• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack Weight

D

Deleted member 397

I recently purchased a video and book about the via Francigena. I have only watched one of the extras which was a discussion by an orthopaedic surgeon who commented on the unfamiliar weight put on the body by a backpack. She said the pressure on the spine, hips, knees and ankles was such that a person should not carry more than 10% of their weight. I recall that on this forum others have questioned this magical, and seemingly arbitrary, 10% figure. I thought it interesting that an orthopaedic surgeon also recommended this rough figure.
70lt packs with 15-20kgs may seem like a good idea but they could be doing permanent damage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I guess in the end one's body and reaction to a backpack is the final determinant re: back weight. BC :arrow: xm 8)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We walked for a couple of days with a heavy-ish pack, then trimmed it down drastically to about 6 kg for me and about 9 for my husband including the pack. It made an incredible difference and it is amazing how little you can travel with - less is more.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That is an interesting DVD on the Via Francigena. The part about the route is OK but the interviews with a variety of doctors etc. are well worth seeing and I wonder why no Camino DVD has thought to do something similar. I also seem to remember something on the video about how to walk!

The DVD is called Via Francigena. I bought it, and the book, from Eurovia
http://www.eurovia.tv. It is a very interesting site. The orthopaedic interview has a voice over in English but the last few minutes are not translated at all and one of the other interviews is not translated at all.
It is a well produced DVD though.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back