• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack hipbelt pouches or pockets - any recommendations?

Alison Penfold

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug/sept 2016
Grateful for advice on backpack hipbelt pouches or pockets. My backpack as no side or hipbelt pockets and looking for products that I can loop/attach to my hipbelt that will carry phone, wallet and the Roos Camino guide. Needs to be about height of 12cm by 17cm by about 8-10cm deep. There seems to be a limited number of products on the market but hoping some of you have traversed this problem previously and have found workable solutions.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have made a slim pouch from nylon fabric, with several zippered compartments and a cross-body/shoulder strap. It is like a slightly larger version of the neck wallets that are sold in travel stores. It is designed to carry guidebook, phone, daily cash, tissues, and very little else. I use carabiners and diaper pins to hook it onto my backpack to stop it from bouncing and also to lift the weight of the strap off my neck. It's best to have something that you wear continuously, even when you remove your pack.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Pacsafe have a wide range of travel bags and pouches that might work for you. I have seen the Venturesome 150 GII used in this way plus as @SYates and @C clearly say, this holds your valuables, can be worn continuously and also used of an evening. The pacsafe range can be pricey but their products last for years.

I've never been happy with the idea of keeping anything vital like my money or passport in a detachable pouch. Always afraid that one day I will forget to re-attach it or it will just drop off. My wallet, passport, credencial and phone live in the large zipped pockets of my hiking trousers where I can find them quickly and reassure myself that I have not lost them :) Also very difficult to steal without attracting my attention. I think I would notice strange hands in that department....

I would (and do) definitely go for a separate waist pack. If you attach pouches to your backpack then they will constantly be getting dumped on the ground whenever you remove your pack for a break and you will need to remove them all to keep them safe if you move away from your pack. With a separate waist pack, all your valuables stay on your body when you remove your pack. It works. I have used this system for four caminos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also wear a separate waist pack. It is large enough for my few valuables and small enough to sleep in. It goes into shower with me (I manage to keep it dry).

I had pouches in the waist strap on my pack. Never put anything of value in it. I have used a waist money belt but found it awkward. I then used a cross body pouch. Much preferred it. Stayed with me and easy to access money, passport, tissues, etc. It had three zippered compartments. I kept my phone in my pocket.

After my first three Caminos, and after trying just about everything I could find, I determined the "best" solution was a ultra lightweight shoulder bag that could be worn with or without my rucksack. This proved to be an ideal place for items I wanted to reach quickly, but did not want to consign to pockets on my rucksack, or shoulder harness. Remember, this is all offered as an IMHO suggestion. There is no correct solution. In the end, what works best for you...works best for YOU.

Here are my two considered "ideal" solutions:

Sea-to-Summit Sling / Shoulder Bag: www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Ultra-Sil%26reg%3B+Sling+Bag&o1=0&o2=0&o3=380-36

I buy them on Amazon.com. This bag is made of ultra-sil nylon fabric and is VERY lightweight, as well as water resistant. It compresses to the the size of a Kiwi fruit, yet holds about 16 liters. It also has a zip-closing top flap. It makes the ideal, in the cabin, carry-on for flying to your Camino starting point. It can be stowed in a rucksack pocket, clipped to a belt or harness, or just worn over one shoulder, before you hoist your rucksack. It is also handy as a "possibles bag" for when you need to buy stuff at a tienda, supermercado, or farmacia, on your way into town. The name comes from the use...you might possibly need to use it...to tote stuff you pick up along the way.

ZPacks Multi-Pack - 4 in 1 Backpack Lid / Chest Pack / Belt Pack / Satchel: www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml

This bag must be ordered direct from the FL (USA) maker. The fabric is an ultralight and more durable grey Cuben Fiber. While it does not compress as small as the Sea-to-Summit bag, and only holds about three liters in volume, it was my daily "go to" bag for carrying snacks, iPhone, guidebook, and my handy dandy notepad for making notes along the way. I also stowed the compressed, Sea-to-Summit shoulder bag in this sack when I did not need it as a "possibles bag."

The really neat thing about the ZPacks bag is that it can be configured as a shoulder bag, waist bag, attached to the top or back of your rucksack. It comes with a variety of clips, straps and click fasteners to attach it as a belly or chest pack too. Only your imagination limits the attaching possibilities.

I suggest a lightweight shoulder bag, such as these, instead of attaching more stuff to your rucksack. I think you will find the result more to your liking.

For the record, I carried both on my most recent fourth Camino this April, from Madrid, until I had to stop at Sarria due to injuries.

I hope this helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Alison and welcome. I also use the cross body bag and since 2003 have used products by an Australian company - STM Bags. Their products are super sturdy, have multiple pockets and come in a variety of sizes - specifically designed for safely carrying technology. My current STM bag would be big enough for a small ipad but is perfect for all my valuables and never leaves my side while on a camino. It’s red so easily visible and I put it on before putting on my pack. That way when I take my pack off for coffee stops, it’s always safely on my body.
Look at stmbags.com.au (The ‘link’ style is a great size http://www.stmbags.com.au/collections/annex-collection/link-ipad-shoulder-bag.html )

My current STM bag would be big enough for a small ipad but is perfect for all my valuables and never leaves my side while on a camino. It’s red so easily visible and I put it on before putting on my pack. That way when I take my pack off for coffee stops, it’s always safely on my body.
Look at stmbags.com.au (The ‘link’ style is a great size http://www.stmbags.com.au/collections/annex-collection/link-ipad-shoulder-bag.html )
Grace, I really like the sound of this bag, and how it is always with you.
Can I please ask where the bag sits once you have your pack on? Does it sit more towards your side or front, and where is it relative to the belt of the pack, above or below?
Does it tend to bounce as you walk, or is it attached to something to stop this? Thanks very much,

Hi Alan, I have never had a problem wearing a cross body bag (in 6 caminos!) I have attached a pic of me wearing it. The shoulder strap is adjustible so you can change the length. It never bounced around but I also have a carabiner to clip it to my backpack strap if necessary. It’s nice and flat and I can also sleep with it under pillow or in bottom of s.bag if required. In it I keep my reading glasses, passport, money, mobile, feet care (sheeps wool and pawpaw lotion), tissues, credential and anything else of value. I see that the red colour has been superceded with a blue now.
Feel free to PM me if you have further questions.

Attachments

• Vdlp.jpg
    Vdlp.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 81
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I made my own front "pouch" using a cross-body bag and a "fanny pack" I bought from the second hand store I volunteer at. I cut the strap off of the bag, then used the straps I cut from the "fanny pack" and attached them to the sides of the cross body bag. The bag rested against my tummy and I could adjust it center, or more to the side, and could adjust the bag to be more or less snug as comfort dictated. Everything I needed was at hand. It was comfortable and secure and held my passport, phone, credential, some money, handkerchief, etc. You can see it in the attached photo, it's green with stripes. Cost: $2.

IMG_0913.jpg
The gentleman runs the little snack bar at the Ermita de la Virgen del Poyo

Grateful for advice on backpack hipbelt pouches or pockets. My backpack as no side or hipbelt pockets and looking for products that I can loop/attach to my hipbelt that will carry phone, wallet and the Roos Camino guide. Needs to be about height of 12cm by 17cm by about 8-10cm deep. There seems to be a limited number of products on the market but hoping some of you have traversed this problem previously and have found workable solutions.
Have you considered a travel vest of some sort? I used a sleeveless Scottevest for my April/May camino. http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/subindex_womens_products.shtml?gclid=CKqSsaK1ic0CFReUfgodhVcEvg (I'll admit the price is a bit steep.) I wore it constantly, it held all my valuables and at night I arranged it in my bed and slept on top of it.

I have a camera bag from think tank wich i love! You attache it to the waist strap of your backpack. At night you can transform it to a shoulderbag so you always keep it with you. Have a rain cover too. http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/hubba-hubba-hiney

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the responses. I found what I was looking for from a baby equipment website! Purchased a convertable "bum bag"/shoulder bag that works a treat.

everyone has creative ideas here; it was fun to look at the links. One word of caution... I have had credit/ ATM cards ruined by magnetic clasps on purses- I don t know if such could happen with the STM bags ( the rest of the goodies in it look good. I jut hope to get a less weighty option)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.