• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack packing list 4 beginning of March camino

jamesw3435

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2015 Ssint jean to Santiago
With 31 days before I leave I hav3 narrowed down my pack, total weight is 16 1/2 pounds down from 17 1/2 pounds. Think I did well, when I was in the army I carried three times as much. This pack fits me well I tried many months back before I bought this one, so at this stage of the game I won't be buying a new one I am happy with this backpack. On my packing list I would rather have to something and have to throw it away then not having it and freeze while crossing the pyrenees or experience snow. I won't be taking the
Napoléon route.

Image before I removed one pound
20150125_142422_zps800f4b71.jpg

20150126_155237_zps69722d11.jpg

Small rock
Winter jacket
1 pair of Gloves
1 Winter hat
1 fleece
1 sweat pants
2 pair of pants
2 short sleeve shirts
1 long sleeve shirt
1 fast dry light under armor bottom
1 under armor fast long sleeve shirt
2 pair of hiking socks
My blister supplies
Sleeping bag
Small Water proof document bag
1 pair of sandals
Rain gear
Sunglasses
2 tubes Chapstick
Tablet with charger, waist pack
Guide book,passport , pilgrims passport
rosary
Scallop shell
body care products

walking stick , buying in Saint Jean and mailing it home when done.
I don't not enjoy trekking poles a stick Is my preference

My personal Facebook group where my Camino updates will be posted
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1489322237948292/

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Agree on the socks - bring another pair (one wet, one dry, one on) and I might bring one less pair of trousers, eg bring wool long johns instead of sweat pants. In fact, I'd bring more wool, but I'm leaving from Astorga and heading into the hills medio March. Buen Camino!

Hard to find long Johns in florida lol, could buy online but my sweat paints are thicker and warmer then long Johns not the typical sweat pants i I want to wear under my pants. I'm 140 so if it's cold layers. I have A 2nd pair of paints that I can wear when I'm checking out a city ect, after my Camino I have at least 4 days in Santiago before my flight home. Don't want the same pants every day, being I'm on a short budget I don't want to be buying pants in Santiago
Agree on the socks - bring another pair (one wet, one dry, one on) and I might bring one less pair of trousers, eg bring wool long johns instead of sweat pants. In fact, I'd bring more wool, but I'm leaving from Astorga and heading into the hills medio March. Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Some questions / suggestions:

My blister supplies - exactly what and how much does it weight?
Rain gear - exactly what and how much does it weight?
2 tubes Chapstick - wouldn't one be enough?

What about the 'body care kit'?

Buen Camino! SY

I think you'll find most peregrinos wear exactly the same two pairs of trousers day in, day out, in the evenings and in Santiago. You don't need to bring an extra item of clothing just for that. It makes sense to have two pairs though and if you can easily carry it and the sweat pants will keep you warm, by all means take them. But you don't *need* to bring 'nice clothes' for this trip. Function beats form every time (says the colour co-ordinated peregrina :oops:)!

Does not weigh much , did not weigh each object.
Antibacterial cream, tape, blister pads 2 packages of six took them out of the box and but it all in a small zip lock bag. I don't do the needle an thread method so I don't have that include

Rain gear is a top and bottom, set made by frogg togg
light weight stands up to rain well.

Chapestick, in case I lose one, no need to buy one in country if I lose one if I already have it

Body care, already have it forgot to include on list

Buen Camino! SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looks good to me then and may I congratulate you for "I don't do the needle an thread method so I don't have that include" very, very wise move! Buen Camino! SY
PS Being nitty-picky (spelling?) "in case I lose one" is packing your fears also ;)

They are not nice clothes just an extra hiking pant a pair of work dickies, I had not wore yet, I've done research since last March and have seen people use the same pants, just a personal preference. One could fall in to a mud puddle lol
I think you'll find most peregrinos wear exactly the same two pairs of trousers day in, day out, in the evenings and in Santiago. You don't need to bring an extra item of clothing just for that. It makes sense to have two pairs though and if you can easily carry it and the sweat pants will keep you warm, by all means take them. But you don't *need* to bring 'nice clothes' for this trip. Function beats form every time (says the colour co-ordinated peregrina :oops:)!

Last edited:
I misplace them all the time here ,
Looks good to me then and may I congratulate you for "I don't do the needle an thread method so I don't have that include" very, very wise move! Buen Camino! SY
PS Being nitty-picky (spelling?) "in case I lose one" is packing your fears also ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
With 31 days before I leave I hav3 narrowed down my pack, total weight is 16 1/2 pounds down from 17 1/2 pounds. Think I did well, when I was in the army I carried three times as much. This pack fits me well I tried many months back before I bought this one, so at this stage of the game I won't be buying a new one I am happy with this backpack. On my packing list I would rather have to something and have to throw it away then not having it and freeze while crossing the pyrenees or experience snow. I won't be taking the
Napoléon route.

Image be for I removed one pound
20150125_142422_zps800f4b71.jpg

20150126_155237_zps69722d11.jpg

Small rock
Winter jacket
1 pair of Gloves
1 Winter hat
1 fleece
1 sweat pants
2 pair of pants
2 short sleeve shirts
1 long sleeve shirt
1 fast dry light under armor bottom
1 under armor fast long sleeve shirt
2 pair of hiking socks
My blister supplies
Sleeping bag
Small Water proof document bag
1 pair of sandals
Rain gear
Sunglasses
2 tubes Chapstick
Tablet with charger, waist pack
Guide book,passport , pilgrims passport
rosary
Scallop shell
body care products

My personal Facebook group where my Camino updates will be posted
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1489322237948292/
Nice to see a fellow vet walking. I only have 2 suggestions add 2 more pr socks for all day down pours, & take the lightest serrated folding knife you can find (or purchase) to slice bread, cheese, meat. For places that food is only available in a store. Your going to have a good time!

I'LL probably add more socks, I might be carrying my pack on so I'll get a knife in country ,we can't be taking knives on board flights lol. I am on a 20 to 30 euro budget so I will be buying a lot of my own food on long the way to make cheap meals
Nice to see a fellow vet walking. I only have 2 suggestions add 2 more pr socks for all day down pours, & take the lightest serrated folding knife you can find (or purchase) to slice bread, cheese, meat. For places that food is only available in a store. Your going to have a good time!

We had a conversation on how to Camino on a 25 euro a day budget on my Facebook group. Welcome to join and add to the conversation

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A Camino on a 25 Euro budget is easily doable and actually still quite luxury, just resist the cafe con leche temptations on the way and prepare always your own food and you could walk for even less. Buen Camino! SY

I'LL probably add more socks, I might be carrying my pack on so I'll get a knife in country ,we can't be taking knives on board flights lol
I just found a cheap zippered bag & checked it. Tossed the bag once I got to St Jean, then found another one for flying back in Madrid. I don't see walking poles but they make you a believer once you use them. In the gumbo mud you will face plant without them. Also they work in buildings in window wells to use as drying racks (the rock buildings are thick so the windows are set in deep.) But lots of folks go without them your young & the army teaches face plants, if you start getting knee pain 2 things get pole(s) & go to any Farmicia (Pharmacy) & get a knee brace, takes the pain away. Also there are young Pharmacy techs that almost every one speaks English, so not only are they helpful but pretty to look at. :)

Lol, I'm also counting sleeping cost in that figure as well, being 5 to 10 euro is what most albergues, going for
A Camino on a 25 Euro budget is easily doable and actually still quite luxury, just resist the cafe con leche temptations on the way and prepare always your own food and you could walk for even less. Buen Camino! SY

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dont check bags much don't trust the airline with getting my pack for Orlando to Miami on one airline then onto another airline to Spain with out losing it. Im Buying a walking stick in Saint Jean and mailing it back when done , I don't like trekking poles, I prefer a walking stick. :) pharmacy tech
I just found a cheap zippered bag & checked it. Tossed the bag once I got to St Jean, then found another one for flying back in Madrid. I don't see walking poles but they make you a believer once you use them. In the gumbo mud you will face plant without them. Also they work in buildings in window wells to use as drying racks (the rock buildings are thick so the windows are set in deep.) But lots of folks go without them your young & the army teaches face plants, if you start getting knee pain 2 things get pole(s) & go to any Farmicia (Pharmacy) & get a knee brace, takes the pain away. Also there are young Pharmacy techs that almost every one speaks English, so not only are they helpful but pretty to look at. :)

Last edited:
Lol, I'm also counting sleeping cost in that figure as well, being 5 to 10 euro is what most albergues, going for

I assumed so much, still that leaves you 15 to 20 Euro for anything else per day, which makes for a comfortable Camino in my experience! SY

That's good, with the exception of Leon the paradore was doing a 85 dollar special that I might do depending on my money situation when I arrive there
I assumed so much, still that leaves you 15 to 20 Euro for anything else per day, which makes for a comfortable Camino in my experience! SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey James, ... I'm so excited for you... I remember when I was packing and debating what to bring and not to. Finally my kit was just perfect - I would not change one thing!! I had 13 pounds, so had "space" for food and water for everyday rations (about 2 to 3 pounds)... For sure, more socks. Merino wool are the best, by far - I went with 4 pairs and wasn't too much... would alway take off my boots when stopping for lunch, take my socks off to air feet and then put a new pair on for the rest of the day (this really help avoid blisters). Would wash both those pairs in the evening, hand them to dry but would never be completely dry in the morning. Would hang them on my backpack for them to dry completely when I walk during the day (check photo below where I'm resting in the sun :eek:) and have socks hanging from my pack with safety pins - bring a dozen safety pins, very practical.) - so there goes 4 pairs!! I was in November, so probably some similar weather... got some snow and freezing temperatures. Take a look at my stuff if that can help - any questions let me know. Enjoy my man!! You are ready and can always buy along the way of needed and if not you'll survive ;o)Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 8.43.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 8.51.12 AM.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Screenshot_2015-01-30-22-15-28-1_zps00fb7d3a.png

Buen Camino! SY
Screenshot_2015-01-30-22-15-28-1_zps00fb7d3a.png

I'd probably ditch the sweatpants. Is that a heavy winter coat? If so, I'd ditch that too in favor of a fleece type, and layer under it if need be.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wish people would explain the magical European blister care product Compeed. They say we Americans should all ditch our Moleskins and buy Compeed when we arrive at the trailhead. They don't say why Compeed is better - I assume its active ingredients are unicorn hide and rainbows. :-]

Is it then the magical cuddly unicorn or the collorfull rainbow ingredient that keeps ruining my socks?

I wish people would explain the magical European blister care product Compeed. They say we Americans should all ditch our Moleskins and buy Compeed when we arrive at the trailhead. They don't say why Compeed is better - I assume its active ingredients are unicorn hide and rainbows. :-]

I am an European but could never understand the hype around Compeed. Actually, cynical me can, as it is so heavily marketed / advertised. Basically it is based on hydro-colloid bandages used for treating open wounds. How it made the jump to 'blister prevention' is beyond me. Cynical me again: "Oh look, we have a product here to whom else can we sell it to?" Compeed is great if you lost the skin over your blister, because as a second skin it replaces the missing skin. For the rest of blister care it really helps much and sometimes it even causes additional problems. Buen Camino, SY

Never use compeed myself. If and when it comes off, it sticks to the inside of your sock and is virtually impossible to remove. I used blister plasters bought in a discount store and on the few occasions I needed them, they were as good as any. Might sound silly, but best cure for blisters is prevention. On another subject, I see in the picture some antibiotics. While researching vaccinations for Guatemala recently, I came across advice to bring broad spectrum antibiotics to Spain. Seems there is a high resistance to antibiotics in Spain. Dont ask me what broad spectrum means, dont have a clue :)

Here is why I think it is better:

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2012/03/all-about-compeed.html

To me the difference between Compeed and moleskin is like the difference between a cell phone and a dial phone.... but as all things with the Camino, it's YOUR Camino.

My advice for new pilgrims is to listen to what people have to say who have experience and who have walked once or many times before you, then do whatever makes your heart happy!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dont ask me what broad spectrum means, dont have a clue
It means an antibiotic aiming to kill many different bacteria strains - and mostly failing at this due to resistance. BTW self-treating if antibiotics is one, if not the one, main reason for antibiotic resistent bacteria strains like MRSI. SY

Basically it is based on hydro-colloid bandages used for treating open wounds. How it made the jump to 'blister prevention' is beyond me.
Blisters are essentially like a burn. Keep them covered and clean. Don't need a hydro-colloid to do that really. Keeping the wound bed moist may help the skin to heel I suppose, but I can't imagine walking with one one on? Glad the OP does not do the thread thing. Seems like you are just asking for an infection with that kind of treatment.

Yes, threads through blisters are just inviting an infection! SY

Blisters are essentially like a burn. Keep them covered and clean. Don't need a hydro-colloid to do that really. Keeping the wound bed moist may help the skin to heel I suppose, but I can't imagine walking with one one on? Glad the OP does not do the thread thing. Seems like you are just asking for an infection with that kind of treatment.
Used the thread treatment on the few occasions I had a small blister. However, blister site, needle and thread were sterilised with whiskey, a small hip flask of which I carry for 'medicinal purposes only' :). Also sterilised my hands with gel first. Never had a problem with infection. A useful purchase if it can be found is a small bottle of sterilising gel that comes with a karibinor. I hang it on a D ring on my hiking vest and am never without it

You can't sterilize your hands, skin, needle or thread on the journey. You can only disinfect them - HUGE difference! SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Agreed. A thread especially left in is like a wick drawing the bacteria into the affected area.

Plus the irritation caused by the thread as foreign body. Thread + Blister = really bad idea! SY

But still the thread works works for many people and has been used for.......wel for ever. So lets not over exaggerate. If done right, the risks aren't really that big.
I am sure lots of people here will agree, but then again, lots will disagree as well. So best thing for everyone is just to try what works for you when it comes to blister treatment.

If i have a serious enough blister, i disinfect the needle, soak the thread in iodine and then also the blister and its fresh punctured openings as well. Stings like a bee, but never head any problems with disinfection. Believe me, i have threaded many a blister and my feet are still attached to the bottom of my legs...ten toes and all.

What works for my feet was moleskin but that is all I have known hiking in MT for 40 + years. Just a thought for those going get 2 extra sets of foot cushions cut 1 in half so you can build up the foot bed to reduce frictionunder the ball of your foot. Placing the uncut cushion on top. If you start getting large blisters try it.

I might add a (seemingly) silly item to your list that I actually ended up using quite a bit: 6-8 wooden clothespins. They aren't always available at alberques, and I used them several times to pin socks that hadn't dried completely overnight to the outside of my pack to finish drying as I walked the next morning. :)
Buen Camino!

They are not nice clothes just an extra hiking pant a pair of work dickies, I had not wore yet, I've done research since last March and have seen people use the same pants, just a personal preference. One could fall in to a mud puddle lol
You make me laugh! I am old and not athletic. I have walked the Camino Frances from beginning to end three times, as well as 500k of the Arles/Aragones Camino, and a 200K 'Camino' in Quebec in the past four years and I NEVER ONCE fell into a mud puddle!! Think Noah's Ark - take only two of everything. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use safetypins for that. 'Saves' room and weight :)

and a 200K 'Camino' in Quebec in the past four years and I NEVER ONCE fell into a mud puddle!! Think Noah's Ark - take only two of everything. :)
Hello Marylynn, out of curiosity where did you walk in Qc?

One more suggestion.... If you are taking a sleeping bag, you will appreciate a Sea to Summit dry bag if it rains heavily. My backpack cover accumulated about a liter of water at the bottom and my sleeping bag would have been soaked. Also these bags act like a compression to easily fit the sleeping bag in the compartment of the backpack. They are a bit expensive, but weigh almost nothing.
The one thing I lacked and will surely take next (!) time is a monocular - like a small binocular. Very light and slightly larger than a Chapstick but would be so nice to see the details in the churches, as well as birds, surveying the vistas ahead (that hill 10km before Burgos for example.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One more suggestion.... If you are taking a sleeping bag, you will appreciate a Sea to Summit dry bag if it rains heavily. My backpack cover accumulated about a liter of water at the bottom and my sleeping bag would have been soaked. Also these bags act like a compression to easily fit the sleeping bag in the compartment of the backpack. They are a bit expensive, but weigh almost nothing.
The one thing I lacked and will surely take next (!) time is a monocular - like a small binocular. Very light and slightly larger than a Chapstick but would be so nice to see the details in the churches, as well as birds, surveying the vistas ahead (that hill 10km before Burgos for example.)

I helped pull,push.carry a pilgrim and his wheelchair up that hill,most fun i had on my Camino :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That is one of the reasons why a rain suit and pack cover are not as useful as an Altus-type poncho! The Altus covers the gap between the pilgrim's back and the pack, and prevents water from wicking onto the pack and its contents.
Rain suit, packcover - and an Alto poncho!!!

heum... not fun to have water in the pack... my MEC backback cover worked perfectly, as well as my MEC rain gear - really water repellant and confortable. Shoes also!! my Salomon never got a drop of water inside, while mant others had wet feet. A blessing to be dry when you walk all day...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, or the very similar Ferrino. In keeping with the spirit of not taking something you "might" need, I suggest avoiding the rain suit. If it is your outerwear, though, then only the pants are unnecessary. Getting into and out of rain pants with boots and muddy ground is a tribulation best avoided!!

Ha ha yes i found that out last year,cheers.

For people who know the spots on their feet that are inclined to get blisters I think Compeed or the pictured Band-aid product that looks the same would be a worthwhile preventative to stick on the trouble spots. Compeed comes in a variety of sizes and shapes. I got blisters walking around Barcelona before I ever arrived on the Camino. Compeed kept the blisters protected from further rubbing and irritation while I walked and the plasters stuck in place firmly and allowed the raw areas to heal. And yes, the adhesive and sometimes pieces of the plasters stuck to my socks, but that was a minor problem as I was able to protect the blisters with a product that stuck in place for a couple of days allowing me to keep walking. I appreciated that the plasters remained firmly stuck in place through at least one shower and another days' walking, as purchasing them regularly adds a slight cost to the expense of walking the pilgrimage. I have never seen Compeed for sale in Canada, but I've heard of people seeing it in large city pharmacies - someone saw it for sale in Ottawa. Walmart had some very small plasters in their generic "equate" brand. Anyway, after I got home to Canada I saturated the black & greyish gunky adhesive residue on my socks with lighter fluid, a solvent that softened and loosened the mess with a little rubbing, and then I rubbed soap and water on the spots and picked the bits off with my fingers and sent it through the wash cycle and the sticky bits were pretty much gone by then.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am an European but could never understand the hype around Compeed. Actually, cynical me can, as it is so heavily marketed / advertised. Basically it is based on hydro-colloid bandages used for treating open wounds. How it made the jump to 'blister prevention' is beyond me. Cynical me again: "Oh look, we have a product here to whom else can we sell it to?" Compeed is great if you lost the skin over your blister, because as a second skin it replaces the missing skin. For the rest of blister care it really helps much and sometimes it even causes additional problems. Buen Camino, SY
Agree, I have walked under bad conditions with various Backpack weight between 45 till 65 kg, lots of kilometers cross country and only used sporttape to protect my feet. Never will leave without it any more. Even used outside my shoes to make them more stiff.

I'd probably ditch the sweatpants. Is that a heavy winter coat? If so, I'd ditch that too in favor of a fleece type, and layer under it if need be.
No winter coat, nothing heavy. I had layers and that was just perfect. During the day temps change so much. For real cold, I have short sleeve merino wool shirt, long sleeve merino wool shirt second layer, Salomon Fleece longsleeve vest and MEC windproof parka - gloves and tuque, with a neck Buff...

... I'm curious about this Quebec Camino too???
Sorry, I missed your question! I walked a 215km trail in the Saguenay region of Quebec in July 2014 with three friends I had met on the Camino in Spain. It was a beautiful walk. The first part was very hard and there was a fair bit of road walking. The accommodations included a 4*B&B, convents, a sport hotel, and cots in a corner of a community centre. All the hosts were friendly but few spoke English, and we met very few walkers along the way. It would be essential to be able to speak French on the phone to make reservations.
http://www.sentiernotredamekapatakan.org/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back