• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack, vitamins, and gastronomy questions!

Pilar Salgado Vega

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2014)
Hello Everyone!!

I’m so exited, I’m starting my first camino in two weeks (12/09) from Pamplona and I have a couple of questions:

1. I’m using a Millet LD ecrins 30 backpack, but inside it has like a removable “metal pole” in a compartment next to the water bladder bag, what does it do? Can I remove it so I can have less weight or is it essential for some function?

2. Do you recommend taking some kind of vitamins or supplements before and during the camino, like for endurance, or strengthening ligaments? Somme specific exercises?

I’m a big fan of local gastronomy, so if you can share your restaurants “must’s” I will appreciate it!

Buen Camino!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had the same thought regarding supplements, I just stocked up on, energy boost and strength endurance. I don't know where you live the brand I have been taking is Hammer. Good quality product that are designed for sports minded people. I would also suggest a sports drink of some kind to replace needed vitamins. My wife and I do some form of yoga daily to help strength these old bones.
We also depart SJPP only on the 16th. See you along the way.
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Nothing wrong with taking some extra A to Z vitamins. I do. The camino diet isn't the best around. Pilgrim menu's are not the most nutritious meals. Lot's of deepfried food and lots of carbs (not the best carbs though), but not so much vitamins.
A menu del dia is somewhat better then a pilgrim, but it's not a differents of night and day.

I know one thing for sure, taking some vitamins will definitely NOT hurt you.

Good restaurants you will find in a bigger towns and sometimes bigger villages.
In the many small villages along the way your pretty much stuck with the pilgrim menu's, unless you want to make diner yourself and the albergue your staying in has a kitchen that makes that possible.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wouldn't worry about the supplements - just eat well!

Agreed. You don't need to haul around supplements and such with you. I suppose a daily vitamin wouldn't hurt, but overall it's not that difficult to eat healthy. A lot of menus have choices. Salads, pastas, etc. You don't have to eat the greasy fried stuff. Also lots of grocers, and markets and "super mercados" along the Way where you can get fruit, veggies and even things to make your own meals (a lot of albergues have kitchens).
I ate like a horse everyday and drank beer and still lost about 20 pounds by the time I hit Santiago.

Food? Just ask! You are not going to find Michelin starred restaurants along the Camino but the food is usually good, filling, and pilgrim's menus are served early enough so that one can make it back to the albergue before the door is locked. Spanish people eat late, often just sitting down to eat when pilgrims are already sound asleep. Places I enjoyed include a small restaurant in Hornillos del Camino-just after Burgos and a serious bottleneck - anyway a small place run by three sisters great food generous helpings in two seatings since there is not enough space for everyone at one go - insiders tip! they do not save food from one day to the next that second seating may not have all the menu offerings but you will receive everything they have-located along the only street there across from the church. Castrojeriz "La Taverna" a tavern all right on the Camino great food and atmosphere and mentioned in Hape Kerklings' book. In Boadilla just before Fromista is the albergue "En el Camino" family run with every one from Grandma down to the smallist grandbaby involved-communal dinner which is great. O'Cebreiro has the big inn with a country pub atmosphere, if you are curious this is the place to try "pulpo" otopus, here and not in Melide. Just before Portomarin on the left is a private albergue and restaurant "La Bodeguina" very busy lunchtime but quiet and so relaxed cone evening. A splurge after you have arrived in Santiago? Santiago is renowned for seafood and there are many good places to try, avoid the touristy ones located on the streets just under the cathedral try Restaurante San Clemente 6 Calle de San Clemente. Wine? Just ask! Navarra has wonderful wines lighter then Rioja and often better with the food you will find. Some of the best red wine you will find is Bierzo, made around Villfranca and found anywhere from Astorga on to Santiago Hands down the very very best wine you will meet is a white - Albariño or Alvarinho (in the Galego or Portuguese languages) - it is not cheap.

We have a fresh squeezed orange juice daily, available in most bars. The taste is delicious and of course, is full of Vit C! Ask for zumo de naranja.
Because I usually suffer from leg cramps, strangely enough only after I return from my Camino, I now found that taking a Potassium pill daily during the Camino, it has virtually eliminated that problem.
We also bring along some sachets if electrolytes, which can be added to your bottle if water, should you find yourself walking on a very hot day. Aquarios, found in all bars, supermercados, etc, sell this product, is a great energy booster, but should you find yourself still a way from the nearest village, then these sachets are great and they don't weigh anything ( in comparison to a tin of Acquarios). Anne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
he best carbs though), but not so much vitamins.
A menu del dia is somewhat better then a pilgrim, but it's not a differents of night and day.

I know one thing for sure, taking some vitamins will definitely NOT hurt you.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/12/17/251955878/the-case-against-multivitamins-grows-stronger

Well.

It's not that hard to eat well if you want to. The same shops that sell bad stuff will have fruit both fresh and dried. Nuts. If you're carrying food to snack on during the day it's not that hard to make it apples or peaches or whatever you like. Dried figs won't kill you either. Walnuts won't weigh you down.

It's also amazing how easy and light a tin of tun/salmon/sardines and a bit of bread are.

@NicoZ It can to be a long off topic debate on whats written in that link of yours, so i'm not going to go there, but i will say this: the reasons (at least for me) for taking vitamins on a camino has absolutely nothing to do with anything that is written in that newspaper article. Nothing at all.

So taking some multi vitamins will definitely not hurt you one bit.

Last edited:
Is that "metal pole" part of the packs's framework? If so it's probably made of aluminum, and weight negligible and needed to keep the pack supported and rigid.

Hello, thankyou for your answer. I guess it's not part of the framework, because you can take it off. Here's a photo: la foto.JPG

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello, thankyou for your answer. I guess it's not part of the framework, because you can take it off. Here's a photo: View attachment 13141
Hmmm........
Maybe one of the more equipment savvy people (gear gurus) on this forum can enlighten on the purpose of that metal rod.
I would guess it's an optional brace type of thing, to help the pack stay more rigid and stable when carrying a heavier load. Not needed when hauling less stuff in the pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, thankyou for your answer. I guess it's not part of the framework, because you can take it off. Here's a photo:

The metal strip is probably there to give your backpack the shape needed for the Millet ozone backsystem to work and also to prevent the stuff you put in your pack to touch the mesh frame/net.
This ozone system makes sure that you have a ventialtion gap between your back and the backpack itself. You want this. You will sweat a whole lot less on your back when there is some space inbetween your back and the backpack. So no weat sweaty back when you take your pack of.
If i am right then you when you put the backpack on, you have your back against a mesh frame/net and behind the mesh net is some space (for airflow) and then you have the backpack.

My guess is, when you take it out and load up your backpack, your stuff will touch the mesh net and you will not have the benefit of the airflow gap.

Curious if i am right about the airflow gap.

I have an osprey with a similar mesh airflow gap system. It is great. Never have a wet back, while people who cary the whole pack directly on their back, usually have a very wet shirt on the back, when taking the pack of.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Mine has a metal frame too. You can always go back to the store you bought it in and they can explain to you why it's needed. Also, hikers get to their bunks by 2 PM or so as they open the Algergue's at between 1:30-2PM. They do their wash, shower and head out to look for food. BOOOM! Siesta! :) Everything closes from 2-5. There are exceptions, but my suggestion to you is - Never pass up an open market without picking up a delicious Valencia Orange or a potatoe or Carrot for boiling later at the place you stop. NOT all, but many have kitchens with pots etc. many pool their goodies for a "group soup" or one person has pasta and one a bottle of wine and there you go with a wonderful evening of camaraderie! I always travel with L Lysine. It feeds your adrenal glands when you get worn out or stressed etc. There are wonderful pharmacies all along the way marked with a green cross. You can buy anything you need as you go. Buen Camino!

the purpose of that metal rod.
I would guess it's an optional brace type of thing, to help the pack stay more rigid and stable when carrying a heavier load.
The Aarn pack uses similar metal pieces in the front pockets. They bend for a better fit to one's torso, but the principal purpose is to transfer the load onto the waist belt. It is not really optional. The pack will become a sagging nylon sack without it, and the weight in the pack will be on the shoulder straps, not the weight belt.

The Aarn pack uses similar metal pieces in the front pockets. They bend for a better fit to one's torso, but the principal purpose is to transfer the load onto the waist belt. It is not really optional. The pack will become a sagging nylon sack without it, and the weight in the pack will be on the shoulder straps, not the weight belt.

There ya go.
Told ya somebody would know.
Don't ditch it. Keep it in the pack. Your back and shoulders will thank you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, in the Aarn packs you take it out to measure it against your back to where it is meant to sit, then bend it to perfectly fit your back contours - and put it back (if it feels wrong you've probably put it back the wrong way round).

It's an essential part of the pack.

You are not going to find Michelin starred restaurants along the Camino.

I enjoyed two Michelin star restaurants on the camino and both were excellent quality and brilliant value for money. All other nights I had the usual pilgrim menu or menu del dia but for a treat I can highly recommend:

Hotel Restaurante Europa in Pamplona

Cocinandos in Leon

I enjoyed two Michelin star restaurants on the camino and both were excellent quality and brilliant value for money. All other nights I had the usual pilgrim menu or menu del dia but for a treat I can highly recommend:

Hotel Restaurante Europa in Pamplona

Cocinandos in Leon
Thank you, I stand corrected

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Everyone!!

I’m so exited, I’m starting my first camino in two weeks (12/09) from Pamplona and I have a couple of questions:

1. I’m using a Millet LD ecrins 30 backpack, but inside it has like a removable “metal pole” in a compartment next to the water bladder bag, what does it do? Can I remove it so I can have less weight or is it essential for some function?

2. Do you recommend taking some kind of vitamins or supplements before and during the camino, like for endurance, or strengthening ligaments? Somme specific exercises?

I’m a big fan of local gastronomy, so if you can share your restaurants “must’s” I will appreciate it!

Buen Camino!!

If you can be in Pamplona on Thursday night for juevepintxos on Callle Estafeta, €2 pintxos with your choice of wine, beer, or bottled water, if the place charges more than €2, walk on to the next place. I was in a group of five, two German women, and two Italian women, and myself. We went to five different places and each of us bought a round for €10, we were full and happy, sucks we had a curfew and had to be in by 2200.
http://www.alberguelogrono.es is 100m from Calle del Laurel and is full of tapas bars, just not as many as Pamplona, nice albergue, no curfew, (they give you a key) with four person rooms with private bath and COTTON TOWELS!
Deportivo in Navarette after Logrono, that place makes great food, another gem.

Re vitamins, electrolytes and good restaurants. I have never met anyone who took vitamins. On one camino when it was hot, I started cramps in my legs when in bed, and realised I was losing body salt in my sweat whilst walking. I normally never add salt to my meals, but started doing so and the cramps stopped after a day. No need for electrolytes which are only basically salt, sugar and water. Just eat chocolate, drink beer for the salt, and plenty of water. Far more enjoyable than electrolytes, and don't worry that you might put on weight - not on the Camino.
There are lots of good restaurants in the bigger cities where for 20 euros or less you can get a delicious meal and a change from the Menu del Dia. Just watch where the locals are eating.

Your pack is an internal frame pack. The metal pole is essential for conveying the weight of the pack onto your hips via your hip belt. If you take it out the weight of the pack is carried on your shoulders which is less efficient and less comfortable for your back.

You can read more here:
http://www.mec.ca/AST/contentprimary/learn/packs/introtopacks/backpackfitting.jsp

Keep the metal piece in, it is part of the structure of the bag and there for a purpose! It is part of the adjustable back system, bag must sit on your hips, it is loose so you can adjust the bag to sit properly on your back.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Totally agree with a couple of responses as above about the metal bar in you pack - if you remove it you will lose some weight but your pack will be heavier on your shoulders. The bar is designed to transfer your pack weight to your hips.

Ok! I will definitely keep the metal strap now that I know what it does.

Thanks everyone for the amazing tips! I love this forum, it has helped me so much in so many different ways, I guess it shows the amazing helping spirit of of the camino and the fellow pilgrims I will find on the way.

I can’t wait to start!!! I’ve been wanting to do The Camino for the past 4 years but I didn’t had the time or money, so finally this year I will make my dream come true!! I guess the timing was meant to be this way.

Buen Camino for everyone!!

I have never met anyone who took vitamins.

I think 98% of the people i met did not know i took vitamins. Why would they? I wake up, do my thing, incl taking my vitamins and i am out the door. Everybody is too busy with getting up, packing ect to notice anybody elses morning rituals.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Everyone!!

Buen Camino!!
Fromista has some well known restaurants that people will travel great distances to eat at ... for a price. I had my best meal on the Camino there, for the same price as a pilgrim menu at La Venta: 10 E for a risotto. Pamplona has bars with lovely pinxos, let's not even talk about Burgos. But smaller towns like Najera or Los Arcos will have bars with good tapas. As for supplements, after suffering from terrible cramping after walking 20km in a day I know drink Aquarius when I can (buy it in grocery stores in 2 l. bottles for the price of a small can in a bar) or bring my own electrolytes effervesant tablets (Zim is one brand, Gu Arew another) - plus it helps hide the taste of the water that may not always taste great.

Because I usually suffer from leg cramps, strangely enough only after I return from my Camino, I now found that taking a Potassium pill daily during the Camino, it has virtually eliminated that problem.
Have you tried a Bio Magnesium suppliment. I use this on a daily basis to stop muscle soreness in my legs and cramps in my toes during the night as I stand on concrete all day. Seems to work very well for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Are there for last minute items sporting goods store in SJPP?

There is Butique du Pelerin down the street on the opposite side of Pilgrim's office

Regarding supplements... I took an aspirin more or less daily to prevent cramps and vitamin pills with extra magnesium... When i skipped it for 4 days I had major problems with leg cramps
So i can definitely recommend it and will be doing the same routine on my next Camino

Cannot say re SJPP since I was there in 06, but I did see a half decent one in Santo Domingo de la Calzada, and another in Viana. In Burgos there's a small one within walking distance from the Cubo Albergue, but the big one is Decathlon and you need to hop on a bus to get to it. Still was able to get a sleeping bag and gloves at the local one.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I fogot to mention, and thought about it today, in Molinaseca, as you come into town, there's El Palacio. The name may make you suspicious, but I had a wonderful dinner there. Ideal if there is a group of you and you can share Tablas (large plates of a single dish). Particularly good were red peppers with anchovies and fresh cheese.

Just pick up an orange and banana. I also carried a tin of some fish, a tomato and bread. Barocca fizzy orange flavoured vitamin tablet add to drinking water. Also disguises the taste of the water. Don't over dose or your wee will be discoloured.

Hi!
Just my personal opinion, I would suggest to take some magnesium tablets. Me & my 2 teenage daughters just got back 2 weeks ago. We took 1 tab in the mornings & none of us had cramps or muscleaches. I don't know where you are coming from but I also brought with us some powdered vits to put in our 1st bottle of water. They come in different flavors. Nevertheless, you'll find some good old, I mean fresh fruits offered along the way for a minimal cost.

Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No need for electrolytes which are only basically salt, sugar and water. .
Not exactly! Here's the link for one of my favs. http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/endurolytes-fizz.elf.html
I use these when cycling and hiking. And they do help with overheating and avoiding heat stroke. They come in small tubes, weigh next to nothing (and happily get lighter as you go!!) When it's seriously hot...you need more than just salt added to your food! Not that I mind a good beer and some chips either!

I didn't take any supplements except when I got sick - I'm not sure if it was food poisoning or the flu, but it was really bad. Unfortunately, I got sick on a Sunday, which meant no pharmacy (I was in a pretty rural area). Luckily a friend of mine gets stomach upset every time he walks the camino, so he had some diarrhea medicine on hand. The next time I go, I'll take a foil packet of diarrhea medicine just in case - it doesn't weigh much, and it certainly was needed. The next day we had no trouble finding electrolytes at a pharmacy, so you probably don't need to take a lot of that from home.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have traveled the world while flying for an airline. We've all been sick more than once. We travel with our own little packet of meds. Diarrhea medicine is one. When your body is trying to expel something from either end though it's a good idea to let it. Stop for a day if you can and then take the meds after you've had time to "let it go" :)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back