• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back to front Camino

amykate

In April 2013 i fulfilled my dream of many years by walking from Leon to Santiago. like most people I cannot explain why is was/is my dream (walking in torrential rain does not normally feature highly on my to do list) but i now need to walk the first 300 miles. Today, i broke the news to my husband that I need to go back and he was supportive of this, yippee, yippee!! I have 2 weeks (late march/early April 2014) to walk some of the first 300 miles, i would really like to start in St Jean. I will be flying from the UK, can you tell me what the best way to get to St Jean is and if you think it will be possible to book accommodation near to departure date ( I wont be able to be definite about start date due to an open ended work commitment). I will now be starting 2014 with the biggest smile on my face and the knowledge that all the trials and tribulations can be borne knowing that a little bit of heaven will be mine in the spring time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi amykate,

What a great way to start the new year of knowing you will be soon walking.

Here is a link for a place to stay which is popular with many walkers in SJPdP. There are many other options as well:

http://www.espritduchemin.org/en

Reservation are taken starting in mid-February. I would suggest you make the reservation as soon as that window opens. I stayed twice and loved both times. A good way to start the Camino.

I flew from Stansted to Biarritz quiet easily, STN-BIQ, I think on Ryan Air. From BIQ, you can take a 20 minutes bus ride to Bayonne train station. Bus can be found right outside airport. Bus maybe 1.5 euro and train around 10 euro. A beautiful train ride for about 1.5 hours. There are other options as well such as taxi, shared rides via transport vans.

Happy new year,
Simeon

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Amy:

The above replies to your post all contain very useful information and the posters are all well experienced, long-time forum members. Save them, they are valuable.

However, one additional factor to be aware of as you plan your dates, is that St. Jean Pied de Port is in the foot-hills of the Pyrenees Mountains. You will be walking through a mountain pass on the Route Napoleon to climb over the Pyrenees into Spain.

In March and throughout all of April it is not uncommon for the Route Napoleon to be closed by the local authorities due to snow, ice, or poor visibility (fog). People have injured themselves - and worse - over the years by attempting to slog through snow, ice and fog.

There is an alternative Route Valcarlos, that sort of goes around the highest peaks but follows a road. Most folks prefer the over-mountain Route Napoleon (I do). But some prefer the less steep Route Valcarlos. ("Non potest esse de rebus dissensio gustus.");)

My point is that, the earlier in the season you go, the more likely you are to be told at the Pilgrim Office at St.Jean that the Route Napoleon is "closed tomorrow," or for "x" days. There have even been posts here and in blogs about people having to take a bus or taxi around the mountains to Roncesvalles to avoid the bad weather off the road when BOTH Routes Napoleon and Valcarlos are closed. It does happen occasionally.

I like to start in the last week of April, after Easter. Many "holiday travelers" will start on the long Easter weekend to leverage the additional "free" days off. But, after the first several days, traffic thins out along the way. So, I give the main peloton a "head start" and trail after them. Hence, I hope to arrive at St. Jean on the Friday after Easter, and start walking on the Sunday after Easter.

Last year I started on 24 April, and there was still ankle-deep snow in parts of the Route Napoleon on the Spanish side of the border, but not enough to be a hazard. The sun was warm and the views were INCREDIBLE! This year as Easter comes later, I plan to start on Sunday 27 April. But I must still contend with the possibility of late season snow.

On the other hand, on 16 May last year, at Cruz de Ferro, I was over three weeks into my walk and well along the Camino Frances. At the cross, there was about 3 inches (@ 8 cm) of wet snow at the peak / cross and it was snowing steadily. However, one day before, and the following day it was dry and sunny...go figure!:eek:

Also, in this regard, many albergues do not open for the season before 01 April. Some of the major places like the large Dutch confraternity run former seminario at Roncesvalles are open year-round. However, some of the smaller and private albergues may not open until 01 April. You need to check ahead. It is not a good time of year to be forced to sleep rough.

I hope this helps.

amykate, your post put a giant smile on my face. Thank you for sharing your excitement and enthusiasm!

The gite that Simeon recommend, Gite L'Esprit du Chemin, will accept reservations for two nights. You can book your two most likely dates, then cancel one later, once you know your exact travel dates. Other gites will accept bookings for multiple nights, as well. One of my favorites is
Le Chemin vers Etoile. The owner, Eric, speaks fluent English and is an excellent host. It's located on the same street at L'Esprit, at the bottom of the hill on the way out of town towards Spain. Here is the website: http://www.pelerinage-saint-jacques-compostelle.com/en/gite

Enjoy the planning!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back