• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack Protection in Luggage

memusic2002

Time of past OR future Camino
April - June 2023
Any recommendations for a good inexpensive reliable cover for a Osprey Kestrel 36 backpack for air travel. I read that the Small Osprey protector is very loose. Any other ideas would be helpful or I will likely just get the Osprey and have some extra room. Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ikea Frakta zipper bag? We use them for other things like camping or fishing gear, but should work for a backpack if you are planning on checking it.
frakta-storage-bag-for-cart-blue__0711261_pe728099_s5.jpg

Thank you. I saw that online but wasn't sure how secure the straps are when it goes through the airline handlers. Was afraid my tag might rip off. Do you use any tape around if just throw the backpack in it and hand it the airline. Flying from USA to Biarritz. Seems like it meets the airline dimension requirements for checked bags and should be able to fold up in the pack for return home and the dimensions seem like it will fit the Osprey Kestrel 36 just right. Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Some people wrap them in plastic, but I am not a single use plastics fan. These Frakta bags are pretty bombproof and you can use them again or give them away. They make an awesome laundry bag or storage bag. I have just checked my backpack for a couple of short haul trips with a couple of duct tape wraps--no bag.

Why not carry your backpack on the plane? If you have items that won't be accepted in a carry-on like a knife or poles, then you can check them in in a small bag.
Nor sure if it will make the carry on dimensions. I'll have to see. Think I am just over

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Nor sure if it will make the carry on dimensions. I'll have to see. Think I am just over
The dimensions quoted by the manufacturer are usually for a fully-packed backpack, including the top part. I suspect that if you leave the top pocket empty, yours will fit within the requirements. Only the length of the long stiff part of the frame is important, and it is likely shorter than the limit.

As @trecile says, send as check luggage, a small bag (or cardboard box) separately with a few items that could easily be replaced. This makes far more sense to me that buying another bag to carry your bag, and then carrying both for 800 km.

When I have had to check a back pack, I have simply tied up the floppy straps and sent it onto the carrousel uncovered. Nowadays, there is usually a tray for such items, so they are not so likely to get caught up. So far, so good.

The dimensions quoted by the manufacturer are usually for a fully-packed backpack, including the top part. I suspect that if you leave the top pocket empty, yours will fit within the requirements. Only the length of the long stiff part of the frame is important, and it is likely shorter than the limit.

As @trecile says, send as check luggage, a small bag (or cardboard box) separately with a few items that could easily be replaced. This makes far more sense to me that buying another bag to carry your bag, and then carrying both for 800 km.

When I have had to check a back pack, I have simply tied up the floppy straps and sent it onto the carrousel uncovered. Nowadays, there is usually a tray for such items, so they are not so likely to get caught up. So far, so good.
Thanks

I don't know which airline you are taking, but from the US we've always been able to take our packs as a carry on. I know that pilgrims from other parts of the world do have to check their packs as part of luggage.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you check your bag, especially if it is in some kind of cover, attach a baggage label with flight number, destination, date and contact details to both the cover and the backpack. The barcode labels they use at the check-in desk are designed for suitcases and can easily fall off or come unstuck from covers. Then if your bag does go astray it can be find and returned to you quickly and easily.

If your bag fits dimension wise - you could always do carry on (unless bringing items prohibited in Carry On. Another solution is to get your bag wrapped at the airport. I usually carry on my bag on the way to my destination - but I often check on the return home (not worried if it gets lost or delayed on the way home). If I have a backpack in which the straps can't be secured - then I have paid a small fee to have it wrapped (like saran wrap) before I check it in. They do an excellent job of ensuring all straps are secure, and even did some extra wrapping to secure poles and an umbrella which were outside of my bag.

Any recommendations for a good inexpensive reliable cover for a Osprey Kestrel 36 backpack for air travel. I read that the Small Osprey protector is very loose. Any other ideas would be helpful or I will likely just get the Osprey and have some extra room. Thank you.
Might this not be small enough to carry on? I have a Gregory Jade 38 and if I pull all the straps tight it becomes carry-on legal.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I bought a roller-duffle at a local thrift store. It's heavy cordera and the only problem is you can't just leave it anywhere without creating a bomb scare.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/paerkla-storage-case-50395382/ they do various sizes and thickness
I bought a roller-duffle at a local thrift store. It's heavy cordera and the only problem is you can't just leave it anywhere without creating a bomb scare.

Any recommendations for a good inexpensive reliable cover for an Osprey Kestrel 36 backpack for air travel. I read that the Small Osprey protector is very loose. Any other ideas would be helpful or I will likely just get the Osprey and have some extra room. Thank you.
I use an ikea laundry mesh bag and some cord to tie it up. Works a treat. I use the same cord as a washing line and a “belt” for my poncho if it’s windy. The mesh bag is very lightweight and packs down to nothing.
The cord also acts as a handhold for the baggage handlers which is a good thing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you. I saw that online but wasn't sure how secure the straps are when it goes through the airline handlers. Was afraid my tag might rip off. Do you use any tape around if just throw the backpack in it and hand it the airline. Flying from USA to Biarritz. Seems like it meets the airline dimension requirements for checked bags and should be able to fold up in the pack for return home and the dimensions seem like it will fit the Osprey Kestrel 36 just right. Thanks
I have the Kestrel 36 and it fits easily enough into the Ikea holdall with room to spare. I have a couple of extra straps just in case heavy handed handlers damage the holdall straps.

I personally never tried the Osprey small travel bag protector, but I have 4 sizes of Osprey backpacks from 32-65L, and have used the medium and large travel bags on several trips including Camino in 2014. I was able to wrap my trekking poles in bubble wrap and cardboard and placed them inside the Osprey travel bag together with my boots! I traveled with my TEVA sandals. Love how easy is to carry the bag with a shoulder strap, and easy to store away! Like I said I don’t know much about the small or if perhaps Osprey uses the medium for small bags. I also think the IKEA bag is a great alternative, I didn’t think of that in 2014. Hope this helps! BUEN CAMINO

Why not carry your backpack on the plane? If you have items that won't be accepted in a carry-on like a knife or poles, then you can check them in in a small bag.

Hmmm.... a well-meaning friend gave me a nylon bag made for carrying trekking poles and I simply have not known what to do with it... It's kind of like those yoga mat bags one seems people with, but much more narrow.

Because I like to have my poles from home, I always check my bag (avoid layovers, etc). But this "pole bag" is not rigid... I think my poles could be bent if I were to send them checked in that way. -- and if I'm going to check things in, I might was well check my whole pack rather than haul it around an airport...?

BUT... what do you think? Is a rigid container for poles a must if they are not protected in the interior of a pack?

I only check bags when I have direct flights, but I could see how separating my pack from those things that TSA requires to be in the hold would free me up to take connecting flights (except for how much I'd hate to lose my poles anyway).

Thoughts on the soft bag?

Experience with layovers and pole check-in?

I do have AirTags... so eventually my poles would get back to me, but a trip could be messed up without them arriving with me.

I have a conference in France this late spring... and I was thinking I'd use the opportunity to walk some piece of a way of St. James from *somewhere*, preferably with a strong medieval hospital network history.

So maybe *maybe* the soft bag has a purpose for getting my poles over and keeping my pack with me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We have poles that fold up with shock cords and fit in a little nylon and mesh bag from Black Diamond. They have gone with us as checked luggage in a fold up nylon bag. If yours are the longer ridget kind or made of carbon fiber it is probably best to have a cardboard container for support that can be recycled at your destination.

I carried my pack on for the trip to the Camino from the US (Gregory Zulu 40). I carried the IKEA bag in the bottom of my pack. It weighs next to nothing. Then, I used the bag to check my pack (with poles) for the return journey. Worked perfectly. Buen Camino!

Are you planning on carrying all your camino stuff all the way everyday?
Or, are you planning on using a luggage transport service so you only have to carry those things essential for one day's walk at a time?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As I did carry on with my pack I had no need for protection. I just had to make sure was that was my pack was not bigger than the airlines carry on requirements.

We have poles that fold up with shock cords and fit in a little nylon and mesh bag from Black Diamond. They have gone with us as checked luggage in a fold up nylon bag. If yours are the longer ridget kind or made of carbon fiber it is probably best to have a cardboard container for support that can be recycled at your destination.
Sounds like we have the same poles... and it sounds like you would not ship them without the surrounding protection of the rest of your packs.
As I use my poles almost daily, I think I will find a place to donate the nylon bag. It would only be "extra weight" for me in cargo and on the trail.
Thanks for letting me know how you use yours! (To keep my poles from poking or dirtying my stuff in the pack for transit, I wrap the tips with a small piece of cloth and an elastic band, so that literally covers that concern).
Cheers!

I used a big zippered laundry bag as I wanted to take my treking poles as not sure I would have time to buy in portugal when I arrived, gave bag to first person who wanted it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you’re worried about the tag, write your info directly on the IKEA bag with a fat Sharpie.

Ikea Frakta zipper bag? We use them for other things like camping or fishing gear, but should work for a backpack if you are planning on checking it.
Hopefully, a good solution. I picked up a couple of these to check backpacks for an upcoming Camino. Direct flight ATL to MAD, so not overly concerned packs will end up in Timbuktu! Normally, I wouldn't think of checking the backpacks; however, on our last flight back from Spain we routed via JFK. Packs were fine on the overseas leg, but a smaller aircraft (with tiny overhead bins) on the leg from JFK to ATL caused some real 'space' issues. We were very lucky as the folk sitting behind us had no luggage to store overhead.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used these duffel bags from REI which are designed to solve this exact problem. We forwarded them on to Santiago, in a box with other useful things for the trip home, before we left.

€60,-
Does your airline provide plastic bags for backpacks? As a Canadian, both Air Canada and WestJet provide heavy mil plastic bags to put your pack in. In 45 years of wandering the earth I have never had backpack damage from the airline. They are durable enough to use for a number of flights.

Hmmm.... a well-meaning friend gave me a nylon bag made for carrying trekking poles and I simply have not known what to do with it... It's kind of like those yoga mat bags one seems people with, but much more narrow.

Because I like to have my poles from home, I always check my bag (avoid layovers, etc). But this "pole bag" is not rigid... I think my poles could be bent if I were to send them checked in that way. -- and if I'm going to check things in, I might was well check my whole pack rather than haul it around an airport...?

BUT... what do you think? Is a rigid container for poles a must if they are not protected in the interior of a pack?

I only check bags when I have direct flights, but I could see how separating my pack from those things that TSA requires to be in the hold would free me up to take connecting flights (except for how much I'd hate to lose my poles anyway).

Thoughts on the soft bag?

Experience with layovers and pole check-in?

I do have AirTags... so eventually my poles would get back to me, but a trip could be messed up without them arriving with me.

I have a conference in France this late spring... and I was thinking I'd use the opportunity to walk some piece of a way of St. James from *somewhere*, preferably with a strong medieval hospital network history.

So maybe *maybe* the soft bag has a purpose for getting my poles over and keeping my pack with me.
I disassemble my poles before packing in my rucksack. This makes them shorter so I can have some padding (clothing and a towel) over the ends. Bags get bounced around a lot when travelling by air so I do what I can to protect them. Not sure what help a “yoga bag” would be. I have the one my poles came in but have never used it, and it would be dead weight on the walk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used the IKEA Frakta bag on the trip to Portugal and gave it away at my Porto Hostel. The receptionist was quite happy to receive it.
For the way home, I bought a simple raffia bag for under 1€ in a hardware store in Santiago, put it over the backpack, made a cut for the handle and taped it closed at the bottom.

IMG_9067.jpeg

Theoretically, if you got more patience than i do, you can wrap your pack with saran wrap for some added protection. So you don't have to carry that cover for the camino.
Maybe not the most enviromentally concious option, but then, neither is flying.

Hi I used the Osprey airporter bag for my 36 litre pack,which folds down small enough to fit in rour backpack after use.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230216_150009_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230216_150009_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 19
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If your bag fits dimension wise - you could always do carry on (unless bringing items prohibited in Carry On. Another solution is to get your bag wrapped at the airport. I usually carry on my bag on the way to my destination - but I often check on the return home (not worried if it gets lost or delayed on the way home). If I have a backpack in which the straps can't be secured - then I have paid a small fee to have it wrapped (like saran wrap) before I check it in. They do an excellent job of ensuring all straps are secure, and even did some extra wrapping to secure poles and an umbrella which were outside of my bag.
Who provides this wrapping service? The airlines? Some sort of kiosk?

Thanks!

Kevin

€60,-
FYI - just used/checked-in the generic equivalent of the IKEA bag on a LAX-SFO-NYC flight. No issues at all with the bag handlers. I think this bag is the simplest and most straightforward approach.

I used Foldable Duffel Bag 30" / 75L Lightweight with Water Resistant for Travel
not only it took my Gregory Zulu 35L and the poles, but wound up being my "transfer-ahead" piece through all Frances and Finisterre (not what was planned initially - see below); then traveled to Madrid and nicely got checked-in with backpack & poles again.
I was more than impressed - very sturdy, waterproof (at least in my case nothing got wet inside and I did hit about 10 days of rain in Galicia....granted it did traveled in a closed van.... unlike me...;))
In any case it is foldable to a small pouch, which was the initial thought to simply convert it back to that after getting it back from airline and drop to the bottom of backpack for the duration.

Good luck with your quest and Buen Camino!

Attachments

• duffel bag.JPG
    duffel bag.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 13
Who provides this wrapping service? The airlines? Some sort of kiosk?

Thanks!

Kevin
Yes - it is a kiosk. If you can wrap at home before departure - you can do it for cheaper probably. But usually when I need to wrap a bag to check it, it is for the return flight home. Can't remember how much it costs. But convenient so I don't have to lug around a duffle bag or something or buy one at the last minute to check my backpack.

€60,-
Yes - it is a kiosk. If you can wrap at home before departure - you can do it for cheaper probably. But usually when I need to wrap a bag to check it, it is for the return flight home. Can't remember how much it costs. But convenient so I don't have to lug around a duffle bag or something or buy one at the last minute to check my backpack.
So there is one in Madrid airport? Anybody remember where and/or approximate cost? Does sound convenient!

So there is one in Madrid airport? Anybody remember where and/or approximate cost? Does sound convenient!
Yes - I definitely had my bag wrapped in Madrid. Somewhere near the check in desks before you check in and check your luggage. I even had my poles and umbrella sticking out of a pocket on the outside of the bag. They wrapped it really well and created a handle for me to carry the bag to the check in counter and after picking it up at baggage claim.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back