• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack indecision help!

Renascer

Time of past OR future Camino
I bought this ultralight backpack, it is a 68L ULA Circuit from this place
i have been using it to train and it is comfortable.
In your experience what do you think about this pack for the camino?
I never hiked with a backpack before so i am looking to check if anyone here know if this is a good pack. Rei have smaller ones (30-40l) but it is not as light as this one. Should i keep the lighter one or buy another smaller one?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first was an Arteryx 30L. I got rid of it (it stank! Lol) about two years ago. They don’t make it anymore. Now I have the Gregory jade 30 L1817BED4-851C-49BC-B8A0-B8DE1BFCE468.jpeg

Rei have smaller ones (30-40l) but it is not as light as this one. Should i keep the lighter one or buy another smaller one?

In my opinion that is huge and twice the size of a backpack you need I’ve been carrying a 30L pack every year since 2006 and that has been enough
I'm going to disagree with @Anniesantiago a bit. I would go with the lighter weight but larger backpack - just don't fill it. Pack weight and comfort are more important than pack size.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you do want to try a smaller pack there are some that are as light as yours or lighter. I bought this Gregory Juno pack last year. It weighs the same as your current pack.

I'm going to disagree with @Anniesantiago a bit. I would go with the lighter weight but larger backpack - just don't fill it. Pack weight and comfort are more important than pack size.
I am open to all opinions. I will test a few. Not that i dislike the one i got and was custom fit. If i find one better i can go for it.

If you do want to try a smaller pack there are some that are as light as yours or lighter. I bought this Gregory Juno pack last year. It weighs the same as your current pack.

very reasonable price. I paid $255 for mine. Nice shape of the one you posted too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Test a few, yes, but not just by putting them on. Fill the pack with heavy items on display in the store and then try it.

Sure, you won't need a pack that big - but it is light enough and if it is really comfortable - loaded - then what's not to like - except, they are like bookshelves ... ever seen an empty one? Exactly - you will put things in there that you don't and won't need - but in the end it comes down to you - comfort and weight first.

But -- no hurry - don't buy anything until you have tried an Osprey Talon 33!! The fit is fantastic.

Test a few, yes, but not just by putting them on. Fill the pack with heavy items on display in the store and then try it.

Sure, you won't need a pack that big - but it is light enough and if it is really comfortable - loaded - then what's not to like - except, they are like bookshelves ... ever seen an empty one? Exactly - you will put things in there that you don't and won't need - but in the end it comes down to you - comfort and weight first.

But -- no hurry - don't buy anything until you have tried an Osprey Talon 33!! The fit is fantastic.
Check Talon 33. 🙂 Yes about weights that is what i did at rei. They had it. Cool

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I never hiked with a backpack before so i am looking to check if anyone here know if this is a good pack. Rei have smaller ones (30-40l) but it is not as light as this one. Should i keep the lighter one or buy another smaller one?
Comfort AND total weight is the key for a happy and healthy Camino . I do not know the pack but if your gear fits and it’s easy on your back , go for it . I have one of the new Osprey ultra lite packs and it’s good for the light load I carry . Shoes are the other essential , first socks, then walking shoes add a full size , break them in & bring sandals( not flip flops).

It is funny what you said about filling it up. Lol Could be a test of discipline during the camino. But i have one week for fun there “before” the camino (no shopping), another week after and that is the one i can finally relax on the discipline because i know i am coming home, leave it in the hotel everyday while browsing Barcelona and can shop a bit. So i can have the space to put extra stuff at the end when i shop, but before the camino and during i better behave or my knee will let me know. 🙂

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The problem with using a big lightweight backpack and not filling it Is that you are on a six week walk, of approximately 6 to 8 hours per day over a variety of terrain. The weight inside a big pack like that is going to shift around and that isn’t very good for your back. A smaller pack that is packed correctly and fits correctly will be much less stressful on your shoulders and back in my opinion. I have had no problems at all keeping the weight of my pack below 13 pounds for the entire Camino

Stank lol. That is hilarious! I will test drive this one too. It is definitely a cool looking pack. 🙂 How heavy it is?
Well you have to remember I used it twice a year every year from 2006. That’s a lot of sweat. Ha ha Ha. I don’t know how heavy it is. You’ll have to look it up. I had no trouble keeping my weight under 13 pounds but I’m not a heavy packer

Comfort AND total weight is the key for a happy and healthy Camino . I do not know the pack but if your gear fits and it’s easy on your back , go for it . I have one of the new Osprey ultra lite packs and it’s good for the light load I carry . Shoes are the other essential , first socks, then walking shoes add a full size , break them in & bring sandals( not flip flops).
Yes thank you. i bought those funny looking merinos infinji toes socks and also some darn tough socks that i am walking around testing with the new Hoka i bought. Which i like “very” much. I already have keen boots and another Merrel hiking shoes but i like the new Hoka being so light and breathable. Yes and i got one size bigger for the shoes. I just bought a hiking teva too on amazon in case i get blisters and need to hike with sandals. I am testing that one too now and then. But believe the Hoka will not cause me problems. All i know is that it is fun shopping for this stuff! But asking questions, being educated is good, to not buy things that can be uncomfortable on the camino. Which Osprey Ultra you got?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well you have to remember I used it twice a year every year from 2006. That’s a lot of sweat. Ha ha Ha. I don’t know how heavy it is. You’ll have to look it up. I had no trouble keeping my weight under 13 pounds but I’m not a heavy packer
Perfect! Thank you for sharing.

Did my first camino with a Gossamer Gear Murmur. Will do my second with a Bonfus Iterus. Both around 26L internal and plenty big enough. You might also check the Kumo from Gossamer, which is a little more forgiving regarding weight.
Gregory and Osprey are solid choices as well, but heavier.

edit: always fix your equipment before buying a pack. Makes a big difference whether you want to put 3kg or 8kg inside your backpack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walked with a Meteor (OEM for Decathlon) pack (36-42l) in summer 2019. Only 4/5 filled with room for food and drinks, just over 5kg. Pack itself is 950gr. Costing just 25€ and fits perfectly, never had an issue with it. Easy to handle.

A good pack can cost a fortune, but I was lucky and spent my money in more expensive boots (200€) and socks (22€/pair).

BC
Roland

I think if you do a search, you may find a review of the ULA bags. I seem to recall that @davebugg has posted info on backpacks that you may find helpful. He has also posted a detailed description of how to make sure your bag is properly adjusted for your body. It’s worth the search.

Usually the company website will give you the specifications on pack weights, but I’ve found that when you can’t find the weight there, if you go to amazon’s website you can usually find it there.

Backpacks are all about what YOU find comfortable. Play with them, take them for walks (with 10kilos of weight in them), and decide on comfort first. Capacity can be an issue for those who can’t resist filling the space, but if you are brutal with that and use the tie down straps to keep things from flopping around, a larger bag is just fine.

I have three bags, each has pros and cons.

Before my first Camino I bought a backpack that would be accepted as carry-on luggase. I still use it. Three reasons:

1. It has no room for unnecessary items. Saving weight.
2. I will not lose it in airport baggage handling: It is always with me.
3. I can leave the airport immediately.

Before my first Camino I bought a backpack that would be accepted as carry-on luggase. I still use it. Three reasons:

1. It has no room for unnecessary items. Saving weight.
2. I will not lose it in airport baggage handling: It is always with me.
3. I can leave the airport immediately.
That is also an excellent point to be made. I have had at least two clients whose bags did not arrive in Madrid and who had to totally re-supply themselves before walking

I think if you do a search, you may find a review of the ULA bags. I seem to recall that @davebugg has posted info on backpacks that you may find helpful. He has also posted a detailed description of how to make sure your bag is properly adjusted for your body. It’s worth the search.

Usually the company website will give you the specifications on pack weights, but I’ve found that when you can’t find the weight there, if you go to amazon’s website you can usually find it there.

Backpacks are all about what YOU find comfortable. Play with them, take them for walks (with 10kilos of weight in them), and decide on comfort first. Capacity can be an issue for those who can’t resist filling the space, but if you are brutal with that and use the tie down straps to keep things from flopping around, a larger bag is just fine.

I have three bags, each has pros and cons.
Thank you i will check that post. Yes this one can be compressed small by rolling the top and side elastic. Makes sense having different ones. I have a little one i bought in Italy when I was hiking at the Cinque terre there in Italy but obviously that one doesn't fit enough stuff as was just smaller day hikes and luggage was in the hotel. I guess really depends on the type of hike, we need different packs. Now i am educating myself and learning what is the more appropriate for the Camino. It is a different strategy. Even shoes, i use boots here for an afternoon hike, for sure i will not feel comfortable wearing heavy boots on the camino every single day for that many days.

It is funny what you said about filling it up. Lol Could be a test of discipline during the camino. But i have one week for fun there “before” the camino (no shopping), another week after and that is the one i can finally relax on the discipline because i know i am coming home, leave it in the hotel everyday while browsing Barcelona and can shop a bit. So i can have the space to put extra stuff at the end when i shop, but before the camino and during i better behave or my knee will let me know. 🙂
Are you going to return to Barcelona before you fly home? If so, ask your hotel if they will hold a bag for you.
Or, if you do buy things in Barcelona before you start your Camino you can send them to Santiago to be held at the post office there.

Here's the information from Correos about how to do that

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Are you going to return to Barcelona before you fly home? If so, ask your hotel if they will hold a bag for you.
Or, if you do buy things in Barcelona before you start your Camino you can send them to Santiago to be held at the post office there.

Here's the information from Correos about how to do that

The plan is landing in Lisbon enjoy there a bit for a few days. Then train to Porto enjoy Porto for a few days. Then start camino from Porto to Sdc. When done from Santiago i go to Barcelona and enjoy there for a week before i fly back home.

The plan is landing in Lisbon enjoy there a bit for a few days. Then train to Porto enjoy Porto for a few days. Then start camino from Porto to Sdc. When done from Santiago i go to Barcelona and enjoy there for a week before i fly back home.
I see.
I always check a suitcase into the hold when I fly to Europe for my Caminos. It contains my "tourist" clothes, and my hiking poles, which aren't always allowed into the cabin.
When you get to Porto you could have the suitcase with your tourist clothes and anything that you have purchased in Lisbon and Porto sent to Santiago via TuiTrans.

There are a lot of very good backpacks out there. However, a 67L pack is much more than you need. My wife and I have walked several Caminos now with our 36L Osprey packs. We hike with the Stratos and Sirrus models respectively. We’ve been very pleased with how they’ve been both comfortable and offer plenty of room for our gear. We’ve fine tuned what we carry down to about 6 kg. Having a light backpack makes all the difference.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This COULD work, but ONLY if you can resist the temptation to buy stuff long the way and fill up the extra volume. Many of us have found that empty space in a rucksack is a vacuum - it sucks up possessions, trinkets and souvenirs - getting larger and heavier along the way.

Ordinarily, most of us veterans would advise something in the 35 - 40 liter range. Smaller is better - pack less - hand launder more often. You will enjoy the pilgrimage more.

On the other hand, if you can only afford one pack, and plan to use it for traveling - needing the extra volume, checking it onboard and airplane when you need to, then investing in one good quality rucksack makes sense.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Use the one you have, you do not have to fill a pack completely and as long as it fits you it’s fine. My husband used a 20 year old pack of our son and he would use it again. Especially as you don’t traditionally backpack

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Best packs without a doubt are made by Osprey

There are a lot of very good backpacks out there. However, a 67L pack is much more than you need. My wife and I have walked several Caminos now with our 36L Osprey packs. We hike with the Stratos and Sirrus models respectively. We’ve been very pleased with how they’ve been both comfortable and offer plenty of room for our gear. We’ve fine tuned what we carry down to about 6 kg. Having a light backpack makes all the difference.
Yes i am cutting, cutting the amount of stuff to take. It is being hard but a great lesson. I am one that usually enjoy carrying two luggages to places lol but this is a new way to travel and will also be beautiful if some strategy is done. I am ordering a scale to have a better understanding why i still have so much. It is being a very fun experience and a new one. I enjoy learning new ways. The guy at the Rei store was insisting that i don’t take a sleeping bag. No way i want to leave that behind. 😊I am going there in September, i am always cold, the higiene and Covid. I prefer having it. I will cut on other things.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello. I’ve got an Osprey 48 litre, which is as large as I’d recommend for anyone. It’s got a cooling system as well, so your back is not directly next to the pack. I’ve completed half of the Camino Frances with it so far, and have no intention of using anything else. As other people have mentioned, it’s very easy to fill any sized rucksack.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My daughter-in-law carried the Osprey Exos48, a more ultra-lite version on the Camino, but left the top piece at home. She loved it and the extra room, but did not fill it packed tight. A few souveniers purchased in Santiago stuffed in and still fit in the overhead on the plane going home. Going larger isn't necessaily all bad. She intended to use this more generous "size" on other backpacking trips at home without having to purchase a second backpack.

I have 2 ULA packs and I think they are the most comfortable packs I have ever tried. I have used the Circuit backpacking on the Appalachian Trail, so I agree that it may be bigger than you will need. I have never walked the Camino but I have ordered a Photon ULA pack, which is their smaller pack and hopefully it will be the right size.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My Osprey Exos 48 was never stuffed until ready to pack gifts for trip home. It "breathes" well on your back and the bungee bands keep it a nice tight unit when not full. But,,, the best thing was the convenience of water bottle pockets !!! Sloped slightly forward and easy in and out of bottles. All my other packs (4) have vertical pockets and at 62 yo its hard to manipulate bottles in and out of them while walking.

Buen Camino,
Bob

I have 2 ULA packs and I think they are the most comfortable packs I have ever tried. I have used the Circuit backpacking on the Appalachian Trail, so I agree that it may be bigger than you will need. I have never walked the Camino but I have ordered a Photon ULA pack, which is their smaller pack and hopefully it will be the right size.
I am also enjoying other than the weight( not heavy) the versatility and those external pockets. I also removed some of the accessories(four) it has, so it became even lighter. When done with camino i can put back on.

My son uses the ULA CDT on his three caminos and really likes it for this type of "walk". He has used a large Osprey Atmos85 on US long distance trails, but has recently purchased an ultra lite Osprey Exos55 to replace it...as "less is becoming more" all the time.

I am only 83 so I do not have as much experience as others but I found the Lo Alpine 30 as a perfect pack big enough for a 6 week trip and the airzone means no sweaty back. Try it
Buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That's enormous. I can carry full backpacking camping gear in 40L and on the Camino 30 is fine especially in summer when you don't need to carry a lot of warm clothing or sleeping bag. Even on a 2 week hike across northern Finland and Norway I carried everything in 50l.

Having said that, if it is comfortable to carry, that's more important than anything else. Just make sure you don't get tempted to pack more than you need simply because you have the space.

I have used the 2+ lb 45 L Exped backpack on my last 3 Caminos but this year I will carry the Z Packs 38 L Nero on the Via de la Plata. 10.6 oz!!! $199. I added a few more ounces with waistbelt pouches but it is still way under one lb. I do expect a sweaty back because there is no frame standoff. I have been carrying it all spring with 12 - 15 lbs in the mountains above my house and it feels great. I will have to carry more weight in water. I have added clips for hands free umbrella carrying. I am a big believer in the parasol/paragua.

I have used the 2+ lb 45 L Exped backpack on my last 3 Caminos but this year I will carry the Z Packs 38 L Nero on the Via de la Plata. 10.6 oz!!! $199. I added a few more ounces with waistbelt pouches but it is still way under one lb. I do expect a sweaty back because there is no frame standoff. I have been carrying it all spring with 12 - 15 lbs in the mountains above my house and it feels great. I will have to carry more weight in water. I have added clips for hands free umbrella carrying. I am a big believer in the parasol/paragua.
Curious to check it out!

€83,-
Buy another one, take them both. REI will thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been walking with a 60 liter pack for the last 11 years, usually weighing in at 6-7 kg. This is the last walk for the poor thing, it is wearing through in a couple of places, the straps can’t be tightened properly and it’s frayed in several places. The side pockets are hard to pack properly, and I want a new pack that covers my present needs: slightly bigger, or the same size, but all useful space.

I hope you have a donkey.😂
Maybe that is exactly what we need to do. Lol Forget this lightweight stuff and this annoying measuring ounces and just go traditional way with the donkey! Two backpacks to one side and two backpacks to the other side. I think thats the way to do it. They did it right. Once a week we stop at the river and wash our clothes right there. Who needs a washing machine??? 😂

Last edited:
I have been walking with a 60 liter pack for the last 11 years, usually weighing in at 6-7 kg. This is the last walk for the poor thing, it is wearing through in a couple of places, the straps can’t be tightened properly and it’s frayed in several places. The side pockets are hard to pack properly, and I want a new pack that covers my present needs: slightly bigger, or the same size, but all useful space.
Wow lady Congrats! 🙂you have experiences to tell. If that backpack could just talk! 11 years! Kudos! thats a lot of walking. I am glad you enjoyed your bigger pack. I am thinking i will go with this one. When i strap it well it becomes very small. It is just the indecisions of a newbie but this one could be a good Safe bet. I know that shoes and backpack is very important for the camino. The shoes indecision is over, decided with that. Backpack i am almost there. Just learning my options better. Time for a new backpack for you for your new adventures!

€83,-

I have field tested the Circuit for ULA and it is a superb backpack. However, if you are looking to ONLY use the backpack for a Camino, and not for backpacking as an activity, there are backpacks that are more budget friendly, and, although they are not of the same build quality, will work well for a Camino or two.

Smaller is not the goal. Lightness is not the goal. The goal is a backpack that fits exceedingly well and FEELS good with the proper fit.

A larger backpack is fine for smaller loads. I used the ULA Circuit and the Gossamer Gear Mariposa on a thru hike of the PCT carrying 7 days of food and fuel and other gear for a backpacking trip in the 'wild', and I used the GG Mariposa on the Camino as well. I have used the ULA Circuit as a daypack. Again, IF you need a backpack for more than ONE type of hiking or backpacking, and you cannot afford to purchase more than one backpack, any backpack can be multitasked.

If you are looking for a list of specific recommendations to put on your 'audition' list, send me a message via Private Message. I will be happy to assist as I can.

Again, the capacity of the backpack doesn't matter as much as Fit-n-Feel. Smaller backpacks are not necessarily an ideal choice. There are less expensive backpacks than the ULA offerings that work well on a limited budget.

Best packs without a doubt are made by Osprey
Not really. They are good, but not the best, if by 'best' you are referring to all backpacks by all manufacturers designed for the same weight loads and using the same style of support structure. If you are referring to what you have used and your preference personally falls to the Osprey model, sure.

The problem with using a big lightweight backpack and not filling it Is that you are on a six week walk, of approximately 6 to 8 hours per day over a variety of terrain. The weight inside a big pack like that is going to shift around and that isn’t very good for your back. A smaller pack that is packed correctly and fits correctly will be much less stressful on your shoulders and back in my opinion. I have had no problems at all keeping the weight of my pack below 13 pounds for the entire Camino

That is correct if one is not taught how to pack a small load into a large capacity backpack. There are techniques and tricks which will center the small load inside a large space and keeps it in place.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes thank you. i bought those funny looking merinos infinji toes socks and also some darn tough socks that i am walking around testing with the new Hoka i bought. Which i like “very” much. I already have keen boots and another Merrel hiking shoes but i like the new Hoka being so light and breathable. Yes and i got one size bigger for the shoes. I just bought a hiking teva too on amazon in case i get blisters and need to hike with sandals. I am testing that one too now and then. But believe the Hoka will not cause me problems. All i know is that it is fun shopping for this stuff! But asking questions, being educated is good, to not buy things that can be uncomfortable on the camino. Which Osprey Ultra you got?
My Injinjis are my absolutely favorite sock. I did my second CF in a pair, and a Honolulu Marathon in them, zero blisters or hot spots.

The first was an Arteryx 30L. I got rid of it (it stank! Lol) about two years ago. They don’t make it anymore. Now I have the Gregory jade 30 LView attachment 103230

That is the same backpack that Jill ended up deciding on when I was helping her with 'tryouts'. I stood patiently by while the REI salesperson did the fitting and adjusting. Jill was not loving it when she walked around with it loaded up in the store, going up and down stairs and around the store for about 20 minutes.

Finally, I grabbed the proper size, and did a proper adjustment, and she LOVED the Gregory and decided on it rather than the ULA I bought her for Christmas (although she like the blue color of the ULA pack better :) }

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That is correct if one is not taught how to pack a small load into a large capacity backpack. There are techniques and tricks which will center the small load inside a large space and keeps it in place.
But why do that? Why not just buy the correct size to begin with?

But why do that? Why not just buy the correct size to begin with?

For those reading this post, I do not want to add any confusion, so permit me to clarify my use of words to save confusion about terminology.

Backpack 'size': This describes the fit, NOT the capacity of a backpack.

Manufacturer's will often have size labels stating something like Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large. Or Small/Medium, Medium/Large, Large/Extra Large. This is identification is to help the buyer match their measured spine length, to a backpacks frame size. Or a frameless backpack's back panel dimensions.

To determine the size needed, a manufacturer will have a chart or reference that correlates various spine lengths with the 'size' stated on the label. Always refer to the manufacturers chart to see what label 'size' fits your spine's length.

Example: A size 'Small' may mean a spine length of 15 to 17 inches".

'Capacity' refers to the amount of stuff a backpack can hold, usually stated in 'Liters'.

A 'small' sized backpack, may have a large or medium capacity. Whereas a 'Large' sized backpack, in a daypack model, may have a small capacity.

The two terms are not really interchangeable when 'technically' describing what aspect of a backpack is being discussed.

Annie, the answer to your question is money. A person who is only doing a Camino, and no other backpacking activity can buy a capacity of backpack that will precisely match what they carry on Camino.

If you are doing multiday or week wilderness backpacking, and want the new backpack for a Camino to also be used for backpacking, and money is tight, you can purchase a capacity of backpack which will fits that biggest load needed, and then do simple things to also carry a Camino load.

There are advantages to having several, or a couple of backpacks with larger and smaller capacities for specific activities, but if one needs to be frugal then accommodations can be made.

Do not overlook the advantages of an external frame pack:

- Well-designed external frame packs hold the entire pack (except for the hip belt, ventilated trampoline band, and the shoulder straps) away from your back, thus facilitating air flow across your back, and providing a cooler experience.

- The fact that the body of the external frame back will not be constantly rubbing against the back of your shirt will reduce the amount of abrasion damage to your shirts.

- Some (most?) external frame packs provide many adjustments of suspension elements to suit the physiognomy of individual users. These can include offsetting the top attachment points of the shoulder straps either to the right or left, also up or down as you choose, moving the hip belt anchoring points either up or down on the frame, ditto for trampoline band, adjusting the overall length of the frame, etc. In my experience, internal frame packs do not provide as many adjustments.

Some folks will point out that external frame packs have a greater tendency to snag when one is pushing through brush and closely-spaced trees. That may be true, however there is no need to push through brush and closely-spaced trees on the Camino de Santiago.

-

Some packs (also some ponchos and raincoats, etc.) have an internal coating of urethane polymer which can develop an offensive odour over time, especially if subjected to heat and moisture. I have had success eliminating the stink by removing all metal and hard components, turning the stinky coated textiles inside-out, and then machine-laundering them at a laundromat in a large front-loading machine using warm water and the normal amount of detergent, rinsing very well, and hang-drying at room temperature. Turn outside-out again then reassemble the metal and hard components.

The laundering dissolved and washed away the decayed urethane film. I can live quite happily without the decayed urethane film but could not live with its stink. Note: To avoid abrasion damage, do not use a top-loading washing machine and do not tumble dry.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Everyone has their own favourite pack. And no one answer suits everyone. Mine is the Aarn. Specially made for the Camino. A New Zealand brand with two holsters on the front which are brilliant. Takes weight off the back and makes accessing drink bottles, maps, etc dead easy. But not matter what, get it fitted properly by an expert.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Jeez, that's huge.
Lots of good advice here though.
Fit and comfort are important.

When I bought my Stratos 34L 6 years ago, it was not the pack I set out to buy.

I went to a good store, with all my Camino gear in a garbage bag.

I stuffed it into the chosen pack to see :

1. If it would fit OK, and
  2. How the pack felt, wearing it, with all my gear.
I walked around the store a bit playing with the setup of straps etc.

I tried 3 packs, and ended up with the Stratos.
It was a bit heavier than I wanted, but it fitted me perfectly and was really comfortable.
After 2,000 kms on Camino, it's still great for my needs.

It's good to do some research.
But try on a few packs..............

Maybe go to the store with a list of 3 or 4 you think you might like?

Perhaps try a really lightweight pack, v a heavier one etc.

Exactly what I was thinking. 33l of stuff in a 68l pack…seems as if it’ll be sloshing around like mad.

If you look at the specs of the backpack that @NeiaBrazil has purchased it is not as big as it seems.
The main body of the pack is about 39 liters. The extra 29 liters of capacity are all in parts that can be compressed down.
20210626_213845.jpg

Hi,
Always amazed by those who can accommodate all their belongings in 30/35 l...

Mine was 45 l on autumn caminos and it was tightly packed with the usual bare minimum for sunny and rainy weather (poncho, fleece...).

In the meantime I have purchased and used a Sierra Design Flex Capacitor 40-60 bag :
- a no brainer as regards capacity adequacy for my various needs (hiking, mountaineering...)
- light, at 2 lbs 10 oz / 1.19 kg
- superb back ventilation
- adequate back length (might not be the case with smaller bags).

If you’re happy with that backpack, don’t buy another one.
I always walk with such a large backpack of 65 liters of volume.
Everything fits in it, I can easily find what I need in it because there is a lot of space, you can tighten it with straps so things in it won’t have room to move as you walk. The only real problem with a large backpack may be its weight.
Since yours is ultra-lightweight by one kg, this is also not a problem.
But we all like to buy and own as many things as possible, so you can buy another backpack, for pleasure or out of necessity.

I´m about to start my 3rd camino in about a week.

On the first camino (Frances) i used an Opsrey 45L pack which worked well, but the pack itself weas pretty heavy. On the second camino (Norte) i went minimal and used a 24L no frame, no waist belt pack which also worked well since it was super light (about 300 grams) but it was hard to fit food and snacks when fully packed.

This year we are doing the Frances again and I´m using a Z-packs Arc Air 50L. The pack itself only weighs about 500 grams but is twice the size of the one i used last time. I have the same packing list as last time so it will weigh about as much as the super small pack (around 4.5 kg fully packed) but i have enough room in it to not have any problems packing food and snacks. i have tested it out a few times with the things i plan on bringing on the camino and it works perfectly.

My point is this: If your big pack is lighter than the small ones you are looking at, fits you well and is comfortable, use it. Having a small pack is good if you think that you will pack too many things but I would say its more about the weight and fit than the actuall size. If you have a smaller pack at home (28-35 L) try fitting everything you need in that and then just use the big pack. Having the extra space and not having to cram everything in to a small pack makes albergue life a lot easier.

Regardless of which pack you use, your are going to have a fantastic time walking the camino.

/Hans

My Injinjis are my absolutely favorite sock. I did my second CF in a pair, and a Honolulu Marathon in them, zero blisters or hot spots.
And that's another good example of how there is never one thing that is perfect for everyone. Some people swear by toe socks, for others they are a total disaster. I have wide feet and the extra space it takes up in a shoe makes them impractical for one thing. On the one occasion I tried them in a shoe that had enough space I developed blisters between my toes within an hour.

On the one occasion I tried them in a shoe that had enough space I developed blisters between my toes within an hour.
I wore them with sandals for several days and developed a blister between my first two toes, probably from the seam rubbing there. I have since been told to wear them inside out so that the seams don't rub, but I've been sticking with regular socks.
Fortunately, there was no pressure on the blister while I was walking, so I just left it alone to heal.
I also have a friend who got an identical blister to mine when wearing Injinji socks.

€83,-
Hi,
Always amazed by those who can accommodate all their belongings in 30/35 l...

Mine was 45 l on autumn caminos and it was tightly packed with the usual bare minimum for sunny and rainy weather (poncho, fleece...).

In the meantime I have purchased and used a Sierra Design Flex Capacitor 40-60 bag :
- a no brainer as regards capacity adequacy for my various needs (hiking, mountaineering...)
- light, at 2 lbs 10 oz / 1.19 kg
- superb back ventilation
- adequate back length (might not be the case with smaller bags).

The S.D. Flex Capacitor is an excellent backpack design and it had an excellent fit and felt darned good on me.

68L is huge. I’ve used an Osprey Kestrel 38L for years on caminos and have never quite filled it. Total weight including water and pack always between 6.5 - 7kg. My wife has walked with an Osprey tempest 30L, same story, weight including water never more than 5.5kg. A smallish pack containing only the essentials with the weight distributed correctly means that walking is much easier on feet, knees, back and shoulders. After a couple of days you genuinely forget you’re carrying it.

68L is huge. I’ve used an Osprey Kestrel 38L for years on caminos and have never quite filled it. Total weight including water and pack always between 6.5 - 7kg. My wife has walked with an Osprey tempest 30L, same story, weight including water never more than 5.5kg. A smallish pack containing only the essentials with the weight distributed correctly means that walking is much easier on feet, knees, back and shoulders. After a couple of days you genuinely forget you’re carrying it.

I think that maybe one thing that may help with comparisons is if we look at the specifications of the various backpacks, because the way sizes and capacities are stated can get a bit confusing.

The main bag of the ULA Circuit is 39 L. The exterior pockets, if stretched to their maximum limit, is about 29 L of the total volume of the backpack. So the main bag is only 1 Liter larger than the Kestrel, or about 9 liters more than the Osprey Tempest.

The Circuit is about 5 ounces heavier than the Tempest. . . that goes down to a two ounce difference when the optional parts on the backpack are removed (they really aren't needed anyway). The Circuit is about 16 ounces lighter than the Kestrel.

A superb feature set for the ULA backpacks are the 4 point adjustment of the hipbelt that helps conform the wide hipbelt to the hips. The choice of either the 'J' shaped shoulder harness, or the 'S' shaped shoulder harness can also help customize the backpacks to upper body differences.

It will work. Actually just about any pack will work. I have used three different packs on my Camino(s) and they are all completely different. Range from a 40L frameless military ruck to modern 48L and 32L packs. I never tested any of them before I walked and never weighed them or the contents before I left for the Camino. I simply packed them as light as possible and I was off, lol. Key words...pack as light as possible.
On the Camino you will see every type of pack imaginable, and guess what...they all get to Santiago lol.
The only stipulation I would throw out there is that if you plan on carrying your pack in the airplane, try and use the smallest pack you can.

And that's another good example of how there is never one thing that is perfect for everyone. Some people swear by toe socks, for others they are a total disaster. I have wide feet and the extra space it takes up in a shoe makes them impractical for one thing. On the one occasion I tried them in a shoe that had enough space I developed blisters between my toes within an hour.
Lol! I have wide feet, also. Apparently, I have a man's foot - women's boots don't fit me at all.
And, boy, is that man going to be mad at me when he catches up with me, which will be a while, because I have his feet.

Do not overlook the advantages of an external frame pack:

- Well-designed external frame packs hold the entire pack (except for the hip belt, ventilated trampoline band, and the shoulder straps) away from your back, thus facilitating air flow across your back, and providing a cooler experience.

- The fact that the body of the external frame back will not be constantly rubbing against the back of your shirt will reduce the amount of abrasion damage to your shirts.

- Some (most?) external frame packs provide many adjustments of suspension elements to suit the physiognomy of individual users. These can include offsetting the top attachment points of the shoulder straps either to the right or left, also up or down as you choose, moving the hip belt anchoring points either up or down on the frame, ditto for trampoline band, adjusting the overall length of the frame, etc. In my experience, internal frame packs do not provide as many adjustments.

Some folks will point out that external frame packs have a greater tendency to snag when one is pushing through brush and closely-spaced trees. That may be true, however there is no need to push through brush and closely-spaced trees on the Camino de Santiago.

-

Some packs (also some ponchos and raincoats, etc.) have an internal coating of urethane polymer which can develop an offensive odour over time, especially if subjected to heat and moisture. I have had success eliminating the stink by removing all metal and hard components, turning the stinky coated textiles inside-out, and then machine-laundering them at a laundromat in a large front-loading machine using warm water and the normal amount of detergent, rinsing very well, and hang-drying at room temperature. Turn outside-out again then reassemble the metal and hard components.

The laundering dissolved and washed away the decayed urethane film. I can live quite happily without the decayed urethane film but could not live with its stink. Note: To avoid abrasion damage, do not use a top-loading washing machine and do not tumble dry.
I agree with Pilgrim9. I use an external framed 65L military A.L.I.C.E. pack and have done sofor many years. I backpack the Australian bush and have been fortunate enough to do so in every state except Western Australia. It is designed to carry heavy weights. is comfortable (I have modified it to include a better shoulder strap adjustment system and a chest band) and as I can still carry weight (69 yrs old) and train with it on weekly walks, 19kg) I do not worry about how heavy it is - YET.
I am a big fan of the adage that we are fit for what we train for and for the last 53 years when I first started that has worked well for me. I have walked 3 FCs and have enjoyed each with no adverse weight issues. If we get use to it and look after it then our kit will look after us and Buen Camino.

No need to push through bushes? You’ve stayed on the Camino Francés, then?
The best argument for a big backpack is that you can take a whole Jamón Serrano home afterwards…
I walked all of the Camino Francés, Camino Português, Camino de Fisterra, & the Camino de Ferrol without encountering any backpack-grabbing vegetation. My diligent search for same will continue on other routes.

I agree that one should keep space for a few Jamón Serranos 😉

I'm in agreement with some of the other commenters that 68L is much larger than needed. I used a 40L Gregory Zulu pack in 2019 and had room to spare. However, it weighs 1.3 kg/1300g, or slightly more than the one you chose. https://www.gregorypacks.com/packs-bags/day-packs/zulu-40-1115ZUL40.html

However, I used a site called https://lighterpack.com/ to carefully plan what I took based on weight and use considerations. I kept my pack and contents to 10% of my body weight, around 8-9 kg.

My wife packed all of her gear in my former 28L pack. We walked from Porto to SdC.

Moral of the story, pack as light as you can with as little clothing and gear as you can. Your body will thank you!

Final decision today. Aleluia. Circuit is the one. Tried a bunch in the store today with same weight on, compared with the one i have and i just don't like the extra weight of the smaller packs. I could feel it. Plus mine get very small when tied. It also teached me how some weight makes a difference, i also want to pack even less now because of what i learned today. Backpack and shoes check👍Thank you all for your input.

Last edited:
Lol! I have wide feet, also. Apparently, I have a man's foot - women's boots don't fit me at all.
And, boy, is that man going to be mad at me when he catches up with me, which will be a while, because I have his feet.
I have a man's foot too, I just wish they would make man-shaped shoes in small enough sizes that I could wear them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OK, I am a total newbie to this Camino pilgrimage. I have two questions, if I may.
1) what is the forums thoughts on the Osprey Atmos AG 50?
It is 50 liters, but the top floating lid can be removed and used without, creating a pack closer to 40 liters. The attract is the carrying harness is very forgiving and good for those with creaky backs. The trade off of a bit of additional weight in exchange for a more comfortable carry is a trade I'd be inclined to make.
2) I've noticed services posted here that take your bag from town to town...so that you only hike with a hydration bag and snacks. Is that recommended? Can you do it for just some stretches of the path? If one feels like one is crashing a bit?
FWIW, I am on the older side (60 but enjoy walking...but recognize that a daily grind might create unexpected issues.
Any advice welcome. Thanks.

've noticed services posted here that take your bag from town to town...so that you only hike with a hydration bag and snacks. Is that recommended?
Yes, there are several companies that will transport your pack daily, including the Spanish Post Office.
Can you do it for just some stretches of the path? If one feels like one is crashing a bit?
Yes, there are envelopes in the albergues and other accommodations for the different transport companies. You let them know that you need your bag picked up, and where you want it sent, and put the fee in the envelope.
FWIW, I am on the older side (60 but enjoy walking...but recognize that a daily grind might create unexpected issues.
Stick around here for a while, and you will find that 60 is not necessarily the older side!

OK, I am a total newbie to this Camino pilgrimage. I have two questions, if I may.
It is 50 liters, but the top floating lid can be removed and used without, creating a pack closer to 40 liters. The attract is the carrying harness is very forgiving and good for those with creaky backs. The trade off of a bit of additional weight in exchange for a more comfortable carry is a trade I'd be inclined to make.
2) I've noticed services posted here that take your bag from town to town...so that you only hike with a hydration bag and snacks. Is that recommended? Can you do it for just some stretches of the path? If one feels like one is crashing a bit?

If your upper body fits within the 'trampoline' mesh back panel so that there is no rubbing or pressure points from the edges of the back panel, it is a comfortable backpack. I have not really found it to be superior in comfort for back issues over all other backpacks, but it is comfortable.

Outside of someone not 'fitting' the mesh back panel, the largest negative is weight, as you pointed out. It is double the weight of other quality backpacks around the same price point, which offer similar performance, comfort, and sometimes with better usability. Of course, if you are transporting the bag, weight is not an issue :)

The capacity (not size) is not really an issue, other than the added weight due to more material used.

Some unique things about the Atmos, and some other Osprey backpacks, are the methods they developed for adjusting the torso length with the shoulder harness assembly, and the hipbelt sizing.

Their torso length adjustability makes fine tuning the torso length fairly easy for those who are 'in-between' torso sizes of Osprey backpacks. The hipbelt adjustment tends to eliminate the need to purchase and install a new hipbelt if you go from a size Small hipbelt to a size Large. And vice versa.

There is nothing wrong with the Atmos, and a lot that is right. That same assessment would apply to a number of backpacks, too.

Feel free to contact me if i can be of help.

Thanks for both your helpful replies!
1) encouraging to know that there are others in my age range, even older. I must say that this is a welcoming community/subculture.
2) "Of course, if you are transporting the bag, weight is not an issue :)" LOL, well played sir.

These services exist on the Camino Frances and the Camino Portugues. I haven't heard of them on other Caminos.

As to whether they are recommended, that depends on whom you talk to. On the one hand, it obviously makes the walk somewhat easier. It reduces the physical demands which can be important, especially if there are issues or if one is facing an extra long day. On the other hand, it commits one to a specific destination, which some feel takes some of the spontaneity out of the Camino - the ability to decide in the moment where one wishes to stop for the day. As well, some feel that there are lessons to be learned in carrying everything you need on your back across the country, not least in the weight of one's possessions and the necessity that forces to reevaluate what is really necessary and why. Some just like the sense of accomplishment that comes with carrying one's own backpack. Others say "Why bother if someone will do it for me?"

It is certainly possible to do it for some stretches, but you generally have to decide before you leave in the morning that you will do so and where it is going. You can't decide in the middle of a day's walk that it is getting too much.

These services exist on the Camino Frances and the Camino Portugues. I haven't heard of them on other Caminos
I don't know about other companies, but Correos offers pack transfer on these routes:

"Paq Mochila is avaliable on the Frech Way from Roncesvalles, on the Portuguese Way from Tui, on the Coastal Portuguese Way from A Guarda, on the Primitive Way from Oviedo, on the Northern Way from Irún, on the English Way from Ferrol, on the Sanabria Way from Ourense and on the Way to Fisterra and Muxía. * Paq Mochila is also available on the French Way from Somport and on the Winter Way on request at paqmochila@correos.com."

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Via Podiensis (Le Puy route) also offers good pack transport the whole way, "Transports Claudine". My friend needed it at times and their service runs like a well oiled machine.

I have carried many pac
It seems on my treks and keep going lighter . I used Osprey atmosphere 65 for first 3 Caminos , they were lighter than the newer ones . I used a Gregory 30 for two Caminos and now am preparing for my next with a new Ultra Osprey exo 48 at 2 1/2 lbs and enough bells a whistles to do the job . My Gregory 30 was OK but everything needed to be just to fit . The exos is ,lighter and carry what I need and the new sweater from Astorga and a bottle of wine from portamarin . I don't want one that is too tight , I have others surprises for my ruck

Looks like very good pack to me. If you like it, buy it, bring it. The Camino is not technical. Just walking, not backpacking. Definitely no need to research and ponder on backpacks very much. People successfully walk the Camino with all manner of packs. I have even seen a pilgrim carrying their stuff in a sort of wicker basket pack thing.
If you are walking in the summer you will be carrying very little anyway and can just leave the lid off. Early summer, spring or fall? Keep the lid on for the few extra things you need to bring. If it becomes too much to be carried on a flight, you have probably packed too much. If you throw it up in the air and cannot catch it? You probably packed too much.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.