• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backbag inside in cabin on the plane?

Jonella

Hi!

I booked my flight to Pamplona - need to change the plane in Stockholm, Sweden and in Madrid. I'll have about 2-3 hours waiting time in each of them, and now I started to wonder will I get my luggages in Pamplona or not... Don't want to spend any extra-days waiting for my backbag to arrive...

Maybe it would be best to make the bag so small it can be taken inside to the cabin?
What kind of experiences you have had? Anyone needed to wait for their luggages longer than expected?

Jonella

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi -
I found it much easier to take my pack onto the plane with me. Since you shouldn't carry more than 10% of your weight, it shouldn't be a problem. (You can't take your poles on though).

lynne

My pack weighed about 6kgs so I had no trouble taking it on the plane. If you take more than that you're taking too much. Leave the poles at home-buy a walking stick when in Spain if you absolutely must

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,

thanks for your answers!
I found a new word.... (back)PACK!!! I thought it was (back)BAG... Razz

Yep, I've now decided to take my pack onto the plane... I'll just put my nordic walking sticks on hold (I'm so used to them..) if they'll arrive to Pamplona I'm happy, if not, then I'll buy a wooden one from Camino.

Anyway, 6 kilos sounds quite impossible... I've been trying to find comfortable and good quality pack from my hometown, now finally found Haglöfs model, but it weights 2,6 kilos. Then when I add all my clothes, sandals + sleeping bag... it will be quite heavy. Anyway I'll try to keep it under 10 kilos.

Thank you both,
warm greetings from snowy Finland -15 degrees.

Jonella

Jonella

2.6 kg is still too heavy - aim for 35 L max and somewhere around 1 kg for the pack

I'm aiming to wear a bum-bag to carry liquid round my waist, so reducing the weight I need to carry in my back-pack

Really? :eek:

Do you really think 35 Litre pack is big enough? Is there enough room for all the stuff you'll need to carry with you?
The one I've been thinking is 60 Litres.... Wow....

I need to re-think this one..

:?:
Jonella

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The whole purpose of starting with a smaller sack is to force you to ask yourself (Do I really need all that?) before you go rather than after a couple of days walking

With 35L I'm thinking about a non-Winter pilgrimage (so no fleece, just very light rain jacket and pants; compact sleeping bag or just sleeping bag liner; flip flops rather then extra pair of shoes;

Backpacks

My 30L Prolite backpack weighs 650grams (about 23 ounces). You can see a picture of it here:
http://www.prolitegear.com/
The only things I can't put inside it are my boots (which will be on my feet most of the time anyway).
On the Via Francigena my backpack weighed 7.2kg with biscuits, an orange and two bottles of water.
This is fine for summer walking but I think if you walk in the colder months you might need a 35L to cater for warm clothing.

Luggage delays

We've had problems with luggage delays on each of our recent flights (last summer and last week). Also on a group walking day recently I overheard at least three conversations about lost luggage.

What appears to be happening as a result of the increased security is that people don't make the plane their luggage has already been booked on and then everyone has to wait for those passengers' luggage to be found and removed. This happened to us on both outward and return trips to the States last week (it took an hour and a half for them to find the luggage on one of them). Then the flights are delayed and this has knock-on effects in getting luggage to the interconnecting planes at the right time.

The airlines seem to think it is no problem because they claim they get the luggage to you in 24 hours. And if you are staying at a hotel in your destination that's fine - your luggage will arrive while you are on the beach or whatever and the hotel can accept it for you. But if you are in a self-catering flat, at home or planning a pilgrimage it means you lose a day or more of your holiday (or work day) waiting around for it to arrive. This has happened to us twice now.

So, if you have interconnecting flights with your luggage booked through, and especially anything that goes through the UK (where security in our recent experience is more fierce than the US), then you should be prepared for your luggage to arrive later than you do.

Having said that, I will be sending my sticks and scissors etc separately and just keep my fingers crossed that they arrive OK. But we are also going to stay at our destination town (Le Puy) for two nights - and this will give the luggage a chance to arrive before we leave (I hope!).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Why just 10% of your weight?

Hi, I've had no problem hiking with 20 kg backpack which is a bit more than 25 % of my body weight. It shouldn't be a problem if you're accustomed backpacker.. The more you carry, the more fat you burn :) ..and the more happy you're to get to bed in the evening..

Some people like to travel light, some others (like me) like to carry some extra stuff that may not be needed but give you a feeling of being prepared to unexpected situations.

It shouldn't be a problem to have too large backpack, since you don't have use all empty space. On the other hand, if you have too small sack, you may be in trouble, if you, e.g. happen to buy something during your trip.

I'll use 65 litres backpack, trying to stay under.. hmm.. 15 kgs. Unfortunately, it may be too big to take onto the plane..

Janne

Re: Why just 10% of your weight?

bluesam said:
The more you carry, the more fat you burn :) ..and the more happy you're to get to bed in the evening..

Janne

My thoughts exactly! If you want it to be as easy as possible (the lightest possible equipment etc.) why bother doing it at all?

Hello all!

Yeah, just noticed that Finns are showing who they really are: mens of forests, who are not afraid of little blisters or mussle pains. Who cares of light weight packs, if you can have heavier with the same price? Ha, ha! :lol: I like you guys :wink:

Anyway, being a weak lady (?) , I'll rather choose something lighter. I looked at the http://www.prolitegear.com/ site, they looked really good and very LIGHT, but I'm too afraid to buy anything via Internet for two reasons: 1) I'm leaving in a month, so I want to be sure to get it before 2) I found my shoulders to be quite wide, which means some of the packs just really doesn't fit into my body. I'd like to prove on one before I'll buy it.

So I guess I just have to be happy with what I'll find from Finland. So far the best one is 60 litres pack that weighs 2,6 kilos. I'll try to find time to go to Helsinki, if they have different kind of selection there.

I'm doing the same than you, Windeat, I'll be sending my sticks separately and just hoping they arrive same time with me.
I also noticed, that 6.5.2007 there are new limitations for bags you want to take inside to the cabin. Cabinbag could be 56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm. I'm still trying to find out what the limitations are at the moment, 'cause I'm travelling already in April.

Thank you for your answers

:)

Jonella

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Jonella said:
Hello all!

Yeah, just noticed that Finns are showing who they really are: mens of forests, who are not afraid of little blisters or mussle pains. Who cares of light weight packs, if you can have heavier with the same price? Ha, ha! :lol: I like you guys :wink:

Just yesterday I was reading a book written by a Finnish lady who had done the Camino in 2003 I think. After a long & tedious day's walk, upon arriving at the refugio in Burgos, they meet a lady they had left befind earlier that day. The lady had taken the bus and was telling the Finn & her companion how stupid they were because they hadn't taken the bus...

I suppose walking the Camino with an ultra light backpack is easier - especially if you do your "walking" by bus :) - but personally I don't want it to be easy. I suppose that makes me a true Finn. :)

Jonella said:
So I guess I just have to be happy with what I'll find from Finland. So far the best one is 60 litres pack that weighs 2,6 kilos. I'll try to find time to go to Helsinki, if they have different kind of selection there.

Jonella

The "best" stores in Helsinki have web sites / web shops also. Have a look at Partioaitta and Lassin retkiaitta.

Jonella said:
Hello all!

I also noticed, that 6.5.2007 there are new limitations for bags you want to take inside to the cabin. Cabinbag could be 56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm. I'm still trying to find out what the limitations are at the moment, 'cause I'm travelling already in April.

Jonella

I don't know who you are flying with but many of the airlines/airports are already implementing the 56x45x25cm rule. As long as your bag will squash to fit that is still quite a big volume.
Remember you will have to put your puukko or any other knife in the hold anyway.

Buen Camino
William

I have been flying a few times the last weeks through London Stansted, and I have realized that the UK rules for baggage is a bit striker than the rest of europe.

When I fly from Santiago to London (RyanAir) I can fly with one rollerbag and one laptop bag and take both with me inside the plane. When I fly from Stansted to Oslo that same day, I am only allowed one bag inside the plane. And they are really strickt.

I am not sure what the rules actually say, but be aware that there are some differences in what is allowed and that it seems like the UK rules are more restrictive (or maybe they just follow the rules, and the rest are more relaxed?).

Buen camino,
Ivar

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Airlines and baggage

Yes, the UK is very strict. Just flying from Heathrow to Newcastle recently (i.e. within the UK) meant complications about taking liquids in hand luggage - liquids includes gels like vaseline etc and people were stopped with bags that didn't fit into the dimensions.

I envy those of you that want to take heavy packs . . . unfortunately I know that anything much more than 5K/12 lb and 10/12 miles a day is too much for me. I want to be able to stop and look at things along the way. I don't want it to become just a slog. However, each to his own. Everyone will have different motivations and, as my mother used to say, wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same?

Hei Jonella! Maybe my answer comes too late for you, but as a Finn (female) I thought I was forced to reply :wink: ... At Partiovaruste you can find Deuter futura AC 26 liters. I fly between Turku and Stockholm (work there), and everything I need surprisingly fits in that packbag. It's been allowed also in the plane cabin without any problems. No poles or puukko included. I've been very satisfied with it, and I'm taking it to the Camino also. Though I'm not packing that much with me, just the absolute necessities. Hope that you find a good one.

Buen Camino

Karo

My winter pack list is in the Equipment section of the forum, it may be useful. I used a 35 litre backpack and had room to spare in it. In winter, although you need more clothing, during the day you are wearing your jakcet, gloves etc. And it sounds as if you need most of the things on my list anyway, unless you are walking in summer - if you've been the messages about recent weather on the camino you would want survival clothes the same as in winter to be safe across the mountain passes.
So, a 35 litre pack is plenty to live the simple life. (My 20 tips for winter might also help, it's on the Camino Frances section)
By reading everyone's thoughts and reflecting a bit you'll get it right for you, we're all different.
Buen Camino
Magnara

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A few years ago my luggage was lost :cry: in a PA-MAD flight. In it was all of my Camino gear.

I had scheduled a three day stay in Madrid before leaving to start my Camino. :D

On the morning of the third day, bags still lost, :shock: I replaced all, :evil: and I mean all, my gear, buying things left and right in Madrid. It was a Sunday, so that I had to get most everything :? (not that cheap or best quality) at the "rastro" (flea market).

Later that night, as I was getting ready for bed, my stuff arrived... :)

I realized through that experience that the only thing that mattered to me was what I was going to take on my Camino, truly unreplaceable, particularly shoes. From that I learned to take it with me as carry on luggage. :lol:

Buen Camino :arrow: xm

That's a horrible story, xm. What I'm curious to know is: did the airline reimburse you for the purchases you made?

Mark

Backpacks in the cabin

When I travel to do a long walk this is what I do:

* I travel in 'throw-away' clothes - old track pants, shirt, socks - that can be left in the hotel/donated to a shelter.
* I wear sandals on the plane and carry my boots, jacket and toiletries in a carry packet.
* I take my backpack into the plane, making sure that it fits the dimensions stipulated by the airline. This is often more important than the weight because if it can't fit in the overhead compartment, you can't have it in the cabin.
* I pack my 'weapons of mass destruction' = walking pole, cutlery, scissors etc into a postal tube to check into the hold.
However:
* If I am going to stay a bit longer after the walk (eg: we will hire a car in September and drive back along the camino for a week to Pamplona) I have a small kit bag with those forbidden items and extra clothes. I take out what we'll need for the walk and post the kit bag ahead to Santiago - Lista de Correos.

The CSJ UK has a list of Post Offices where you can post stuff ahead:

Lista de Correos
31080 Pamplona (Navarra)
31100 Puenta la Reina (Navarra)
26080 Logroño (Navarra)
09080 Burgos
24080 León
24700 Astorga (León)
24400 Ponferrada (León)
27600 Sarria (Lugo)
15780 Santiago de Compostela (A Coruña)

I believe that you can post stuff to yourself from France but just beware that there isn't a cut-off time for collection. The Post Office in Santiagi is very lenient - they say 30 days but will hold items for a longer period if you write eta on the parcel.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Negative, marktqm. In all truth I didn't even go for it. I didn't want to waste my energies. I just took it as a lesson. Buen Camino :arrow: xm 8)

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back