• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back to Via Podiensis

Dreamluna

Time of past OR future Camino
2013: St. James *ended in Burgos
2014: St. James* ended in Finisterra
2015: Caminho Portuguese (completed)
June 2017: Le Puy (preparing for it)
Hi, caminantes!
This summer, I’m going back to France to resume my Camino (Moissac-Pamplona), and this time my daughter will join me, yay!
Here are my questions, what villages/cities between Moissac to SJPDP would you recommend to take a day off? Also, what gites or hotels do you recommend?

Thanks, guys!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi,

Navarrenx is a nice little walled city. I had my rest day there between Moissac and SJPDP.

Great to know! Where did you stay at? Would you recommend that place?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We stayed two nights at the "Relais du Jacquet" (in 2014). The owner, Regis, goes out of his way to make people feel at home. The evening menu was not the same one on the two days, a good thing in such a case :)

In the same city, you can find a donativo, "L'Alchimiste", which I know by reputation only. Probably a different experience, as with most donativos.

Last edited:
BTW, Navarrenx is one of the "plus beaux villages de France" (nicest villages of France, a label).

Meeting the local Saint-James association is possible every evening. We did.

I liked Navarrenx, but I also like Aire-s-l'Adour, which is about halfway for you.

Can't really recommend accommodation as I was freecamping at the time. (I know a nice field if you are interested)?!

Davey

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I stayed in Le Commerce, a modern 2-star hotel in the town centre of Navarrenx with clean rooms and a good restaurant.

In Condom (stop sniggering at the back!) I have stayed in Les Angelots, a nice little CH with a communal meal and also in the Hotel Continental, a three-star hotel on the river, also with a good restaurant. Condom is a very nice town, with a statue of the Three Musketeers by the cathedral. I found the people very friendly.

Last edited:
Hello together
I am Peter, live in Germany and my english ist not so good, but I will try my best.

We walked Moissac to Pamplona May/June 2018 and we enjoyed it. We did it in 20 stages with a rest day in Aire-sur-L´Adour.

Here are the stages and accommodiations, which were all very good:

Moissac – Auvillar, Chambre d´hôtes Le Petit Baladin
Auvillar – Miradoux, Gîte d´étape Bonté Divine
Miradoux – Lecture, Chambre d´hôtes de l´Horloge
Lecture – La Romieu, Gîte d´étape privé Convent de la Romieu
La Romieu – Condom, Gîte le Relais Saint Jacques
Condom – Montréal-du-Gers, Chambre d´hôtes Victorian Lodge
Montréal-du-Gers – Éauze, Gîte Lou Parpalhou
Éauze – Arblade-le-Haut, Chambre d´hôtes L´Arbladoise
Arblade-le-Haut – Aire-sur-L´Adour, Hotel N´Atura
Aire-sur-L´Adour – Pimbo, Gîte d´étape communal
Pimbo – Pomps, Chambre d´hôtes A.Guichard
Pomps – Maslacq, Chambre d´hôtes l´Estanquet
Maslacq – Navarrenx, Chambre d´hôtes Le Relais du Jacquet
Navarrenx – Aroue, Gîte La Ferme Bohoteguia
Aroue – Ostabat, Gîte Aira-Ona
Ostabat – Saint-Jean-le-Vieux, Hotel Mendy
Saint-Jean-le-Vieux – Orisson, Refuge Orisson
Orisson – Roncevalles, Hotel Roncevalles
Roncevalles – Zubiri, El Palo de Avallano
Zubiri – Pamplona, NH Hotel Iruna Park

In Pamplona we had 3 days to see the beautifull town.

Peter

Great list, Peter! I marked the recommendations in my book.
Thanks a lot

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stayed in Le Commerce, a modern 2-star hotel in the town centre of Navarrenx with clean rooms and a good restaurant.

In Condom (stop sniggering at the back!) I have stayed in Les Angelots, a nice little CH with a communal meal and also in the Hotel Continental, a three-star hotel on the river, also with a good restaurant. Condom is a very nice town, with a statue of the Three Musketeers by the cathedral. I found the people very friendly.

I was wondering about the Three Musketeers statue! I’ve seen pictures of it but never paid attention to its location.
Thanks!

My favorite pilgrim (only) gite in Moissac is Gite Ultreia run by Rom and Aideen Bates from Ireland. Lovely hosts, great meal, very knowledgable about Moissac (don't miss the singing nuns), directly on the chemin. Also both very experienced pilgrims with a fountain of knowledge. Will put you on first name terms with other gite owners further on the route. Not to be missed in my opinion!

Davey

Other favorites of mine. Usually in between the main towns.

19.5km from Moissac is Gite -Accueil Pelerin le Par'Chemin in the lovely village of Espalais. Beautiful place, communal dinner, Donativo. Camping. Run by the legendary Vincent (great friends of Rom and Aideen in Moissac). Most pilgrims carry on to Auvillar (pretty but more touristy in my opinion - you will see it next day anyway).

The Gite Communal in Castet Arrouy, 23km from Espalais. Part of the local village school, very cheap, lovely pretty place with huge garden. Camping. Great kitchen for cooking. Lovely local hospitalera. Most go to next town Lectoure - really didn't like this place much - big and commercial.

Marsolan - great pilgrim only gite (pilgrims carrying their own packs and pilgrims with donkeys only) in small village. Lovely owner. Quaint cafe/bar in village. Great kitchen. But only 17km from Castet Arrouy.

Further on, two places both near each other I really liked:

The village of Montreal is a wonderful place, wish I had stayed there! And 9km further Casa de Elena at Lamothe, in the middle of nowhere, views to die for!

The Gite Communal in Nogaro. Next to a park. Best dorm I have ever seen in France (only single beds and plenty of space). Cheap. Can Camp, sells beer. Kitchen.

If not Nogaro, Gite La Grange at Dubarry (14km past Nogaro). Gite on old farm. Very beautiful. Wonderful family owners. Great communal dinner. Camping. One Km off route but well worth it.

Pimbo, Gite Communal, very beautiful village with the wonderful Barthélemy collegiate church. Very friendly. Better than than the later Gite Communal in Arzacq-Arraziguet in my opinion.

Larreule - Gite L'Escale. On a farm. Very friendly. Communal dinner. Camping.

Uhart Mixe (On a variant route - recommend). The excellent Gite and cafe L'Escargot. Very friendly staff, wonderful place.

Bon Chemin!
Davey

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great information, Davey!
Thanks a lot

Great information, Davey!
Thanks a lot

Two little things I learned on the Chemin that may differ from walking in Spain. In France all cemetaries are open and have a fresh water tap. Also, if an albergue in France is open when you pass they are happy for you to stop, rest and take refreshment even if not staying there the night.

Bon Chemin!

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back