• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack concern

Tumbleweed

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
Hello and Buen Camino,
I'm still looking for the right backpack. The issue I'm having is under my arms. The straps seem to be too wide and sit where they rub my underarms. Any suggestions on a women's backpack M? Budget oriented. All comments are much appreciated.

PS: I did find the right sleeping bag for me. Mountain Hardware down 35/50 flip. I purchased it today and am very excited. It has many features I was hoping for and weighes in at 1.13 lbs.

Great day to all,
Angela

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm still a fan of the Aarn Featherlight Freedom.

Deuter and Osprey both have backpacks designed specifically for women. I found a Deuter that works for my narrow shoulders. Many pilgrims like the Jade backpacks as well. Good luck, and Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My wife uses the Gregory Jade model which is designed for women. She has been very happy with the design of the back straps to fit women.
Osprey also has models for women.

Have you been trying on the packs with a load in them, in a shop where there is an assistant to help you adjust all the straps to fit you? I have a Deuter women-specific pack and found it fitted me like a glove once I had adjusted it. But all our bodies/backs are different shapes.
Margaret

I've had great success with the Osprey Exos 46, but you know, packs are like boots: they must be fit to our highly individual bodies. The advice to get a knowledgeable shop assistant and a good fitting is really sound wisdom.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Like "BornToWalkAlone" I am in the middle of the backpack dilemma! Most packs I want to try are only available online. I ordered a Women's "Casimir 36" from The North Face. Does anyone have experience with this pack? It has an adjustable belt & torso length. 1.04 Kgs./2.3 Lbs.
Also, is anyone trying a frameless pack like "Golite Jam" or "Gossamer Gorilla"?
Thanks, Pam

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc- ... rom=subCat

Once more, can I put in a plug for the Aarn packs - small New Zealand company with a revolutionary system. http://www.aarnpacks.com/products/feath ... eedom.html
I've been using these now for over 10 years and my interest is that I want the company to stay in business so I can keep buying them!

I only have 13 more sleeps before I head out from Johannesburg South Africa to start my Camino in SJPP on 15 May. This morning I did my first training walk with my backpack on a deuter (women specific) ACT lite 35 + 10 liter capacity, I walked with it almost fully loaded as I will walk on the Camino and found it very comfortable.
Will walk every day this week with it on. I've trained hard and prepared myself well physically and now I'm really looking forward to getting on The Path and allowing the Camino to unfold itself to me and teach me much.
Seek out a good supplier who can measure you and fit the pack to you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I use osprey tallon

anyways, I dont like the north face because they are pretty high up behind your bead so when you want to look up or back they get in the way...

but maybe that is just me..

Phillypilgrim said:
Also, is anyone trying a frameless pack like "Golite Jam" or "Gossamer Gorilla"?
Thanks, Pam]

Pam, I have a Golite Jam, but it is really only comfortable with a very light load. I love it for day trips when I'm carrying less than 10 pounds/5 kilos) but not really for much more than that.

I met some hikers on the Camino del Norte who were using Golite Jams and they were not comfortable or supportive enough for their gear, so they ended up leaving the packs behind halfway to buy packs with frames.

I've been very happy with the Osprey Talon series, they are lightweight without being completely frameless. I love my Gregory Z55, so comfortable and supportive, but a bit large for the Camino.

Yallah said:
hey ended up leaving the packs behind halfway to buy packs with frames.

I love my Gregory Z55, so comfortable and supportive, but a bit large for the Camino.

:oops: I test loaded mine yesterday and wondered if I should take my bigger one :D

Personally I'd rather something comfortable etc then something small.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Yallah! I won't order the Golite Jam. I will check out the Osprey packs at REI.

Yes, I too want to thank everyone for your advice. I have been to REI, I've been fitted and yes, I walked around the store with a Gregory Sage with a load in it for 1/2 hour or so. I liked it and sometimes I forgot I had it on. Still my concern is the shoulder straps fitting under my arms and causing soreness by moving my arms back and forth. I have 4 months until I fly out, so plenty of time to figure it out. Thanks again....can't wait to start walking.

Buen Camino

Borntowalkalone, You probably haven't heard of the ULA backpacks, and that's probably because they are a small company. Kind of like your Ma & Pa shops, but they are specialized and made to your specifications. I have 3 of their packs for different types of backpacking, and love them. One of the things that I enjoy the most is to be able to speak to the owner and explain what it is that I want on my pack. Their prices are very reasonable. You may want to check them out if your looking for something that fits you perfectly and can be adapted to what your needs might be.

Their website is: http://www.ula-equipment.com

Ultreia!

Mary

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Osprey Kyte 46 is working well for me. I also had trouble finding a pack that didn't have arm straps that would hurt after a while. I am on the Camino just 4 days now and am finding my pack is very comfortable. Buen Camino!

The Osprey...any style...did not fit me....I am vertically challenged :) I used a Soloman 28 or 30ltr. and it worked great for me.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks everyone -

After trying on many packs with loads of 10 - 15 lbs, I purchased the Osprey Krestel 38 S/M 36L.

Only 107 days to go!

Buen Camino
Angela :D

juliecarteraz said:
Deuter and Osprey both have backpacks designed specifically for women. I found a Deuter that works for my narrow shoulders. Many pilgrims like the Jade backpacks as well. Good luck, and Buen Camino!

My wife tried the Golite Jam 35 and did not like it, she did like her Gregory Jade 38 a lot

Pam, I have a Golite Jam, but it is really only comfortable with a very light load. I love it for day trips when I'm carrying less than 10 pounds/5 kilos) but not really for much more than that.

I met some hikers on the Camino del Norte who were using Golite Jams and they were not comfortable or supportive enough for their gear, so they ended up leaving the packs behind halfway to buy packs with frames.

I took my Golite Jam 50 (Camino Frances) and carried over 20 Lbs confortably, I saw a German Pilgrim using the smaller Golite and he liked it.

In retrospect if I had know how bad the Camino was due to the heavy rains, I would have taken my Gregory Z40. It is better at load balancing and the frame would have helped a bit to maneuver around the mud and rocks in the bad parts of the road. In the better sections of the Camino I had no problems

Hello and Buen Camino,
I'm still looking for the right backpack. The issue I'm having is under my arms. The straps seem to be too wide and sit where they rub my underarms. Any suggestions on a women's backpack M? Budget oriented. All comments are much appreciated.

PS: I did find the right sleeping bag for me. Mountain Hardware down 35/50 flip. I purchased it today and am very excited. It has many features I was hoping for and weighes in at 1.13 lbs.

Great day to all,
Angela
Be sure that the backpack has an adjustable strap connection of the shoulder straps across the chest, which reduces a lot a stress from the weight of the pack pulling on the shoulders. My pack didn’t have this feature, but I was able to “Gerry rig“ the shoulder straps with C-rings to connect across my chest and it was a great improvement on the weight distribution of of the pack.
Bom Camino…

Gerry

Attachments

• 6FFF5F07-29C6-4EF6-BB5F-7C9722452E05.jpeg
    6FFF5F07-29C6-4EF6-BB5F-7C9722452E05.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Be sure that the backpack has an adjustable strap connection of the shoulder straps across the chest, which reduces a lot a stress from the weight of the pack pulling on the shoulders. My pack didn’t have this feature, but I was able to “Gerry rig“ the shoulder straps with C-rings to connect across my chest and it was a great improvement on the weight distribution of of the pack.
Bom Camino…

Gerry
This thread is from 2013. Just sayin' :)

This thread is from 2013. Just sayin' :)
Wow, I’m new to the website and must be more mindful of the date of what‘s posted. Then again, outdated comments probably should be removed after so many years. Regards…

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.