• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack shoulder strap modifications for those with a pacemaker

Garry Franks

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking Camino Frances in April 2016. T'was awesome. Plan to do more.
My mate Dave and I are walking the Camino Frances in mid April 2016. I have very recently had a pacemaker for my heart implanted and it sits adjacent to my left collarbone - right where the shoulder strap of my backpack will sit. I imagine the pressure on this highspot from the strap will not be nice. Any suggestions about how to overcome this perceived problem? Are there peregrinos who have had this problem? If so how did you address it? Many thanks for your advices.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You might consider an Aarn pack. The design of these packs ensures the load bearing is done by the waist belt rather than the shoulder straps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome Garry. The load bearing on any backpack should be on the hips not the shoulders. Take a breath, lift the pack a little, tighten the waist strap until it is snug (not tight) on your hips. There should then be little or no pressure on your shoulder straps. Adjust your chest strap so the pack will not lean back.

Welcome Garry. The load bearing on any backpack should be on the hips not the shoulders. Take a breath, lift the pack a little, tighten the waist strap until it is snug (not tight) on your hips. There should then be little or no pressure on your shoulder straps. Adjust your chest strap so the pack will not lean back.
A conventional pack cannot eliminate all load bearing by the shoulder straps, although good adjustment will help. The Aarn design distributes some of the weight to the front, and supports this on the waistband. It reduces the turning moment that will always be present with a conventional pack, which we compensate for by walking bent slightly forward.

My mate Dave and I are walking the Camino Frances in mid April 2016. I have very recently had a pacemaker for my heart implanted and it sits adjacent to my left collarbone - right where the shoulder strap of my backpack will sit. I imagine the pressure on this highspot from the strap will not be nice. Any suggestions about how to overcome this perceived problem? Are there peregrinos who have had this problem? If so how did you address it? Many thanks for your advices.

in the first instance I would go and seek expert advice,this is specific to you....many people do not do this and wear a rucksack incorrectly...
Firstly given more time your won't notice .....
secondly you need advice from those in the same position as you.

Go to a decent outdoor shop for a rucksack fitting where those are working there are the end user......
I will Pm you a link (now)to the Mountaineering backpack-pace maker club.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I greatly appreciate the advices all of you have given. I have yet to try the backpack on following my surgery and probably forgot that the waist band if adjusted correctly will do most of the load-bearing - a fear of the unknown I guess. I will follow-up on each piece of advice offered though. Again, many thanks. Garry.

Also want to say thanks to mountaingoat999 for the link to the Pacemaker Club. Garry.

The Aarn design distributes some of the weight to the front
Aarn backpacks are simply "a better mousetrap." Properly worn, you will always be able to slide your hand between your shoulder and the shoulder strap. Their website tells you all about it:
http://www.aarnpacks.com/#!naturally-balanced/cjg9

It is worth the small extra price if it keeps the pacemaker spot from being stressed! I recommend they be accompanied with Pacer Poles, which will enhance the upright posture encouraged by an Aarn pack.

Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's not so much the weight bearing on the shoulder strap, but the way it comes down over your upper chest. I sewed a small pad to tuck under the strap when needed. You could also attach it to the strap, or use a piece of foam rubber or whatever would provide adequate padding. There is a device, the PaceGuard, that completely covers your device and is meant for contact sports, but should provide protection from the strap rubbing. Don't be alarmed if you have soreness at the pacemaker site after when you use your chest muscles. Ten years out and I still have soreness from time to time. I worried about this, too, before my first camino, but it didn't turn out to be much of a problem.

You may experiment with a S shape shoulder strap it does not work well for broad shoulder people. But for you it may clear the implant.

Zzotte

I had a pacemaker implant in July, same implant site as you. My cardiologist is aware of my trekking the Caminos and told me to enjoy. I have done a few training walks with a full pack. I make sure the weight is on my hips not my shoulders. No pack modifications, no problems, no worries. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back