• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack in shower too?

M

Maya2

Another newbie question. I understand taking your money and passport into the shower with you, but do you need to take your backpack as well? Or is it left on your bunk to claim it? :?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You might have gotten the wrong idea. There is no need to stand guard over all of your posessions, rather be aware of your surroundings and use common sense. You will for the most part be among trustworthy, caring, honest people.

Unfortunately there are rare instances when an exception occurs and something does get stolen. News of this generally gets around quickly, possibly resulting in people believing it to be more of a problem than it actually is. It is a good idea not to display valuables or have them in readily accessible places but there is no need to be overly concerned. I never took passport, credit cards or cash into the shower. As long as there were other people around the albergues it was highly unlikely that some thief would be digging through my belongings while I was not there for a short period of time.

Remain aware but understand that the Camino is not like some dark dangerous alley.

Buen Camino!

If you are worried about leaving your bag while you shower you could always strike up a conversation with someone who looks trustworthy and offer to watch each others bags while you shower..

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Absolutely! take your backpack - it needs a shower too. After all, it's had a long, hard day, no protection from the sun and dust, filled with assorted junk not it's own, full and uncomfortable, it needs a restorative break. A shower is just the thing!
:lol:

Kitsambler said:
Absolutely! take your backpack - it needs a shower too. After all, it's had a long, hard day, no protection from the sun and dust, filled with assorted junk not it's own, full and uncomfortable, it needs a restorative break. A shower is just the thing!
:lol:

That's a rude and inapproriate response to a question of someone with a legitimate concern. Look back to your own questions that you posted looking for information. Sorry, your smart ass response is uncalled for on this forum.

hi,

prior to departing i have read a lot of people went on the camino with worn-out clothes. as i needed to buy some waterproof pants, travel towel,.... not cotton t shirts i was concerned about them, about having them stolen... as i walked alone.... but as i stepped on the camino, and as i felt the help of those people, who helped me even without asking it, i knew i have to worry no more. actually, once i left my semi-professional camera at the place i eat the pilgrim menu. and i noticed that 4 hours later. that it is missing. guess what? i found it exactly in the same place i left it. after a week or so, i did not take the money and pass in the shower any more. because we were already "friends", the same group of pilgrims slept every night in the albergues. we even walked togehter, eat together, so WORRIES WERE GONE :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I may be an old, paranoid American, but I would never leave my fanny pack with passport, credit cards, money, etc. out in the albergue while I'm in the shower unless I left it in the care of people I trusted. I may have done it, but it was never intentionally, just the result of my aging memory. :oops: People on this forum tell stories (fortunately, not very often) about pilgrims who went into the shower leaving their belongings in the care of new "friends," only to find everything gone when they came out. It's true that trust and letting go are important parts of the camino, but I would draw the line when it came to my fanny pack.

I think most people are careful to bring those fanny packs with them into the shower, but leave the rest unattended. It is true that on very rare occasions, things like clothes and food disappear from packs left in the albergues, but I think that is so rare that it's not worth worrying about. And anyway, if you lose a shirt, you're much better able to continue the Camino than if you lose your money, passport, and credit cards.

Just my opinion, buen camino, Laurie

I met a Dutchman on the bus to Fisterra, who had cycled from his home outside Amsterdam. He left his bicycle unattended in Logrono. It was stolen. Later in the day, he found the bicycle but none of the equipment. He outfitted from the discard boxes along the remainder of the pilgrimage. He learned how little he really needed, but was still angry at the thieves.

Trust, but verify.

You'll meet hundreds of decent people along the Camino. Unfortunately, you only need to meet one thief to have the entire experience ruined.
I'd put my credit cards, money, tickets, and passport in a zip-lock bag(one of those plastic bags that can be sealed along one edge) and bring it into the shower with me.
Better to not put temptation in anyones way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I like developing trusting relationships along the camino, but like Laurie, that trust never extends to money, cards and passport. I include my camera along with that as it's small enough to include in the plastic bag that I take to the shower. As others have said, all else can be replaced (or not).

It's wise to heed these cautionary tales.

lynne

I like to think therte isn´t all that much petty theft on the routes but a few times in the last week we´ve had pilgrims in the office who have lost money and passports. This is a major inconvenience for them. Inevitably they had left their packs unattended. It is easily done but I try to ensure I have my wallet and passport on me at all times - a photcopy of the passport somewhere else and a spare credit card separate from everything else.

On my first Camino I met 3 young people before Pamplona who got to know another pilgrim and walked a stage with her. In Pamplona, this friendly "pilgrim" agreed to watch their belongings while they showered.

That was the end of their Camino. the friendly "pilgrim" relieved all three of them of their cash, credit cards, and other valuables and disappeared. It was a very sobering day. We WANT to trust others, but there is a difference between trust and being naive.

People are hungry. There is worldwide unemployment. And not all who appear to be "pilgrims" ... are.

We all make choices. It doesn't take much effort to put your passport, cash, and credit cards into a ziplock bag and take it into the shower.

Otherwise, in my opinion, you are simply taking a gamble... 8)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One of the joys of doing a pilgrimage is finding out how little you need. Passport, credit card and cash need to be looked after so they always stayed with me but I had no hesitation at leaving the rest of my pack in the albergue or outside a bar. The only time I thought someone had taken some of my clothing was when a kind soul had brought them in off the line because they thought it was going to rain.

It is difficult to imagine what it is like to share close quarters with so many people. Yes, you have to be aware that not everyone is trustworthy but a bit of faith goes a long way as well. Just take it as it comes and do whatever feels comfortable to you.

Julie

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back