• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Depends on what you are carrying. What time of year you are walking the Camino. Whether you plan on using baggage transport service. A lot of factors.
That being said, I would say for a September Camino Frances from SJPdP to SDC, where you carry all your stuff all the way, a 30-35 liter pack will be perfect.
ultreia

I am constantly amazed by people who think they can provide backpack size advice without any idea about:
  • how much the person weighs,
  • whether they are walking in spring, summer, autumn or winter,
  • whether or not they are prepared to spend a fortune on ultralight clothing or are more restricted in what they can do to lighten their load,
  • how resilient they are in the face of cold,
just to name a few key considerations about back pack size.

If you are going to walk in summer, and have a target pack weight of carrying no more than 10% of your body mass, then I have a rule of thumb that gets you to a much better first approximation of the size you might need. It says your pack volume in litres should be about half your body mass in kg.
  • if you are overweight, use your ideal weight (the weight you would be if your BMI was about 25).
  • if you are walking in spring or autumn, add 25% to this calculation, in winter add 50% as a first approximation - you may need more volume than that.
If you follow this, the suggestion that a 35li pack is suitable only applies to that percentage of the population that weigh 70kg or less, or at BMI-25, are less than 1.67 m tall. Noting that there are only 16 countries where the average height is less that this according to http://www.averageheight.co/average-male-height-by-country, it might reasonably be predicted that this advice is not particularly good for men. For women, whose average height is somewhat less, the advice to use a 35li pack will be more apt for a much greater proportion of the population - but not for everyone.

I have posted a link to an online volume calculator here -->> https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sleeping-bag.37746/#post-367287.

@Janetlm, if you haven't already bought a pack, I would recommend taking this in stages.
  • First, plan a gear list, and share it with this forum - there are plenty of people who can help you refine it to ensure that it is the minimum essential for the time of year you are proposing to walk.
  • Second, get the gear together in whatever packing arrangements you think you will carry, add the water, eg in a bladder or bottles, and dummy up a food bag to represent your snacks, etc.
  • And then with all of this, go shopping for your pack knowing that if all this cannot be comfortably fitted into the pack and it is not comfortable to wear, it is not the right pack.

I'm amazed that someone would make choosing a backpack as complicated as quantum physics. :D I never know exactly what I am going to carry with me until a day or two before I leave.
I just found one that looked good and ordered it online, sight unseen. Worked great for three Caminos. Should I not have done that? I mean, it shouldn't have worked, right? ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Depends on what you are carrying. What time of year you are walking the Camino. Whether you plan on using baggage transport service. A lot of factors.
That being said, I would say for a September Camino Frances from SJPdP to SDC, where you carry all your stuff all the way, a 30-35 liter pack will be perfect.
ultreia
Thank you. I'm carrying all my things no baggage and yes starting Sept.6

Halving one's body mass is hardly quantum physics, unless one is/was an infantryman! Or perhaps a marine ;).
I remember they issued me a pack, no frame and no questions asked. Later I bought a frame from another Marine that was a shortimer. Heck, he probably misappropriated the dang thing, ha ha.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi all, I' m guessing that based on all contributions to this thread, that I will be shopping for a 35 litre pack. When you say this will do, does that also take into account sleeping bag on board? If this is dopey question, please feel free to just smile and wave

There is no way I can't all I need into a 30-35 liter bag.
How do you do it?

If you are going to walk in summer, and have a target pack weight of carrying no more than 10% of your body mass, then I have a rule of thumb that gets you to a much better first approximation of the size you might need. It says your pack volume in litres should be about half your body mass in kg.
Doug, I found your rule of thumb very interesting. But you said that if you are overweight, use your ideal weight (the weight you would be if your BMI was about 25). Two issues here. (1) I'm thinking that if you are overweight you wear bigger clothes and will need a bigger pack to carry them and that means that maybe you shouldn't be using your ideal weight. (2) The BMI range for normal weight runs from 18.5 to 25 and the mid-point is 21.75 (or easier to remember and use, 22.)

Next, if you do think that an ideal weight should be used if one is overweight then you don't really need to know a weight at all. Using the ideal BMI of 22 in all cases the rule-of-thumb pack volume can be determined by a constant and the height alone. For all you forward thinkers in the world the formula would be Pl = 11 * Hm * Hm and for the backward the formula would be Pl = 0.007 * Hi * Hi where the volume of the pack in liters (Pl) is determined either by the height of the person in meters (Hm) or in inches (Hi).

In testing the formula I used a height of 5 feet 7 inches (which is 1.72 m) and I got a pack volume of 31.4 l. Using a height of 1.7 m I got a pack volume of 31.8 l. Close enough for me.

Now, since packs are sold in increments of 5 liters why bother with the formula at all? Plug in a volume and solve for height. The "ideal" height (in meters) for a pack would then be found from Hm = sqrt (Pl / 11). So this matches someone 1.65 meters tall with a 30 liter pack and someone 1.78 meters tall with a 35 liter pack. Someone between those heights could buy up or down depending on how much underwear to be brought.

20 l : 1.35 m, 25 l : 1.51 m, 30 l : 1.65m, 35 l : 1.78, 40 l : 1.91 m, 45 l : 2.02 m, 50 l : 2.13 m, 55 l : 2.24 m

@Janetlm, if you haven't already bought a pack, I would recommend taking this in stages.
That looks reasonable. Put it all in a box and measure its volume.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I found your rule of thumb very interesting. But you said that if you are overweight, use your ideal weight (the weight you would be if your BMI was about 25). Two issues here. (1) I'm thinking that if you are overweight you wear bigger clothes and will need a bigger pack to carry them and that means that maybe you shouldn't be using your ideal weight. (2) The BMI range for normal weight runs from 18.5 to 25 and the mid-point is 21.75 (or easier to remember and use, 22.)

If you are worried about people who are overweight having bigger clothes, base the formula on BMI=25, not 22. I must admit that I am rather expecting people who are overweight to ignore the advice to use a lower weight, but who knows, maybe some will.

Next, if you do think that an ideal weight should be used if one is overweight then you don't really need to know a weight at all. Using the ideal BMI of 22 in all cases the rule-of-thumb pack volume can be determined by a constant and the height alone. For all you forward thinkers in the world the formula would be Pl = 11 * Hm * Hm and for the backward the formula would be Pl = 0.007 * Hi * Hi where the volume of the pack in liters (Pl) is determined either by the height of the person in meters (Hm) or in inches (Hi).
All this is true. However, there are already substantial simplifications in the approach I recommend, and one major assumption about what packing density is acceptable. All up, I think it is easier to halve one's weight to get into the right volume zone. If someone wants a more precise calculation, then use the on-line calculator that I provided a link to earlier.

Now, since packs are sold in increments of 5 liters why bother with the formula at all? Plug in a volume and solve for height. The "ideal" height (in meters) for a pack would then be found from Hm = sqrt (Pl / 11). So this matches someone 1.65 meters tall with a 30 liter pack and someone 1.78 meters tall with a 35 liter pack. Someone between those heights could buy up or down depending on how much underwear to be brought.
I know that you aren't correct on the volume increments. Between us, my wife and I have packs that range through 18, 26, 33 and 38 litres, as well as some that have notional sizes at the five litre increments.

That looks reasonable. Put it all in a box and measure its volume.
One could do that, but I think that the next step still has to be to see how it actually packs into a pack. Some things will be more compressible than others, and I think that effect is better judged by using a pack, not a box.

How do you do it?
I don't try. I have walked in autumn in Spain, and use the Deuter Guide 45+. I bought it having already done my first camino, and I knew pretty much what size I could get an autumn load down to, and then added a small amount more so that it wasn't packed to tightly. That said, both it and my wife's pack are fairly close to the volume that you would get to applying my rule of thumb.

How do you do it?

I use an Osprey 30L pack and carry a sleeping bag.
It all fits. With room to spare. Really!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all, I' m guessing that based on all contributions to this thread, that I will be shopping for a 35 litre pack. When you say this will do, does that also take into account sleeping bag on board? If this is dopey question, please feel free to just smile and wave
How big a sleeping bag? If your sleeping bag is bigger than about a 2-liter water bottle and weighs more than around 24 ounces, it's too big and too heavy. Time to get a different sleeping bag, or maybe just a bag liner.

Can anyone suggest a backpack size?

My wife carried a 65L pack as well as I. This year, she will be using a 38L pack and I a 48L pack. You have a tendency to overpack with a bigger pack. Keep it as small as you can for your needs and keep the weight down. You will be happy you did :)
SJJP - SANTIAGO ( Sept-Nov 2016) ; (Aug.-Oct 2017) SJJP-SANTIAGO

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How do you do it?
We ended up "donating" or even throwing things away later on to lighten the load. Keep it light !

A person of large stature has by the very nature of things has bigger clothes hence more weight. My wife will be using a 38L this time around and we've packed with everything she is taking and still has room, sleeping bad included. As a man 6'1'' and 235 lbs, I am using a 48L pack this time around, we are both downsizing from our 65L packs.

A person of large stature has by the very nature of things has bigger clothes hence more weight. My wife will be using a 38L this time around and we've packed with everything she is taking and still has room, sleeping bad included. As a man 6'1'' and 235 lbs, I am using a 48L pack this time around, we are both downsizing from our 65L packs.
I'm 6'1" and about 225 lbs and used an REI 48L pack on three Camino's and had room to spare. The good thing about not packing it to capacity is you can carry-on it on the airplane. I could probably use a smaller pack of around 35-38 liters, but the one I have fits me well and is very well made. Sturdy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Entertaining though the debate is, most people carry a back pack in the range of 20 to 50 L, no matter what the season, body size or weight. So, 35 L happens to be in the middle. Less than 30 L gets difficult, and more than 40 L isn't really "necessary." Find the best fitting, most comfortable pack in that range. If you go toward the lower end of the range, know that you will have to pack more carefully.

I am an average-size woman and carry a 31 L pack that holds my sleeping bag and all of my needs for early spring and late fall caminos. There isn't much room to spare, and I wouldn't mind having a few extra litres to spare, but it is adequate and is the most comfortable pack I've tried.

I prefer a rectangular synthetic sleeping bag, which is bulkier and heavier than down mummy bags. It weighs 900 g. But it fits in my backpack.

I am constantly amazed by people who think they can provide backpack size advice without any idea about:
  • whether or not they are prepared to spend a fortune on ultralight clothing or are more restricted in what they can do to lighten their load,

• if you are overweight, use your ideal weight (the weight you would be if your BMI was about 25).
  • if you are walking in spring or autumn, add 25% to this calculation, in winter add 50% as a first approximation - you may need more volume than that.
If you follow this, the suggestion that a 35li pack is suitable only applies to that percentage of the population that weigh 70kg or less, or at BMI-25, are less than 1.67 m tall. Noting that there are only 16 countries where the average height is less that this according to http://www.averageheight.co/average-male-height-by-country, it might reasonably be predicted that this advice is not particularly good for men. For women, whose average height is somewhat less, the advice to use a 35li pack will be more apt for a much greater proportion of the population - but not for everyone.

I have posted a link to an online volume calculator here -->> https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sleeping-bag.37746/#post-367287.

• First, plan a gear list, and share it with this forum - there are plenty of people who can help you refine it to ensure that it is the minimum essential for the time of year you are proposing to walk.
  • Second, get the gear together in whatever packing arrangements you think you will carry, add the water, eg in a bladder or bottles, and dummy up a food bag to represent your snacks, etc.
  • And then with all of this, go shopping for your pack knowing that if all this cannot be comfortably fitted into the pack and it is not comfortable to wear, it is not the right pack.
Thank you!

Wow! Thank you!
Entertaining though the debate is, most people carry a back pack in the range of 20 to 50 L, no matter what the season, body size or weight. So, 35 L happens to be in the middle. Less than 30 L gets difficult, and more than 40 L isn't really "necessary." Find the best fitting, most comfortable pack in that range. If you go toward the lower end of the range, know that you will have to pack more carefully.

I am an average-size woman and carry a 31 L pack that holds my sleeping bag and all of my needs for early spring and late fall caminos. There isn't much room to spare, and I wouldn't mind having a few extra litres to spare, but it is adequate and is the most comfortable pack I've tried.

I prefer a rectangular synthetic sleeping bag, which is bulkier and heavier than down mummy bags. It weighs 900 g. But it fits in my backpack.
im going to REI tomorrow

I'm go

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My wife carried a 65L pack as well as I. This year, she will be using a 38L pack and I a 48L pack. You have a tendency to overpack with a bigger pack. Keep it as small as you can for your needs and keep the weight down. You will be happy you did :)
SJJP - SANTIAGO ( Sept-Nov 2016) ; (Aug.-Oct 2017) SJJP-SANTIAGO
Couldn't you give me an idea of what gear to pack for the September-November Camino? Thanks

Couldn't you give me an idea of what gear to pack for the September-November Camino? Thanks

Hi Kinnear!
I am sure there are good packing lists links somewhere on this forum if you do a search...
Here's what works for me:
2 walking outfits : T-shirt and shorts or long trousers or skirt
1 'silk' camisole and running shorts (for sleeping) but not strictly necessary. The camisole is good as extra layer if it gets very cold or on its own if it's very hot!
Something warm: for me now merino leggings and long sleeve top. But it doesn't have to be merino!)
2 sets of undies, 3 pairs of socks.
A fleece.
A light windproof jacket.
A poncho OR a waterproof jacket. (No need for windproof jacket if you take a waterproof one!)
Most important: a sun hat and a buff - or a 'beany' or something to keep your head warm....

On my first camino ( a Summer one) I used the clothes I already had at home, worked perfectly.
I also always take both a sleeping bag and a liner, but that's just me!

Hope it helps?
Buen camino :)

Last edited:
Hi Kinnear!
I am sure there are good packing lists links somewhere on this forum if you do a search...
Here's what works for me:
2 walking outfits : T-shirt and shorts or long trousers or skirt
1 'silk' camisole and running shorts (for sleeping) but not strictly necessary. The camisole is good as extra layer if it gets very cold or on its own if it's very hot!
Something warm: for me now merino leggings and long sleeve top. But it doesn't have to be merino!)
2 sets of undies, 3 pairs of socks.
A fleece.
A light windproof jacket.
A poncho OR a waterproof jacket. (No need for windproof jacket if you take a waterproof one!)
Most important: a sun hat and a buff - or a 'beany' or something to keep your head warm....

On my first camino ( a Summer one) I used the clothes I already had at home, worked perfectly.
I also always take both a sleeping bag and a liner, but that's just me!

Hope it helps?
Buen camino :)
Thanks. I'm on the right track - the merino set plus warm beanie and gloves to manage cold days and nights.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

You will have cold mornings, hot sunny days, raw rainy days (hopefully few) and days that are in between it all. Literally you will be prepping for three seasons. Don't get to hung up on all the wicking or technical clothing. A lot of it is hype. We will bring some lightweight long sleeve shirts, cotton/polyester blend undershirts, synthetic socks. We had zero blisters wearing the synthetics, we ditched the "Merino" wool socks and went straight to the synthetics on the advice of a seasoned bacpacker. Not one blister afterwards or even a hot spot. The key to happy feet is apply a thin coating of petroleum jelly (Vasoline) to your feet before putting your socks on ... everyday !!! Tiger balm works too. You will need either rain pants/jackets or a poncho, a hat, a hooded pullover. I think if you prep like you do for the seasons in NZ but keep it light and minimal you will be fine. There a lot of people more more experience here to assist you :)

Buen Camino !

Janet, you will be surprised how little you actually need to take. In Roncesvalles there are tables piled high with things pilgrims have decided to abandon after just one day of walking. Most women do carry a 35L pack, give or take a few L, even accounting for rain gear and change of seasons.

I researched this for months. Tried on several 36sh L bags and was getting frustrated. Then I read a post on the Forum...Aarn. New to me. Looked it up, and ordered an Aarn Marathon Magic 33. There is a distributor in Colorado, assuming you are American. I love it. It hugs my body, distributes the weight like I'm wearing nothing. We made a goal of 10 lbs. Just can't do it. I'm hoping for 13 in the end. No formula, just the lighter the better. Leaving for Paris April 19, via Newark. Buen Camino.

I love this approach,

Not sure when Osprey came out with the Mantra 36l but has anyone used it on the Camino yet? I have a 25L version I use for day hikes but just curious about the larger version on the Camino.

I also used a 48L Osprey on Camino with no regrets, as I use it for short backcountry trips.
If it is comfy use it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I appreciate all of the comments above related to the backpack question. I have already spent way more than I should preparing for walking the Camino in mid-May through June.

I have a barely used Deuter ACT lite 65+10 backpack. It is fairly comfortable, and I know, way more space than I need!

Can anyone comment on what it was like to use a backpack of this size?? How too much is too much? :)

Gracias,
Sue

I know that I'm very late to the table here, but I am a larger-sized woman (5'7") and I carry a 32L pack. I used it through a late fall Camino (finished Nov. 10th) and an early spring Camino (March through Early April). I had plenty of rain gear, wool, and a down bag, and a solid first aid kit. I had about two of each clothing item but three each on socks and other undergarments. I did not go without anything.

32 liters if fine if you don't have a thing extra--and I do mean that. I also used compression bags for my clothing items.

I appreciate all of the comments above related to the backpack question. I have already spent way more than I should preparing for walking the Camino in mid-May through June.

I have a barely used Deuter ACT lite 65+10 backpack. It is fairly comfortable, and I know, way more space than I need!

Can anyone comment on what it was like to use a backpack of this size?? How too much is too much? :)

Gracias,
Sue

My wife and I each had 65L packs last year (9/16 - 11/16). This year (8/17-10/17) we will be using our NEW backpacks. Her's a 38L ; mine a 48L. Bigger pack = more weight. When my wife broke a bone in her foot early on I had to carry some of her stuff and backpack weight soared to around 20kg. It made for a very tiresome journey. My backpack weight has gone from 18+ kg(without her things) down to just under 8kg. Smaller pack = less weight. :) By the way, we each tried about about 15 new backpacks until we found the one we wanted and both are Osprey Kestrels, 38L & 48L.

Buen Camino ! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.