• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack Help!!

Loretta S

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Frances 2019
Frances 2022
My husband and I begin our first Camino at the end of August. I purchased the Osprey Sirrus 36L (it can be returned). I went in with my husband to look at backpacks for him and we had a different clerk who strongly discouraged the Sirrus/Stratus and steered us to the Farpoint 40. The Farpoint 40 has greater volume and weighs less. It opens like a suitcase making it easier to access items. Downside are fewer pockets, clasps etc. and no rain guard. We are not campers. We will not be bringing sleeping bags, just liners. We will buy walking sticks upon arrival in St. Jean. HELP. Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What ever is lighter and has a more comfortable feel. Mich more important than the little trinkets.

Hello Loretta, I own a Sirrus 36 and have used it for two Caminos. It is a popular pack among other women on the Camino. The back suspension allows some airflow across the back which is a big plus in warmer weather. What were the things that you liked about it when you bought it? Did it feel comfortable carrying it loaded? The Sirrus 36 is a very adequate size so you or your husband would not need to go larger.

I have not seen the Fairpoint in person but on the Osprey website it appears to handle like a suitcase when not used for trekking as you said, and in fact weighs slightly more than the Sirrus.

It is very common to second guess our all of our gear. I cannot count how many packs I tried and returned before feeling confident with my Sirrus. In fact, it was actually my first choice, I bought one then returned it before finally deciding that it really was the right one. So, what you are feeling is very normal.

Now since you are helping your husband let him decide which pack feels good on him. The Stratus certainly is a good place to start, and you choose your Sirrus for good reason.

Another note, you have done your research on the Camino so you have an understanding of your needs. Not every sales person has even heard of the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Loretta, I walked the CF using a Stratos 34 last year and for me it was perfect, and my girlfriend has a new Sirrus 36 for when we walk it in a few weeks time. I agree with Sparrows comments. (You will need a rain guard, just incase.)

While not as crucial as shoes, a pack has to fit you. My wife and I chose very different packs. Not because one is better than the other, but because those were the ones that felt the most comfortable. A feature you may not care about is not a reason to choose one pack over the other.....go for fit.

Buen Camino

I agree. I pack that fits well is much more important than the pack's weight. 36 liters is a good size, before I picked out my pack size I got all of my other gear together and measured its approximate volume and bought a pack that would fit all the gear. My pack is smaller and many people us a larger pack. Still I think 36 is a good size and Osprey is a very popular brand that I also happen to use. Definitely bring a waterproof pack cover which you can buy separately if the pack does not come with one.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My husband and I begin our first Camino at the end of August. I purchased the Osprey Sirrus 36L (it can be returned). I went in with my husband to look at backpacks for him and we had a different clerk who strongly discouraged the Sirrus/Stratus and steered us to the Farpoint 40. The Farpoint 40 has greater volume and weighs less. It opens like a suitcase making it easier to access items. Downside are fewer pockets, clasps etc. and no rain guard. We are not campers. We will not be bringing sleeping bags, just liners. We will buy walking sticks upon arrival in St. Jean. HELP. Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

The Farpoint is a category of backpack known as a 'travel' backpack. It is designed for easy commercial transport when you are traveling, and is meant for quick 'getaways' with an eye to replacing a weekender-style suitcase. It is a chimera, a mish-mash designed to do light walking with suitcase-like living.

Go to a different recreational outdoor supply store and find a salesperson who will quit pushing their store inventory and who will accurately assess your individual needs, understands how to properly fit a pack (clue: you HAVE to be measured for both length and waist sizes. Nothing else will adequately work for fitting). The Farpoint won't do what a pack like the Sirrus will do, which is to comfortably carry a load, within its weight limits, for a long multi-day/week/month hike.

There are a goodly number of lightweight, comfortable backpacks. Osprey is only one manufacturer. If none of the Osprey's 'feel' right, go on to a different manufacturers backpacks. Do not be timid about taking your time both in the store (load 20 pounds and walk the store for 30 minutes, up and down stairs if available), and out of the store. Make sure the store has a decent return policy if you find the pack not to your liking while on practice hikes.

If you have other questions, feel free to post them or PM me.

My pack is a 28 Liter Jade and it's plenty big, especially if you aren't taking a sleeping bag!
40 Liter is way too big for the Camino in my opinion.

Size doesn’t matter but ;);) - mine is a 55l Aarn and I love it.
Travelling as far as we do from Aus/NZ (and most likely having a few days shopping after camino) it needs to have some ‘free air’ to fill up. Air weighs nothing.

So my advice is to care less about the actual pack size/weight and more about the comfort.

Like the shoe debate, there are as many packs as people. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I see you want to walk in September @Loretta S in that case I would reconsider bring a (light) sleeping bag as not all albergues have blankets and it can get cold, especially in the mountains, for example in O Cebreiro.

As for backpack, the one that is the most comfortable one to carry (try out when loaded, not empty) is the right one for you, a few 100g more or less and the volume (with in reason) are secondary.

Buen Camino, SY

A couple of GearHead thoughts:

1. Where does your water go? If you like hydration packs, can you put it in the back zipper panel that hides the shoulder straps? I don't see outside pockets for water bottles in the photos online. Where do food/snacks go?
2. Don't see an outside mesh pocket, which are great for sudden rainstorms when you need to grab your jacket fast. Also handy for dirty socks and snacks...but not at the same time.
3. It's almost a full pound heavier than the Osprey Tempest 40 (my current favorite) and other brands/styles.
4. A similar pack with the full wrap zip but outside pockets and water capability is the Marmot Graviton. Weighs 2 pounds 4 ounces and can use either hydration system or water bottles in outside pockets. The Graviton also comes in a women's specific pack so the shoulders and hips are cut to fit a woman's body. Would love to read a review on this pack.

A lifetime ago, I traveled in Europe with a similar Kelty suitcase/backpack combo. I thought I'd switch it out of backpack mode to suitcase as I went into hotels. Of course, that never happened and it stayed in backpack mode as I carried the extra weight of the panel for the straps, heavier material, etc. As previous writers have said, fit is paramount. But weight is huge, too. Your feet will thank you if you pack lighter.

The Camino isn't a backpacking trip but it's not a hotel vacation, either. A functional hiking pack makes it a lot more comfortable so you can enjoy the walk. Have fun planning!

I have the osprey farpoint and the osprey kyte. For hiking I would always use the kyte, it fits better and the extras that come with it make life easier on the trail. Iv never tried the sirrus so I can't comment on that specific bag.

The farpoint isn't as comfortable IMO walking 4-5 hours each day but is fine for going to the airport and dropping off at the hostel when you reach your destination.

It's really your choice though what bag you use but I think there is a reason that not a lot of people uses the farpoint while hiking, I know that after walking about for about an hour with the farpoint weighing about 7-8kgs my shoulders were starting to feel the strain.

I hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
These were all VERY helpful comments. I am going to stick with my Sirrus. I love the pockets and clasps which make water, jackets, snacks, etc more accessible while walking. And, yes it is comfortable on. I guess the salesperson just spooked me and had me second guessing myself. Thanks for your helpful advice. And, I did hear somewhere that size doesn't matter.;)

I see you want to walk in September @Loretta S in that case I would reconsider bring a (light) sleeping bag as not all albergues have blankets and it can get cold, especially in the mountains, for example in O Cebreiro.

As for backpack, the one that is the most comfortable one to carry (try out when loaded, not empty) is the right one for you, a few 100g more or less and the volume (with in reason) are secondary.

Buen Camino, SY
I was thinking of wearing leggings and my long sleeve shirt if we find ourselves without a blanket. Will that suffice? Also, we will be alternating albergues with private rooms/hotels.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Late September early October Camino walking various CF stages over a number of years, we never needed sleeping bags. Our silk liners and albergue blankets were enough. At Orisson I remember it was a bit chilly, I put on a lightweight fleece.

And, I did hear somewhere that size doesn't matter.
An interesting idea. Don't expect to fit 40 li of gear into a 30 li pack. There is a limit to how much you can squash in to any pack, and the tighter you pack, the more difficult it will be to both pack and then get at things you need during the day.

We went from 65L backpacks to this year ...a 38L Osprey Kestrel and me a 48L. It comes with side opening as well as the top. It has a separate compartment for either your sleeping bag or footwear depending on you. It has it's own integrated rain cover and it is light weight . It has an outside net pouch , a place for a water camel (side opening) , quick release trekking pole straps and more. We love them.

Buen Camino !!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We went from 65L backpacks to this year ...a 38L Osprey Kestrel and me a 48L. It comes with side opening as well as the top. It has a separate compartment for either your sleeping bag or footwear depending on you. It has it's own integrated rain cover and it is light weight . It has an outside net pouch , a place for a water camel (side opening) , quick release trekking pole straps and more. We love them.

Buen Camino !!!
We'll look into the Kestrel. Sounds like the best of both. Thanks.

I was thinking of wearing leggings and my long sleeve shirt if we find ourselves without a blanket. Will that suffice? Also, we will be alternating albergues with private rooms/hotels.
Are you taking a sleeping bag liner? You really need one, while the sleeping bag at that time of the year you may consider going without. With the liner, those cloathes sould do it for bed time.

And yes, some albergues have private rooms, look for that information on the Ersoki site, on their website. But often, it is the same price for two people to book into a pension, or just a bit more, than for two beds in an albergue. This also makes two beds more available in albergues for others.

Are you taking a sleeping bag liner? You really need one, while the sleeping bag at that time of the year you may consider going without. With the liner, those cloathes sould do it for bed time.

And yes, some albergues have private rooms, look for that information on the Ersoki site, on their website. But often, it is the same price for two people to book into a pension, or just a bit more, than for two beds in an albergue. This also makes two beds more available in albergues for others.
Yes, we had thought of doing pensions as well. We have silk/polyester? bag liners.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I decided against the Kestrel for the lack of easily accessible outside pockets.
Being able to store a water bottle or grab a raincoat or access your credencial
without opening up the main part of the sac was a real bonus for me.

I decided against the Kestrel for the lack of easily accessible outside pockets.
Being able to store a water bottle or grab a raincoat or access your credencial
without opening up the main part of the sac was a real bonus for me.

Interesting. I had the 46L Kyte, hubby the 48L Kestrel. We put the credencial in a ziploc on the top flap along with the rain jacket. I put my rain skirt inside the side zip pocket along with my gaitors. My husband's 1 liter water bottles fit fine in both mesh pockets. I used a bladder instead. Snacks fit in the mesh pocket in the back. I even put a loaf of bread in one of my side pockets since I was using a water bladder. We never opened the main part of the pack until we arrived at our destination.

To the OP. I'm an Osprey guy. I own the Stratos 34 & 50. Which are the male versions of the Sirrus. Great packs. The farpoint is a great pack too. But it is intended for ease of travel to hotels and is less of a hiking pack. Dont get me wrong, it is probably the best of the suitcase/covertible to a travel backpack out there...but it is not a hiking pack per se, and would be much less comfy than the Sirrus for long hiking days that you'd be doing on the camino IMHO. The Sirrus has the mesh backpanel too that will allow airflow btwn your back and the pack, which is great especially when hiking long days in the heat.

Again, not knocking the farpoint. Its a great pack in its own right. Just think the Sirrus is a better tool for the job in regards to walking the Camino.

But whichever pack you choose...Bien Camino!

For the record, i also own the Osprey Talon 33, Talon 44, the Osprey exos 38 and the Osprey Atmos 65. Yes, i have an addiction. Lol

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.