• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

BackPack Flight Covers

Frank66

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016 Camino Frances
September (2017) First stage of Camino Portugués
I'm already starting to think about the logistics of getting to my start point on the Camino. I sort of resigned myself to travelling by Eurostar to Paris, then Paris to Bayonne by rail as well. This was mainly because I was worried about the restrictions flying to Biarritz (Ryanair) would involve - backpack to big for carry on luggage but not secure enough to check in as hold luggage.
The rail option would add a day to my schedule and I wondered if any of you have had any experience with using back-pack tote bags. Something which would do the job of containing my rucksack (Osprey 50l) on the flight but which would fold down enough and be light enough to stow in my rucksack for the Camino itself.
Any advice gratefully received.
Ps Don't go until next May, and already becoming a Camino bore!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used one of those bags but it turned out to be dead weight. I ended up shipping it to Santiago with some other stuff.

Just the question I was thinking about. I have recently invested in an Aarn ‘pack’ and with the extra compartments it’s not going to be easy to check-in. What have other Aarn users used? I like Falcon’s idea of making my own lightweight nylon bag - might have to get the sewing machine out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@gracethepilgrim with my Aarn pack, I take off the front body packs, clip them together, and use them as a daypack to carry documents etc while travelling. They usually come with extra straps. It is not too hard to figure it out but there is a demonstration video. I then check in the main pack, having secured the waistband backwards around the pack and pulled the shoulder straps over the pack, and tightening everything. If you have one of the smaller packs, that you can take onboard, just separate the front body packs and use them as your "handbag".

And when I had poles that did not fit inside my pack I have thrown them, together with the pack, inside one of those large cheap woven plastic bags purchased from a $2 shop - making me officially a "bag lady".

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Haha, I don't leave until next May either, and am also a bore.
I'm glad you're already a bore . . . . was beginning to think it was just me o_O

Kanga - you’re the best! I had thought about taking the front pockets off but then worried if I’d get them back on correctly. The gut showed me how to connect them with the extra straps while I was in the shop.
Thanks, Grace

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@gracethepilgrim my memory is so hopeless these days I rely on my camera phone for everything - especially where I have parked the car! And if I have to disassemble and reassemble anything I take a "before" shot. Maybe that would work with the front pocket setup.

Here is a (terribly boring!) video of how to attach them:

I’m with you Kanga - my memory is also shocking. I took photos while I was in the store in Melbourne. They showed me how to make the balance pockets into a little backpack - such an awesome idea. I’ll have a few practises before I leave. (maybe a glass of red would help!) :)

@Frank66

just invest in a few rolls of cling film and wrap you backpack yourself. Then put a sticker on it with your name and address.

Ondo Ibili !
This is what I do, cling film wrap the bag at the airport and put a label inside the wrap with the flight details. I do the same in Santiago, buy some cling film at one of the small stores and wrap the pack before I check in. Has worked a treat so far.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last time I put my rucksack into a large sack (looked like a large dry sack) because I couldn't fit my sticks inside my rucksack to check in. Once in Spain I shipped it ahead with some other extraneous stuff. However, on the return journey it survived OK from Santiago to London Standstead but when I arrived at Glasgow - no luggage!! I thought i'd lost everything - and was happy that I had my credential and compostela with me in my hand luggage and there wasn't anything that couldn't be replaced that i'd checked in. A week later my luggage turned up - all neatly packed into a holdall - apparently the sack had got shredded and all my belongings - rucksack, poles, a book, sweatshirt and teeshirt that i'd bought in Santiago had all tumbled out and very kindly repackaged by the airport staff and sent on to me. Everything was still there :)

I'm still mulling over what to do when I leave this year, I have radicalised my packing and my sticks now fit in my rucksack but i'm still worried about the strappieness of the rucksack so i'll be very interested in other people's solutions on this thread.

I haven't noticed a wrapping service at Glasgow airport but if anyone knows whether there is one I would be grateful if you could let me know.

:)

I'm already starting to think about the logistics of getting to my start point on the Camino. I sort of resigned myself to travelling by Eurostar to Paris, then Paris to Bayonne by rail as well. This was mainly because I was worried about the restrictions flying to Biarritz (Ryanair) would involve - backpack to big for carry on luggage but not secure enough to check in as hold luggage.
The rail option would add a day to my schedule and I wondered if any of you have had any experience with using back-pack tote bags. Something which would do the job of containing my rucksack (Osprey 50l) on the flight but which would fold down enough and be light enough to stow in my rucksack for the Camino itself.
I found a (nice design)nylon laundry bag from our local bedding stores here. very cheap. Had a seamstress shorten it a bit and make a shoulder sling with the scrap piece of material. Good luck and Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Frank

I had exactly the same worries when I set off in March. I ended up travelling by various trains to Paris, Irun and
then Pamplona as I had lots of time. In the end I found it to be a nice way to unwind before I started.
On the way back I went by air, the rucksack ended up in the hold because of the poles and I had it sliced open
and my cameras taken ! Wished I'd had it shrink wrapped in Santiago. Had it not been for the poles I could
have carried it on as hand luggage.

I'm wondering what to do for my trip to Porto in September. I've only 16 days all told so a leisurely travel by train
isn't an option. As I've already booked a hotel for two nights in Porto, I'm considering posting my walking poles
to myself there and collecting on arrival. Or, if I was confident I could easily buy poles in Porto that would be an
option. Or get the sack shrink wrapped in Manchester airport if they have a machine. Blimey, a lot of decisions
to be made and all because walking poles are such lethal weapons to have on a plane.

Whatever you decide....... Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I bought a nylon laundry bag with s drawstring, measured it to the size of my backpack, took it to seamstress who cut it off and double-stitched it. Before I left for Spain, I sprayed the inside and out with permethrin (anti-bed bug spray). It folded up into an extremely small and lightweight square when it was not covering my pack (like at night or when transporting my bag on the bus from Madrid or train from Santiago.)

I bought a nylon laundry bag with s drawstring, measured it to the size of my backpack, took it to seamstress who cut it off and double-stitched it. Before I left for Spain, I sprayed the inside and out with permethrin (anti-bed bug spray). It folded up into an extremely small and lightweight square when it was not covering my pack (like at night or when transporting my bag on the bus from Madrid or train from Santiago.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What a wonderful idea and thanks so much for sharing. I leave in just over two weeks, had planned th de-bug my sleep liner and sleeping gear but the thought of being able to keep my backpack safe is just perfect. Off to the $2.- shop I go.

Hi Frank

I had exactly the same worries when I set off in March. I ended up travelling by various trains to Paris, Irun and
then Pamplona as I had lots of time. In the end I found it to be a nice way to unwind before I started.
On the way back I went by air, the rucksack ended up in the hold because of the poles and I had it sliced open
and my cameras taken ! Wished I'd had it shrink wrapped in Santiago. Had it not been for the poles I could
have carried it on as hand luggage.

I'm wondering what to do for my trip to Porto in September. I've only 16 days all told so a leisurely travel by train
isn't an option. As I've already booked a hotel for two nights in Porto, I'm considering posting my walking poles
to myself there and collecting on arrival. Or, if I was confident I could easily buy poles in Porto that would be an
option. Or get the sack shrink wrapped in Manchester airport if they have a machine. Blimey, a lot of decisions
to be made and all because walking poles are such lethal weapons to have on a plane.

Whatever you decide....... Buen Camino
Good luck with your Camino. I used cling film around my rucksac and had no problems.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Another option to consider is the Osprey Airporter pack bag, which folds up quite small (fist size). The small size will fit up to 50 Litre packs and for the "gram weenies" it weighs 350 grams. It is rugged enough to hold a pack and poles, and mine has withstood many trips in cargo holds. Cost is around A$40.

My recommendation.

My plan is to place our backpacks (with all the gear that will not make it through airport security) inside one of my military duffer bags (we Sailors call it a Sea Bag). Those bags will not break, one of my Sea Bags is from the mid 1970s with a lot of use on ships, and military and civilian flights. These duffer bags are easy to carry on your back (well, depending on the load). You can find them at your nearest military surplus store, or you can order online. At the same time you can have a set of dog tags made for about $7 dollars per set of two (at the military surplus store, or you can order online) with your name, your emergency point of contact and his/her phone information (I never leave home without my dog tags and right now I have two of them around my neck). This is how the duffer bag looks like:

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=919

Link to the dog tags: http://www.armysurplusworld.com/dogtag.asp

Sailor's Disclaimer: I have not ordered any products from this website, link provided to show what the duffer bag looks like plus there is some good information just below the photo.

Thank you.

Edit: The duffer bags are too heavy for the backpack, so, they will have to be shipped to Santiago (to be used during your return flight).

Last edited:

€46,-
My recommendation.

My plan is to place our backpacks (with all the gear that will not make it through airport security) inside one of my military duffer bags (we Sailors call it a Sea Bag). Those bags will not break, one of my Sea Bags is from the mid 1970s with a lot of use on ships, and military and civilian flights. These duffer bags are easy to carry on your back (well, depending on the load). You can find them at your nearest military surplus store, or you can order online. At the same time you can have a set of dog tags made for about $7 dollars per set of two (at the military surplus store, or you can order online) with your name, your emergency point of contact and his/her phone information (I never leave home without my dog tags and right now I have two of them around my neck). This is how the duffer bag looks like:

Sailor's Disclaimer: I have not ordered any products from this website, link provided to show what the duffer bag looks like plus there is some good information just below the photo.

Thank you.

Edit: The duffer bags are too heavy for the backpack, so, they will have to be shipped to Santiago (to be used during your return flight).

Sea Bags are like Sailors, They're Too big and Too heavy :D. You can secure all your straps then wrap you pack in plastic wrap and check in or you can purchase a cheap nylon duffel bag that just fits you pack and check it in. I use a ZPack, which attaches to my pack while trekking, as a shoulder bag for my carry on stuff. Buen Camino

Happy Trails HMCS USN RET

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ha, that was a good one. Hope to see you some day caminando to exchange a few sea stories. Buen Camino.

Sailor, USN, Retired
When are you starting your Camino?

Thinking about early April or early Oct 2016.
I'm shooting for mid April/May. Buen Camino Fair Winds and Following Seas

Happy Trails

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I haven't used or seen my seabag in years, I hated those things, I preferred the flyer kit bags myself.

Buy yourself a box of clear large garbage bags (the version you use to collect leaves, etc)

Take two, one for the trip over and one for trip back. When they folded up, they take a minimal of space in your pack

Keep the rest for later plane trips or use them in the garden

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Back in 2013 I bought a Dueter "backpack cover" - it has a two hand grips, is lockable and doubles as a rain cover. I will use it again in two weeks - it will hold my bike panniers securely for the plane and train from Sydney to Madrid and Pamplona. It also folds up into a very small pack. But I like the idea of the red/blue/white carry bags that Kanga uses. Cheers

My recommendation.

Thank you.

Thanks for bringing up dog tags! I had two made. One for my pack which had my name and telephone number and one that I wore around my neck with my name and an emergency contact person in the U.S. & their phone # in case I became incapacitated somehow.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for bringing up dog tags! I had two made. One for my pack which had my name and telephone number and one that I wore around my neck with my name and an emergency contact person in the U.S. & their phone # in case I became incapacitated somehow.
Another good idea! I like the idea of having a dog tag with name and phone number on the backpack.

@Frank66

Don´t you have those guys at the airport which wrap you suitcases,bags and even back packs in cling film? If not just invest in a few rolls of cling film and wrap you backpack yourself. Then put a sticker on it with your name and address.

Ondo Ibili !
That's what I was thinking of doing, as the airport I leave from (Phuket International) has one of those wrapping services. I can wrap up the whole pack, poles and all. :)

Just the question I was thinking about. I have recently invested in an Aarn ‘pack’ and with the extra compartments it’s not going to be easy to check-in. What have other Aarn users used? I like Falcon’s idea of making my own lightweight nylon bag - might have to get the sewing machine out.

Hi Grace, as a long term Aarn tragic (through the good, bad & developing years), I ended up with a kayaker's Dry Bag that I managed to lock (PacSafe have one with a steel cable that you can thread through tabs: PacSafeLock) and then shrink wrap. Probably overkill but it gets there. Don't forget to put the pockets IN the bag as I've had an issue before I perfected my system with rough handling and one of the metal stays came through all the wrapping. The dry bag then became a liner for the pack.

Please note on my profile pic the still upright position at the end of my Camino Frances - Aarn packs will do that for you :):D ..and before anyone says anything, yes, they are fiddly but I love them and they suit me. besides, I had many pilgrims after knocking them, trying to copy the pocket system when they saw just how handy it was.

Quick tip - and I may be preaching to the converted, forgive me - the pack does tend to to hold water so I spray mine with one of the outdoor water proofer. This works well combined with a backpack cover such as the lightweight one that I used on my Camino: ZPacks. Has survived trips to Tassie and PNG.

Buen Camino!

I bought a mesh laundry bag for $1 and it has survived 4 flights and kept my straps and pack protected. It also came in handy for laundry!

Yes, a mesh laundry bag is what a Camino friend of mine suggested--wrapped with some duct tape. I'm still deciding what I want to do as well, Frank. And I'm also starting in May! Perhaps our paths will cross.

I'm shooting for late April or early May as well! Sounds like there will be several of us from this forum!

The IKEAbag mentioned above is excellent and cheeper than the wrapping in Spanish airport. I bring it with me on the camino and put my bp into it during the night to protect it against bedbugs. If I loose it its not a big deal. All my expensive backpackcovers rest in peace at home.

I haven't read all the suggestions above, sorry if this has already been mentioned...I use a veterinary body bag, they are made from very tough plastic(I work in the industry but you could easily go to a vet clinic and ask for one, they come in various sizes) and use duct tape (again, from work :) ah, the perks!) I wind all the straps and bundle the pack in and tape it up, with the little hoist handle (osprey pack) on the top of the back of the pack poking through, cut a hope and reinforce with tape, so you can grasp the pack for carrying. You can pack another body bag and some tape in your pack for the return journey in case the original gets damaged on the way over or when being removed.

Last edited:
I’m with you Kanga - my memory is also shocking. I took photos while I was in the store in Melbourne. They showed me how to make the balance pockets into a little backpack - such an awesome idea. I’ll have a few practises before I leave. (maybe a glass of red would help!) :)
I also have the Aarn pack, thanks to your recommendation Kanga and love it! I am also going to make the two front pockets into a sort of "handbag" while travelling on plane. I bought a cover for the pack which is brilliant. It is an osprey Airporter LZ, comes in 3 sizes, the small one takes up to 50 lt pack I think. It is very lightweight yet strong and folds up quite small, will be no problem carrying with me on the Camino. I leave in 3 weeks... Getting excited!

Have a look at the Osprey Airporter LZ it is exactly what you need. It is strong lightweight and compact when not on use. It comes in 3 sizes, I think the small size will take up to a 50lt pack. I bought one and am very happy with it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Security may want to inspect the pack contents, so anything that does not have a zipper or drawstring opening will be cut open!:)

True, so far so good...I guess they think there's something dead in there, nah, seriously, I haven't had a problem yet but there may be a first time.

Hi Frank I flew from stansted to biarittz in April using Ryanair. I used gaffer tape to secure the straps of rucksack and also wrapped tape from top to bottom and round a few times so it could not be opened and side pockets were secure. On check in it was put into a small box for transfer into the hold. Also there was a company offering cling film wrap at Santiago airport on way back....didn't bother as no problems on way out. No damage to rucksack. No evidence that the tape was tampered with either..cheep and cheerful worked for me. Buen camino

I'm glad you're already a bore . . . . was beginning to think it was just me o_O
Those of us not leaving until spring of 2016 have many questions... much excitement... and yes... we may be a bit boring. If that is so... just embrace it :)
Starting my Camino in March 2016.
Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We had our packs wrapped in cling wrap at the Melbourne airport, and again in London to come home. Any idea is a good one compared to the alternative...we met a man on the Camino who had one of his back pack straps cut off by baggage handlers when it became tangled with other luggage. Was a nightmare for him to have it repaired to begin his walk!

Those of us not leaving until spring of 2016 have many questions... much excitement... and yes... we may be a bit boring. If that is so... just embrace it :)
Starting my Camino in March 2016.
Buen Camino!
Never boring, just feel very envious!
Buen Camino

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested as I haven't had time to read this entire thread, but you can also wrap your pack at the airport in that plastic wrap type of stuff. Or, you can do what a friend of mine did which was to buy a cheap suitcase from a second-hand store that she ditched at the airport once she arrived in Madrid. We bought proper backpack sacks from MEC in Canada and we are planning to ship them ahead to Santiago, along with our other post-camino-week-in-Paris stuff.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Rather than carry an extra bag all the way across Spain, I would put my pack in a cardboard box or in a plastic garbage bag with duct tape for the flight, and then discard the wrappings.
I've been pondering how to safely check my backpack for flying. I see people's suggestions of cling film wrapping, putting in various bags. I like the simplicity of your approach. Having not experience this yet. I have these questions. Won't security, wanting to examine your baggage, rip through wrapping or bags to inspect? How do you or the check-in person securely attach a baggage tag to a garbage bag or cling film? How does this work? I sure want to see my backpack come off the carousel when I get to the airport in Spain.

Won't security, wanting to examine your baggage, rip through wrapping or bags to inspect?
I suppose that could be a risk. I think locks can be broken for that purpose. But the wrapping is intended just to keep the straps from getting caught up in the conveyor devices. (Actually I have always just tightened straps and tucked them in and loaded it onto the conveyor with no further fanfare.) I expect the inspectors would still replace my stuff in my intact pack after they finish whatever inspection they might do! It just might have the external plastoc/paper wrapping ripped up. Put a normal tag on the backpack and then tape a paper label on the wrapper the same as a package or box you might put in the mail.

P.S. Isn't luggage more typically x-rayed rather than opened? In theory they reserve the right to do anything but I don't think many bags are opened.

I don´t know where you´re from but in many countries round the world at airport there ´s a service which wrap your baggage ( suitcases or back packs) with cling film. I you find this service too expensive for you you can do it yourself.

You need two rolls of cling film . On your back pack you have a little loop at the top on your backside. cut the cling film to get this loop out. You can put any name tag on it. you can also put a piece of paper with your own details on the backpack before you wrap it. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Regarding airport inspection they use x ray machines. They will only open up your baggage if they see something suspicious like a headlight with the batteries in place . Just leave the batteries out of the headlight, set it up once you get to your destination.

Hope this clarifies all your doubts if not do post again.

Ondo Ibili !
Thanks so much for your reply. The details of your response is giving me the picture of how this works. Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I suppose that could be a risk. I think locks can be broken for that purpose. But the wrapping is intended just to keep the straps from getting caught up in the conveyor devices. (Actually I have always just tightened straps and tucked them in and loaded it onto the conveyor with no further fanfare.) I expect the inspectors would still replace my stuff in my intact pack after they finish whatever inspection they might do! It just might have the external plastoc/paper wrapping ripped up. Put a normal tag on the backpack and then tape a paper label on the wrapper the same as a package or box you might put in the mail.

P.S. Isn't luggage more typically x-rayed rather than opened? In theory they reserve the right to do anything but I don't think many bags are opened.
Thanks for your response. I recognize you andyour frequent responses in the forum. Thank you for your participation and advise for us first timers.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.