• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack Pillow

Gregory Graf

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
any insight as to whether a backpack pillow is a good backpack item? If so, any recommended brand/model?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What is a backpack pillow?

If it is supposed to serve as a pilow the answer is leave it home as albergues provide pillows.

I do suggest briging a pillow case or something that can serve as a pillow case, like a tshirt, keeping in mind that pillows in spain are looooong and narrrow, so a NorthAmerican pillowcase would need to be opened on both ends so the middle of the pillow is covered.

The need for a pillow? No. The need for a good nights sleep , very important. I am considering adding weight to my pack with the addition of a good quality cotton pillowcase. Sometimes I want it to be slightly more like home. Note the Spanish pillows are very long, don't fold well and are generally firm...... Ultreya.... Willy/Utah/USA

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The sleeping bag silk liner I bought has a fold over space to put a pillow in. If there are no pillows, I will do without. I did think about a travel pillow - but am trying very hard to keep the weight of my pack down.

I took a travel pillow on my recent camino. I used it in albergues with no pillows, such as the parochial albergues at Ares and Tosantos. But a small stuff sack which I took last year worked better. I rolled soft clothing and put it in the stuff sack to use as a pillow. It was lighter and more comfortable than the travel pillow and I shall be taking it with me on future caminos.

All the albergues that I stayed in had pillows. As mentioned, they are long and skinny. I believe that they are the same width as the twin bed mattresses, about 36".

A selection of Camino Jewellery
any insight as to whether a backpack pillow is a good backpack item? If so, any recommended brand/model?

Backpack pillow is useless weight.

Most albergues provide pillows. You might want for a pillow case.

If there are no pillows ... stuff your pillow case (or sleeping bag valise) with your extra clothing. On backpacking trips I carry two fleece jackets (cuz sometimes it gets cold) and that is usually enough. If using only a valise you can wrap a shirt around it (I don't like the feel of nylon on my face).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The need for a pillow? No. The need for a good nights sleep , very important. I am considering adding weight to my pack with the addition of a good quality cotton pillowcase. Sometimes I want it to be slightly more like home. Note the Spanish pillows are very long, don't fold well and are generally firm...... Ultreya.... Willy/Utah/USA
Thank you

@Gregory Graf I have not decided on whether I will bring a pillow, but here is a hyperlink to the Exped Air Pillow I use for camping. It only weighs 1.5 oz.
I started out with one of these this year, but someone decided they needed it more than I did. It is an excellent choice if you do decide to take a supplementary pillow rather than rely on using clothes, boots, etc to make an expedient pillow.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I carried a zippered pillowcase cover with me and there was a pillow at every place we stopped. Just zipped it over their pillow and it worked great. No problems with bedbugs from the pillow and I slept better knowing I had that cover between my head and their pillow.

Save the space and leave the extra weight at home. You won't need the pillow. The only problem I had was when pillows were too soft, so I would have to extra clothing to firm it up

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A good pillow is important to me. Back and neck issues and I can't get good rest without it. Some people, it doesn't matter. That being said, I carried a Sea to Summit inflatable. Fits really well for side-sleepers; weighs in at under 3 oz. and packs really small. As stated before, most Spanish albergues have long pillows covered in a rubber pillowcase and you put a paper, disposable pillowcase over that. One of the many choices you'll have to make, I'm sure!

I never had a night without a pillow supplied by the albergue. I brought an old pillowcase that was very soft and weighed next to nothing. It was a standard size case. I just laid it over the pillow and had no issues with it slipping off.

I have one but did not take it, nor did I need it. It's this compressible one from MEC (Canada) https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5023-543/Base-Camp-Pillow It weights 212g.

A better choice for size/weight might be one of the inflatable neck pillows for air, train and bus travel to and from the Camino. It can also be used for night sleep while walking and would take up less space and be lighter. MEC has one that weighs only 64g. We did bring a travel pillow with us for the flight to Madrid (8hrs), flight to Barcelona (1.5hrs), train to Ponferrada (9hrs) and train from SdC to Madrid (5hrs) and it was regularly used.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Gregory,
I think a pillow is a matter of personal preference. I felt I did not need one and most days I did not. However, at Viana and Granon I really wished I had one. My stuff sack with a few clothes inside just did not cut it. My husband had brought a tiny blow up camping pillow (also has a little down inside) because he puts a small pillow between his knees to sleep at home. He used it every day of our journey. It weighed about 1 oz. We both used a scarf as a pillow cover in albergues. I had brought one from home and used it a lot as a scarf and also as a wrap or light cover. My husband bought an inexpensive one in an Asian market store in Pamplona. He also used it for other purposes.

i know many people that carry backpacking pillows. And thats cool. I don't. Nothing against them. I simply use my jacket or some clothes in one of my stuff sacks or some other improvised setup. Less weight and it works for me. I also bring my Eno hammock whenever i travel. And if i sleep in that, i never even use a pillow.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm a big fan of bringing my own pillow. I like waking up refreshed and part of that for me is having a consistent pillow every night that is the right height for my head/neck. I found the Albergues pillows were generally quite large and firm which would not have been good for me. I carry a Therm-a-Rest foam camping pillow (size medium) which weighs around 9oz and rolls up to the size of a large thermos.

I'm a big fan of bringing my own pillow. I like waking up refreshed and part of that for me is having a consistent pillow every night that is the right height for my head/neck. I found the Albergues pillows were generally quite large and firm which would not have been good for me. I carry a Therm-a-Rest foam camping pillow (size medium) which weighs around 9oz and rolls up to the size of a large thermos.
Thanks. I'll look for one at REI

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.