• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back to that buying a house for a refugio thing

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi all .. hunkering down, as we are, for the winter (unless you live on the upside down bit of the planet) ... thought you might like to look at this house right on the Camino, next to the hotel on the left as you walk out, in Rabanal del Camino ..

five bedrooms, large garden, mountain views .... just 97,000 Euros .. and as it has been reduced by 27,000 they are eager to sell so a lower offer could work - three of you, sharing the cost????
(you know it makes sense!)

http://www.fotocasa.es/en/home/sant...i=140&tti=1&pagination=1&RowGrid=1&tta=0&tp=0

;);):)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
right on the Camino, next to the hotel on the left as you walk out

Nah, it’s on the wrong side of town.

One year I stayed in El Ganso and walked to Rabanal for breakfast. The first café was packed with pilgrims (surprise, surprise). I walked on up, all the way through town, and had the best breakfast ever at Hostal el Refugio. But I was the only one there. It’s the same with albergues, pilgrims start filling the first ones they come to. Location, Location, Location.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The best albergues are those that attract few pilgrims - out of town, wrong side of the road - the fewer the pilgrims around the table - the better the conversations ... SY

Yes, absolutely, so true. But they struggle to stay in business! Like Casa Magica in Villatuerta. The best albergue on the whole camino. It’s on the right side of town, but too far away. Everyone walks on to Estella . . .

I went in search for some more on Camino Frances and picked out those with more photos and price under 100.000€:

LA RIOJA

Azofra
(62k, way overpriced for the condition and lack of patio space)
http://www.fotocasa.es/en/home/azof...=140&tti=1&pagination=1&RowGrid=16&tta=2&tp=1

Cirueña
(42k, I think this one needs complete renovation, large garden at the back and good location in the center, already two albergues in the village)
http://www.fotocasa.es/en/home/ciru...i=140&tti=1&pagination=1&RowGrid=3&tta=2&tp=1

Sto.Domingo de la Calzada
(50k, not in the best condition I'd say)
http://www.fotocasa.es/en/home/sant...i=140&tti=1&pagination=1&RowGrid=5&tta=2&tp=1

BURGOS

Castildelgado
(89k, lots of space, small patio, charming attic and just one albergue J)
http://www.fotocasa.es/en/home/cast...=140&tti=1&pagination=1&RowGrid=20&tta=0&tp=1

Viloria de Rioja
(70k, I can see a nice albergue here, but already three of them in this small village)
http://www.fotocasa.es/en/home/vilo...i=140&tti=1&pagination=1&RowGrid=8&tta=0&tp=1
(same house for 65k and more photos)
http://www.fotocasa.es/en/home/vilo...=140&tti=1&pagination=1&RowGrid=13&tta=0&tp=1

Castrojeriz
(89k, definitely one of the nicest of them all hence the price, bunch of albergues though)
http://www.fotocasa.es/en/home/cast...=140&tti=1&pagination=1&RowGrid=10&tta=0&tp=0

PALENCIA

Revenga de Campos
(60k, needs reconstruction but would be nice albergue)
http://www.fotocasa.es/en/home/reve...i=140&tti=1&pagination=1&RowGrid=7&tta=0&tp=0

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And for a map that puts the antipodes in their proper place (well almost, for my NZ friends) see http://www.odtmaps.com/detail.asp?product_id=McA-23x35.

Ah, yes, you get this, from desperately envious people, well, subjects really, in isolated Imperial colonies .. sooner or later the heat gets to them (or the constant being upside down goes to their head) and they start to believe that they are at the centre ..... but they forget that they are under the rule of QE2 (not the ship) and have a governor imposed upon them whom they pay for and who has final say in things - so we smile. If you wish to work out which time zone you are in on this planet you need to start at the meridian, which goes through Greenwich in London, because we chose that. Our postage stamps are the only ones that do not have a country on them, because we invented them as well as international post - no one could navigate the world safely until we invented the chronometer and applied it to navigation - in fact the rest of the world literally did not exist until we discovered it (this might not be true) and when we discovered the completely useless huge red rock, so poor that it couldn't even afford mammals, that we eventually named Australia it was so appalling that we put all our criminals on it .. ... we made the maps so we are at the top and everyone in the Antipodes is standing upside down ..... fact ;)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For those of us who are retired it is relatively easy to get a visa to reside in Spain for 5 years, providing we can satisfy the Spanish authorities of our ability to support ourselves. After 5 years one can apply for an extension, or permanent residency.

they start to believe that they are at the centre

Sorry @David, not at the centre, at the top. And it is not a belief, it is a self demonstrating fact.

Not putting a country name on your stamps in 1840 and since was a cost saving design feature, allowing the name of your country to change back to England (as it certainly will) without having to overprint.

I fully agree with your comments on the red rock country, although most of your other stuff is questionable, in my view.

But don't let me stop you carrying on.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
LOVE the Castrojeriz house, reminds me of the Hospital del alma.

I remember in 2007, my first Camino, when it occured to me to "give back" by opening an albergue. Thank heavens I am too far away from retirement to have seriously considered it as with the turigrino attitude I see now on the Camino it would have broken my heart and angered me to have lovingly set up something that would not be appreciated.

Now, if we can think of a way of selecting "good walkers", and not based on €, it would give me hope again.

Anyone know if the cafe/bar that was announced for sale here a few months ago has been sold?

For those of us who are retired it is relatively easy to get a visa to reside in Spain for 5 years, providing we can satisfy the Spanish authorities of our ability to support ourselves. After 5 years one can apply for an extension, or permanent residency.
Can you point me to the rules Kanga? (better than googling!)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry @David, not at the centre, at the top. And it is not a belief, it is a self demonstrating fact.

Not putting a country name on your stamps in 1840 and since was a cost saving design feature, allowing the name of your country to change back to England (as it certainly will) without having to overprint.

I fully agree with your comments on the red rock country, although most of your other stuff is questionable, in my view.

Don't worry Alwyn, there a sufficient UK stamps over the years which include the words 'United Kingdom' in the design to prove that David is, once again, at his entertaining but incorrect best.

@Kiwi-family here are the instructions downloaded from the Spanish consulate in San Francisco - as I understand it they are similar for visas for Australians and New Zealanders - you do have to visit the consulate to make the application. The forms are available for downloading on the internet but are all in Spanish and it is quite difficult to work out which are the ones that are needed.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Good points - but, hang on, if you turn the world map upside down you also have to turn the solar system upside down and then the orbits would be reversed and time would run backwards ... wouldn't it? :):)

Good points - but, hang on, if you turn the world map upside down you also have to turn the solar system upside down and then the orbits would be reversed and time would run backwards ... wouldn't it? :):)
You must be right David. Turn the map upside down and the sun will rise in the west. Cool.
Could be a metaphor....

And for a map that puts the antipodes in their proper place (well almost, for my NZ friends) see http://www.odtmaps.com/detail.asp?product_id=McA-23x35.

Ah, yes, you get this, from desperately envious people, well, subjects really, in isolated Imperial colonies .. sooner or later the heat gets to them (or the constant being upside down goes to their head) and they start to believe that they are at the centre ..... but they forget that they are under the rule of QE2 (not the ship) and have a governor imposed upon them whom they pay for and who has final say in things - so we smile. If you wish to work out which time zone you are in on this planet you need to start at the meridian, which goes through Greenwich in London, because we chose that. Our postage stamps are the only ones that do not have a country on them, because we invented them as well as international post - no one could navigate the world safely until we invented the chronometer and applied it to navigation - in fact the rest of the world literally did not exist until we discovered it (this might not be true) and when we discovered the completely useless huge red rock, so poor that it couldn't even afford mammals, that we eventually named Australia it was so appalling that we put all our criminals on it .. ... we made the maps so we are at the top and everyone in the Antipodes is standing upside down ..... fact ;)
Naughty David, poking the hornets nest again...:) :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, absolutely, so true. But they struggle to stay in business! Like Casa Magica in Villatuerta. The best albergue on the whole camino. It’s on the right side of town, but too far away. Everyone walks on to Estella . . .
I LOVED Casa Magica!!! Had an award-winning leg massage there. Unforgettable.

IMHO La Casa Mágica is not struggling financially although it is up for sale. After 8 years and a split with Brazilian parter, the owners would like to move on and start a new life.

Although it is located in the village of Villatuerta only a few km before Estella, it was full for two weeks straight when I helped out in September. On a couple of occasions we even offered pilgrims a place on the floor of the meditation room rather than turn them away (donation basis).

At €30 a head (most pilgrims paid for dinner and breakfast as well as a bed) x 40 (amount of beds) + income from wine, beer, washer, dryer etc. I would say that they are not particularly struggling. The current price for the albergue is €250,000.

Another albergue can be added to the for sale list:
Albergue Pilgrim's in Navarette.
I have had contact with the owner over the past several months but decided not to pursue at this time. I was over in Navarette last weekend and was amazed at the amount of accommodations available in such a small town. I counted no less than 10, including a huge new albergue which opened in July. Competition must be tough.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Lets not derail the thread, I have moved some posts to a new thread.
Here's the pertinent part of a post that got moved:
So David's posted a light-hearted thread and I'll head back to that. Up and down, North and South are concepts. Heck...Whatever...
But the sensation of a bathtub at the end of a hard day's walking? Now you're talking experience, and I'll take that any day of the week over an idea. (But whomever buys it better be ready to clean it or it'll quickly become pretty disgusting.)

David and his friends in that ever diminishing country in never never
land are jealous because we can stand on our heads for years at a time.
But we do tend to wander off subject if we don't have yellow arrows to guide us.

I started looking at that website and found several houses on the Camino de Madrid. I won't retire for quite some time yet, but perhaps a second home, a place to spend holidays (which may coincide with pilgrim season?)?

Does anyone know what the deal is with the houses prices at 1€? I assume that means the price is up for discussion, but I found it quite strange...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've wandered around in fotocasa.es when I can't sleep in the middle of the night. I sometimes get a good laugh when the only amenity the property has is something like "heat". Some still have the street level dirt floor entries with room for livestock. But the ones that really keep me awake in a good way are the monthly rentals in some of my favorite towns and villages!!

I would love to serve in an albergue that offers a christian evangelic spiritual hopitality.
A pilgrime would get a bed, healthy supper in a communion with the Lord, prayers for soul/spirit/mind, psysical healing, shared testimonies and the Word (Bible).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In Spain you can receive visa if you buy a property value of more than €500,000.
Hi Erian - I really like your signature. The Forum is a great place to build up and fine-tune your English skills, with Forum members posting from all around the world in a friendly, conversational style of writing. Best of luck with your English studies generally. You give me the inspiration and motivation to build upon my poor Spanish - Salud to you and thank you.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

As a very happy Biarrot/American expat who has lived in France for the past 4 years, I can tell you from personal experience it is not as easy as many people try to paint it to be. I own a place in Biarritz and now have a tenant until 2020, I have given up living there permanently due the inordinate amount of annual paperwork required to maintain my residency and so will now live my life in Europe as a tourist under the Schengen Agreement. My many French friends are understandably upset by my decision and have said they would talk to "les authorites" but I know their pleas are hopeless.
The 500,000 euro investment in Spain has many strings attached, be very wary of the fact that it is not a permanent law but one that was created to attract investment after the Spanish real estate collapse.
If you want to live on the Camino, or in any foreign country for that matter, I suggest you find a place to rent during your favorite (or least favorite) season of the year in your village of choice and find out what everyday life is all about. Meet the town's people, find out if you are accepted, etc., etc.
Then you can make a decision as to whether it fits for you and will be loaded with enough knowledge to take it to the next level.

Last edited:

Hang a minute sport! Those criminals twice last century bailed your lot out when your German cousins instigated armed conflict. A little thanks would be appreciated;
Second issue - when the magnetic poles do their usual trick and invert where will the top or bottom then be? ;
Third - that red rock has supplied a significant percentage of the world's iron ore which the Chinese are now converting into a number of household products (refrigerators; washing machines etc) that you are happy to use.
fourth - discovered it??? Fair go - that red rock has been populated for over 40,000 years. Its people have the longest continuous culture on this planet! Yet your invaders considered it uninhabited.
Happy Christmas my amigo!!:):cool::p:Do_O

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Enough of a slanging match you two - the Kiwis must be laughing. And friends from other cultures may not appreciate the affection that underlies the rivalry to come up with the biggest insult.

I think I would feel so protective of a home opened to "pilgrims" that I would ask for letters of intent and of reference before letting people in. Like in the good old days I suppose.

I cannot help think that kt would nreak my heart and frustrate me to build a place for the comfort of Caminoers to have filled with people just in for a cheap holiday and showing little respect for fellow walkers.

But surely there must be a way. If only for the love of restoring a beautiful old lady back to her former glory.

I think I would feel so protective of a home opened to "pilgrims" that I would ask for letters of intent and of reference before letting people in. Like in the good old days I suppose.

I cannot help think that kt would nreak my heart and frustrate me to build a place for the comfort of Caminoers to have filled with people just in for a cheap holiday and showing little respect for fellow walkers.

But surely there must be a way. If only for the love of restoring a beautiful old lady back to her former glory.

Possessiveness isn't going to work you know, only expansive openness (with house rules!!) - but, you could accept only Catholics .. or only 'religious' -

Cirueña
(42k, I think this one needs complete renovation, large garden at the back and good location in the center, already two albergues in the village)
http://www.fotocasa.es/en/home/ciru...i=140&tti=1&pagination=1&RowGrid=3&tta=2&tp=1

Cirueña is that strange ghost town with the golf course and the many immaculate but apparently empty apartment blocks. I always wanted to know the story behind that place. Seems like they should pay you to live there, rather than the other way around.

Cirueña is that strange ghost town with the golf course and the many immaculate but apparently empty apartment blocks. I always wanted to know the story behind that place. Seems like they should pay you to live there, rather than the other way around.
Just partly true. Ciruena is an old village after that apartment blocks by the golf course. If you really don't like that route I suggest you take detour to the Monastery at Canas next time. Well known of its alabaster windows, just beautiful. Can send you some photos if you wish. And no need to go back to Azofra.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just partly true. Ciruena is an old village after that apartment blocks by the golf course. If you really don't like that route I suggest you take detour to the Monastery at Canas next time. Well known of its alabaster windows, just beautiful. Can send you some photos if you wish. And no need to go back to Azofra.
KO, thanks for the correction. Yes, I realize that Cirueña proper is an older village, and there's also nearby Ciriñuela. We actually enjoyed the golf course ghost town - it prompted us to plot out an episode of "Walking Dead III: El Camino de los Muertos."

Possessiveness isn't going to work you know, only expansive openness (with house rules!!) - but, you could accept only Catholics .. or only 'religious' -
Oh no, that would not do. Meditation practitioners only ;).

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back