• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back to basics on the forum

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hola all!

First of all, thank you for hanging around the forum during the last year. It has been difficult, but we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now I think.

I have been thinking about making some slight changes to the forum rules and the way we do things on the forum, so this is the reason for this thread. I have talked this over with the moderators, and we have called these new measures the "Back to basics" measures. The general idea is that, the forum was created for pilgrims to help pilgrims. Less of other types of content, and more of just getting some good advice on how to prepare and walk the Camino.

Here are the new measures:
  • Over the last year, we have allowed a lot of COVID topics since they have been relevant as pilgrims plan their walk in 2021 or 2022. As time goes on, and COVID becomes less of a factor, we will only allow COVID topics if they are relevant to the Camino. In the meantime, please keep all COVID discussion in the "COVID & the Camino" section.
  • Members are allowed to include a simple link to their blog, social media account or commercial website in their forum signature.
  • YouTube videos, Podcasts and other similar links focusing on external content related to the Camino need to be posted in a new section that I have created here. All users can post in this section, but it will have limited visibility since we are trying to focus on our goal, "Pilgrims helping pilgrims". If you are discussing something in another thread, and your video is truly relevant to the topic discussed in the thread, you can embed a link to your thread that is in the "Videos, Podcasts, and Other" section. (However, remember that "bumping" is not allowed.)
The idea behind these measures is to make this a good place for new pilgrims to ask questions and get help (the reason for this forum) and not so much for products/companies to promote their services/products. For those who are interested in promoting their services or products, ads can be bought on the forum here.

All the best from Santiago,
Ivar

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Than you @ivar (and moderators) for keeping the forum going. Pilgrims helping present and future pilgrims will be so good as things open again. Maybe us 'old timers' will still have something to offer :) .

Thank you @ivar and all moderators for keeping this such a great and constructive forum.

All your new measures make perfect sense.

And may I promote the use of private messaging in general. Sometimes I feel that some subjects are merely a two or three way communication that are better dealt with in a pm ( but hey this might just be me ).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you, Ivar. Simple is best, and pruning less relevant content will make it easier for people to find and access what they need.

And may I promote the use of private messaging in general. Sometimes I feel that some subjects are merely a two or three way communication that are better dealt with in a pm ( but hey this might just be me ).
Exactly!

Thank you Ivar for all your efforts. "Back to Basics" is a great motto/strategy.

One of the strengths of the Forum has been the importance of sharing. Tips and memories from/to scores of other readers, both known and unknown, pass through this community of digital acquaintances.

For those of us who have walked it is a meaningful way to keep our journey anew while providing practical advice to those who plan to walk....Ultreia.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Although I haven't yet walked a Camino (very new member), this forum has been invaluable. Thank you all very much.
I agree...I am not a new member, but I too am continually amazed and grateful by the breath of information and inspiration I receive from this forum! Indeed, it is a tribute to Ivar, the moderators, and all those members who share their experiences and wisdom .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As we pilgrims begin to walk the Way again, especially within the next five months, it's important to share "real time" information to those following you. The FAQ area should be reviewed and updated, where appropriate. Key threads to update: Transportation to and from (air, train, bus, taxi, etc), Albergues Open/Closed, private albergues, hostels, etc. "Must see/visit." This includes: Restaurants, museums, churches, etc. Any regional/town restrictions currently in force.
The Forum has thousands of pieces of information. Now we need to insure it's the most up to date and accurate.

As we pilgrims begin to walk the Way again, especially within the next five months, it's important to share "real time" information to those following you. The FAQ area should be reviewed and updated, where appropriate. Key threads to update: Transportation to and from (air, train, bus, taxi, etc), Albergues Open/Closed, private albergues, hostels, etc. "Must see/visit." This includes: Restaurants, museums, churches, etc. Any regional/town restrictions currently in force.
The Forum has thousands of pieces of information. Now we need to insure it's the most up to date and accurate.

I think this will happen. Reading some posts from albergue owners over these months ,they are still waiting and trying to find their way...just as we are. It will come.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola all!

First of all, thank you for hanging around the forum during the last year. It has been difficult, but we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now I think.

I have been thinking about making some slight changes to the forum rules and the way we do things on the forum, so this is the reason for this thread. I have talked this over with the moderators, and we have called these new measures the "Back to basics" measures. The general idea is that, the forum was created for pilgrims to help pilgrims. Less of other types of content, and more of just getting some good advice on how to prepare and walk the Camino.

• Over the last year, we have allowed a lot of COVID topics since they have been relevant as pilgrims plan their walk in 2021 or 2022. As time goes on, and COVID becomes less of a factor, we will only allow COVID topics if they are relevant to the Camino. In the meantime, please keep all COVID discussion in the "COVID & the Camino" section.
  • Members are allowed to include a simple link to their blog, social media account or commercial website in their forum signature.
  • YouTube videos, Podcasts and other similar links focusing on external content related to the Camino need to be posted in a new section that I have created here. All users can post in this section, but it will have limited visibility since we are trying to focus on our goal, "Pilgrims helping pilgrims". If you are discussing something in another thread, and your video is truly relevant to the topic discussed in the thread, you can embed a link to your thread that is in the "Videos, Podcasts, and Other" section. (However, remember that "bumping" is not allowed.)
The idea behind these measures is to make this a good place for new pilgrims to ask questions and get help (the reason for this forum) and not so much for products/companies to promote their services/products. For those who are interested in promoting their services or products, ads can be bought on the forum here.

Ivar
Thank you Ivar and our moderators! I am pleased with this Back to Basics and the Covid related post change. Perhaps a “Beginners or First Camino” section could be set up to guide newbies directly to the basics re: footwear, backpacks, etc. The Forum has kept me sane & daring to dream of the Camino through my first Canadian winter in many years confined to my tiny “summer only” (that WAS the intention 🤔) Ottawa apartment & my local city parks and paths. Signed, 🤦‍♀️still in lockdown and waiting

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola all!

Ivar
BZ Ivar - military-speak for well done.
Can we now have a heated discussion about bringing walking poles on aircraft et al ??? Cooee

Hola all!

Ivar
Thank you, Ivar, for all your efforts and good work. The forum was an invaluable source as I prepared for my Camino In 2019. I am hoping to return sooner rather than later. Until then I will read the Forum to feed my longing for this long and winding road. Again, thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
YouTube videos, Podcasts and other similar links focusing on external content related to the Camino need to be posted in a new section that I have created here
Hi Ivar thanks for keeping us notified. I have a question about the above, I come across and redirect YouTube videos regularly to the sub forum for the Camino Geira, one of the reasons I do this is because there is so little first hand knowledge and experience out there for this route for us to be able to answer any questions. I hope that any possible walkers or merely curious about this relatively new route can build up a picture of what it might be like and this will help them in their choices. Will this still be able to happen or would posts go to the new above link?

Last edited:
Hi Ivar thanks for keeping us notified. I have a question about the above, I come across and redirect YouTube videos regularly to the sub forum for the Camino Geira, one of the reasons I do this is because there is so little first hand knowledge and experience out there this route for us to be able to answer any questions. I hope that any possible walkers or merely curious about this relatively new route can build up a picture of what it might be like and help them in their choices. Will this still be able to happen or would posts go to the new above link?
Good question. My understanding is that some judgement will be applied, and the situation you describe sounds like good value in the route forum/sub-forum. It is especially helpful if you give a sentence of two of explanation of the context and why the link is relevant to that thread, so the reader can decide if they want to go off-forum to read it.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sounds fair enough to me. It can be hard sometimes to navigate your way to what you want at first. Over the last year I think the forum has satisfied a need to feel in touch with a camino we can't walk as well as pilgrims we can't meet, so at times we have been maybe a bit more discursive than we might have been (by 'we', I think I mean 'I'). But you (Ivar, administrators and moderators) are all doing a great job and thank you very, very much for doing it.

Thank you Ivar and the mods for keeping things going it is worth saying the camino
is still attracting new pilgrims. Who are asking all the right questions and we can point them to the forum Pilgrimage is very much alive in the Uk and so is the Camino six friends of mine want to come next year and we all know once it becomes a desire it has no known cure they have already started the Camino
Buen Camino

Hola all!

Ivar
A good call, I'm sure these measures will make for a smoother platform for all those who come here. Thank you to all of Team Ivar and all the supportive and knowledgeable people who contribute to the content on the site, long may it continue.
Mark "itching to get back" Donovan

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Although I haven't yet walked a Camino (very new member), this forum has been invaluable. Thank you all very much.
The freedom you will enjoy whilst walking at your pace is something to cherish after the last year.
Good luck with the planning , and don’t do tooooo much of that .

Hola all!

Ivar
Thank you Ivar for all your work in maintaining this important tool. -Gigi

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And, in fact Camino Frances with turned into a hyperlink in my post without me actually linking it to anything.
I have been playing with this feature of the forum software. What do we think? is it annoying?

My thinking was that new pilgrims would be taken to the correct section if they have more questions + with google it would help the forum get a higher ranking for that search.

The negative is of course that it "tampers" with users posts.. I have no problem removing it if people find this annoying. [added later: I just removed it]

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.