Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it


Advertisement
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

backpack storage while sightseeing.

Frankieg

Member
Year of past OR future Camino
June / July 2013 with my husband Alan
Dear Forum
I have tried searching the forum for this question I am about to ask but fail to find it so please if it's there somewhere can you direct me to the link.
My question is:
Hubby and I are starting our Camino end of May 2013 we hope to camp where and when ever we get the chance during our walk instead of using hotels, Albergues or Refugios etc.. we just like to camp :) I was wondering if there was somewhere we can store our packs while we do some sightseeing at the end of our day walk and before we actually set our tent for the night some where we can go back pick up our pack and set up for the night? We will also use hotels, Albergues etc.. once or twice a week depending on our situation. Is this possible on The Camino? :)
Thank you for taking the time to read my post
Frankieg
 
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

nreyn12

Active Member
Year of past OR future Camino
Walked (2005) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010) (2011) (2012) (2013) (2014) (2015); Guide 2013-2016
The Camino is a very big and friendly community. I bet if you just asked at the local albergue (or even at a bar), they would permit you to stash your backpacks somewhere while you go site-seeing. Pilgrim backpacks up against the wall, awaiting their pilgrims, is a very common site on the Way!

Just be sure to keep your valuables with you and not in your pack. And if your pack has a zipper rather than a drawstring, put on a small lock to deter anyone with grabby hands.

Nancy
 

Frankieg

Member
Year of past OR future Camino
June / July 2013 with my husband Alan
nreyn12 said:
The Camino is a very big and friendly community. I bet if you just asked at the local albergue (or even at a bar), they would permit you to stash your backpacks somewhere while you go site-seeing. Pilgrim backpacks up against the wall, awaiting their pilgrims, is a very common site on the Way!

Just be sure to keep your valuables with you and not in your pack. And if your pack has a zipper rather than a drawstring, put on a small lock to deter anyone with grabby hands.

Nancy


Hi Nancy
Thank you for the info I will ask as we get to a village. I can't wait to start our walk I hoping everything will fall into place once we are on the Camino.
Have a great day
Frankieg
 

na2than

Active Member
Year of past OR future Camino
(2012)(2013)
whilst most bars and cafes will hold your bags as a common courtesy...to help a pilgrim ,they will not guard them in a left luggage kind or style...so the advice to take anything of value (inc medication) is a good one.But should you partake of this courtesy please repay it by...buying something from the bar.....and making yourselves available to look after other pilgrim packs if asked...
 

annakappa

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
I'm sure that most Albergues will be only to happy to let you leave your bag packs with them. Just tell the hospitalero at what time you think you will be back. As mentioned above, just don't leave any valuables or documents in the pack. I would prefer to leave my backpack in an Albergue rather in a bar if I had the choice. Anne
 
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.

Frankieg

Member
Year of past OR future Camino
June / July 2013 with my husband Alan
na2than said:
whilst most bars and cafes will hold your bags as a common courtesy...to help a pilgrim ,they will not guard them in a left luggage kind or style...so the advice to take anything of value (inc medication) is a good one.But should you partake of this courtesy please repay it by...buying something from the bar.....and making yourselves available to look after other pilgrim packs if asked...


Hi na2than
Thank you for your input I wouldn't expect anyone to do anything for me with out returning the favour in some ways. :)
Have a good day
Frankie
 

CaminoJohn

Active Member
Year of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2006,2008,2011; VDLP, Sanabrias (2018)
Hey! I loved my camping experiences on the camino. Camp grounds are often in or near towns so you can set up and then explore. Alburgues often let you set up in a garden as well...not much rough camping area available...as said here always keep your valuables with you.
 

Frankieg

Member
Year of past OR future Camino
June / July 2013 with my husband Alan
Hi caminoJohn
Thank you for this information great news I am a little more relax after your input I was a little worried about camping site. :)
Have a great day
Frankie




CaminoJohn said:
Hey! I loved my camping experiences on the camino. Camp grounds are often in or near towns so you can set up and then explore. Alburgues often let you set up in a garden as well...not much rough camping area available...as said here always keep your valuables with you.
 

CaminoJohn

Active Member
Year of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2006,2008,2011; VDLP, Sanabrias (2018)
I think it is Sillydoll who has compiled a list of all the campgrounds on the francis. PM her and she can send it to you.
 

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

  • January

    Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

    Votes: 10 0.7%
  • March

    Votes: 57 4.2%
  • April

    Votes: 206 15.2%
  • May

    Votes: 333 24.5%
  • June

    Votes: 98 7.2%
  • July

    Votes: 27 2.0%
  • August

    Votes: 29 2.1%
  • September

    Votes: 392 28.9%
  • October

    Votes: 164 12.1%
  • November

    Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

    Votes: 8 0.6%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
Top