• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack Recommendation-REI Trail 40

Multipurpose

Time of past OR future Camino
March/April (2018) maybe 2017
Saw a backpack at my local Sacramento REI today that I think would be good for the El Camino. It's the REI Trail 40. It has a capacity of 40L which seems to be a good size for the El Camino. One of its best features is that it is a panel loader, so you can completely unzip the main compartment, or since it has four main compartment zippers, you can unzip only the bottom part for bottom access. There is an air channel up the back for ventilation. It comes in black or red. It costs $109 American and is very well made. Even though I already have a backpack, I am considering getting this one for the El Camino. Go the the REI site and search for "Trail 40" and check out its features.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Actually, it looks pretty interesting. Not sure if you have seen the bit strange but detailed preview:

While it is described as a 'Day Pack' it would seem to be good for the Camino. Just be sure that one of the two sizes really fits you (since the shoulder straps / torso length are fixed, and there are no lifters). Put 15 or 20 pounds in it and a couple other packs at REI and check the fit and comfort (if you happen to be a little north in Roseville, Bruce at REI is great at pack fitting).

Another thought, since there is no large external webbed pocket, you might want to carry a net bag that you could clip to the outside of the pack if you occasionally have damp items that you don't want inside the main compartment.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned the Marmot Graviton on another thread, and it also looks like a great pack. It has a "trampoline" type suspension system to provide air flow, and can unzip suitcase style. They have men's and women's models. Unfortunately, the women's model seems to be in short supply.
https://marmot.com/products/details/womens-graviton-36

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Actually, it looks pretty interesting. Not sure if you have seen the bit strange but detailed preview:

While it is described as a 'Day Pack' it would seem to be good for the Camino. Just be sure that one of the two sizes really fits you (since the shoulder straps / torso length are fixed, and there are no lifters). Put 15 or 20 pounds in it and a couple other packs at REI and check the fit and comfort (if you happen to be a little north in Roseville, Bruce at REI is great at pack fitting).

Another thought, since there is no large external webbed pocket, you might want to carry a net bag that you could clip to the outside of the pack if you occasionally have damp items that you don't want inside the main compartment.

Alright a local guy. Yes thank you, I did see that vid and I bought the red Trail 40 just like the one in the video. And yes I am familiar with Bruce at the Roseville store and bought the pack there although Bruce wasn't there at the time.

They measured my torso length and recommended the large for me. I am 6' 1" and 185 lbs.

There are load lifter straps on the shoulder straps and there is a medium sized mesh pocket on the back, it zips up vertically, but it is not obvious at first glace. This pack has an amazing amount of features for the price. The system for holding hiking poles is the best I have ever seen. REI is coming on strong with some of their store brand products.

I have loaded it up with 15-20 lbs for local hikes around Lake Natoma and it feels great. I really like this pack.

The only downside is that it makes my back sweat more than my smaller Osprey pack with the trampoline back. I don't think that Osprey pack is big enough for the El Camino though or at least what I plan to carry on the El Camino. Osprey is certainly a top contender for El Camino packs though.

I don't mind a little sweat however, that's what quick dry shirts are for, as long as you can wash them every day or so to prevent stink buildup.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back