• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack weight

andywild

Time of past OR future Camino
CF april 18.. CP sep 18.. CF april 2020
I was a bit concerned because my backpack was 1kg over 10% of my weight.. I tried everything to reduce the extra kg but couldn't spare any kit (walking without my collection of shiny pebbles I found on the beach is a no-no, they only weigh 3kg in total).. and then I came up with the answer, simply put on an extra 10kg..
Well after two months of double breakfasts, biscuits with every cup of tea and more pizzas then the average human could stand I've done it !! I'm have reached a state of fat/backpack equilibrium. I'm considering taking an iron to keep my clothes looking sharp so I will be spending my final 3 weeks eating as many kebabs as possible. Wish me luck !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Are you kidding? :D:D:D
Just out of curiosity, if I dont't break your privacy, could you tell us what are your height, weight and abdominal girth (taken at navel level)?
Thank you!

P.S.
I follow your blog. I'm very curious about your experience because your exercise background is nearly the opposite of mine... I wish you all the best.
Buona passeggiata!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are you kidding? :D:D:D
Just out of curiosity, if I dont't break your privacy, could you tell us what are your age, height, weight and abdominal girth (taken at navel level)?
Thank you!
Errm ok Pietro I'm 43. 5ft 10" .. think I'm about 15st with a 38" waist and I was never in the navy.. you'll have to look up the metric versions.. why do I feel like I'm being measured up for a coffin? :oops:

:) Thanks a lot, Andy!
1.78 m x 95 Kg - waist 96 cm.
Those data are to compute your Body Mass Index and have an indication of your potential performances.
According to the standards, you are overweight, but not at an alarming level. The nice info is that 96 cm of abdominal girth, that brings me to think that you are well packed with solid muscles in chest and legs.
10 Kg of backpack will be a piece of cake for you, considering also your age.
Just pay attention to your knee and hip joints. Keep on training, but don't exaggerate with long walks at full load for the moment. Leave them for the last two weeks before your Camino.
Enjoy walking a few miles (3 to 10, increasing) every day and break-in well you shoes...
And, in case you feel any pain, take one or more days of rest without feeling guilty. That's part of the training too. :cool:

Hi Andy, I think you might have cracked it. Eat more food put on more weight = carry more stuff. Which do you think would be of more use on the Camino a clothes iron or a toasted sandwich/waffle maker? Good luck with your diet and remember you are what you eat, that's why I look like an Ulster fry.

Attachments

• ulster-fry-wide.jpg
    ulster-fry-wide.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 16
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was a bit concerned because my backpack was 1kg over 10% of my weight.. I tried everything to reduce the extra kg but couldn't spare any kit (walking without my collection of shiny pebbles I found on the beach is a no-no, they only weigh 3kg in total).. and then I came up with the answer, simply put on an extra 10kg..
Well after two months of double breakfasts, biscuits with every cup of tea and more pizzas then the average human could stand I've done it !! I'm have reached a state of fat/backpack equilibrium. I'm considering taking an iron to keep my clothes looking sharp so I will be spending my final 3 weeks eating as many kebabs as possible. Wish me luck !
Hey, Andy, what IS your day job?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Forum clown/idiot? I'm actually a kitchen fitter but have taken some time off to get ready for my walk. I also worked with kids with behavioural issues for about ten years, I guess that's where I got my randomness from

Last edited:
Forum clown/idiot? I'm actually a kitchen fitter but have taken some time off to get ready for my walk. I also worked with kids with behavioural issues for about ten years, I guess that's where I got my randomness from
Your OP....Hahahahahha!!
Randomness is most appreciated.

Andy - Keep that spirit with you on the Camino. When or if there are some cold, wet and/or windy days, many Pilgrims will appreciate your views on life. Others may want to strike you with one of your pebbles or even your iron.

Someone once told me, "If you are not having fun, you are not being successful."

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm the shy quiet type so I doubt I'll be driving anyone to consider any pebble related murders. I may even slip through the whole journey unnoticed... Ninja-like... Well, apart from the snoring... But there isn't much I can do about that :)

Andy, you just made my day....I needed a good laugh!!! Thank you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@andywild, have you got a plan for what to do as your weight decreases while walking? Might I suggest loading up on multiple croissants in the morning, with a plan to consume at least two full menu del dia a day?
As for the pebbles, I should warn you that the pebble collection is likely to grow along the way, complicating the whole weight ratio thing. You may also pick up a few bottles of wine to bring home, and I ended up carrying some lovely pottery. That's the advantage of a 63L pack!

Come on Andy..the answer is right under your nose, literally. Just shave off the beard and get scalped. Plus you could weave a vest from the trimmings and not have to bring a store bought one. And, if you are carrying 15 stones in addition to the pebbles, you must have rocks in your head! Now that leads me to another weight saver...hmmm

I'm the shy quiet type so I doubt I'll be driving anyone to consider any pebble related murders. I may even slip through the whole journey unnoticed... Ninja-like... Well, apart from the snoring... But there isn't much I can do about that :)
And the snoring is not your problem is it.

Wish you well,Peter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Shaving the beard is a no-no.. I use it to filter the lumpy bits out of vegetable soup (the vegetables)... As for extra pebbles/wine/pottery etc I guess I will have to invest in a nice Camino wheelbarrow from one of the souvenir shops. Apparently they're in the shape of a huge shell, classy AND functional... :)

Andy maybe you could just get a hiking trailer to carry your pebbles, wine etc. and then you can travel without worrying about reducing your weight while you walk - before or after the Camino. Also apparently snoring decreases with weight reduction so everyone else might thank you for using the trailer and maybe they'll even share their wine and pebbles with you. Bonus!
Love your sense of humour.
Buen Camino.

Only 5 weeks left...This is my first time but I'm getting loads of good info. Even though this trip should be about immersing yourself in the Camino, I think it would be really handy to bring a solar phone charger. I don't think I've seen mention of them. They're rather new and often equipped with a compass, LED light, and hook on for your backpack. A good knockoff one can be bought for 15-40 dollars. That way you can have "perpetual" battery power or power if you really need it. This could help you personally avoid the outlet sharing and potential theft situations that I've read off.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Maybe it's because I live in England but I've not really considered the solar option.. I've heard of the sun and seen it in films but that's as far as it goes. I've got a phone charger pack. Once charged it will cover me for two to four days before needing to be plugged in again. Plus I don't have to leave phone unguarded just the charge pack. I'm hoping it does the trick.

Andy, you my friend are a riot. If I remember correctly you will be out and about in early April. Please let me know about where you anticipate being around April 5th. I'd love to share a few laughs, and cervezas. I should be heading west in Pamplona area on the 5th. Drinks on me. All I need to do is chase a few kids down to collect my birthright. My Mom invented kickball, so I live off the residuals. Every time a kid kicks a ball, I'm owed a nickel. I just have to catch the little buggers to collect.

As for your snoring. Challenge accepted. While I lost my world championship belt after surgery, my wife tells me I can still hold my own. I'm sure we can entertain the inmates with a symphony one night.

Andy, you my friend are a riot. If I remember correctly you will be out and about in early April. Please let me know about where you anticipate being around April 5th. I'd love to share a few laughs, and cervezas. I should be heading west in Pamplona area on the 5th. Drinks on me. All I need to do is chase a few kids down to collect my birthright. My Mom invented kickball, so I live off the residuals. Every time a kid kicks a ball, I'm owed a nickel. I just have to catch the little buggers to collect.

As for your snoring. Challenge accepted. While I lost my world championship belt after surgery, my wife tells me I can still hold my own. I'm sure we can entertain the inmates with a symphony one night.
Pal, unfortunately you are a bit premature with your start date..I'm sjpdp on the 18th so you sound like you'll be way ahead of me. No doubt I'll encounter plenty of penniless crying children as I follow in your wake.. obviously if you walk ridiculously slow I may catch up and take you up on that drink but alas I fear my speed will be no match for yours

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey Andy,

I am certain that this is all just a lark but if a newbie ever happens by, perhaps we need to leave an easter egg (do not eat that too), but the 10% of body weight = maximum pack weight, is an old wives' tale. ALWAYS, pack the absolute minimum and know what that is months in advance of departure.

Should a heavy pack be the absolute minimum, I can atest to the chances of doing real damage to yourself. Even with the best, most comfortable shoes, I acquired IT Band Syndrome and plantar fasciaitis. The latter is not terribly hard to manage as longas stretching is done before and after activity but the former requires professional attention, or, will wait around till you do get professional help.

What an overweight pack will do is bring on leg, hip and knee troubles (maybe even back issues), faster than they would come on if the pack was lighter. Logic therefore entices us toward lightening up the pack as much as possible.

Oh, finally, using a steam iron for more than one use saves weight. No need to carry on a waffle iron as well. :cool:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hey Andy,

I am certain that this is all just a lark but if a newbie ever happens by, perhaps we need to leave an easter egg (do not eat that too), but the 10% of body weight = maximum pack weight, is an old wives' tale. ALWAYS, pack the absolute minimum and know what that is months in advance of departure.

Should a heavy pack be the absolute minimum, I can atest to the chances of doing real damage to yourself. Even with the best, most comfortable shoes, I acquired IT Band Syndrome and plantar fasciaitis. The latter is not terribly hard to manage as longas stretching is done before and after activity but the former requires professional attention, or, will wait around till you do get professional help.

What an overweight pack will do is bring on leg, hip and knee troubles (maybe even back issues), faster than they would come on if the pack was lighter. Logic therefore entices us toward lightening up the pack as much as possible.
Ok seeing as it's you I'll let that one instance of sensibility into the thread..:)
maybe I need to add a disclaimer to any future posts, "the views expressed in this post are ill-informed, unwise, possibly hazardous to physical/mental well-being"

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

In three words... lose your marbles.....

:eek:o_O:eek:o_O:eek:o_O:eek:
Oh I see, those dogs were smart they took a mule along. Hmm, we might consider that too, I'll have a word with my sister Sandy.
Not sure what the lady with the front and back backpack was doing though, she doesn't even seem to have a dog, more fool her.

PS: I'm Lucky the one on the right on the little photo on the side.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ok! Ima starting my plan to carry more weight by going out to a huge breakfast right now! This will be the best training plan to carry more I've ever done. You sir are a genius. When you write your Camino By Eating Conditioning book and become more read than Brierly I will say 'I knew him when...'

Maybe it's because I live in England but I've not really considered the solar option.. I've heard of the sun and seen it in films but that's as far as it goes. I've got a phone charger pack. Once charged it will cover me for two to four days before needing to be plugged in again. Plus I don't have to leave phone unguarded just the charge pack. I'm hoping it does the trick.
So I am doing the solar charger item Andy. Here in South Africa sun is our perpetual companion so whether I am camping under starry African skies or hauling my frame and bacpack over the Pyrenees mountains, I am clipping a solar charger onto my back. You'll spot me by identifying that I am a solar powered pilgrim. Spain after all is a sunworshippers nirvana. Why waste all that natural energy.....Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My pack was 12 kg and I was 100kg when I got back I repacked what I really needed on camino and it was only 7 kg and I had lost 17 kg in wait. Hint you have gear in your pack you don’t need and if you find you do need it just buy it from the plethora of shopping centres along the way( and it will be cheaper ) Buen Camino mate now lose that weight and give your shock absorbers ( knees) a respite.

Andy, I'm from the Pacific Northwest in the US and I echo your comments about sun. I think it's that bright thing in the sky that shows occasionally. Does it live in Spain on the Camino? (I'm starting in May)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good Lort...a 28 lb pack..maybe less camera gear?
Naa..one lens weighs 3 lbs, nother weighs 3.5 lbs.camera body around 4 lbs.carbon fibre tripod 2 lbs 3d lens 2.5lbs..13 lbs of gear befor other non essential items like cloths,water bottle,ipad,phone,liner,rain gear,soap...
Maybe i should rethink my load out...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Lighten load. A 6 kilo backpack and you will be flying.

Andy, I'm from the Pacific Northwest in the US and I echo your comments about sun. I think it's that bright thing in the sky that shows occasionally. Does it live in Spain on the Camino? (I'm starting in May)
I am from the Canadian side of that climate. The sun IS that shiny thing that shows up and warms us once in a while... but didn’t know it was angry until the Camino. If your skin is as pasty northern pale as mine, you are in for a shock . You may turn as bright red and hot as that shiny thing.

Do solar panels help with that?

Again with my 2 centavos:
I read here in many threads “just buy “it “ along the way. I say honestly what’s the difference? Weather you buy it here or there , if you know you need something you will still have to carry it.
Not everyone have a unlimited budget, so I say whatever works for you.

I see nothing wrong if you have it at home ..pack it but “know” you will have to carry it and never complain about it. If whatever you have in your pack doesn't work then consider donation. There are plenty of poor people would love your donated items. I’m sure every church has a donation box or ship it home or to Ivar for your after camino

I have also seen 5kg or 6kg...yes its possible but who determines how much weight someone can carry? Hmmm summer versus winter, man versus women. I hope we never assume we know what’s in someon’es bag and lets not judge others for what they feel they need. They themselves will figure it out however for the pilgrim keep in mind try to pack light but remember you pack it you carry it... and no grumbling.

I accept my weight as it is my burden to bear
We will all have difficult days
To you I gladly offer my help
For me it’s simple,
it is my pilgrimage, my camino
But I happly share it with you

My 2 centavos now spent on cafe con-leche Buen Camino. See you next week. Let’s do this !

Last edited:
Shaving the beard is a no-no.. I use it to filter the lumpy bits out of vegetable soup (the vegetables)... As for extra pebbles/wine/pottery etc I guess I will have to invest in a nice Camino wheelbarrow from one of the souvenir shops. Apparently they're in the shape of a huge shell, classy AND functional... :)
Oh. My. Good. Gosh.. Funniest post ever......thank you so much for the levity and great humour this morning. I can only hope that when my time comes to crawl along the Camino, that I'll meet some hilarious characters like you along the way! Especially if they're also able to make toasted cheese sandwiches along the route.....winning!..

:) Thanks a lot, Andy!
1.78 m x 95 Kg - waist 96 cm.
Those data are to compute your Body Mass Index and have an indication of your potential performances.
According to the standards, you are overweight, but not at an alarming level. The nice info is that 96 cm of abdominal girth, that brings me to think that you are well packed with solid muscles in chest and legs.
10 Kg of backpack will be a piece of cake for you, considering also your age.
Just pay attention to your knee and hip joints. Keep on training, but don't exaggerate with long walks at full load for the moment. Leave them for the last two weeks before your Camino.
Enjoy walking a few miles (3 to 10, increasing) every day and break-in well you shoes...
And, in case you feel any pain, take one or more days of rest without feeling guilty. That's part of the training too. :cool:
Is that with water bottles on board?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Becky, I too m from Pacific Northwest, Portland, and will leave for st Jean approx 13 May. Where are you?

The weight is the weight is the weight I tell myself. hmmm lets see how my body mass index, my achy knees and creaking shoulders discuss my leaving tomorrow
woohooo finally!
I think one more day at home they would put me in the madhouse.
anticipitaion, excitement, focused feet..Camino is a callin’...Let’s do this!

My pack weight is 11 kg (about 25 pounds) including food for 3 days and water. On my last (2000 km) hike my pack weighed 16 kg (35 pounds) without food or water. So I'm about this weight. I have to bring camping gear and cooking gear for the first part. When I get to st Jean Pied de Port, hopefully I can ditch them and replace it with some clothes and fly the rest of the way to Santiago.

€46,-
Methinks the "10% rule" is a contraction of "10% rule of thumb"

As previous posters have pointed out, it is an indication of when a pack may becoming too heavy... Some people will be able to carry significantly heavier loads (if required), others not so...

Either way, the first consideration in putting the pack together should be "what do I need?" and "what could I do without if I had to?" and then assess the weight. If your proposed pack is in nearing or exceeding the mythical 10%, perhaps it is time to reconsider what is necessary and what is discretionary, and unpack some of the discretionary items (and/or go looking for lighter essential items).

For my CF in Sept/Oct 17, I trained with 13.5 kg on my back and tested myself out with a 26 km walk with 16 kg on my back two weeks prior to leaving (and survived without adverse effects). Walked the 800 km with a 12 kg pack without any injuries - but I did send my sleeping bag (650 gm) home by post from Burgos. I started in SJPP at 101 kg and arrived in Santiago at 89 kg - so the 10% "rule" is an overstatement for me...

Last edited:
Have a magical Camino! I wish I could meet you on The Way.

Now that we know your vital statistics and your dob (under today’s birthdays) other members might like to join me in wishing you Buen Camino y feliz cumpleaños. Your status as self-styled forum clown must derive from your excellent start in life as an April Fool. Don’t even thinking about shedding a few pounds - you’re worth your weight in gold. Keep it up!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Now that we know your vital statistics and your dob (under today’s birthdays) other members might like to join me in wishing you Buen Camino y feliz cumpleaños. Your status as self-styled forum clown must derive from your excellent start in life as an April Fool. Don’t even thinking about shedding a few pounds - you’re worth your weight in gold. Keep it up!
Aww thank you for noticing my birthday!! I've given up on weight loss, I've carried me about for 44 years and it's too late to start worrying about it now.. the plan is to go for a walk.. hopefully I'll make it across Spain. If not then I guess I'll go as far as I can. I would love to complete a Camino. Likewise I would love to have a couple of months walking and meeting great people. I've always been a bit anti "the norm" I could walk from sjpdp to Roncesvalles and back 14 times and still class it as a win as long as I enjoyed it.and if I make other people's journeys slightly easier then that's a win in my eyes. I may even buy some crayons and make my own certificate if that's how things end up.. :)..

and if I make other people's journeys slightly easier then that's a win in my eyes. I may even buy some crayons and make my own certificate if that's how things end up.. :)..

The idea of walking back and forward between SJPDP and Roncesvalles is actually quite a good one: whatever about St James, you could offer your services as a latter day St Christopher. You have the credentials for this, having already lightened other people’s burdens even before you’ve set foot on the trail, but if you should need a certificate of (in)competence I’d happily collaborate. My calligraphy is good, but my school Latin is not exactly word perfect.

Last edited:
The first time round, I read every list, watched every You-tube packing list clip and made THE LIST.

Packed, repacked, repacked again, made more lists and checked them off, changed packs, repacked again, walked around the house with my pack on, adjusted it, then walked up and down the stairs, eventually up and down the street. Discarded and repacked. Completely overthought for months.

Went to Spain, there was stuff I never took out, at all! But stuff I had to buy.

Second time, took less. Still was stuff I never used - but different stuff I needed to buy over there.

Is there such a thing as the perfect list?

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.