• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack on Trains

Sr.Bigote

Fifth Camino planned for 2023!
Time of past OR future Camino
2016 CF, 2017 CNorte, Prima, 2023 Portuguese
When travelling on Renfe trains in Spain with a larger backpack (45 liters), is it required to "check" the pack or can the pack travel with you in the railcar?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The racks are lovely but they don't have anything like the little cupboard doors we're used to seeing on airplanes. When we rode on a train in 2014 another party on the train car placed their pack and (unsecured) poles on the rack. The poles then promptly fell and hit the man next to me on the head! Knocked his glasses off, even. Please, please, secure your loose items against cascades.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, lots and lots of people travel with luggage on Spanish trains, so no problem with a pack. Essentially, if you can get it onto the train yourself, you can take it.

The situation described above works for the trains in France and Germany as well. You'll have to handle the baggage lifting yourself (and there can be a big step up from the platform). In addition to the overhead racks, there is usually a baggage rack area near the car entry/exit, for larger pieces.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The situation described above works for the trains in France and Germany as well. You'll have to handle the baggage lifting yourself (and there can be a big step up from the platform). In addition to the overhead racks, there is usually a baggage rack area near the car entry/exit, for larger pieces.
My / Our pack is always in the overhead rack in what ever train we are .
Absolutely not in the rack beside the entrance of the train .
Wish you well,Peter.

If you can get it on your back it will go in the rack on a normal train.
On the narrow gauge lines it might have to be by your feet as there is less luggage space. Also not very full trains, usually.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You should also appreciate that on fast inter-city trains all luggage is put through airport-style security machines; a sad legacy of the 2004 Madrid train station bombing

Noticed this at SDC.
At Irun and Palencia they carefully checked names against a list and then let you on to the platform to wait for the train. Ticket inspectors on trains seemed to circulate and tick names on their lists so they checked tickets.

Noticed this at SDC.
At Irun and Palencia they carefully checked names against a list and then let you on to the platform to wait for the train. Ticket inspectors on trains seemed to circulate and tick names on their lists so they checked tickets.

Seems to apply at major stations but not smaller halts. In February I took a train from Madrid Chamartin to A Gudina at the start of a walk along the Sanabres. Ticket check and luggage scanned on entering the platform at Chamartin. No barriers or security at all at smaller stations along the route where people boarded freely. Made me wonder quite what the rationale for these checks is.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I suspect terrorists would choose a major station or train service because this will have more impact on more people and cause major disruption

I have never noticed any security or identity check of any type on any train in Spain.

I have encountered drug sniffing dogs at many train stops and stations in Italy.

I always chuck my pack in the storage unit at the end of car. At some stations I will stand up and cast a wary eye on my bag before the train departs.
The only story I have ever heard about problems of this sort, was a young American pilgrim and her mother leaving from the Madrid Airport headed to Porto to start their Camino on a weekend. They mentioned there were was lots of unsavory youth hanging around. The young girl put her bag in the area at the end of the car and watched in horror as the train pulled away from an local stop and her bags was being carried off by one of the youth at one of the first stops. I doubt this is a common event but don't be stupid especially in your jet lagged state of mind.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don...I have actually seen that happen. Once the evil doers got on the stop before and then just grabbed bags at next stop and ran off. Another time, in France, they jumped on at the stop grabbed a bag and ran off.
Most people hardly noticed.
It happens...I just don't leave my pack on the luggage rack.

Security was very noticeable at SDC last October. All luggage was screened before we went to the platform and boarded the train to Palencia.

You should also appreciate that on fast inter-city trains all luggage is put through airport-style security machines; a sad legacy of the 2004 Madrid train station bombing

Any issue with carrying small "multitool" type knifes through security (that wouldn't pass through airport security)?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No security checks were made at Pamplona or Burgos a couple of years ago. There is plenty of room on those trains. I cannot speak for trains from Barcelona or Madrid.
The underground lines were very tight, not allowing photographs to be taken.

I do not leave my pack (or luggage) on the rack by the doors. I have seen luggage taken on a quick grab and go at a stop. They are right near the exit.
Keep your pack near you.

we did use these racks but always secured our packs together with a cable lock - so good luck tyrying to quickly make off with 30kgs !

We still always made sure they were secure though - or put them in the seat above us if we could

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Any issue with carrying small "multitool" type knifes through security (that wouldn't pass through airport security)?

We went through security a couple times at Madrid Atocha station with knives in our packs and no one said anything about them. Security definitely isn't as tight as at airports.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.