• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack and Airline Requirements!?

JByrne

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2013
I presume we should travel with a backpack on our 100K pilgrimage from Sarria to Santiago deCompstela? However, we are picking up a flight at the end on Ryanair -- I guess from some nearby airport -- to take us to Dublin. If the backpacks are oversized Ryanair will demand all our $$$. Is there a specific "carry-on" size? Any other tips welcome!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-con ... binbaggage

"Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptop, shop purchases, camera etc.) must be carried in your 1 permitted piece of cabin baggage."

In my experience, dimensions are very strictly enforced, and weights occasionally checked.

I flew Ryan Air a couple of years ago, so my experience my be out of date, I carried on my 35 litre back pack but my hiking poles were another matter. With airline rules lately I'm not sure any airline will let you board with poles. Because my pack and poles together are so lite I check them and walk on the plane empty handed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ryanair are very very strict about the dimensions of the luggage. this is one of the ways they make money.

On the other hand walking poles are the responsibility of security at the airport not the airlines.

Walking poles are judged to be a possible offensive weapon.
Would you risk having them taken from you just as you start your Camino.?

On the other hand you could purchase poles in St. Jean ( I assume if you are coming through Dublin and flying Ryanair that you you are flying into Biarritz)

Buen Camino

Sorry I did not read your original correctly.

I hear that poles are always confiscated in Santiago.

Buen Camino

If you're worried about size/weight you can wear lots of clothes as you board the plane to reduce what's in the bag. As long as the basic frame of the backpack fits within the required dimensions you might be OK. Remember that no liquids etc can be taken on board so you might have to stock up on toiletries as soon as you arrive in Spain.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's not "no liquids".

But as well as walking poles, remember that water bottles/bladders aren't allowed (even if empty), nor are knives and other tools (even nail clippers...), maybe even lighters and matches (I forget the current regulations.)

Just check the bag.

robventures said:
It's not "no liquids".
Yep, my mistake. Containers up to 100ml are OK. Buen Camino!

But as well as walking poles, remember that water bottles/bladders aren't allowed (even if empty), nor are knives and other tools (even nail clippers...), maybe even lighters and matches (I forget the current regulations.)

Is that specifically RyanAir? I have never had an empty bottle or bladder confiscated. In fact, I use my 32 ounce bottle to pack my toothbrush, etc. in.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'd be interested if all of these posts are solely related to Ryanair. My backpack will have an "empty bladder in it (Air France). What would be the rationale?

I flew by Ryanair from Santiago to London in June this year. The Ryanair ticketing site will give you their dimensions and weight restrictions which may well differ from that of other airlines (certainly different from Virgin Atlantic). They are very strict and will let you through the check in desk, security etc all the way to the departure lounge where they will bring round their measuring container and check EVERYONES luggage. Ryanair departs from Santiago airport (Lavacolla) airport, which is about half an hour bus ride from the city, and buses run every half hour from the city. Check with the tourist offices in Rua Vilar (very close to the cathedral) for departure points and times. I checked in my bags and my poles when disassembled fit in my 34 litre backpack.

Ryanair checks size and weight. Maybe. The gate staff will glance at your bag if it looks too big they'll make you put it into the size frame.

They don't search your bag. They don't xray it. All that is done by security. Even then you can buy things post security and take bottles/liquids .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I presume we should travel with a backpack on our 100K pilgrimage from Sarria to Santiago deCompstela? However, we are picking up a flight at the end on Ryanair -- I guess from some nearby airport -- to take us to Dublin. If the backpacks are oversized Ryanair will demand all our $$$. Is there a specific "carry-on" size? Any other tips welcome!
I took two flights from london to biarritz and to sevilla with a loewe alpine airzone 35 litres centro as cabin luggage without any problem. It was never stopped and checked. Be sure to keep the weight down under 10 kilos. If you are not sure whether the dimensions are ok, try to put your rucksack through the ryanair's cage before your arrive at the boarding gate. You should be alright.

Buen camino and good luck.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.