• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack for skinny woman over 50?

audge

Time of past OR future Camino
june 2013
Lightweight but still comfortable.
I know there are many discussions about backpacks, but I am having the hardest time finding the right pack for my bony hips, and thin frame and haven't seen this particular need.
I am 5'5, , 115 lbs and measure as a medium size in REI. I have some knee issues and want to go as light as possible. The challenge is all the lightweight packs don't have enough padding for my shoulders and hips and the more padded packs are heavy and often pull the body weight back.
I am now looking at the Gregory J38 and the Osprey Kite 36. I will be going back to spend more time with those two and would love to hear any experience people with a similar frame have had with either of those or any others. I have an Osprey Sirrus 36 that I have not used, but the center of gravity seems to pull way back. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I just haven't found "The One". I am willing to go a little smaller to the weight down and the comfort up. Sept/Oct Camino, coming up soon! Any other skinny, frailish older women out there?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You are about the same size as my wife. She had 2 previous backpacks that she said were ok, and used them both a lot. She just recently got the Gregory J38 and she says it is the best pack ever. We've been using it on our training hikes, getting ready for the Fall.

Good luck.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Go smaller and lighter with the Gregory J28.
http://www.rei.com/product/866177/gregory-j28-pack-womens

I went with the Gregory Z30, I found it was the lightest framed pack with mesh back panel, along with decent padding in shoulder straps with a full width padded hip belt. The J28 is worth a look.

Last edited:
Hi, have you tried the youth models? They will be as well padded as the adult packs but cinch tighter around the hips - and the shoulder straps might be a bit nearer to get a better fit. The lighter the load the smaller pack you need and the less padding, as there will be less weight resting on the hips. Have you already tried lightweight packs like the Osprey Tempest - they do a 30 litre female specific lightweight pack in a size XS/S which might work? It is not heavily padded but the padding has flexibility if that helps, it keeps the weight closer to your back than the Sirrus and it weighs only about 750 grammes. Good luck with your search, I hope you find your perfect Camino pack!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know there are many discussions about backpacks, but I am having the hardest time finding the right pack for my bony hips, and thin frame and haven't seen this particular need.
I am 5'5, , 115 lbs and measure as a medium size in REI. I have some knee issues and want to go as light as possible. The challenge is all the lightweight packs don't have enough padding for my shoulders and hips and the more padded packs are heavy and often pull the body weight back.
I am now looking at the Gregory J38 and the Osprey Kite 36. I will be going back to spend more time with those two and would love to hear any experience people with a similar frame have had with either of those or any others. I have an Osprey Sirrus 36 that I have not used, but the center of gravity seems to pull way back. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I just haven't found "The One". I am willing to go a little smaller to the weight down and the comfort up. Sept/Oct Camino, coming up soon! Any other skinny, frailish older women out there?
I think I fit this description too! Ive got a North face 32 casimir for women, have been out training with it and its good so far

My novia had the same problem and never did find a perfect pack. Most people who saw her in June attempted to help her adjust her lopsided pack with no luck. She tried 4 or 5 different packs before going and her best pick was just not good enuff for constant hiking even though it seemed OK for practice hikes at home . After finishing our hike to Santiago and going to Madrid, she found a great Quechua pack in Madrid but did not buy it as we thought she could buy one in the US--Nope! Going to have to find her something that fits but not sure where. We are going to Canada in a few weeks and hope that we might find Quechuas in Montreal.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We have used Berghaus packs, the new ones have shoulder height adjusters as well as back length adjustment and the front pull-up adjusting strap. They are almost impossible to fit well and tend to ease back. Our old packs had simple pull adjustment at the front for the shoulder straps, fixed back length and were easy to fit. Sometimes simple is best. The waist straps are now also far too long - a comment made elsewhere too. We plan now to use the new packs for practise and keep our trusted well fitting packs for the Camino, if treated carefully they have life left in them. Easy if you already have equipment but hard if you are having to buy new.

@audge Having said all that they are fairly lightweight packs and might fit you well.

I am a very short in the legs, long in the torso 5'4" 52 year old femme. I have very narrow shoulders, a little wider in the hips. Try the Deuter. They make pack frame sheets and harnesses specifically for women. Lots of padding and well built. I've used a lot of backpacks and the Deuter ACT Lite is probably the best built pack for women I have used. I have the ACT Lite 35+10. It rocks. In fact I bought it in Leon when I traded in my bicycle for a pair of walking shoes 2 years ago.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Are you sure it's adjusted right?

This was the first thing that came to my mind. I don't have the Osprey Sirrus 36 (I understand it is designed specifically for women) but it seems likely that you have not adjusted the compression straps, which would hold the pack closer to you. The compression straps are not the usual obvious external compression straps of other packs. This is the description of them from the Eastern Mountain Supply website:

Upper straps and InsideOut compression straps (which can be routed externally or internally through the side pockets) help secure your gear, minimize pack volume, and improve load stability.

Also, it is likely that your adjustments of waist belt, shoulder straps and chest strap are not done correctly if the pack is pulling you backwards. Is the middle of the waist belt running exactly across the top of the highest part of your pelvic bone? Are the shoulder straps pulled down so the curve of the strap exactly matches the curve of your shoulder? That adjustment should be gentle, but precise. Are you using the chest strap? That holds the shoulder straps in place and stabilizes the pack load. The chest strap adjustment should also be gentle, but precise. You might want to take the loaded pack back to REI, so they can help you with adjustment issues.

It could also be that this pack just does not fit your body well, no matter what the adjustment, and another pack is better suited. If so, that should be done in a reputable store, such as REI, with heavy consultation from a highly knowledgeable salesperson.

The amount of weight being carried on the Camino (I prefer lighter loads) should not be enough to pull a well adjusted pack out of alignment.

Thanks for all of these suggestions and I am looking into them. The Sirrus I have is fitted correctly, it just has a natural bow back shape more than others which makes me lean forward more than I would like. The Aarn packs look really interesting and I have looked into those before. I love the front carry pockets. There is just no way to try them on anywhere. I am thinking about going even smaller into the J28 size, or going with the J36 which s the best feeling so far. I am loving all of these suggestions. Keep em coming. And I hope others with my shape can get some inspiration here. I have tried packs for months and am getting closer to finding something.

I carried an ancient (40+ years old) Rivendell ski touring pack, about49l I believe that I love and still loved at the end. I'm 68 years old, weighed 127 lbs at the start and 117 in Santiago Reason I'm writing though is that I made microfiber towel covers for the padded shoulder straps, and put my fleece open ended mittens on the padded waist belt for extra softness. You might try this with any backpack you end up with - it helped a lot. I also put Compeed on the sore spot on my hip bone where the seam on my shorts' pocket, my hip bone and the waist strap all collided! That helped a lot too.

Attachments

• IMG_2013 Me at Santiago marker near San Payo.jpg
    IMG_2013 Me at Santiago marker near San Payo.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for starting this thread. I am still deciding on a pack as well. I'm shy of 50, though not by much, and dealing with foot and knee issues that make me scared of carrying any extra weight. Right now I've got a Deuter ACT lite 45+10 that's very comfortable and padded, but weighs in at over 3 pounds. I, too, have been trying to balance weight and comfort. The Osprey lightweight packs (Tempest, I think, and other similar) worry me because of lack of padding. Interesting to read these suggestions and keep considering.

OK folks, after spending time in REI walking around I REALLY wanted to come home with the Gregory J38 and even tried the J28. But for some reason my back and the shape of the gap between the back didn't work. I came home with the Osprey KYTE. It hugs my back better and feel good. I will try it for a week and let you know how it goes. It's still not great, but I need to find something soon. I may take the plunge and order an Aarn pack online if this doesn't work....The Sirrus that I have is just the wrong fit, though I love the pack. The guys in the store agreed. I love the idea of putting some fleece or wool padding on the hip belt no matter what pack I have.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My novia had the same problem and never did find a perfect pack. Most people who saw her in June attempted to help her adjust her lopsided pack with no luck. She tried 4 or 5 different packs before going and her best pick was just not good enuff for constant hiking even though it seemed OK for practice hikes at home . After finishing our hike to Santiago and going to Madrid, she found a great Quechua pack in Madrid but did not buy it as we thought she could buy one in the US--Nope! Going to have to find her something that fits but not sure where. We are going to Canada in a few weeks and hope that we might find Quechuas in Montreal.
I think that they are generally a brand in Europe ... I have not seen them here in Canada. But do a google search. I thought that they were pretty much the Decathalon house brand.

I have the Gregory Sage... I like it well enough. Have learnt how to pack, light bottom, heaveybmiddle, light on top. And because I have space does not mean that I need to fill it!

Thanks for starting this thread. I am still deciding on a pack as well. I'm shy of 50, though not by much, and dealing with foot and knee issues that make me scared of carrying any extra weight. Right now I've got a Deuter ACT lite 45+10 that's very comfortable and padded, but weighs in at over 3 pounds. I, too, have been trying to balance weight and comfort. The Osprey lightweight packs (Tempest, I think, and other similar) worry me because of lack of padding. Interesting to read these suggestions and keep considering.
The Deuter at 3+ lbs is actually very light for a pack with that much padding and suspension. There are lighter packs but not with that kind of harness and suspension. Deuter has done an amazing job of it. I now use a Golite Jam 50. Padding and adjustment is almost nil. It's very light but there is always compromise.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I tried the tempest and as light as it was, just didn't have enough padding. Now I have a Sirrus 36 and a Kyte 36 and I do believe the Sirrus will win out. Both have features I love (wish I could mold them together) and within the next two weeks will make a final decision as I'm leaving on Sept 9th for the Camino Frances

I tried the tempest and as light as it was, just didn't have enough padding. Now I have a Sirrus 36 and a Kyte 36 and I do believe the Sirrus will win out. Both have features I love (wish I could mold them together) and within the next two weeks will make a final decision as I'm leaving on Sept 9th for the Camino Frances

I have the exact 2 packs. I like the sirrus better, but it just doesn't fit at all against my back. I am between a small and med. I just discovered a company out of Oregon, Hikelite, they have some packs that look interesting called HIKELITE.COM - http://www.hikelight.com/assets/images/products/klymit/1810-2.png
I leave on the 27th of this month, exactly 3 weeks! Yikes, I never thought it would be so hard to find a pack that works for me. I took a walk in my new Osprey Kyte today and my shoulders hurt.....even with most of the weight on my hips....I am determined to find my pack soon!

I had the same problem before I went in 2012, only my problem was my very curved back that no packs seemed to accommodate. Until two days before I left, when in desperation I ordered a brand new version of the Osprey Aura 35 and it fit like a glove!
If you like the Kyte but it hurts your shoulders, are you sure you have pulled the tension straps/load lifters enough? I apologise if this is old news to you, and with all your pack research it probably is, but even on the road I kept on pulling people's tension straps for them and receiving baffled looks and grateful smiles. It is the forgotten strap it seems, even though it can make all the difference to the carrying comfort by pulling the weight closer to your body, increasing stability, and also lifting the shoulder straps off the shoulders so the weight doesn't rest on them. When you clip on the chest strap then, the shoulder straps will act like a harness keeping the pack from falling backwards without weighing you down. I have problems with tight and painful shoulders and this makes all the difference.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had the same problem before I went in 2012, only my problem was my very curved back that no packs seemed to accommodate. Until two days before I left, when in desperation I ordered a brand new version of the Osprey Aura 35 and it fit like a glove!
If you like the Kyte but it hurts your shoulders, are you sure you have pulled the tension straps/load lifters enough? I apologise if this is old news to you, and with all your pack research it probably is, but even on the road I kept on pulling people's tension straps for them and receiving baffled looks and grateful smiles. It is the forgotten strap it seems, even though it can make all the difference to the carrying comfort by pulling the weight closer to your body, increasing stability, and also lifting the shoulder straps off the shoulders so the weight doesn't rest on them. When you clip on the chest strap then, the shoulder straps will act like a harness keeping the pack from falling backwards without weighing you down. I have problems with tight and painful shoulders and this makes all the difference.
Yup, tension straps pulled all the way as well as tried at many angles........hmmm I haven't tried the Aura, maybe that'll be next. Thanks.

Hi,
I, too, have a slim frame (5'7", 59 kgs) and have used all three main contenders: Aarn, Gregory and Osprey. I did the Camino Frances with the Aarn and the Mozarabe/via de la Plata/Sanabres with the Gregory. I loved my Aarn pack and found it the most comfortable in terms of load distribution. However, it was an older model and lacked any kind of meaningful hip belt padding, so I used my towell. Upon returning home I had the cobbler sew a thin pad of leather-covered foam onto each side and this helped. Someone recommended I try the Gregory, so I thought to use it on my second Camino. After having walked about two weeks, I found that the Gregory hip belt did not provide quite enough padding, but the addition of two pads of thin foam fixed that problem. Likewise under the shoulder straps. These two adjustments 'took up the slack' so to speak. I would say that the Gregory performed well enough for the approximately 1200 kilometres. However, it is not as adjustable as my new Osprey which has a 'floating' hip belt which allows for an additional piece of padding to be extended from behind the buckle on each side - all built in. This is great for those of us with little by way of natural padding. All in all, I would probably recommend the Aarn, followed by the Osprey - but that is a personal preference based on my own particular body. Good luck!

€83,-
Hi,
I, too, have a slim frame (5'7", 59 kgs) and have used all three main contenders: Aarn, Gregory and Osprey. I did the Camino Frances with the Aarn and the Mozarabe/via de la Plata/Sanabres with the Gregory. I loved my Aarn pack and found it the most comfortable in terms of load distribution. However, it was an older model and lacked any kind of meaningful hip belt padding, so I used my towell. Upon returning home I had the cobbler sew a thin pad of leather-covered foam onto each side and this helped. Someone recommended I try the Gregory, so I thought to use it on my second Camino. After having walked about two weeks, I found that the Gregory hip belt did not provide quite enough padding, but the addition of two pads of thin foam fixed that problem. Likewise under the shoulder straps. These two adjustments 'took up the slack' so to speak. I would say that the Gregory performed well enough for the approximately 1200 kilometres. However, it is not as adjustable as my new Osprey which has a 'floating' hip belt which allows for an additional piece of padding to be extended from behind the buckle on each side - all built in. This is great for those of us with little by way of natural padding. All in all, I would probably recommend the Aarn, followed by the Osprey - but that is a personal preference based on my own particular body. Good luck!
Which Osprey do you have? And which Aarn?

Hi, Audge. The cheap fix for hip belts that dig into your hips: go to an auto parts store and buy a $10 sheep's fleece cover that's meant for the shoulder part of a seat belt. Cut it in half and -- voila! -- you have fantastic natural padding for your hip belt. Perfect length and width, too. It makes SUCH a difference! No need for a cobbler to make you anything.

So, I have narrowed my choice down to the Aarn Marathon Magic 33 and the Osprey Kyte 36. I have them both and will return one. I am wanting to take the Aarn, but having trouble with pressure and weight pressing on my lower back/sacrum. If I can figure out how to adjust it better (there are many nuances to adjusting the aarn) I will take it as I love the pack. If not, the Osprey Kyte is pretty comfy. And I like that it is closer to the body. If any of you Aarn people out there have any advice, please feel free.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi - My Camino is next May and I will be 70 and also am small. I am hoping to get everything I need in my Gregory J28. Between age and osteoporosis and one thing or another I just can't carry that much. My legs are fairly strong but my back not. Wondering if anyone else has used a pack this small?

I'm younger but similar frame and also have a knee problem.
I have an XS size Osprey Tempest 40 (which in XS is actually 38 liters).
Still haven't walked the camino with it, only shorter trails, but I am very happy with it. Keeps the weight very well-balanced and is comfortable.
The most important thing (to me) is that it rests well on your hips and they carry the weight. The shoulders should hardly do any work (once hiking I unloosed the hip strap to let my upper body breath for just 15 minutes, boy did I regret it later when my shoulders were aching the next day). Honestly carrying about 6-7 kg's I hardly feel it at all.

You should try the Osprey Aura AG 50. The Aura is designed specifically for women. The AG frame is new this year. The Atmos, the men's version, rides like a dream. It's a little bigger than you might want, but the added weight is no big deal. Like 5 oz. unconditionally the most comfortable backpack I've ever owned, worn or test drove.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Think about it. The Camino is an intelligence test, not a physical test. On our Camino in 2014, we were surprised how many people do NOT carry packs--taxis carry their suitcases /packs. And yes, you will see many suitcases--some people have four or five stuffed into their daily taxi.

As one young very intelligent woman told me, "I only get a Compostella if I get to Santiago. My pack does not get one--- so it can ride."

And my Novia finally found a pack that fits. If we do something in 2015 that is so Evil that we need to do another Camino, we may be walking it with her new pack next year. She bought an Osprey; I just bought a decent pack for me at a yard sale for $1 US.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back