• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

backpack storage while sightseeing.

Frankieg

Time of past OR future Camino
June / July 2013 with my husband Alan
Dear Forum
I have tried searching the forum for this question I am about to ask but fail to find it so please if it's there somewhere can you direct me to the link.
My question is:
Hubby and I are starting our Camino end of May 2013 we hope to camp where and when ever we get the chance during our walk instead of using hotels, Albergues or Refugios etc.. we just like to camp :) I was wondering if there was somewhere we can store our packs while we do some sightseeing at the end of our day walk and before we actually set our tent for the night some where we can go back pick up our pack and set up for the night? We will also use hotels, Albergues etc.. once or twice a week depending on our situation. Is this possible on The Camino? :)
Thank you for taking the time to read my post
Frankieg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Camino is a very big and friendly community. I bet if you just asked at the local albergue (or even at a bar), they would permit you to stash your backpacks somewhere while you go site-seeing. Pilgrim backpacks up against the wall, awaiting their pilgrims, is a very common site on the Way!

Just be sure to keep your valuables with you and not in your pack. And if your pack has a zipper rather than a drawstring, put on a small lock to deter anyone with grabby hands.

Nancy

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
nreyn12 said:
The Camino is a very big and friendly community. I bet if you just asked at the local albergue (or even at a bar), they would permit you to stash your backpacks somewhere while you go site-seeing. Pilgrim backpacks up against the wall, awaiting their pilgrims, is a very common site on the Way!

Just be sure to keep your valuables with you and not in your pack. And if your pack has a zipper rather than a drawstring, put on a small lock to deter anyone with grabby hands.

Nancy

Hi Nancy
Thank you for the info I will ask as we get to a village. I can't wait to start our walk I hoping everything will fall into place once we are on the Camino.
Have a great day
Frankieg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
whilst most bars and cafes will hold your bags as a common courtesy...to help a pilgrim ,they will not guard them in a left luggage kind or style...so the advice to take anything of value (inc medication) is a good one.But should you partake of this courtesy please repay it by...buying something from the bar.....and making yourselves available to look after other pilgrim packs if asked...

I'm sure that most Albergues will be only to happy to let you leave your bag packs with them. Just tell the hospitalero at what time you think you will be back. As mentioned above, just don't leave any valuables or documents in the pack. I would prefer to leave my backpack in an Albergue rather in a bar if I had the choice. Anne

na2than said:
whilst most bars and cafes will hold your bags as a common courtesy...to help a pilgrim ,they will not guard them in a left luggage kind or style...so the advice to take anything of value (inc medication) is a good one.But should you partake of this courtesy please repay it by...buying something from the bar.....and making yourselves available to look after other pilgrim packs if asked...

Hi na2than
Thank you for your input I wouldn't expect anyone to do anything for me with out returning the favour in some ways. :)
Have a good day
Frankie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey! I loved my camping experiences on the camino. Camp grounds are often in or near towns so you can set up and then explore. Alburgues often let you set up in a garden as well...not much rough camping area available...as said here always keep your valuables with you.

Hi caminoJohn
Thank you for this information great news I am a little more relax after your input I was a little worried about camping site. :)
Have a great day
Frankie

CaminoJohn said:
Hey! I loved my camping experiences on the camino. Camp grounds are often in or near towns so you can set up and then explore. Alburgues often let you set up in a garden as well...not much rough camping area available...as said here always keep your valuables with you.

I think it is Sillydoll who has compiled a list of all the campgrounds on the francis. PM her and she can send it to you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back