• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack as Therapeutic Device

Viejo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April-June 2016
I am 67 years old and will be attempting my first camino beginning next month. I am not fit, am carrying about 20 extra pounds of belly fat, and have had some disc problems and sciatica which sometimes make walking painful. I began some practice "hikes" a few months ago and was discouraged to find that after about 2 or 3 miles the pain in my hips and legs became increasingly worse. Almost ready to give up the idea of making the long walk, I nevertheless tried some practice hikes while carrying a loaded 15-pound backpack. Much to my surprise, the pain almost disappeared while I was wearing the pack. It must be acting like a brace and somehow allowing the vertebrae to align themselves without pressing on the sciatic nerve. Thanks to this little miracle, I will be on the trail next month and even welcoming the heavy load I'll be carrying. Sometimes help comes from unexpected sources...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree, my back hurts a lot more if I walk without a pack! You might want to try walking poles too to take some strain off the legs. If you use them properly they will let you use your upper body to help moving forward. Buen camino!

Thanks, Nidarosa, I will purchase poles before starting out.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Or just go to a store and try them, see how it feels, and ask the sales assistant to explain how to use them. There is a knack to using them to benefit you, and if not, they are just expensive and heavy and will hinder more than they help. If you find you like or need them you can always pick up a pair in Spain too.

Yay! At last someone posting about this phenomenon. It happens to me too.
All my back/shoulder etc pains get less and less each day while carrying my pack on caminos.

Of course, I’m sensible and have always used a pack with quality straps (esp. hip belt) and now swear by the Aarn. Oneplanet was also great.

I don’t overload and although I've never actually weighed it, I suspect I walk with around 10-12 kgs (incl water). I agree with @Viejo that it takes the pressure off the spine and relieves my L5/S1 compression pain. Worth a try.

I am 67 years old and will be attempting my first camino beginning next month. I am not fit, am carrying about 20 extra pounds of belly fat, and have had some disc problems and sciatica which sometimes make walking painful. I began some practice "hikes" a few months ago and was discouraged to find that after about 2 or 3 miles the pain in my hips and legs became increasingly worse. Almost ready to give up the idea of making the long walk, I nevertheless tried some practice hikes while carrying a loaded 15-pound backpack. Much to my surprise, the pain almost disappeared while I was wearing the pack. It must be acting like a brace and somehow allowing the vertebrae to align themselves without pressing on the sciatic nerve. Thanks to this little miracle, I will be on the trail next month and even welcoming the heavy load I'll be carrying. Sometimes help comes from unexpected sources...

Excellent!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi viejo,

I have occasional lower back pain and my experience is the same as yours. So long as the pack has a good internal frame, it will actually transfer the weight to your hips. And maybe that weight placement works wonders on your discs.

Good to see this post because I've read a lot of posts from people with back problems who are looking for companies to transport their packs. If they let the company carry their good pack and carry a day pack without any internal support or belts, they may wind up with more pain than if they had carried the fully loaded properly fitted pack.

Yes, and never know that the pack may have improved things!

I used to have back problems but I haven't for years. The first Camino seemed to cure it. Getting fitter, hard beds, who knows?

I gave up backpacking thirty years ago because of a bad lower back and a doctor's urging. I tried it again twenty years ago, and found the stress did not cause pain in my back! I don't take doctor advice anymore on such matters without independently testing it! If your back feels OK with a pack, you will be just fine. As to the therapeutic benefits of wearing one, I cannot guess on that one; using any muscle will improve it, but pain probably is not coming from muscles. Using the muscles may aggravate join issues. It is pretty individual.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

My pack weighed about 19 Lbs and my wife's about 15. And in the end there still were things we wished we would have left behind. Just remember the old George Carlin joke about "Our Stuff". The Camino is not the AT or the PCT. Buen Camino

It was the same for me....I really came to love my backpack because the chronic pain I have in my back became so much less whilst wearing the pack....

I have had two back surgery's in the past and I awaken each morning in pain. I was concerned about my back on the walk and at about 15 lbs. including water. Once I started carrying my pack my back seeme3d ok. My Dr. said it probably helps the posture and improves it . We start walking from SJPDP this coming Saturday the 17th of March.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is incredible, I'm glad those of you that had back pain did not give up... I don't have back problem and I don't want one. My wife on the other hand does, I will let her know this, she may want to give it a try.

Buen Camino

I have had a similar experience. I'm walking my fifth Camino this year. I've had back problems for years and have arthritis all down my spine. My back doesn't bother on the Camino. I've discussed this with my back doctor, my chiropractor and my massage therapist. The two ideas that emerged is the brace theory and/or that the pack itself, because of the hip belt, provides some traction.

I'm in full agreement ,,,,, walked Pamplona to santiago last sept/ oct carrying about 8.5 kg all the way and my back and arthritis felt much better,,, yes

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Another in full agreement.
When I start each morning I quote to myself what has become my mantra.
"Head up! Shoulders back! Open your chest! Slow down! This is not a race!" (When I first start a Camino I need to quote this three or four times a day to train myself to maintain this posture)
I am also positive my pacer poles aid in maintaing this posture.
Regards
Gerard

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You can add me to the list of people who has back, hip and knee problems whos aches and pains disappear when walking with a pack. As mentioned good posture must been one of the reasons.

Last edited:
"Head up! Shoulders back! Open your chest! Slow down! This is not a race!"
I say the exact same thing to myself each day of my practice walks!!!! The "This is not a race." must be repeated several times :) Once I hit my stride all is good, then I must remember to slow it down after the first couple of miles.

The pack, right next to my spine, works wonders for my compressed disks.

I'm in full agreement ,,,,, walked Pamplona to santiago last sept/ oct carrying about 8.5 kg all the way and my back and arthritis felt much better,,, yes
And just finished more Camino this year!!!did about 550 kms with my pack!! Down to about 7.5 kgs now and no back problems at all ...Feels strange now without pack

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back