packs of the Aarn packs on as hand luggage with our few essentials required on the long flights from Sydney to Madrid. If I used a different pack without front packs, I would be a' plastic bag pilgrim' and take hand luggage requirements on board in a cheap smaller plastic bag. My Pacer poles did just fit in the pack but this way if your poles didn't fit, you could just attached them to the pack and throw it all in the cheap carry bags. Our 'luggage' was so easy to spot on the carravelle, and although the original plan was to bin these bags, we found people eager to re-purpose them at the airports both ways. There was obviously something enticing about two senior pilgrims wearing back packs, waving huge bags above our heads spruiking them in 'Aussie' language! "G'day mate! Wanna freebie bag? Used once by lady owner, log books kept - free to good home!!!"

There is a nice little sporting goods store in Sarria. You can probably buy trekking poles there. But you can for SURE buy one of the very nice handmade walking poles for under €8 - a nice memento when you return home.

I have known at least 3 people whose checked bags did not make it to Spain.
I carry on my pack. I tube up and check my pacer poles and knife.
I prefer not to have to re-gear when I arrive and I guess I just like playing it safe.
If my pack is too big to carry on... it's too big, imo.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Personally I wouldn't bother about poles from Saria to Santiago. I never used mine on that leg at all. The stages are reasonable and the walking is undulating but not difficult. The bits that aren't easy are through what I have now learned to call eucalypt forest (intead of gum tree plantation) where chances are, if necessary, you will find fallen branches to use as walking poles.

The thing about walking poles is that they can be 'all things to all people', or none.
If you are a new walker and don't use poles, I wouldn't start just for the Sarria to SDC walk.
I was a non-poles user in much of my training for my first Camino, then took advice from EVERYWHERE and finally bought my Pacer Poles because I was going to do (planned) 500km on the Via de la Plata, Sanabres route which is variable in terrain, surfaces, long and mountainous in parts, so I learned to use them.
I am a complete convert, as the way I use them, it gives my upper body a complete workout ( mostly hauling myself up hills and preventing knee and other damage and falling, down hills) I am home now ( see latest post on Pacer poles as crutches) and use them most of the time on my continuing walking adventures.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The thing about walking poles is that they can be 'all things to all people', or none.
If you are a new walker and don't use poles, I wouldn't start just for the Sarria to SDC walk.

I am thinking of the steep, often muddy trail descending to the bridge crossing the lake to Portomarin. I was very happy to have my poles for that section. I found them useful in all kinds of terrain.

Hi Zita,

How about flying without poles and finding something in Europe? If you are leaving from SJPP, there is a great shop in the old city that is open nearly all the time and can provide many options.

At the end, they can be packed and checccked in or whatever you wish.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I wrapped mine in bubble wrap and put them outside my pack. There was no questions asked. On the way home we did shopping in Santiago and boxed everything including our poles and checked them through.

I am going to lock this thread. It seems we cannot have a helpful discussion about hiking poles going on the plane without insults and inaccurate blanket assertions about what the rules and laws actually say. For newcomers this is a legitimate question, so I don't think we are ready to add hiking poles to the list of banned topics like bullfights, religion, and politics, but we're almost there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back