• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back Problems on the Camino

Walking To Listen

Time of past OR future Camino
September 10, 2013
Greetings Pilgrims! I will be walking the Camino Frances starting 9-12-13 and would like some advice regarding pilgrims who have walked that had back problems. I have two herniated disc (L4-L5) that are manageable, but do flare up from time to time. I have been training with 10% - 15% of my body weight in my backpack, however it still seems uncomfortable. Does anyone have any tips or techniques that I could implement while on the Camino?

Thanks!
Walking To Listen

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Falcon, as usual, is absolutely correct! You spenst so much time preparing for this, so much money to get to Spain, don't ruin it with experiments, let the transport company carry your backpack while you walk with a water bottle and an apple. Don't tempt fate lest it rise up and bite you in the sitting down place.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi -- If the pack is positioned correctly it shouldn't put any weight on your back. All should go directly onto your hips. I too have disc problems, back problems, sciatica and other things, but when I walk it disappears! I would just check to make sure that your pack is fitting properly.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to have your luggage transported for you, but presumably you will be carrying something for the day's supplies. In my experience, even a day pack or a fanny pack of just a couple of pounds (neither of which has any internal frame or support to put the weight on your hips) are both sources of tremendous back pain, so you may actually make things worse if you carry one of those things.

Good luck with figuring this out! Laurie

I also have lower back problems and find that my day back pack when positioned correctly on my hips actually is no problem at all. AND, my back rarely hurts me when I hike. It does when I stand too long or sit too long however. Laurie hit some pertinent points to consider....

Ed

With all our back problems, if we get together we could come up with one good back.....smile and ask for help you will not be short of willing helpers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have back problems myself, but if the backpack is packed correctly I have no problems carrying it. But be aware of soft beds / mattresses, far more dangerous, at least for me, as a fully packed backpack, SY

Anti-inflammatory.
A tablet every morning since 1979.
Currently a 50g Diclofenac every morning with a big glass of water and some breakfast a 1/2 hr before heading out on the trail.
I'm herniated L3-L4-L5 and I tote my pack 7kgs no problem. (Two tin hips probly help)
Sometimes a little tender at the end of the day - I'll take another tab.
Ensures a good nights sleep.
I never get over how lucky I have been to have these marvels of science to help me enjoy life.

Buenos Dias Falcon! Just curious; how much would baggage service cost for the Camino Frances. Can you estimate? Thanks
Hi -- If the pack is positioned correctly it shouldn't put any weight on your back. All should go directly onto your hips. I too have disc problems, back problems, sciatica and other things, but when I walk it disappears! I would just check to make sure that your pack is fitting properly.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to have your luggage transported for you, but presumably you will be carrying something for the day's supplies. In my experience, even a day pack or a fanny pack of just a couple of pounds (neither of which has any internal frame or support to put the weight on your hips) are both sources of tremendous back pain, so you may actually make things worse if you carry one of those things.

Good luck with figuring this out! Laurie

Thanks Laurie for the tips and much appreciated! Its comforting to know that pilgrims with back problems are finding ways to prevail..Walking To Listen!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have back problems myself, but if the backpack is packed correctly I have no problems carrying it. But be aware of soft beds / mattresses, far more dangerous, at least for me, as a fully packed backpack, SY

Thanks SYates for the tip on soft mattresses, etc. Walking To Listen

Anti-inflammatory.
A tablet every morning since 1979.
Currently a 50g Diclofenac every morning with a big glass of water and some breakfast a 1/2 hr before heading out on the trail.
I'm herniated L3-L4-L5 and I tote my pack 7kgs no problem. (Two tin hips probly help)
Sometimes a little tender at the end of the day - I'll take another tab.
Ensures a good nights sleep.
I never get over how lucky I have been to have these marvels of science to help me enjoy life.

Thanks Pilgrim! Question? Do you take the 50g Diclofenac daily or just while you are carrying your pack. Did you complete the Camino with your back problems? Thanks again for your tips and encouraging feedback. Walking To Listen

With all our back problems, if we get together we could come up with one good back.....smile and ask for help you will not be short of willing helpers.

Thanks Trevorcc! Asking for help did occur to me, LOL..just trying to be self sufficient. Thanks for reminding me that there is loving and kindness on the Camino! Walking To Listen!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Falcon, as usual, is absolutely correct! You spenst so much time preparing for this, so much money to get to Spain, don't ruin it with experiments, let the transport company carry your backpack while you walk with a water bottle and an apple. Don't tempt fate lest it rise up and bite you in the sitting down place.

Thanks Scruffy!!

Thanks Pilgrim! Question? Do you take the 50g Diclofenac daily or just while you are carrying your pack. Did you complete the Camino with your back problems? Thanks again for your tips and encouraging feedback. Walking To Listen
Every morning without fail. In that regard it is a precautionary measure.
I am damaged by moving about, not only by walking, and its continuing healing process helps keeps me supple and pain free.
After this many years I know how to lift and to wear my pack correctly.I did SJPDP to SDC no problem.
As many others report a well fitting pack becomes part of your body, a friend, you don't even feel the weight, you miss it when it isn't there.

Last edited:
Jacotrans was 7€ per bag in jun/jul of this year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.