• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack Advice: Fairview 40 vs. Aura 50

bmac123

Time of past OR future Camino
Which Osprey bag is better for the Camino? I have a Fairview 40 and an Aura 50. Pros of the Fairview: smaller, more flexible. Cons of the Fairview: no spine or hip pockets. Pros of the Aura: tons of pockets, more room, spine. Cons of Aura: potentially too big for carry-on.
I’m flying Icelandair to Madrid in a couple months and plan to walk the full Camino at the end of my time there (so next summer). But since I’ll be there for so long I need to know soon which bag is better to bring for the purpose of walking the Camino.
Thanks in advance!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi and welcome! I'd say the Aura, it is made for carrying loads over time. The Fairview is a good portable suitcase to get you on and off trains and planes but for a long walk, I would take the Aura every time.

Do you already own both of these backpacks? If not, I'd say neither. As @nidarosa said, the Fairview is not made for backpacking and carrying for long periods of time. On the other hand, the Aura, at over 4 lbs/1.8 kg is very heavy, and much larger than necessary for the Camino.
If you must use one of these, then load each up and carry it for 6 hours or so. Use whichever one is more comfortable to you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Which Osprey bag is better for the Camino? I have a Fairview 40 and an Aura 50. Pros of the Fairview: smaller, more flexible. Cons of the Fairview: no spine or hip pockets. Pros of the Aura: tons of pockets, more room, spine. Cons of Aura: potentially too big for carry-on.
I’m flying Icelandair to Madrid in a couple months and plan to walk the full Camino at the end of my time there (so next summer). But since I’ll be there for so long I need to know soon which bag is better to bring for the purpose of walking the Camino.
Thanks in advance!
Mmm, I actually took/used the Fairview40 when I did the Camino Frances in 2018. It was the perfect size for me/did not over pack but had everything I needed. No hassles w/ checked luggage. It always fit perfect in the overhead bin.
It traveled well, honestly never had an issue w/ it. When I do the Norte, I plan to carry the same backpack. I agree w/ Trecile also, test drive both and go from there. Buen Camino.

I say the 40, and it still big! I took the 50 on my trip in 2014, and when I got to Pamplona I purchased a deuter 44 the only one available at the local store, and mailed the big one back home with about 15 pounds of extra-unneeded stuff. You will realize that people hike with 24L and 36L bags, with built in rain covers! We realized that we took to much stuff, our next Camino, hopefully 2023 when I turn 65, I will bring my Osprey Talon 30. It will be plenty enough. We hiked Camino end of August to October, weather was great! Hope this helps! Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Assuming the basic dimensions of the larger backpack are within the airlines' carry-on limits, but by the time you get all your gear packed in the pack will be too overstuffed to squeeze into the overhead bin, take along a small, lightweight daypack which can be folded into itself. Remove some of the items from the larger backpack and carry them in the daypack, which can be placed under the seat. A small daypack is useful on the Camino anyway for wandering around the towns in the evening or for your raingear and snacks if you have your larger pack transported. The one linked below is an is similar to the one I use I use for day hikes here in the mountains of Colorado. But on the Camino, I carried an even smaller one that squeezed down into about the size of a baseball. That one came from Walmart and cost around US$8, but I can't find it on their website now. The one below is from Eddie Bauer:

If you can afford to do so and think that you might walk other distance routes in the future then I'd recommend downsizing to a smaller pack in the 30-35 litre range that fits you really well. If that's not possible then take the pack that fits you the best because it's going to be your closest friend for many days. If that's not possible then take the most comfortable pack you own. If it's not comfortable you will be thinking about how you should have taken a different pack instead of thinking about how much pleasure you're having on camino! I've used a Gregory Z40, an Osprey 24 and a Gregory Z32. The latter has been my favourite and I found it to be everything needed on a 1500 km camino. I'm trying to patiently wait to again take it on the Via Francigena next spring, but I must admit it's difficult staying patient. Have fun!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mmm, I actually took/used the Fairview40 when I did the Camino Frances in 2018. It was the perfect size for me/did not over pack but had everything I needed. No hassles w/ checked luggage. It always fit perfect in the overhead bin.
It traveled well, honestly never had an issue w/ it. When I do the Norte, I plan to carry the same backpack. I agree w/ Trecile also, test drive both and go from there. Buen Camino.
I
I say the 40, and it still big! I took the 50 on my trip in 2014, and when I got to Pamplona I purchased a deuter 44 the only one available at the local store, and mailed the big one back home with about 15 pounds of extra-unneeded stuff. You will realize that people hike with 24L and 36L bags, with built in rain covers! We realized that we took to much stuff, our next Camino, hopefully 2023 when I turn 65, I will bring my Osprey Talon 30. It will be plenty enough. We hiked Camino end of August to October, weather was great! Hope this helps! Buen Camino
I carried a 32L, but also had a small, stowable 16L pack that I could take with me for shopping and holding odds and ends. The smaller bag weighed almost nothing and allowed flexibility for carrying things. Really, anything more than 36L seems to invite carrying too much weight and too many “things”.

Thanks in advance!
Hey everyone, a follow up note.

My other option is my Osprey Sirius 24L hiking pack. Is this too small? I figure it's summer, so I won't have to carry as much, and only plan to bring a sleeping bag liner instead of a full sleeping bag.

My apologies for all the questions - This is my first time. Also, for context, I plan to walk the Camino Frances.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

My other option is my Osprey Sirius 24L hiking pack. Is this too small? I figure it's summer, so I won't have to carry as much, and only plan to bring a sleeping bag liner instead of a full sleeping bag.

My apologies for all the questions - This is my first time. Also, for context, I plan to walk the Camino Frances.
24L is a good summer size. I choose to take a 30L because it was so much for comfortable fully loaded. Meant there was also room for snacks for isolated stages.

You could possibly get by with a 24. Note that some who use sacks so small are petite women. I’d struggle to get a pair of sandals and a change of clothes into my wife’s rucksack.

it’s not compulsory to fill a rucksack to capacity so I wouldn’t rule out anything for the time being, if you have time to have a decent walk with any of your sacks with (say) 9kg in the bag.

I use an Osprey Kestrel 38 and could easily manage if it were a 32(ish). I’d struggle with a 24 without really cramming things in.

Thanks in advance!

I usually use 22-25 L backpacks. On my first camino 16 years ago I used a 32 L. But as you get better at packing specifically for the camino you need smaller backpacks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.