• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack in the Hold?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Following on from @Anemone del Camino's question about flying with poles... I also have a question about flying with your pack.

I've booked my flight from Bordeaux to Seville with Ryanair... for the bargain price of 26€.

Their website states that for the cabin, my bag must be 55cm x 40cm x 20cm... and I have a Kestrel Talon 44 and I reckon it's more like 58cm long and 25cm deep. I think I could maybe get away with the extra size but added to this I also want to take my pacer poles. Rather than start with problems, I think I should simply check the backpack into the hold... and use my nightime bag as hand luggage.

My worry is how do you avoid damage to the pack and straps?

Over the years we've had plenty of luggage damaged, usually from being dragged and pulled on and off the flights by the handles... so of course I'm now worrying about this. Has anyone had this problem? How do you travel with your pack? I read somewhere that a guy wrapped his in clingfilm to protect all the straps and bags and dangly bits? I was even thinking of buying a big fabric sack and putting the backpack in this complete?

Am I over thinking this? You must be old hands at flying with your pack but this is my first time... so I'm a little apprehensive. :rolleyes:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have used the clingwrap trick when checking my pack and it works great. I also print the flight number and destination in large print and put it under the clingwrap so no excuse for lost luggage. I have also heard of people using the large IKEA €2 shopping bag and leaving it at the Airport when they arrive.

I pull the straps tight and wrap the loose ends around the taut part of the strap so nothing loose dangles out. I've gone to the extent of removing the hip belt and packing it inside the pack.

Some of the airlines will provide a heavy duty plastic bag on request. I wouldn't bet on RyanAir doing so.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
thanks folks... at least I know I'm not going mad as others have had the same thoughts.

The Ikea is bag is a good idea, we have a few spares... and I'm not dismissing cling flim either but like the idea of the label! @whariwharangi now you mention it, easyjet gave us one of those big bags once so that's also a possibility? Better than a big linen sack!

@LesBrass - not to nitpick, but I take it you have an Osprey Talon, not an Osprey Kestrel, since you say it is 44 litres. The Kestrel has a built in rain cover which you might wrap around it to keep loose ends in check, but if you have a Talon they don't. My experience is that they don't always measure backpacks as long as they aren't obviously huge, it is more to catch the cheeky wheelie bags where the frame is too large for the overhead bins. As long as the pack is squishable it makes for easy stuffing into the bins or even under the seat in front of you (my similar Tempest 30 fits under there even when it is full). Try to compact it - and also, make full use of your other smaller bag for bulky objects? Or wear more! :D

Edit to add: I thought I'd find out once and for all, so I trawled through Ryanair's T&Cs and the short answer is that hiking or walking poles may not be taken on board the aircraft.

Last edited:
thanks folks... at least I know I'm not going mad as others have had the same thoughts.

The Ikea is bag is a good idea, we have a few spares... and I'm not dismissing cling flim either but like the idea of the label! @whariwharangi now you mention it, easyjet gave us one of those big bags once so that's also a possibility? Better than a big linen sack!

There are some purpose built bags out there for checking packs...in fact Osprey makes one. Here is a link to those available at REI, probably other cheaper ones out there too: https://www.rei.com/c/pack-duffel-bags?r=c&ir=category:pack-duffel-bags&page=1

-Jason

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've used a garbage bag, well taped with packing tape. You can make a large name tag out of a piece of paper and tape that flat to the bag. It's also a good idea to make a "handle" of tape so it's easy to carry in the airport. After you arrive at your destination, just ask to borrow some scissors from the airport info desk/car rental kiosk, etc. to free your bag, sling it on and off you go!

Oh, carry a spare garbage bag for your return flight. It will come in handy during your walk as a sitting sheet, or to pop your pack into at night as another safety measure against bedbugs. You can usually borrow some tape at the airport to wrap it up, or just buy a roll on your last day in town.

Edit: I'd recommend a strong bag such as a trash compactor bag or a garden/grass plastic bag

There are some purpose built bags out there for checking packs...in fact Osprey makes one. Here is a link to those available at REI, probably other cheaper ones out there too: ack-duffel-bags&page=1
I have always checked my backpack, both on full service and budget airlines and so far have not had a problem. At its simplest, I have wrapped the harness straps around the pack, and tidied up the strap ends by rolling up any exposed strap and taping it securely with electricians tape or gaffer tape. I have then put my poles between the harness and the pack, and taped them in places as well. Other approaches that I have used include some of those already mentioned, including getting a cheap poly bag and putting my pack and poles in that.

This year I plan to use one of the Osprey transporter bags, and use it to send some stuff forward to Santiago just before I start walking. I wouldn't want to be carrying the extra 400 gm and other gear I want to send on for the whole camino, so I will be keen to find the post office in SJPP.

@nidarosa - well spotted! I have both packs but I'm taking the 44L Talon :oops: I agree too that I'd possibly be able to compact it down to fit but... you're right, Ryanair do state no poles... and whilst some folks have said they were fine with them I'm pretty sure I'd be the one that they'd stop :D

@Deacon Jason - why didn't I find these whilst searching! You're my hero for today!!

@alipilgrim I think my husband would prefer your solution... and he may well go with this when he flies out to meet me!

:( @Deacon Jason ... little update... that cover weighs .45kg :eek: I maybe looking at the plastic bag option... maybe?

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Because my husband and I walk together, we usually put both sets of poles broken down into three slightly shorter sections along with a small pocket knife into one pack and check in the other one using dougfitz's method of wrapping up loose straps so they (hopefully) don't get caught on anything and hope for the best. The second pack we take carry on and haven't had any problems with size (35 litre pack within weight restrictions). After reading other posts I'm now getting a little nervous and thinking about cling film in the future. Thanks for the suggestion!

I always check my pack in. I resent have to buy a new knife every time I go camino walkabout then having to give or throw it away.

I made a rip stop nylon duffle bag. I put my pack cover on my pack backwards to protect the straps and belts and just slip it into the duffle. When I'm done I can use the duffle as a bag liner or put it in the bottom of my pack until I need it again. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

@nidarosa - well spotted! I have both packs but I'm taking the 44L Talon :oops: I agree too that I'd possibly be able to compact it down to fit but... you're right, Ryanair do state no poles... and whilst some folks have said they were fine with them I'm pretty sure I'd be the one that they'd stop :D

@Deacon Jason - why didn't I find these whilst searching! You're my hero for today!!

@alipilgrim I think my husband would prefer your solution... and he may well go with this when he flies out to meet me!

:( @Deacon Jason ... little update... that cover weighs .45kg :eek: I maybe looking at the plastic bag option... maybe?

Ouch! Almost 1/2 a kilo is a bit much! I remembered seeing them at REI but I hadn't looked too closely at the weights...once I settled on my little Gregory Z30 pack I decided not to go the checked bag route so hadn't looked further. I'm on the walking stick side of the great sticks versus poles debate, so going completely carry-on and buying my walking stick en route started to appeal to me more than trusting the airline not to trash or lose my stuff!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm on the walking stick side of the great sticks versus poles debate, so going completely carry-on and buying my walking stick en route started to appeal to me more than trusting the airline not to trash or lose my stuff!

I left my pacers at home for my first camino but on the second camino I loved them ... but I didn't use them all the time. I'm undecided this time. I fell a couple of times and my knee hurts after a fashion now... so I'm thinking of taking them... but I've lost 1.5kg from my pack and almost 9kg off of me (with more to go before september) so maybe my knee will be happier anyway?

I have 6 months to decide... and that allows me so much more time to worry about other things too :D

Following on from @Anemone del Camino's question about flying with poles... I also have a question about flying with your pack.

I've booked my flight from Bordeaux to Seville with Ryanair... for the bargain price of 26€.

Their website states that for the cabin, my bag must be 55cm x 40cm x 20cm... and I have a Kestrel Talon 44 and I reckon it's more like 58cm long and 25cm deep. I think I could maybe get away with the extra size but added to this I also want to take my pacer poles. Rather than start with problems, I think I should simply check the backpack into the hold... and use my nightime bag as hand luggage.

Over the years we've had plenty of luggage damaged, usually from being dragged and pulled on and off the flights by the handles... so of course I'm now worrying about this. Has anyone had this problem? How do you travel with your pack? I read somewhere that a guy wrapped his in clingfilm to protect all the straps and bags and dangly bits? I was even thinking of buying a big fabric sack and putting the backpack in this complete?

Am I over thinking this? You must be old hands at flying with your pack but this is my first time... so I'm a little apprehensive. :rolleyes:
last year was the first time I had my backpack put in the hold. I fly with AirCanada and placed my BP in a large heavy clear plastic bag and it was okay. But you should ask the airline, I understand your concern the srtaps most certainly get caught.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
WOW you lucky Europeans get all the bargains, whilst us coming from down-under have check all our hiking stuff - poles/knife/backpack/anything else. Also I usually travel on a full-service airline I have at least a 30kg check baggage allowance although I rarely use more than half of it. When I come in May 2017 I will send Ivar the carrying on bag with all the non-hiking stuff.
I have two of those "backpack covers" (both lockable) that will take a 50 litre and 75 litre backpack which does solve the problem of straps and poles. I also like that idea of clearly indicating: name; flight number(s) and final destination. Cheers
PS - note to self : never post replies after 10.30 PM - have had to make a number of editorial corrections.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to be carrying the extra 400 gm and other gear I want to send on for the whole camino, so I will be keen to find the post office in SJPP.
I shipped my excess from SJPdP to Ivars in Santiago but for the weight/volume it was very expensive. And they insisted I buy one of their cardboard boxes to enclose my bag.
Other pilgrims have since suggested the freight from France is so expensive that in future I should look at forwarding it to Pamplona via Jacotrans and posting it from there.
Regards
Gerard

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When preparing my bag for checking in on Ryanair, I packed my poles inside my rucksack. To make space for them (I have a 32l bag), I put a couple of items in my carry on luggage. I wrapped my backpack in a sheet of heavy duty plastic, and secured it using a length of twine. On the Camino, I used the plastic to sit on, on a number of occasions, and the twine regularly got used as a washing line. Not sure about the weight but I didn't notice it.

I'll be checking my rucksack, but it's an Osprey Atmos AG and I don't want to risk the mesh getting damaged. So here's what I'm doing: I'm taking my wife with me to Madrid, with a hardshell suitcase. Pack the rucksack inside the suitcase, treat the wife to a nice weekend in Madrid, then she heads home with the suitcase and I start walking. Problem solved.

Beware! On Ryanair my experience with them is that after baggage check in and immigration and in the DEPARTURE LOUNGE they check the size of everyones cabin bag and if it is even slightly oversize, they charge you 50 euros. It's all about making extra money. Not worth the risk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've used a garbage bag, well taped with packing tape. You can make a large name tag out of a piece of paper and tape that flat to the bag. It's also a good idea to make a "handle" of tape so it's easy to carry in the airport. After you arrive at your destination, just ask to borrow some scissors from the airport info desk/car rental kiosk, etc. to free your bag, sling it on and off you go!

Oh, carry a spare garbage bag for your return flight. It will come in handy during your walk as a sitting sheet, or to pop your pack into at night as another safety measure against bedbugs. You can usually borrow some tape at the airport to wrap it up, or just buy a roll on your last day in town.

Edit: I'd recommend a strong bag such as a trash compactor bag or a garden/grass plastic bag
That's a good idea. Never thought about that. Those really thick compactor or garden bags would work well and you can also use them as an additional layer of waterproof protection by putting all your stuff in it, inside of your backpack on really rainy days on the Camino.

I had an old suitcase that was ready to be thrown out. I put my backpack and poles in it and checked it through to Barcelona. When I arrived at Roncevalles, they said they would take care of it for me. I did feel foolish wheeling in a suitcase when everyone else had backpacks. But I didn't have to worry about my poles. I flew Ibera. On the return to Panama, I was worried so I had my pack wrapped in plastic for 13 Euros. When I got to Customs, they found something in my backpack, so they had to cut the expensive plastic. It was the bottle of suntan lotion that I bought and never used. As they were searching my bag, the lady asked the supervisor about the poles. He said no problem. They confiscated my lotion. Anyway, I took the pack on the airplane with me and it fit perfectly overhead. It was easier to carry without the plastic. It all depends on who you get at customs and what kind of mood they are in.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I left my pacers at home for my first camino but on the second camino I loved them ... but I didn't use them all the time. I'm undecided this time. I fell a couple of times and my knee hurts after a fashion now... so I'm thinking of taking them... but I've lost 1.5kg from my pack and almost 9kg off of me (with more to go before september) so maybe my knee will be happier anyway?

I have 6 months to decide... and that allows me so much more time to worry about other things too :D

I had the same problem with my knees as well. It was an ITB issue and putting more weight on my shoulders and less on the hips against everyones advice sorted it for me. Try it out beforehand will full pack weight.

I was worried about this last year as I had 17 flights over my 6 month travels and just the one 60L pack... but never had any real issues. Only part of my pack that broke was the zipper on the front left pocket I used the most, but that wasn't due to flights.

For international flights most airlines will sell you a sturdy transparent bag that you can put your pack in before you check in. I think I paid $5 CAD, which was well worth is as it keeps your pack clean also.

Buen Camino !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a Talon 44 as well, and have never had to check it. Chances are you won't have to either. But just in case, bring a trash bag if they ask you to check it. Also bring a small packable daypack(osprey has a great new one that folds into nothing) to put your valuable electronics to carry on plane with you. Bien Camino!

I use a nylon / polyester drawstring laundry bag, purchased in my local dollar store, for one USD dollar (doh!). It is bright lime green, as befits my livery. But, being a bright color, it does not look like every other bag on the baggage carousel.

The shortened hiking poles are attached to one side pocket using the rucksack's compression straps. I also use study rubber bands to bind both poles together so they do not shift with movement during shipping.

The rucksack, with poles attached, goes into the laundry bag, The bag is double-knotted with a luggage tag showing my first night's DESTINATION address, not my home address (that would be counter-productive), AND my e-mail and text number. This way, they can ship the bag to me where I will be, not where I came from, if we get separated. Place a second luggage tag in the bag, attached to the rucksack.

At my destination, the laundry bag can be used as a rucksack liner, and well, as a laundry bag. Try this. It actually works. Better the laundry bag take the damage form luggage handling, instead of the rucksack or poles.

I hope my new rucksack is going to fit in my airporter bag. The airporter accommodates your bag and poles and can later be folded down to the size of a toiletries bag and posted on to Santiago. The manufacturer is Osprey, I think.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I build a cardboard box for my pack to fit in. Get to airport destination. retrieve my pack , open box , dawn pack and walk......so fine as well as easy. Upon return, same thing, make the box up where i can with tape from the china store.
I hope my new rucksack is going to fit in my airporter bag. The airporter accommodates your bag and poles and can later be folded down to the size of a toiletries bag and posted on to Santiago. The manufacturer is Osprey, I think.

I used a canvas laundry bay to put my pack in. It was awkward to carry it across the airport and they opened it and went through it after it was checked, but the pack was protected just fine.

As I mentioned earlier, I wrapped mine in its rain protector, but I wasn't carrying poles. I bought mine in St. Jean. I never check luggage any more. The rain cover gathers in all the loose straps very nicely, then pulls itself tight. Easy peasy…..

As I mentioned earlier, I wrapped mine in its rain protector, but I wasn't carrying poles. I bought mine in St. Jean. I never check luggage any more. The rain cover gathers in all the loose straps very nicely, then pulls itself tight. Easy peasy…..
Hi, I will be travelling with an Osprey Sirrus 36L and was hoping to carry it on. I am shipping my trekking poles and knife to my first night hotel in Bayonne, then plan to ship them back home from Ivar in Santiago. Hope it all goes as planned!

Hi, I will be travelling with an Osprey Sirrus 36L and was hoping to carry it on. I am shipping my trekking poles and knife to my first night hotel in Bayonne, then plan to ship them back home from Ivar in Santiago. Hope it all goes as planned!
I'm sure you'll be fine Marc and welcome to the forum… you'll get many suggestions here as to what and how to carry your Osprey on board. I have the Osprey as well & same size. The rain protector for me, was the simplest solution by far. Wish you heartfelt Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm sure you'll be fine Marc and welcome to the forum… you'll get many suggestions here as to what and how to carry your Osprey on board. I have the Osprey as well & same size. The rain protector for me, was the simplest solution by far. Wish you heartfelt Buen Camino.
Thanks Maggie, I'm happy to hear that you have the same size bag! I'm carrying the Sirrus which is the 'woman's' model as opposed to the Stratos, because I'm only 5'1" and even the small Stratos was too long for my body height. But I'm happy to hear that you could carry yours on as carry on luggage.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back