• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack = Favorite new toy

jo webber

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 9th 2017
Over the last few months I have packed, repacked, changed out items, left out items and rearranged my pack - a lot. My back pack is not large, Osprey 26L. And although it weights almost 1.4k alone, I have managed to get the total weight down to 5.5 k without water or food. Water gets the weight to 6k.

I got rid of the flannel bag liner and now have a soft woven light weight blanket plus a silk liner. I will sleep in my next day clothes if needed, as I have done camping when it has been cold. There is no jacket in my pack, there are enough shirts and sweaters to layer, if it really cold there will be my rain poncho/coat to add over everything. I am worrying too much. If there is something I really need it can be purchased on the Camino.

Now that the weather has cooled down I can start walking again. Then add the pack weight in stages. Once I am very comfortable walking 20 kilometers with the full load, I'll see about adding any wants.

Many thanks to all who post here with great ideas, items to try and who share experience.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Jo -
I think that your planning with the items in the backpack is a great thing. It sounds as though you have it all really well fine-tuned and each item you take will get a lot of use - and no dead weight in the pack from unused gear. Building up your pack weight in stages in your training is the way to go too.
Buen Camino for next year!
Cheers - Jenny

Over the last few months I have packed, repacked, changed out items, left out items and rearranged my pack - a lot. My back pack is not large, Osprey 26L. And although it weights almost 1.4k alone, I have managed to get the total weight down to 5.5 k without water or food. Water gets the weight to 6k.

I got rid of the flannel bag liner and now have a soft woven light weight blanket plus a silk liner. I will sleep in my next day clothes if needed, as I have done camping when it has been cold. There is no jacket in my pack, there are enough shirts and sweaters to layer, if it really cold there will be my rain poncho/coat to add over everything. I am worrying too much. If there is something I really need it can be purchased on the Camino.

Now that the weather has cooled down I can start walking again. Then add the pack weight in stages. Once I am very comfortable walking 20 kilometers with the full load, I'll see about adding any wants.

Many thanks to all who post here with great ideas, items to try and who share experience.
Good stuff 26L is small. Mine was 48L I like to be able to just toss in & go. But that was my choice. Have a very nice walk!
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Sounds like you are very well prepared with equipment and have your training regime all sorted.

Once you are comfortable with walking with a full pack can you find a destination 20km away from home where you can stay overnight and then walk home again? We always do this this a few times before venturing onto our next adventure as it gives us a true field test of all our gear.

I think we can never be fully prepared because comfort does contribute to the wellbeing of the journey and it's quite subjective. And in any case, we have the time and opportunity to tweak until we find our sweet spot, not at home but on the way.

I ended the journey with 60% of what I started out with because I learn led what is "enough" to be comfortable and gave the rest away. I also rid and loss some things which had to be replaced.

I carried my pack all the way so it was almost an adventure in and of itself to work on finding my sweet spot. Also I believe the ideal is mental and physical conditions that change daily more than anything else cos some days, my pack feels like a feather and I could literally run uphill with it and some days, it felt as if I was carrying bricks in it. That I assume is something that defies any over cautious preparations. Surprisingly, I found that there is a huge margin between necessities and good to have's which only we ourselves, along the way can make calculated decisions on.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
SYates is correct (as usual)...sort of... The Osprey rucksack weighs as much as it does empty because it is an internal frame pack with an integral padded waist belt. The Osprey waist belt design is among the best in the industry.

The weight of a rucksack is relative to the quality. While heavier bags are not necessarily the best bags, it is true that the lightest, frameless bags, are NOT advisable for longer treks, carrying more than a couple of kilos. At both ends of the weight curve, most rucksacks are likely not suitable to purpose (Camino).

The lightest bags are more suitable to casual hikes and short day hikes. The heavier bags are more suitable to expedition and through hiking use. Conversely, the typical Camino profile can be likened to Alpine "hut hiking" from one shelter (e.g. albergue) to the next hut or shelter for the night.

Thus, the "sweet spot" if you will, seems to be for internal framed rucksacks of medium volume. You will find a LOT of opinions on what the "best" size is for a rucksack. These range from about 24-25 liters, up to 50 liters or more.

In my opinion and experience, the correct range for the largest tranche of pilgrims is likely between about 35-38 liters to about 45-46 liters. But, your experience and needs may well differ. However, if you are just starting out looking for a Camino rucksack, and are a "normal sized" person, consider this as the place to begin your search.

But, over years of experience, experimentation, and after many sore shoulder and back muscles, and IMHO, and generically stated, the "best" rucksack solution is the one that:
  • carries the stuff you decide YOU need for YOUR Camino,
  • in a manner you determine best (all inside, versus having "dangly bits" strapped to the outside),
  • protects the contents from rain, snow, or casual "appropriation" by others during rest stops,
  • in a comfortable manner over the span of the day, in all weather. (PERIOD - END STOP)
Another consideration is that larger people (like me) wear clothing that is necessarily larger than smaller people. This results in a net increase in pack volume required to "house" all this gear. So, a petite woman wearing XS or S sized clothing will obviously require a smaller pack to contain her extra clothing than will someone who is literally more than twice her size (me), wearing clothing in the XXL range.Trust me, I DO envy pilgrims of smaller stature who can walk a Camino with a 34 liter pack.

The weight penalty for the smaller person also tends to be less, as non-clothing gear items tend to be one-size and weight. So, the poncho I carry will be the same as the poncho a much smaller person might carry. Similarly, my smart phone charger and cable is more or less the same as all others...etc.

So much for overall volumetrics...returning to empty pack weight...

Even though the vertical stays, or ribs, are usually a durable ABS plastic, they must have a specific mass and weight to do their job of providing support and rigidity. This goes with having a quality rucksack, of any brand. Some manufacturers still use aluminum stays. These can be better in some circumstances and do bend to conform to the curve of your back. However, they tend to weigh more than the plastic varieties.

Even if you compare this rucksack (Osprey) to other major makers, such as Deuter, Ferrino, the North Face, and many others, you will find they use pretty much the same support system. The biggest differences are usually in the back support panel system.

Some makers use a ribbed pad, alone, or under a webbed piece of fabric to enhance circulation. Others use a stiffly suspended piece of ventilated fabric in a trampoline sort of arrangement to suspend the pack from your back to provide a cushioned carry and ventilation. Some merely use a pad, covered in ventilated fabric.

Some of these choices are cost-driven. Others are performance-driven. In the end, the weight variance among the better rucksacks comes down to grams or a few ounces. What matters most, at least IMHO, is how the pack feels after 10 or 20 Km, over undulating or hilly terrain, in a range of weather.

I do believe that, after a few days on Camino, the "best rucksack" for you is the one that fits like a comfortable pair of old shoes or your favorite sweater (pull). You feel good hoisting it onto your back in the morning, and actually feel somewhat "naked" when you remove it at breaks and at the end of each day's walk.

THAT is how I know my Osprey Kestrel 48 liter pack is right for me. I need the volume to carry the stuff I require. This includes clothing, gear, and the extra nutritional supplements and medication I must carry for personal reasons. The back panel conforms perfectly to my back, shoulders and hips, the weight is relative, and I DO feel somewhat naked without the pack after a day's walk.

I hope this helps the dialog.

I'm in the last week of our Le Puy to Santiago Camino and an Osprey Exos 48 has been just right for me.

Jo, I can't tell when you plan to walk, but if it will be in warm weather, you may want to plan on carrying more water; the 0.5k you allow for is only a pint. Over the past 70 or so days, I've seen a lot of serious dehydration, which can contribute to a lot of pilgrim maladies from heat stroke to blisters to tendonitis.

We carry two liters each (4 lbs) and usually drink every drop. There are places to refill your water, but we like to start with plenty.

Other than that, congratulation on what sounds like a great job of getting your pack weight and size down to a minimum.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I third (fifth? tenth?) the opinion that the goal is getting the right size pack, not the smallest one out there (and perhaps the OP's is right for her). The really small ones are often, as written so well above) lacking in the appropriate frame and straps to make carrying more than a lunch and jacket comfortable for many miles. If you haven't, you should walk several days in a row in the clothes you plan to use, with your pack packed with the things you plan to take. that will give you an idea if you will get hot spots or fatigue from how the pack rides with its weight.

Hi Jo, I loved my Osprey Kite and found the 36L to be perfect, but it might be helpful to post your packing list. You might find responses ( varied to be sure) very helpful, especially from member SYates.....she even wrote a book on the topic. Wish you Buen Camino.

SYates is correct (as usual)...sort of... The Osprey rucksack weighs as much as it does empty because it is an internal frame pack with an integral padded waist belt. The Osprey waist belt design is among the best in the industry.

The weight of a rucksack is relative to the quality. While heavier bags are not necessarily the best bags, it is true that the lightest, frameless bags, are NOT advisable for longer treks, carrying more than a couple of kilos. At both ends of the weight curve, most rucksacks are likely not suitable to purpose (Camino).

The lightest bags are more suitable to casual hikes and short day hikes. The heavier bags are more suitable to expedition and through hiking use. Conversely, the typical Camino profile can be likened to Alpine "hut hiking" from one shelter (e.g. albergue) to the next hut or shelter for the night.

Thus, the "sweet spot" if you will, seems to be for internal framed rucksacks of medium volume. You will find a LOT of opinions on what the "best" size is for a rucksack. These range from about 24-25 liters, up to 50 liters or more.

In my opinion and experience, the correct range for the largest tranche of pilgrims is likely between about 35-38 liters to about 45-46 liters. But, your experience and needs may well differ. However, if you are just starting out looking for a Camino rucksack, and are a "normal sized" person, consider this as the place to begin your search.

But, over years of experience, experimentation, and after many sore shoulder and back muscles, and IMHO, and generically stated, the "best" rucksack solution is the one that:
  • in a manner you determine best (all inside, versus having "dangly bits" strapped to the outside),
  • protects the contents from rain, snow, or casual "appropriation" by others during rest stops,
  • in a comfortable manner over the span of the day, in all weather. (PERIOD - END STOP)
Another consideration is that larger people (like me) wear clothing that is necessarily larger than smaller people. This results in a net increase in pack volume required to "house" all this gear. So, a petite woman wearing XS or S sized clothing will obviously require a smaller pack to contain her extra clothing than will someone who is literally more than twice her size (me), wearing clothing in the XXL range.Trust me, I DO envy pilgrims of smaller stature who can walk a Camino with a 34 liter pack.

The weight penalty for the smaller person also tends to be less, as non-clothing gear items tend to be one-size and weight. So, the poncho I carry will be the same as the poncho a much smaller person might carry. Similarly, my smart phone charger and cable is more or less the same as all others...etc.

Even though the vertical stays, or ribs, are usually a durable ABS plastic, they must have a specific mass and weight to do their job of providing support and rigidity. This goes with having a quality rucksack, of any brand. Some manufacturers still use aluminum stays. These can be better in some circumstances and do bend to conform to the curve of your back. However, they tend to weigh more than the plastic varieties.

Even if you compare this rucksack (Osprey) to other major makers, such as Deuter, Ferrino, the North Face, and many others, you will find they use pretty much the same support system. The biggest differences are usually in the back support panel system.

Some makers use a ribbed pad, alone, or under a webbed piece of fabric to enhance circulation. Others use a stiffly suspended piece of ventilated fabric in a trampoline sort of arrangement to suspend the pack from your back to provide a cushioned carry and ventilation. Some merely use a pad, covered in ventilated fabric.

Some of these choices are cost-driven. Others are performance-driven. In the end, the weight variance among the better rucksacks comes down to grams or a few ounces. What matters most, at least IMHO, is how the pack feels after 10 or 20 Km, over undulating or hilly terrain, in a range of weather.

I do believe that, after a few days on Camino, the "best rucksack" for you is the one that fits like a comfortable pair of old shoes or your favorite sweater (pull). You feel good hoisting it onto your back in the morning, and actually feel somewhat "naked" when you remove it at breaks and at the end of each day's walk.

THAT is how I know my Osprey Kestrel 48 liter pack is right for me. I need the volume to carry the stuff I require. This includes clothing, gear, and the extra nutritional supplements and medication I must carry for personal reasons. The back panel conforms perfectly to my back, shoulders and hips, the weight is relative, and I DO feel somewhat naked without the pack after a day's walk.

The one thing that puzzles me is that my Osprey Exos with 48l weight only 1130g (internal frame and all included) whilst the OPs backpack weights nearly 300g more but has only 26l. Buen Camino, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one thing that puzzles me is that my Osprey Exos with 48l weight only 1130g (internal frame and all included) whilst the OPs backpack weights nearly 300g more but has only 26l. Buen Camino, SY
probably an older model, or less expensive one. technology costs :)

The fabric may be thin but it has been plenty durable on our Camino this year. No signs of wear over the past 70 days since we left Le Puy. We carry our packs, though; not sure if my Exos would have stood up to Jacotrans handling or not, but I've been pleased with it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I went shopping for a new backpack recently. Barely had I uttered the word "Santiago" that the seller put an Osprey Exos 38 in my arms and told me I was good to go. New industry standard I guess. 870gr without the top compartment btw.

Yup, it's probably perfect for the Camino. You'd have to be more careful out on multi-day backpacking trips or scrambling over granite boulders.

The Exos was built to be Osprey's "ultralight" offering. The fabric is thin (and therefore lighter) and much less durable than other Osprey models.

So far my Exos has survived 1500km (Via de la Plata and Via Regia) and no damage at all. Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I believe I began with what I thought I wanted and imagined I might need, I now have what I really need but may not particularly want - it's been interesting to experience this transition.

That was very thorough and well written @t2andreo !!! Loved the rationale. Thanks!

I just want to back you up on one thing: Taller people must consider using larger backpacks...

I'm 1,96 tall and for any outdoor activity longer than a couple of days, choosing any backpacks smaller than 60L would be a TERRIBLE idea. Frameset just doesnt feel like it was made for you ( and they were actually not made for tall people!). It's almost impossible to find the sweet spot between supporting the weight in your shoulders vs hips.

I'll be choosing between one of my 60L to 70L options for my next Camino... I Prefer to have available room inside it than to have a pack that does not fit my height.

;):cool:

Which Osprey did you get? I can't think of any Osprey under 36L that weighs that much. My Osprey Kyte 46 weighs 1.6kg and is a lot bigger than your 26L.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Did you carry on your Exos 48 or did you check it? I really don't want to check my backpack, particularly from Dulles! Thanks.
I'm in the last week of our Le Puy to Santiago Camino and an Osprey Exos 48 has been just right for me.

Jo, I can't tell when you plan to walk, but if it will be in warm weather, you may want to plan on carrying more water; the 0.5k you allow for is only a pint. Over the past 70 or so days, I've seen a lot of serious dehydration, which can contribute to a lot of pilgrim maladies from heat stroke to blisters to tendonitis.

We carry two liters each (4 lbs) and usually drink every drop. There are places to refill your water, but we like to start with plenty.

Other than that, congratulation on what sounds like a great job of getting your pack weight and size down to a minimum.
you have any trouble g

Did you carry on your Exos 48 or did you check it? I really don't want to check my backpack, particularly from Dulles! Thanks.

you have any trouble g
find the dimensions for carry-on luggage for your airline, then do not pack your backpack over those limits. Try to stay well under the limits...if it's a full flight they start looking for the oversized/borderline luggage to pull. If not everything will fit in the pack and still stay under size limits, put the most easily replaced items into a checked bag (so if it gets lost and doesn't find you before you start, you can replace that item(s). For me, this meant wearing my shoes, putting my clothes in the pack, checking a suitcase with my sleeping bag, poles, knife, and post-camino clothes.
the frame on your pack is the limiting factor and probably is under the size restrictions. how much you stuff into the pack can put you over
edit: I personally would not tempt the TSA or Gate gods, especially at Dulles:eek:

buen camino

Last edited:
Packs are like boots, everybody has their own opinion.

I don't have an Osprey but it is the most common pack on the Camino so make sure you personalise yours otherwise you may have trouble finding it some days.

My trusty "Mont Sentinel 45" has seen two Caminos and over 1500 km and will be on my back for another one next April.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Which Osprey did you get? I can't think of any Osprey under 36L that weighs that much. My Osprey Kyte 46 weighs 1.6kg and is a lot bigger than your 26L.
My Osprey Talon 33 (actually 31 L in the smaller size) weighs only 900 g.

Your backpack is relatively light for it's construction. I guided for a living back when I Was young and dumb. I had a 7,000 cubic inch (115 liters) pack that weighed 7 pounds empty.
You're getting off easy. I've smartened up some.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I bought a bigger backpack after a few caminos. It turns out I'm stronger than my husband, though a bit smaller, so it's good to be able to take stuff from HIS backback until we can comfortably walk at the same speed.

My old Haglöf 48 l was fine; my new McKinley 60 l is better for our needs.

I've also bought myself a bigger and heavier sleeping bag. Since we only walk at the colder times of the year, it's nice to lie comfortably and be able to turn around inside the sleeping bag, instead of turning around WITH the bag.

This means that my regular pack including water is 6 - 7 kilos now, perhaps bit more on the days I carry a lot of food.

Good job!! I like your planning.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My 2-cents comments.

My wife and I did the Camino a couple of years ago. I had set a maximum weight goal (skin off) and allow some weight for daily snacks/food that I knew I was going to eventually carry.

After trying several packs at our local REI store, we picked the Gregory Jade Z38 for my wife and she absolutely liked it during the trip. It had good support and fit well plus it did not shifted while going around the muddy trails (Mid April-Early May).

I decided to go super light and chose the Golite Jam 50 which is a frameless pack where you use the contents to stiffen it. In my case I think I made a mistake and for a few more ounces I would have taken my Gregory Z40 which is similar to the Z38. The Golite lack of frame made it a bit cumbersome to carry and was not not as comfortable to use daily.

The Exos was built to be Osprey's "ultralight" offering. The fabric is thin (and therefore lighter) and much less durable than other Osprey models.
I love my Exos - 2 caminos, plus lots of local hikes over the past 3 years - It has a few stains, but no real signs of fatigue. More room in it that I needed on the Camino, but nice to be able to buy some gifts, and some 'civilian clothes' at the end and still get everything in for the flight home.

The lightest bags are more suitable to casual hikes and short day hikes. The heavier bags are more suitable to expedition and through hiking use.

My Z-pack Arc Blast with extra pockets weighs 0.62 kg, has a full frame, 50 liters capacity fully expanded, and was great on the Stevenson trail in France and Manaslu circuit in Nepal. Fully waterproof too.
Rather expensive, but I can attest that light weight does not equal flimsy or uncomfortable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Hi! Jo,
I'm in same boat, but my date has been set, leaving on March 20th 2017.
I was very lucky to see one of veteran member /Cherie who lives half an hour
away from my place thru this forum.
Since I met her my gear was replaced, poncho, liner plus sleeping bag and my pack.
Testing my gear, my BP,shoes on. Took longer than usual time on the trail due to the wt. of back pack, which was only 4kg, but this time around felt better than prior back pack testing.
At that time carrying BP reminded of me carrying my baby brother on my back and when I took off that pack I felt like I grew two inches taller, am still adjusting wt. and things to carry that I do need on the Camino as little as possible. I do intend carry my pack when walk.
Keep posting your progress,Jo!
Buen Camino
From CathyK.

I am on Camino Frances at the moment. I have became stronger every day as there is no way you can prepare for carrying your pack day in at out for 30+++ days. I have an Osprey 34L - the weight of the pack is one thing but what you put in it us another!! At least you can't overload a small pack! The main factor is your feet and your shoe comfort! Very best wishes!!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.