• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack airport cover??

utopiansky

We bought this Osprey backpack protector thing to put our packs in... its a big black bag that zips closed and has a luggage lock and a single strap and folds in on itself when you're not using it.
We got it because our packs are pretty big and we are going to have to check them, and we are nervous about the straps and buckles getting caught in the conveyor belts or getting broken, and I guess nervous too about the ease someone would have of getting into our packs. The thing is not THAT heavy, but its pretty big and takes up a LOT of space in my pack, about as much as my sleeping bag!! Is this thing a good thing to have or is it pointless? Should we use it and then just ship it ahead to Santiago??

Thanks!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used something similar for my osprey pack and was glad I did. I left it in sjpdp with someone to look after as I was returning there. You could post yours to Ivar to look after in Santiago. Mine ended up with a small hole in it which may have happened to the backpack if I didnt have the cover on it. Alternatively you could throw it away ,if it didn't cost too much, when you arrive and chance the home trip or buy something similar in Santiago for the return trip. cheeers Jane

Hi,
I got my pack wrapped in plastic at the airport I left from save all those straps getting caught on the carousels and people interfering with my pack in transit. I wasn't returning to the same place so could not leave a case anywhere. I got it wrapped at Madrid airport on the way back. A great idea!
Regards,
Susanna

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Susanna said:
Hi,
I got my pack wrapped in plastic at the airport... I got it wrapped at Madrid airport on the way back. A great idea!
Regards,
Susanna

Thats a good idea! How much is it to do that???

Janeh said:
I used something similar for my osprey pack and was glad I did. I left it in sjpdp with someone to look after as I was returning there. You could post yours to Ivar to look after in Santiago. Mine ended up with a small hole in it which may have happened to the backpack if I didnt have the cover on it. Alternatively you could throw it away ,if it didn't cost too much, when you arrive and chance the home trip or buy something similar in Santiago for the return trip. cheeers Jane

The cover was 30 dollars. We're returning to Madrid after the Camino so maybe I could leave it there? Where would I leave it at? I've heard you can leave things at your hotel and they will put them in a closet or something for you...

South African Airports charge R25 (about $2.50 or £2) to plastic wrap a piece of luggage.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I bought a lightweight bag to put my backpack in for the plane trip. It folded up really small and I used it as a pillow case when I would get to the albergues.

I wrapped my backpack at the airport and I must say I had a devil of a time undoing it all in Madrid! That stretch-tite plastic was wrapped a zillion times around, impossible to find a 'start', and of course I didn't have any scissors with me! So just a warning to anyone who has their bag wrapped - find an agent at the airport with scissor to help you undo it before you walk out the doors and then decide to put it on!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Me and my husband got the Osprey Airporter pack cover/transporter too. When we "tried on" our new rig we found that the Airporter was too big for the packs. It was very awkward to carry because of the way the pack rode in the floppy bottom. My pack is an Aura 50 and my husband is a Atmos 65 so they are not small packs. We used them anyway and were glad we did because they both took some minor damage during transport.

We fly several times a year from DFW airport which is a major airport and I have not yet seen the plastic wrap stations like what we saw in the European airports but perhaps there are some at the east coast airports. That is the best idea by far to keep your pack protected and it is disposable.

Since you already bought the Airporter you can use if or return it. If you choose to use it my suggestion is sew the bottom of the bag so the pack will ride more upright, nearer to how it should ride on your shoulder. It's still awkward but better.

Happy Trails!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.